Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,511 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Which African Country Speaks The Best English? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which African Country Speaks The Best English? (54194 Views)

Please Which Is The Best English Grammar Text / Which African Country Speaks The Best English Language / LIST: Best English Speaking Countries In Africa See Where Nigeria Is On The List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by rhames(m): 1:57pm On Feb 25, 2017
preselect:
African countries competing on who can speak a foreign language better. . . . . . . SMH

#BuhariGotNoBrains

Reboot their brains.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by RichEstate(m): 2:00pm On Feb 25, 2017
Can I see your own list? Have you interacted with people from these nations? The problem you can point out is that you are likely to have interacted with uneducated Nigerian and you mistaken him or her for educated one, you know why? Educated or not, Nigerians are 'toosh' unfortunately no African nation can beat that, hence south Africans and Ghanaians beefing
Just30:
your list is bullshit because
Nigerians have the worse pronunciations
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by dafuturis(m): 2:04pm On Feb 25, 2017
I can bet my testicles that South Africa is far behind Nigeria in spoken English.

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by PetroDolla3: 2:12pm On Feb 25, 2017
Shitnigerians talking crap, as usual!

Iamthoney:
Op beta go hide ooo cos Ghana people dey come for you oooo. So with all their gra gra, agidi and over sabi na 9 dem carry chai. Kenya even top dem. Charlie Ayam not understanding seriously
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by DavidEsq(m): 2:13pm On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:

Why do you think I' am unable to speak my native language?
Did I say so or suggest so? Just answer the question jare. Dis is how APC answers questions: they simply dodge the main issue
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by davidif: 2:14pm On Feb 25, 2017
Akpevwe9:
While I was browsing the net this evening with my itel S31, came across this and decided to share.
Who speaks the best English in Africa? And the answer is Uganda. According to the world linguistic Agency, Uganda takes the cake for being the best English speaking African Nation.
First off, the idea behind the best English speaking African nation ranking is in no way to slight any nation. Africa is a country of an entirely different culture from the west. So, it is understandable that some African countries are still not fluent in them. As a matter of fact not all the nations of the world fancy the English language.
English language is the global/international language at the moment.
Like we say, anything worth doing is worth doing well. There are 28 English speaking African nations. From these 28, the World Linguistic Agency made a list of those who speak the best of English language in Africa.
Best English Speaking Countries In Africa:

1. Uganda

2. South Africa

3. Nigeria

4. Kenya

5. Zambia

6. Botswana

7. Zimbabwe

8. Malawi

9. Ghana

10. Rwanda

11. Sudan

It is also worthy to mention that as some countries were not colonized by the British, their Lingua franca differs. It will be asking too much to expect fluency from them.

Is that supposed to be a source of pride? There are many Nigerians who can't speak there native languages fluently but can boast of speaking the language of three former oppressors fluently.
I am waiting for the day an American or a European would boast of how well they speak Yoruba, Hausa or igbo.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Emperormartin(m): 2:37pm On Feb 25, 2017
We would have been no. 1 but those peeps up north sha............. They don't see education as priority
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 2:39pm On Feb 25, 2017
RichEstate:
Can I see your own list? Have you interacted with people from these nations? The problem you can point out is that you are likely to have interacted with uneducated Nigerian and you mistaken him or her for educated one, you know why? Educated or not, Nigerians are 'toosh' unfortunately no African nation can beat that, hence south Africans and Ghanaians beefing
i have a Nigerian friend in Ghana who attended school in Nigeria from Primary level to Edo State University and He did Chemistry. He speaks good English but his pronunciations of most words are often wrong. I work in the Telecom industry and i meet uneducated Nigerians all the time and their kind of English is horrible , even though i understand them. i'm only able to do this because i had my primary education in Liberia and i can say, Liberia's kind of American English is the worse.
i've been with South Africans and some East Africans , i can say they speak very good English
when you listen to their pronunciations.

for most Nigerians to mention deɪtə as Dartar ......(Data)
i can say its a new level of insanity
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by PetroDolla3: 2:39pm On Feb 25, 2017
Go ahead now. What are you waiting for? And I guess the spoken nigerian English is great, fantastic, huh? I no wan laugh, I beg. Fuckeduppedness cool

Jregz
post=54046391:

Don't let their intonation fool you.. I have Ghanaian cousins - I currently have spent the last 4 months with two of them (in Nigeria), I also had Ghanaians in secondary school . Their spoken English is terrible, intonation itself makes me want to slap the living hell off them
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by ATERI(m): 2:41pm On Feb 25, 2017
I still remember Idi Amin`s English very well. It has to be the best in the world, not only in Africa. Dullards grading dullards!
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by PetroDolla3: 2:44pm On Feb 25, 2017
You are wrong. Ghanaians are not competing with anybody, certainly not nigerians. You compete with somebody who is ahead if you, not somebody you are better than. cool
RichEstate:
I don't know the yard stick used in arriving at that but I want to strongly disagree with the list.
I interact on daily basis with Kenyans, Ethiopians, Ugandans, Ghanaians, Cameroonians, south Africans, Zimbabweans and of course Nigerians. All graduates of their different countries.
1. You can hardly understand what an Ugandan is saying because of their heavy accent.
2. Cameroon understandably is French speaking nation but those who speak English among do better than Uganda graduates
3. Ethiopians are not bad only that they have this kind of Hausa accent and therefore tend to pronounce words wrongly
4. Ghanaians speak good English, they are not forming only that they like competing with Nigeria but South Africa is better than them.
5. I still feel Zimbabwe speaks fluent, clear English than south Africa
6. Kenyans are a little better than Ghanaians
7. Nigeria has the best accent when it comes to speaking English. We like forming but Europeans and Americans feel comfortable when we speak compared to the aforementioned.

My list
Nigeria
Zimbabwe
South Africa
Kenya
Ghana
Ethiopia
Cameroon
Uganda

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by potent5(m): 2:48pm On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:
This type of topic should be deleted by the moderators as its promoting slavery. English is not our language!!. It is a language forced down the throats of our ancestors when we were slaves, and as such, you shouldn't be proud speaking it.

Some of you often ask; what were our ancestors doing to have been enslaved? What they were doing is the same thing you're doing today when you promote English language or feel proud speaking it.

Our native languages are now in a sorry state, some under threat of extinction, while we're busy fooling around promoting English. I regret to have learned to speak English in school. I wish I invested all that time studying Igbo language and one other Nigerian language, like Yoruba or Hausa. If I could go back to school I'll invest my time studying our native languages.
Bros, you know you can go back to school any day you want, even at 99years old. Just lead the way we'll follow.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by safarigirl(f): 3:01pm On Feb 25, 2017
Just30:
yes the South Africans are correct. You Nigerians have the horrible
pronunciations

blak
lok... Well, the Brits don't say 'blek', so i doubt the SAcans have the correct pronunciation
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Sultty(m): 3:02pm On Feb 25, 2017
Not entirely true, they are some exceptions in some tribes in Nigeria. They speak English wrongly
Just30:
Still denying a fact . We have the best pronunciations and our accent is unique.

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Willybos(m): 3:09pm On Feb 25, 2017
saintikechi:
Biafra
luk at this barfull!!!
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by CoolVoice(m): 3:17pm On Feb 25, 2017
Just30:
mind you, according to Phonetics
thats the best pronunciation.

The way you Nigerians pronounce that word is horrible.

Listen to the pronounciation of "work" both American and British English

Just click the speaker icon next to UK and US

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/work?q=Work

Where did you get your phonetic from? Smh
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by emi14: 3:23pm On Feb 25, 2017
Akpevwe9:
While I was browsing the net this evening with my itel S31, came across this and decided to share.
Who speaks the best English in Africa? And the answer is Uganda. According to the world linguistic Agency, Uganda takes the cake for being the best English speaking African Nation.
First off, the idea behind the best English speaking African nation ranking is in no way to slight any nation. Africa is a country of an entirely different culture from the west. So, it is understandable that some African countries are still not fluent in them. As a matter of fact not all the nations of the world fancy the English language.
Like we say, anything worth doing is worth doing well. There are 28 English speaking African nations. From these 28, the World Linguistic Agency made a list of those who speak the best of English language in Africa.

1. Uganda

2. South Africa

3. Nigeria

4. Kenya

5. Zambia

6. Botswana

7. Zimbabwe

8. Malawi

9. Ghana

10. Rwanda

11. Sudan

It is also worthy to mention that as some countries were not colonized by the British, their Lingua franca differs. It will be asking too much to expect fluency from them.

I disagree with the assessment.. Ghana and southAfrica speaks better than Uganda. I hv been to Sa, Ug and Gh.

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Feb 25, 2017
Just30:
Its a list of the successfully colonized countries. In Ghana English only come second to the various Akan Languages when it comes to the most spoken languages
Kk
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Exjoker(m): 3:50pm On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:
This type of topic should be deleted by the moderators as its promoting slavery. English is not our language!!. It is a language forced down the throats of our ancestors when we were slaves, and as such, you shouldn't be proud speaking it.

Some of you often ask; what were our ancestors doing to have been enslaved? What they were doing is the same thing you're doing today when you promote English language or feel proud speaking it.

Our native languages are now in a sorry state, some under threat of extinction, while we're busy fooling around promoting English. I regret to have learned to speak English in school. I wish I invested all that time studying Igbo language and one other Nigerian language, like Yoruba or Hausa. If I could go back to school I'll invest my time studying our native languages.
And you are now using your native languages...
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Heavance(m): 3:59pm On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:

My brother, we get another language like Pidgin wey we fit use de communicate. Pidgin na language wey you go fit use talk to anybody for Nigeria and him go understand you well well pass English sef.

Na because our mind never open, we no no who we bi, na him mek we carry English wey bi another man language put for head.
Yeah...
but same pidgin is not our language, it was the English our forefathers spoke as they were not to fluent in English, that's why it is called broken English.
So somehow, we still have to come down to the english
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by engrchykae(m): 4:05pm On Feb 25, 2017
Onyochejohn:
anybody you see type or mention afonja is a classic fools , afonja according to history was a local worrior who fought against Fulani rulership Ilorin kwara state, kwara state is a North Central Nigeria comprises of many tribes and languages
you started the story of afonja but along the line,you ignorantly or deliberately decided not to finish the story.anyway,let me help you,afonja as a high ranking military officer of the oyo empire who was tasked with the responsibility of protecting illorin initially fought against the jihadist fulanis but along the line tried to be smart by selling out to the fulanis so that after the fall of illorin,the fulanis would instal him as their puppet oba, the fulanis agreed but immediately the fall of illorin,the jihadists showered arrows on afonja and placed a born to rule fulani as the emir of illorin instead of an oba,thus afonja caused the eternal loss of illorin to the emirate.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Feb 25, 2017
engrchykae:
you started the story of afonja but along the line,you ignorantly or deliberately decided not to finish the story.anyway,let me help you,afonja as a high ranking military officer of the oyo empire who was tasked with the responsibility of protecting illorin initially fought against the jihadist fulanis but along the line tried to be smart by selling out to the fulanis so that after the fall of illorin,the fulanis would instal him as their puppet oba, the fulanis agreed but immediately the fall of illorin,the jihadists showered arrows on afonja and placed a born to rule fulani as the emir of illorin instead of an oba,thus afonja caused the eternal loss of illorin to the emirate.
thank you Sir, my worry is these people referring to all Yoruba race as afonja
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by musicwriter(m): 4:24pm On Feb 25, 2017
Heavance:

Yeah...
but same pidgin is not our language, it was the English our forefathers spoke as they were not to fluent in English, that's why it is called broken English.
So somehow, we still have to come down to the english

When two languages collide something called a creole language evolves. That's exactly how English language itself evolved!!. Pidgin English is a creole language originating from collision of European's and our languages. Today, Pidgin is a language in its own right like Jamaican Patois and many other creole languages.

For your information, Britain was also mostly colonized by Germans, French, Spaniards, Rome, within the 4th-5th century AD. During their time of slavery they also spoke a mixure of English and the other languages of their captors. But, once they regained their freedom, they banned all foreign languages in the entire British isle, and adopted their native English language (which was then 40% local and 60% foreign language) just as Pidgin is today. The year was 1362 and it was only then that English became an official language. Therefore, what we learn today as English is just a standardized creole language like Pidgin!!.

When our eyes open to our stupidity, we will ban English in our lands and pay attention to our native languages. Many Asian nations who were also colonized had already made that change.

My people, open your eyes!. English was not originally an official language!!. It became an official language only in 1362!!!.

The origin of English language. Everybody should see these videos, it's under 20 minutes, all.

The evolution of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIzFz9T5rhI
The origin of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEaSxhcns7Y
The history of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3ZJuCbklqg
How languages evolve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWDKsHm6gTA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by bollify(m): 5:15pm On Feb 25, 2017
Just30:
i have a Nigerian friend in Ghana who attended school in Nigeria from Primary level to Edo State University and He did Chemistry. He speaks good English but his pronunciations of most words are often wrong. I work in the Telecom industry and i meet uneducated Nigerians all the time and their kind of English is horrible , even though i understand them. i'm only able to do this because i had my primary education in Liberia and i can say, Liberia's kind of American English is the worse.
i've been with South Africans and some East Africans , i can say they speak very good English
when you listen to their pronunciations.

for most Nigerians to mention deɪtə as Dartar ......(Data)
i can say its a new level of insanity

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Feb 25, 2017
Ghana.

2 Likes

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Heavance(m): 5:55pm On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:

When two languages collide something called a creole language evolves. That's exactly how English language itself evolved!!. Pidgin English is a creole language originating from collision of European's and our languages. Today, Pidgin is a language in its own right like Jamaican Patois and many other creole languages.

For your information, Britain was also mostly colonized by Germans, French, Spaniards, Rome, within the 4th-5th century AD. During their time of slavery they also spoke a mixure of English and the other languages of their captors. But, once they regained their freedom, they banned all foreign languages in the entire British isle, and adopted their native English language (which was then 40% local and 60% foreign language) just as Pidgin is today. The year was 1362 and it was only then that English became an official language. Therefore, what we learn today as English is just a standardized creole language like Pidgin!!.

When our eyes open to our stupidity, we will ban English in our lands and pay attention to our native languages. Many Asian nations who were also colonized had already made that change.

My people, open your eyes!. English was not originally an official language!!. It became an official language only in 1362!!!.

The origin of English language. Everybody should see these videos, it's under 20 minutes, all.

The evolution of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIzFz9T5rhI
The origin of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEaSxhcns7Y
The history of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njJBw2KlIEo
How languages evolve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWDKsHm6gTA
Nice info you passed to me....
somehow, indirectly, pidgin has been our main language you know?
There are places in Nigeria where people don't understand English, but they will communicate in pidgin somehow.
nice info once again.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by engrchykae(m): 5:56pm On Feb 25, 2017
Onyochejohn:
thank you Sir, my worry is these people referring to all Yoruba race as afonja
dont allow the e-fight to get to you,ibos and yorubas are more close especially in their quest for self development and ability to welcome challenges,the only difference in our approach to confrontations,we can go fatal and suicidal when threatened,u dont threaten an ibo for a fight if u are not really ready for a fight while yorubas are more diplomatic and avoid confrontations as they tend to look at the bigger picture which is the end of the conflict.ibos and yorubas are not really enemies when you consider that we hardly have clashes unlike with hausas.i lived with yorubas during nysc under nccf and they cool,just that they tend to discriminate alot,if there is no non-yoruba to segregate against,they would discriminate against the ogun state guys,and when i asked why,my friend replied that ogun state people are the ibos of yorubaland.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 5:58pm On Feb 25, 2017
CoolVoice:

what you don't get is,
The word 'Work' is not pronounced the way it's spelt but rather 'wəːk'
Just like you guys pronounce 'Word' horribly
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 6:00pm On Feb 25, 2017
CoolVoice:

why do you guys pronounce Work as walk and Word as Ward
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by InvertedHammer: 6:01pm On Feb 25, 2017
Akpevwe9:

1. Uganda

2. South Africa

3. Nigeria

4. Kenya

5. Zambia

6. Botswana

7. Zimbabwe

8. Malawi

9. Ghana

10. Rwanda

11. Sudan

/

Which country in Europe speaks the best yoruba?

\

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Just30: 6:02pm On Feb 25, 2017
safarigirl:
lok... Well, the Brits don't say 'blek', so i doubt the SAcans have the correct pronunciation
fine but they're close
Let see how Nigerians pronounce Work and Word
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by safarigirl(f): 6:10pm On Feb 25, 2017
Just30:
fine but they're close
Let see how Nigerians pronounce Work and Word
which Nigerians? There is a variation in Nigeria as far as accents go.

However, feel free to watch movies like 76, The Wedding Party, Fifty, amongst others for an idea on the average Nigerian accent.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Dr. Chidubem Obi Graduates With 5.0 GP In A Russian University / Rats Destroy ABSU Student's Property During Lockdown (Photos) / Nigerian Universities That Won't Offer Law And Accounting Anymore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.