Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,951 members, 7,835,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Would The World Be Better Without Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Would The World Be Better Without Religion? (878 Views)

Would You Like To See A World Without Religion? Why? / Would You Be Kind Without Religion? / Religious Atheism EXPOSED : God Without Religion and Religion Without God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by benzics(m): 6:55pm On Feb 24, 2017
Yes, people often ask this question, but would the world really be better without religion?

As an atheist, I discovered many super powers, lol, yeah... I never believed I could be this loving.

I once hated gays, and they just disgust me, but once I left religion and embraced humanity, I found love in this people, the hate I once had for homos disappeared.

And it's no longer a hidden fact that the most hateful sect of people are actually Christians, while the most violent are Muslims.. If you want to know how hateful a Christian is, converse with him..

I don't know, but I find Muslims more enlightened, but just that they lack basic sense of humor, and get annoyed over useless things, but a moderate or liberal Muslim is just intelligent.. Same with the moderate Christians.

But it's very difficult to find religious moderates around us, take nairaland as a case study, when you go through posts by Christians, you find out how hateful these people can be..

The other day, a Christian told me he would kill me with a plank if he met me, because I supported gay rights.. WTF??

Another one said she would rather watch all her kids being killed than denounce Jesus. When you read things like these, you'll know humanity is f-cked.

The world would be actually better than it is now without religion, but will not be totally free of crimes and atrocities.

Without all these hateful sons of an imaginary hateful bastard, and violent followers of a pedophilic warlord, don't you think the world would be better?

Atheism does not guarantee a hate free or peaceful world, but humanism does..

I long for the day when people would realize that this world is all we have, and act humanly to every inhabitants of the earth, where Christianity and Islam is seen as "ancient myths", I know that day is coming..

Remember, people once worshipped Thor and Odin, as real gods, but today these gods are regarded as myths, I know the day Allah and Yahweh will be regarded as myths, is coming..

The world really need to be free of religious idiocy.

Cc: jonbellion, akintom, hahn, hopefullandlord, 4kings, randomperson, felixomor, kingebukasblog.

Would the world really be better without religion? What's your say..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by johnydon22(m): 7:14pm On Feb 24, 2017
no, i absolutely doubt that. religion or no religion people can still be assholes.... i myself think that religion is really important and that sometimes it is useful and serves a profound purpose.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by KanwuliaExtra: 7:21pm On Feb 24, 2017

1 Like

Re: Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by felixomor: 7:39pm On Feb 24, 2017
Bros, abeg pack ur bag and go to north korea.
They may give u free visa.
There is no religion there.

You will like it undecided
Then come back and tell us your experience.
Re: Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by zionmade(m): 7:42pm On Feb 24, 2017
KanwuliaExtra:
You should see how peaceful life is in the LEAST religious nations ke! grin

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-secular-life/201410/secular-societies-fare-better-religious-societies
Without religion man's heart its absolutely wicked.
It was religion dat gave birth to almost all the constitutions in the world. Those constitutions are built on d morality dat religion teaches.
Men are extremely wicked, its only religion dat tends to restrain d exhibition of this wickedness.
Talking about peace, can u name on Christianity, budhism or hinduism dominated countries where there is less peace dan ur so called secular countries.

You wont die if u rephrase d statement. The world could have been better without islam.
Re: Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by hopefulLandlord: 7:43pm On Feb 24, 2017
The real world is often non-intuitive. We use the scientific method in order not to deceive ourselves. New technologies create new knowledge. We have tools to test (or reject) hypotheses. We also tested the religions tools and found that they lead to stagnation, ignorance and worship of dogma. We are here the great we: humanity.

Science and religion can not be reconciled: science works - religion does not.

on another note

Religion exacerbates some problems, but I am not sure how much impact eliminating it will have. Humans are masters of dividing themselves up with rhetoric and proceeding viciously towards one another. The Alt-Right and many of Europe's far right political parties are just as vitriolic as religious extremists in their area, but their views tend to be independent of religion. I think religion is more an intensifier (makes already accepted norms/values sacred) of human behavior rather than some special evil-society worshiping itself, both the good and the bad aspects.

but the below gem still holds true

“With or without religion , good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for
good people to do evil - that takes religion.”

Steven Weinberg

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by hopefulLandlord: 7:56pm On Feb 24, 2017
zionmade:

It was religion dat gave birth to almost all the constitutions in the world. Those constitutions are built on d morality dat religion teaches.
Men are extremely wicked, its only religion dat tends to restrain d exhibition of this wickedness.

“With or without religion , good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for
Steven Weinberg

Talking about peace, can u name on Christianity, budhism or hinduism dominated countries where there is less peace dan ur so called secular countries.

did you even visit the link he gave before spilling this?
Re: Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by zionmade(m): 8:05pm On Feb 24, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Steven Weinberg

did you even visit the link he gave before spilling this?
Ok continue in ur atheism afterall big bang products cant just stick their nose to their big bangedness and leave others to believe wat they believe.
Anyway u know wat i tell people like u CHRISTIANITY IS NOT A RELIGION
Re: Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by hopefulLandlord: 8:07pm On Feb 24, 2017
zionmade:

Ok continue in ur atheism afterall big bang products cant just stick their nose to their big bangedness and leave others to believe wat they believe.
Anyway u know wat i tell people like u CHRISTIANITY IS NOT A RELIGION

first off, Not every atheist accepts the big bang theory; big bang was started by a religious person cheesy

Secondly, "Religion" = the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

maybe Christianity is a sport

Thirdly, you sound bipolar consider the below

zionmade:

you added Christianity up there but it ceased to be a religion one post later

apparently, you want to call Christianity a religion when convenient and say its not a religion when convenient

Re: Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by benzics(m): 9:21pm On Feb 24, 2017
zionmade:

You wont die if u rephrase d statement. The world could have been better without islam.
Islam is our current problem now, but if not because Christianity was forced to adapt to civilization, the world would have been worse with these two brothers in crime

2 Likes

Re: Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by akintom(m): 9:35pm On Feb 24, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

- Steven Weinberg
The above is simply the summary of the influence of religion in the world.

But assuming god idea doesn't exist in human consciousness, i suppose the following will characterize human experience:

* most human will be more critical in their thinking, which will result in increased mental capacity utilization.

This will occur, since all that man will depend on for answers and solutions, will be his brain.

* human beings will lean less, towards the vanity of needless material acquisition.

Most mad craving after stupendous wealth, streamed from the desire to make the majority "have not", to be subservient.

The very attribute of the gods.

* If men have no illusion of life after death, they will make the very best of this very one, that we got by chance.

* The share of fraud, extortion, violence, hatred, discrimination, killings and wickedness, that have direct and indirect origin in god idea (religion), Will be non existent in the world.

Based on the above, the world will be better place without religion.

WITHOUT RELIGION, THE WORLD WILL BE LESS OF THE EVILS, THAT RELIGION CREATED!
Re: Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by CriticMaestro: 9:52pm On Feb 24, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Steven Weinberg
Doestoesvki's quote "If God doesn't exist, everything is permissible"
Re: Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by akintom(m): 10:13pm On Feb 24, 2017
CriticMaestro:
*Is it your pastor or imam that is enforcing law and order in Nigeria?

* Are your pastors and imams not enmeshed in all kinds of offenses that be in the world?

* What has your gods done to help those who worship them?
They suffer all kinds of discomfort that be in the world!

* Without your gods, the world will be less of evils that religion created.
Re: Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by hopefulLandlord: 10:16pm On Feb 24, 2017
CriticMaestro:
Hopefullandlord's quote "if god(s) exist, everything is permissible"
Re: Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by hopefulLandlord: 10:18pm On Feb 24, 2017
akintom:

The above is simply the summary of the influence of religion in the world.

But assuming god idea doesn't exist in human consciousness, i suppose the following will characterize human experience:

* most human will be more critical in their thinking, which will result in increased mental capacity utilization.

This will occur, since all that man will depend on for answers and solutions, will be his brain.

* human beings will lean less, towards the vanity of needless material acquisition.

Most mad craving after stupendous wealth, streamed from the desire to make the majority "have not", to be subservient.

The very attribute of the gods.

* If men have no illusion of life after death, they will make the very best of this very one, that we got by chance.

* The share of fraud, extortion, violence, hatred, discrimination, killings and wickedness, that have direct and indirect origin in god idea (religion), Will be non existent in the world.

Based on the above, the world will be better place without religion.

WITHOUT RELIGION, THE WORLD WILL BE LESS OF THE EVILS, THAT RELIGION CREATED!

interesting

1 Like

Re: Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by randomperson: 10:31pm On Feb 24, 2017
The world will be a better place without religion... Not a perfect or ideal place but definitely better. If people don't have to pay tithes, they would have extra money to take care of other things.
The sentiments involved in elections would be reduced by one.
There will be less noise pollution.
Muslims would not kill Christians simply because they are Christians.
People will be more liberal and objective. Racism, misogyny, paedophilia, terrorism will reduce.
The world would not be perfect but it will be much better.

1 Like

Re: Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by hopefulLandlord: 10:48pm On Feb 24, 2017
randomperson:
The world will be a better place without religion... Not a perfect or ideal place but definitely better. If people don't have to pay tithes, they would have extra money to take care of other things.
The sentiments involved in elections would be reduced by one.
There will be less noise pollution.
Muslims would not kill Christians simply because they are Christians.
People will be more liberal and objective. Racism, misogyny, paedophilia, terrorism will reduce.
The world would not be perfect but it will be much better.

1 Like

Re: Would The World Be Better Without Religion? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Feb 24, 2017
I actually think the world needs religion, at least until we all embrace humanism. Fact is humans are a terrible species, we like to think that we are better than lower animals but are we really?. I'm not confident enough "good people" in the world to do away completely with the thought control of religion, if the idea of a god punishing them is going to give a killer pause then sure thats a plus. I acknowledge the thought control can also be used to influence people to do bad things, I know there will be some christians/muslims here on NL that if their pastor or imam told them to kill an atheist for gods kingdom they would do it, but i guess thats a tradeoff. In a world whee everyone was humanist I would say do away with it but its needed at the moment, eventually humans will come to a point where we dont need the idea of a god to make us good people and when that happens religion wil lose its influence.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Selfish Instinct: Whoever Created Living Things Does Not Deserve Reference / Why Scientists Haven’t Discovered Hell Yet? / Is God Sovereign? - Paul Ellis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.