Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,043 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. (8123 Views)

Nigerian Woman In Trouble For Battering Indian Lover (photo) / Elderly Nigerian Couple On A Romantic Date At A Park / 9 Tips For Keeping The Spark Alive In Your Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by chidyke77(m): 10:12pm On Dec 11, 2009
@poster this ain't a fresh news
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by jona2: 10:49pm On Dec 11, 2009
igbo kwenu. grin
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by Ndipe(m): 10:58pm On Dec 11, 2009
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by jona2: 11:00pm On Dec 11, 2009
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by olabowale(m): 11:41pm On Dec 11, 2009
@Reindeer and Kola Oloye: Imagine the evil that lurks in the heart of the master of the houses where Maids, Servants and second class citizenry are held? What will these people say to God the Almighty Creator when they die? Their wealth and all their arrogance will amount to nothing.

I will never keep anyone down. If I have a chauffer, he will wear from the clothe I wear. he will eat from the food that I eat, using the same table. That is nobility and should be the norm, for we are only custodian of what we own for a short period of time, as God permits.

Shame on the evil doers.
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by olabowale(m): 11:50pm On Dec 11, 2009
@nkb: « #19 on: Today at 02:40:47 PM »
Sure very rampant in nigeria, there is one currently happening around where i stay, a young girl of about 17 years, this woman brought her to lagos and promised to pay her slary, she stoped her from going to school, refused to pay her the agreed salary, make her work almost round the clock, as she is into mama put kind of business, the girl tried running away when the suffering became too much, but luck ran out on her after three days and they caught up with her and brought her back to continue in her suffering, though they promised to let her go this xmas , this young girl kept coming to me at every slightest opportunity she have complaining about her ordeal, i dont know what she expect me to do. am afraid to intrude in issues that concern me not, I hope they let her go this xmas as they have promised her
She approached you thinking that you have a heart, that you feel pain, too, she is in extreme pain. If you can affor to pay for her to go back to her people please do so. Nigerians, Christians and Muslims, those who oppress others among them are truly not believers in the religion that they say they follow a leader prophet that they claim.

Any Muslim wo oppresses is not from Muhammad (AS), if he cant find in his heart to be merciful. Those muslims who do not go against his oppression of others are themselves just as deviants.
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by 0hsisi: 1:10am On Dec 12, 2009
See people opening their mouths like some of their mother's didn't keep housegirls aka slaves in their own homes
It is common knowledge that these domestic servants alledge all sorts of things including sexual assault.Let them have their day in court and if found guilty, let the law take it's course and let it be a warning to others.
You can't import that Naija house girl wickedness into America or you will pay.
I know a woman here who brought her relative to care for her kids,all her own kids went to college but this poor girl never did.
She braids hair for a living.
what a tragedy
A girl who came here as a teenager and the only thing she benefitted from in this place is speaking Americana
I wanna gonna

The girl is almost becoming an old maid,in her late 30's,unmarried,no proper education
Which man wants a liability in their home.
The girl is also very pinchomic, her breasts and hips are non existent.
I don't even know if she's more than 4 feet,God knows if they fed her.
People are wicked.
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by kech(f): 2:33am On Dec 12, 2009
0hsisi:

See people opening their mouths like some of their mother's didn't keep housegirls aka slaves in their own homes
It is common knowledge that these domestic servants alledge all sorts of things including sexual assault.Let them have their day in court and if found guilty, let the law take it's course and let it be a warning to others.
You can't import that Naija house girl  wickedness into America or you will pay.
I know a woman here who brought her relative to care for her kids,all her own kids went to college but this poor girl never did.
She braids hair for a living.
what a tragedy
A girl who came here as a teenager and the only thing she benefitted from in this place is speaking Americana
I wanna gonna

The girl is almost becoming an old maid,in her late 30's,unmarried,no proper education
Which man wants a liability in their home.
The girl is also very pinchomic, her bosoms and hips are non existent.
I don't even know if she's more than 4 feet,God knows if they fed her.
People are wicked.

Thank you my dear! A lot of us had "housegirls". And if we are  honest to ourselves, most of our parents did not treat them well. I don't think there is anything wrong in bringing someone to the US to become a househelp. The only difference is that you MUST pay the person. If you don't, it is called SLAVERY (at least here in the US). People have house helps here.  My aunt has a house help who is spanish. A lot of people in Naija have been begging her to bring them over so that they can help her in the house but she said "No". She doesn't want story. It's just that some of our Naija people like to feel smart. They don't want to pay for housekeeping so they go to the village to import one naive girl/woman, promising her heaven. When she comes here she's made to do chores 24/7 without pay. They make her feel so indebted to them for bringing her to "America". One thing they forget though is that this is the US. It only takes a couple of months for the girl to "wise up", or for someone to notice something fishy. Americans are very nosy. Dem no dey wate time. You'll be there in your house thinking you are shielding the house girl from the world, you don't know that one old woman across is always looking thru her window. On the faithful day that the girl decides to go grocery shopping, there'll be someone walking up to her smiling and asking "simple" questions like " How are you honey?. I never see you around. Do you live here? What do you do?" The next think they are telling the whole neighborhood and someone is "anonymously" calling the police.
Dem no dey hear. This is the US, they don't play with stuff like slavery. If someone does a job for you, pay them!! There's no two ways about it. Once you pay them, it becomes legal. You are paying her for services rendered so technically there is a contract. No one can accuse you of anything.
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by 0hsisi: 2:43am On Dec 12, 2009
Thank you Kech.
You nailed it.
I had a live in nanny for a while through an agency
I paid heavily too
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by OgidiBoy(m): 2:45am On Dec 12, 2009
omg!!! this is like a few blocks from my parent's house shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by Odunnu: 6:14am On Dec 12, 2009
U guys hav bin screamin 'na wa o' and i'm like,whts d 'wa' in ds?
D copz gettin interestd,d idea of hvin a 'sex slave' or d fact dat she was 'smuggld' in?
Abeg, all thse happn like 30hrs in ur 24hrz!Its a regular item.
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by Nobody: 6:19am On Dec 12, 2009
They just exported the house maid tradition to the US is all. Happens in Nigeria like its a norm. Undecided Undecided
But dont you think by now that they should have known that US sees the involuntary service of a man [human beings] as slavery? Esp when the server is not being paid.

They should be arrested. They can't claim ignorance to this law.
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by Odunnu: 6:23am On Dec 12, 2009
U guys hav bin screamin 'na wa o' and i'm like,whts d 'wa' in ds?
D copz gettin interestd,d idea of hvin a 'sex slave' or d fact dat she was 'smuggld' in?
Abeg, all thse happn like 30hrs in ur 24hrz!Its a regular item.
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by Nobody: 9:31am On Dec 12, 2009
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by tdmoggy: 2:35pm On Dec 12, 2009
In defence of the Nigeria house boy/girl arrangement.

In Nigeria, housemaids and house boys are not locked up or denied access to the out side world.
Additionally, their passports and/or travel documents (if any) are not withheld.

They tend to be paid / or their people paid (based on what ever arrangement was put in place and agreed upon prior to commencement of the house boying service).

Does this mean abuses do not occur? of course not; but it is absurd to tar every one with the same brush. My parents were responsible for training our maid up to university level. To us kids growing up however, she was an auntie, and still is regarded as such up on till today. She is a very successful lady today laregely thanks to my parents, who also brought us up to respect her and see her as an aunt and not just a maid. This system does work if one takes out the abuse, and child labor/exploitation.

tdm
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by mamagee3(f): 6:24pm On Dec 12, 2009
Those people are in trouble. tongue
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by anneduke: 11:56pm On Dec 12, 2009
this is barbaric and inhumane.a Nigerian to treat a fellow Nigerian so low.i hope they pay for their wickedness.they forgot that what goes around comes around.by the time they finish serving their sentence,they wld have lost everything and it wld their turn to become worse slaves.
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by greateliso(m): 1:57pm On Dec 13, 2009
too bad
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by Theblessed(f): 9:07pm On Dec 13, 2009
tdmoggy:

In Nigeria, housemaids and house boys are not locked up or denied access to the out side world.
Additionally, their passports and/or travel documents (if any) are not withheld.

They tend to be paid / or their people paid (based on what ever arrangement was put in place and agreed upon prior to commencement of the house boying service).

Does this mean abuses do not occur? of course not; but it is absurd to tar every one with the same brush. My parents were responsible for training our maid up to university level. To us kids growing up however, she was an auntie, and still is regarded as such up on till today. She is a very successful lady today laregely thanks to my parents, who also brought us up to respect her and see her as an aunt and not just a maid. This system does work if one takes out the abuse, and child labor/exploitation.

tdm
[b]So, by your house girl turning out perfect, made slavery right then, eh Therefore, all poor and people in need requiring support from us, should try it, first! How, cruel you are angry angry angry angry How, I wish I could hear the experiences of the enslaved in particular, that of your auntie, you are talking about here. I'm sure, there's a book in her that is, a best seller. 

If only human beings would treat each other the same without differentiating then, there wouldn't be 'Slavery'. God frowns on Slavery you know hence, his deliverance of the people of Israel from bondage in Egypt.  Obviously, the Egyptian slave masters, enjoyed the services as well as the maltreatments they dished out on the Israelites hence the reluctance to accord them their freedoms. The same principle applies in every slave and master relationship situation as Genesis Chpts. 29 to 31 testifies what Laban, Jacob's uncle put him through before he could gain his freedom. Therefore, this act of Slavery is not a very nice thing people! And those who advocate it should please, walk a mile in a slave's shoe then, they will know!

But why would anyone enslave another if not for lack of humanity in themselves? That 'Good Samaritan act', and that 'love thy Neighbour as yourself thing' obviously does not register. As a result, I ask those who love to enslave others, if you can afford to enslave them or buy their services with your wealth, why can't you afford to show mercy and humanity at least, by being 'charitable' in their times of need? 

No, it's all about benefit/gain, what's in it for me? After all, what would I gain from helping them?  They are not my family some would say? Again, I ask what happens to humanity? What happens to helping someone you don't know without asking for rewards?   

This is because, Nigerians love this servant and Master thing - boy, boy thing! Yes, they love to be respected, adored, honoured and worshipped hence their love for titles - Oga, oga, Madam, madam, Sir, sir, Alhaji, Alhaja, Chief this and that etc as a way of distinguishing themselves from riff-raff in society thus, all the signs and elements of bondage in our society and on our own people.

As we all know, a head cutter does not like his own head cut, does he? Obviously, when a master/madam doesn't know what it is to be a servant or slave, wouldn't they think it's their God given right to trash others? To that I suggest, they put themselves through the experience then, they would know what it is like and how to treat/respect others, no matter how small and poor.  Maybe, this concept of boy, boy - an exploitation of the poor, so rampant in our society will begin to disappear. Maybe, when everyone become as successful as the auntie above then,  people would learn to clean their own dirts without waiting for a slave.
[/b]
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by tdmoggy: 9:19pm On Dec 13, 2009
your resonse, lacks an understanding of my context. re-read my posting
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by kodewrita(m): 10:28pm On Dec 13, 2009
This will continue as long as nigerians continue to live with stone age mentality. Agreed its a necessary stage of development but most countries now use household gadgets like vacuums and services like laundries to make life easier and their chores easier to do.

As long as banker ladies (and other working mothers) are willing to send one poor uneducated girl back and forth between school and home to get their kids (instead of the school bus), it will continue.

As long as people are willing to have someone else's child illiterate and serving as shop attendant while their own kids prepare for MBBS, it will continue.

Lets hope we go beyond this.
tdmoggy:

tdm
I am surprised you would actually come out to defend a scheme of servitude. A scheme that kept her in your house irrespective of her deeper wishes until you guys were old enough for your parents to come to the conclusion that her services were not needed. Thank God your parents were good-hearted people, but it still doesnt change the fact that they participated in a very bad tradition. A holdover from ancient times.

I am not pretending to be innocent since I had househelps taking care of me when I was younger and as we speak right now, one is in my parents' home (though the workload is lower since all the kids are out of the home and the parents still 9-5 it most times).

Lets not defend something shameful.
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by Theblessed(f): 10:50pm On Dec 13, 2009
tdmoggy:

your resonse, lacks an understanding of my context. re-read my posting

[b] I don't need to re-read your essay.  The mere thought of negotiating for someone's child to come and live with you in your own household and serve you/family, is disgusting!  Since this concept of boy, boy thing is so marvellous, why didn't your parents send you off some where to serve.  Maybe, you'd be here now writing about your own sad experiences. 

YOU SEE, I DON'T BUY THAT IDEA OF EXPLOITING THE POOR BY PRETENDING TO HELP THEM.

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO HELP, YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO DO, DON'T YOU  YOU WOULD NOT ASK FOR ANY REWARDS WHATSOEVER AND CERTAINLY, NOT THEIR CHILDREN COMING TO LIVE WITH YOU AS A RESULT, AS THIS GIVES RISE TO ABUSIVE AND CRUEL SITUATIONS WE ARE ALL HERE, READING ABOUT.   

Because of poverty, I don't blame people for their wicked/cruel attitudes towards others as that's why, people find it so difficult to help others.  Also, the problems we have in Africa are not only poverty oriented/linked but also, grandiosity - our need to be recognised/worshipped. Because, we have money and know we have the ability/access to most things in life, we tend to show our wealth in many negative and oppressive ways thus, the evil.
[/b]
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by FayeZik(f): 12:33am On Dec 14, 2009
I bet there are more cases like this, just hope and pray the law catch up with them. Very wicked and selfish souls.
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by Nwaka77: 7:27am On Dec 14, 2009
Theblessed:

[b] I don't need to re-read your essay. The mere thought of negotiating for someone's child to come and live with you in your own household and serve you/family, is disgusting! Since this concept of boy, boy thing is so marvellous, why didn't your parents send you off some where to serve. Maybe, you'd be here now writing about your own sad experiences.

YOU SEE, I DON'T BUY THAT IDEA OF EXPLOITING THE POOR BY PRETENDING TO HELP THEM.

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO HELP, YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO DO, DON'T YOU YOU WOULD NOT ASK FOR ANY REWARDS WHATSOEVER AND CERTAINLY, NOT THEIR CHILDREN COMING TO LIVE WITH YOU AS A RESULT, AS THIS GIVES RISE TO ABUSIVE AND CRUEL SITUATIONS WE ARE ALL HERE, READING ABOUT.

Because of poverty, I don't blame people for their wicked/cruel attitudes towards others as that's why, people find it so difficult to help others. Also, the problems we have in Africa are not only poverty oriented/linked but also, grandiosity - our need to be recognised/worshipped. Because, we have money and know we have the ability/access to most things in life, we tend to show our wealth in many negative and oppressive ways thus, the evil.
[/b]

Thank you my sister! I agree with all you have said. Nigerians and their quest to be served. You even see it in many Naija marraiges. They carry that master-servant attitude into their marraiges with the man thinking he is the master and his wife the servant or slave. I thank God I am out of that place called Naija. Terrible, terrible, terrible! No wonder we are not moving forward.
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by otukpo(f): 10:32am On Dec 14, 2009
Theblessed:

[b] I don't need to re-read your essay. The mere thought of negotiating for someone's child to come and live with you in your own household and serve you/family, is disgusting! Since this concept of boy, boy thing is so marvellous, why didn't your parents send you off some where to serve. Maybe, you'd be here now writing about your own sad experiences.

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO HELP, YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO DO, DON'T YOU YOU WOULD NOT ASK FOR ANY REWARDS WHATSOEVER AND CERTAINLY, NOT THEIR CHILDREN COMING TO LIVE WITH YOU AS A RESULT, AS THIS GIVES RISE TO ABUSIVE AND CRUEL SITUATIONS WE ARE ALL HERE, READING ABOUT.

Because of poverty, I don't blame people for their wicked/cruel attitudes towards others as that's why, people find it so difficult to help others. Also, the problems we have in Africa are not only poverty oriented/linked but also, grandiosity - our need to be recognised/worshipped. Because, we have money and know we have the ability/access to most things in life, we tend to show our wealth in many negative and oppressive ways thus, the evil.
[/b]

You are getting it all wrong.

For example, i have a househelp who i chose to be refered as to my sister evn though i don't know her family well.

i put her in school, give her extra lessons, she eats form the same pot and on the same table with me. She has every right to discipline my kids even in my presence. i don't in any way treat as i would not treat a younger sister. and in the house chores, i do it with her. As a matter of fact, i make sure that anybody that visits or stays in my house treat her with the same respect. And i take it seriosly.

Tell me, would u call that slavery or inhumanity. To tell u, i have done for that girl what she wld not have gotten staying with the mother. Maybe, is she had remained in the village, the best they wld do is marry her off to one illitrate village man.

My mom has another staying with her. She put the boy in school. Infact, the boy causes more trouble for my mom than rendering any help. Several times, my mom had to send for the parents to come and take their son and they refused saying that the boy is better off with my mom.

Will u call all these slavery? At one point or the other, we may need helps to help us keep our homes and what matters is how we treat them.

It is never a crime to have a househelp.
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by Nobody: 12:10pm On Dec 14, 2009
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by Hercules75(m): 12:15pm On Dec 14, 2009
The couple, who have been charged with conspiracy, forced labor, document servitude, alien harboring and false statements. Someone with ALL this charges, wat do u EXPECT?
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by stede(m): 4:48pm On Dec 14, 2009
Hercules75:

The couple, who have been charged with conspiracy, forced labor, document servitude, alien harboring and false statements. Someone with ALL this charges, wat do u EXPECT?

this is a sorry case
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by afrikaam(m): 7:22pm On Dec 14, 2009
Isnt this what happens to millions across africa. Esp, in Naija. Its just not great at all, one must ensure these injusticies are stamped out. Crazy they thought they could get away with it in US though. Strange people.

Na wa Oooooooo
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by Theblessed(f): 8:57pm On Dec 14, 2009
chaircover:

What TheBlessed is saying is that one doesn’t have to have to expect something back in return before doing something good for someone less privileged than us.

People seem to be justifying the reward of sending them to school in return for people leaving their own families to work as house helps in another person’s family. Most of the time, the sad thing is that these house helps are only kids themselves.

I have heard the Nigerian vs Western world argument for house helps; larger houses to maintain, more dusty, traffic jams so more difficulty in getting to the market, longer working hours etc but there are some Nigerian families who don’t have house helps & still manage to cope.

Hi Chaircover,

Thanks for making things much simpler and more understandable for some!  Some people don't get it, do they?? From what I'm seeing, it would take wild horses to drag it off their mentality/psych, honest!
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by 0hsisi: 2:31am On Dec 17, 2009
chaircover:

What TheBlessed is saying is that one doesn’t have to have to expect something back in return before doing something good for someone less privileged than us.

People seem to be justifying the reward of sending them to school in return for people leaving their own families to work as house helps in another person’s family. Most of the time, the sad thing is that these house helps are only kids themselves.

I have heard the Nigerian vs Western world argument for house helps; larger houses to maintain, more dusty, traffic jams so more difficulty in getting to the market, longer working hours etc but there are some Nigerian families who don’t have house helps & still manage to cope.

There is nothing wrong in having househelps
The wrong is in the way they are treated.
As long as the individual is treated well, paid for their services by cash or by batter (learning a trade etc) and if a child educated to any level his abilities can take him to
There is absolutely nothing wrong in having someone care for your family and home
In America they are called nannies,au pairs,babysitters ,housekeepers etc and they are paid for their domestic services.

what some of you forget is that there are some people out there who cannot afford the children they have
You've seen some of them begging on the streets under the rain and sun or hawking food items on the streets
would you rather they did this or sent by their parents to someone like Otukpo who would feed,clothe,pay for her school fees while she helps her around the house with age appropriate errands.
I'm sure like any reasonable mother her own children if of age will also help around the house
We had a house boy growing up.He lived with us from the age of 12,he's now an Engineer with a masters degree courtesy of my parents, married with a family of his own.
The problem is not in having a housegirl or boy but in how they are treated.
Re: Nigerian Couple In Arlington,tx In Trouble For Keeping Slaves. by amebono1: 3:06am On Dec 17, 2009
We had househelp when we were growing up(she was an orphan), infact my parents have one now

The school i attended was the same she attended, she was a prefect then and never failed to caution me, i used to be hot tempered but she pulled me out of it, it all depends on the relationship in the family

I was in js2 when she was ss3, and i remember my parents wanted to send her out of the country to do her masters but fortunately or unfortunately she got married before then, i get to see her alot every august when shes on vacation with her family, i remember when my mum was admitted in the hospital, this woman helped cook for my dad, clean the house and spent quality time wt my mum in the hospital,cos we were all away

What im i trying to say? its not a crime to have a househelp, its all about how well you treat them though some of them r d devils advocate nd never appreciate you even when you lick the ground for them

Im not saying the OP's story is not true but i hope the househelp has not gotten herself mixed up with bad advicers , advicing or telling her that she can make money by formulating all kinds of rubbish

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can't Find A Wife / Dirty Talks During Sex!!! / I'm In Big Mess, Please Advice Me On What To Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.