Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

Which African Country Speaks The Best English? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which African Country Speaks The Best English? (54192 Views)

Please Which Is The Best English Grammar Text / Which African Country Speaks The Best English Language / LIST: Best English Speaking Countries In Africa See Where Nigeria Is On The List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by rhames(m): 10:53am On Feb 25, 2017
Akpevwe9:
While I was browsing the net this evening with my itel S31, came across this and decided to share.
Who speaks the best English in Africa? And the answer is Uganda. According to the world linguistic Agency, Uganda takes the cake for being the best English speaking African Nation.
First off, the idea behind the best English speaking African nation ranking is in no way to slight any nation. Africa is a country of an entirely different culture from the west. So, it is understandable that some African countries are still not fluent in them. As a matter of fact not all the nations of the world fancy the English language.
English language is the global/international language at the moment.
Like we say, anything worth doing is worth doing well. There are 28 English speaking African nations. From these 28, the World Linguistic Agency made a list of those who speak the best of English language in Africa.
Best English Speaking Countries In Africa:

1. Uganda

2. South Africa

3. Nigeria

4. Kenya

5. Zambia

6. Botswana

7. Zimbabwe

8. Malawi

9. Ghana

10. Rwanda

11. Sudan

It is also worthy to mention that as some countries were not colonized by the British, their Lingua franca differs. It will be asking too much to expect fluency from them.

Ghana is the best English speaking country in Africa.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Nobody: 10:53am On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:

That post has opened the eyes of so many people across the world. I' am writing a new one- "A new slavery is coming: Message to African governments". Check back in a week.

That would be really great all these has to stop. Africans need to rediscover their selves and move on.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by GoldEnyong(m): 10:58am On Feb 25, 2017
Akpevwe9:
While I was browsing the net this evening with my itel S31, came across this and decided to share.
Who speaks the best English in Africa? And the answer is Uganda. According to the world linguistic Agency, Uganda takes the cake for being the best English speaking African Nation.
First off, the idea behind the best English speaking African nation ranking is in no way to slight any nation. Africa is a country of an entirely different culture from the west. So, it is understandable that some African countries are still not fluent in them. As a matter of fact not all the nations of the world fancy the English language.
Like we say, anything worth doing is worth doing well. There are 28 English speaking African nations. From these 28, the World Linguistic Agency made a list of those who speak the best of English language in Africa.

1. Uganda

2. South Africa

3. Nigeria

4. Kenya

5. Zambia

6. Botswana

7. Zimbabwe

8. Malawi

9. Ghana

10. Rwanda

11. Sudan

It is also worthy to mention that as some countries were not colonized by the British, their Lingua franca differs. It will be asking too much to expect fluency from them.

where's Ghana with their WEAK English..
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by airprinz(m): 11:00am On Feb 25, 2017
how south Africa take speak English pass us be wetin I no understand.

As for Uganda, I still dey observe them
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Nobody: 11:03am On Feb 25, 2017
U
musicwriter:
This type of topic should be deleted by the moderators as its promoting slavery. English is not our language!!. It is a language forced down the throats of our ancestors when we were slaves, and as such, you shouldn't be proud speaking it.

Some of you often ask; what were our ancestors doing to have been enslaved? What they were doing is the same thing you're doing today when you promote English language or feel proud speaking it.

Our native languages are now in a sorry state, some under threat of extinction, while we're busy fooling around promoting English. I regret to have learned to speak English in school. I wish I invested all that time studying Igbo language and one other Nigerian language, like Yoruba or Hausa. If I could go back to school I'll invest my time studying our native languages.

So if there was no english language, after you finish learning housa, you will go and learn yoruba, anyday you want to travel to south africa or any foreign country, you will spent atleast 1 year to learn the language of that country and so on, also imagine as we have this platform, (nairaland) you are typing in igbo and another is typing in house and yoruba, how do you think there wouldnt be a bridge in communication?

Stop trying so hard to be wiser than your masters, a general language that makes it easier to communicate globally is a sinequanon. If an african country was opportuned to be the colonial master or country, they inturn would have enforced their language on their subjects, but nature did not permit them, instead, they were busy jumping with monkeys in the bush, and when you ask them, they will say that civilisation started in africa, i tend to wonder what has stopped them from getting more civilised even with the exit of the colonial masters.

2 Likes

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by odimbannamdi(m): 11:05am On Feb 25, 2017
So upon all the "pasta" (to mean pastor) and "educashan" (to mean education) wey Ghana dey speak, na still 9th dem carry...lol
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by odimbannamdi(m): 11:07am On Feb 25, 2017
Akpevwe9:

1. Uganda

2. South Africa

3. Nigeria

4. Kenya

5. Zambia

6. Botswana

7. Zimbabwe

8. Malawi

9. Ghana

10. Rwanda

11. Sudan

Well-done on the info, OP.

But stating the make and even model of your phone was uncalled for. Abi Itel dey pay you for advert?
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by ipobbigot7: 11:09am On Feb 25, 2017
Nigerians don't always appreciate their values. I often times heard people hailing that disgusting Ghanaian English that irritates when you hear it, some Nigerians feel like speaking that poo.

It's even an error to rate South Africa over Nigeria because South Africa always have errors in their sentences and Kenya has errors both in sentences and spellings.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by tdayof(m): 11:10am On Feb 25, 2017
How on earth is SA number one on that list?
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Ojukwubucket(m): 11:14am On Feb 25, 2017
Pweety008:

What's the meaning of this Afonjas self? I have always wanted to know
People with tribal marks
People with cone head
People as black as d devil
People always caught with human heads
People known for begging or laziness
People that envy n hate IGBOS with passion
People that claim to have fallen from the sky etc

4 Likes

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Ojukwubucket(m): 11:15am On Feb 25, 2017
grin grin grin grin
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by devvland(m): 11:17am On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:
This type of topic should be deleted by the moderators as its promoting slavery. English is not our language!!. It is a language forced down the throats of our ancestors when we were slaves, and as such, you shouldn't be proud speaking it.

Some of you often ask; what were our ancestors doing to have been enslaved? What they were doing is the same thing you're doing today when you promote English language or feel proud speaking it.

Our native languages are now in a sorry state, some under threat of extinction, while we're busy fooling around promoting English. I regret to have learned to speak English in school. I wish I invested all that time studying Igbo language and one other Nigerian language, like Yoruba or Hausa. If I could go back to school I'll invest my time studying our native languages.

Why didn't you type your comment in Igbo? Cultural evolution states that when two cultures interact, the stronger overwhelms the weak.

If you are so proud of your language and wish to perpetuate its usage...first you have to make your people great. Make your culture stand for something on the international front, that way other culture will be drawn to your force. This force can be economic or military or technological power. Give the world something huge so that when they come to you, you can insist on dealing with them in your language. That way they have no option to learn your language.

Learn from China. Other countries are learning Mandarin today because China has become a world power. Make your culture powerful and stop whining about your language dying while you do jack to save it except advise people to speak it...

You can whine all you want, but as long as your culture has nothing to make the world respect it. . .nothing great to offer the world, and as long as people from your culture will always reach out to the outside world for things without the outside world reaching out to your culture for something, the scale of language usage will forever disfavor your language because the natives of your culture will forever need an alternative means of communicating with the outside world...

Simple fact. Speak your native tongue within your community, but dont hate people for wanting the advantage of being able to reach our beyond the confines of rustic living (which obviously you have)

2 Likes

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Ojukwubucket(m): 11:17am On Feb 25, 2017
But some of them are good sha Those ones that love IGBOS grin
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by devvland(m): 11:24am On Feb 25, 2017
vowsng:
U

So if there was no english language, after you finish learning housa, you will go and learn yoruba, anyday you want to travel to south africa or any foreign country, you will spent atleast 1 year to learn the language of that country and so on, also imagine as we have this platform, (nairaland) you are typing in igbo and another is typing in house and yoruba, how do you think there wouldnt be a bridge in communication?

Stop trying so hard to be wiser than your masters, a general language that makes it easier to communicate globally is a sinequanon. If an african country was opportuned to be the colonial master or country, they inturn would have enforced their language on their subjects, but nature did not permit them, instead, they were busy jumping with monkeys in the bush, and when you ask them, they will say that civilisation started in africa, i tend to wonder what has stopped them from getting more civilised even with the exit of the colonial masters.

Thank you, my friend. Kinda Turing hearing all these crusaders who have no clue as to the communication mess that will exist in Nigeria without English (or pidgin). I just don't understand the hate.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by sagir1994(m): 11:27am On Feb 25, 2017
saintikechi:
Biafra
Biafra does not speak English bro. pidgin is not English please
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Mznaett: 11:28am On Feb 25, 2017
berrystunn:
Lagos Nigeria..
Na ur way now...always derailinggrin
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by ipobbigot7: 11:29am On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:

Do you honestly write your music in english or not?

Needless asking you if you speak english cos you typed this in english and am very sure you will still reply me in english.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by musicwriter(m): 11:29am On Feb 25, 2017
devvland:

Why didn't you type your comment in Igbo? Cultural evolution states that when two cultures interact, the stronger overwhelms the weak.

If you are so proud of your language and wish to perpetuate its usage...first you have to make your people great. Make your culture stand for something on the international front, that way other culture will be drawn to your force. This force can be economic or military or technological power. Give the world something huge so that when they come to you, you can insist on dealing with them in your language. That way they have no option to learn your language.

Learn from China. Other countries are learning Mandarin today because China has become a world power. Make your culture powerful and stop whining about your language dying while you do jack to save it except advise people to speak it...

You can whine all you want, but as long as your culture has nothing to make the world respect it. . .nothing great to offer the world, and as long as people from your culture will always reach out to the outside world for things without the outside world reaching out to your culture for something, the scale of language usage will forever disfavor your language because the natives of your culture will forever need an alternative means of communicating with the outside world...

Simple fact. Speak your native tongue within your community, but dont hate people for wanting the advantage of being able to reach our beyond the confines of rustic living (which obviously you have)

Ironically, your comment which you think is contrary to my view (because you don't me) is exactly what I've been advocating for ages.

But, in order to begin that journey to greatness, you must begin with your own language. There's no great nation on earth that speaks a foreign language.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by AndreB: 11:30am On Feb 25, 2017
Which European country speaks the best Yoruba?

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by remiopash: 11:32am On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:

Why did you write all this epistle in English ?
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by musicwriter(m): 11:33am On Feb 25, 2017
ipobbigot7:
Do you honestly write your music in english or not?

Needless asking you if you speak english cos you typed this in english and am very sure you will still reply me in english.

You people don't just get it!!.

What do you think is responsible for inability to express myself in Igbo language?

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by musicwriter(m): 11:35am On Feb 25, 2017
remiopash:

Why did you write all this epistle in English ?
What do you think is responsible for my inability to write in Igbo?

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by ipobbigot7: 11:35am On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:

What do you think is responsible for inability to express myself in Igbo language?
Now i understand you and i think i can reason with, it's a major problem.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:

Quite chatting with these people, they can't get it.
They are unable to get the bigger picture.
These types will tell you African tradition is barbaric and should be abolished, and speaking indigenous languages is wrong.

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Effulgent(m): 11:38am On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:

What do you think is responsible for that lack of capacity to write it in our native language?
when we have more than 150 ingenious languages in nigeria,more than 30 in southwest,tell me how will you promote it,even a state in sw has more than 7 languages.... Swerve jare,those using their languages usually have uniform language like french,spanish,chinese etc
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Airoflaw(m): 11:39am On Feb 25, 2017

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by musicwriter(m): 11:40am On Feb 25, 2017
ipobbigot7:
Now i understand you and i think i can reason with, it's a major problem.

It is called intellectual slavery, and it is a huge problem silently killing Africa. For details read the link on my signature, part 1 and part 2.

Have a nice day.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by bujy: 11:41am On Feb 25, 2017
Thisis2raw:
Nigeria I must say,

We speak good and fluent English
lol
cucumber. kukumba
cup. kop
cap. khap
pepsi. pesi
mad. mud
street. strit
thief. tif
mad. mud
pepper. pepe
salad. salaaaad
the list is endless and pronounciation of words like pizza ,hamburger ,sharwama is totally wrong
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Yorobastard(m): 11:41am On Feb 25, 2017
mccoy47:

Tah angry
U call dat dia nonsense english?
Calling "Police" .. "pe-lease"

Lol...if only nairaland could introduce voice text....

Fun = Fan
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by bonna4u(m): 11:42am On Feb 25, 2017
Damilare5882:
I think its Ghana
Eh... Isi ngini? Ghanaians exaggerate while speaking English. You need to visit Ghana. Speaking from experience.
N/B: Isi ngini means - "you say what? "

2 Likes

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Nobody: 11:43am On Feb 25, 2017
Krucifax:

You've got it the wrong way round. Read my notes above about what Afonja means. Afonja was fighting WITH the Hausa Fulani not against.
but people refer to all Yoruba's as afonja .
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Doyin2(m): 11:44am On Feb 25, 2017
Liberia nko?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

ASUU Announces ‘Conditional Suspension’ Of Strike / Dr. Chidubem Obi Graduates With 5.0 GP In A Russian University / Rats Destroy ABSU Student's Property During Lockdown (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.