Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,755 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:40 PM

Religious Tolerance: The Yoruba's Example - My Experience - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Religious Tolerance: The Yoruba's Example - My Experience (807 Views)

Nigeria Used As An Example On Cyber Security At UK University (Photos) / Religious Tolerance, My Eye Witness Account In Lagos / Obaseki Warns Ijaws: "Don’t Take My Tolerance For Granted" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religious Tolerance: The Yoruba's Example - My Experience by todaynewsreview: 12:56pm On Feb 25, 2017
Over the years, religion has been a topical issue that has caused acrimony/rivalry in Nigeria. To Lagosians and Westerners, this may be their normal way of life but to some of us who are not, seeing a muslim driving for a church may be a very strange thing. Today, during a burial ceremony in Delta State, some of us were shocked when some of the churches that came from Lagos were driven by Muslim Drivers. This may be strange to some but one thing that sounds commendable was the level of tolerance the Yoruba's have. From records, many churches or Mosque will not take the other faith either as driver nor any other staff. God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Religious Tolerance: The Yoruba's Example - My Experience by zionmade(m): 1:11pm On Feb 25, 2017
Bia d only intolerant religious tribe in nigeria is hausa. In ibo land a Muslim is allowed to pray anywhere and anytime and people will strive not to disturb him.
Wen they come to work for me i allow dem pray in my veranda.
In as much as i love d way yorubas cohabit with others still get it clear dat an hausa man feels very much at home in ibo land. D only exception is wen they kill.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious Tolerance: The Yoruba's Example - My Experience by deomelo: 1:12pm On Feb 25, 2017
In many Yoruba households, the father is Muslim, the wife a Christian, the kids aladura, the uncle traditional worshiper and they all live in peace.

Look at Fashola and Tinubu, their wives are Christians and they go to church on Sundays.

This socio cultural norms is why the SW remains the most peaceful and tolerant society in Africa.

5 Likes

Re: Religious Tolerance: The Yoruba's Example - My Experience by Redoil: 1:34pm On Feb 25, 2017
What about osun sttate where the muric or muslims were forcing their religion on the christians

1 Like

Re: Religious Tolerance: The Yoruba's Example - My Experience by todaynewsreview: 1:36pm On Feb 25, 2017
JohnsonOlanre:
But yoruba muslims students are breaking the skulls of yoruba Christians and teachers in Osun state over hijab issue. That's very tolerant if you ask me. grin grin
I suppose it's the governor's policy that led to that situation.
Re: Religious Tolerance: The Yoruba's Example - My Experience by ThinkSmarter: 2:00pm On Feb 25, 2017
What u said is obviously true.
Most Yoruba Muslims are civilized and tolerant, followed by Hausa Muslims.
The worst is Fulani Muslims, they are mostly extremists, Intolerants and religious bigots.
The Hausas re more kind, hospitable with extroverted personalities. While the Fulanis re more of introverts with savaging mindsets. Though not all, but majority.
The Fulanis will be walking gently and sluggishly, but they are deadly, they don't forgive easily when offended.
They appear domineering, and that is why they re ruling over Hausas their host.
The Hausas re more kind and honest, that's y they are good in business more than their Fulanis counterparts.

1 Like

Re: Religious Tolerance: The Yoruba's Example - My Experience by juman(m): 2:30pm On Feb 25, 2017
ThinkSmarter:
What u said is obviously true.
Most Yoruba Muslims are civilized and tolerant, followed by Hausa Muslims.
The worst is Fulani Muslims, they are mostly extremists, Intolerants and religious bigots.
The Hausas re more kind, hospitable with extroverted personalities. While the Fulanis re more of introverts with savaging mindsets. Though not all, but majority.
The Fulanis will be walking gently and sluggishly, but they are deadly, they don't forgive easily when offended.
They appear domineering, and that is why they re ruling over Hausas their host.
The Hausas re more kind and honest, that's y they are good in business more than their Fulanis counterparts.

Hmmm
Re: Religious Tolerance: The Yoruba's Example - My Experience by Kaymercury(m): 5:02pm On Feb 25, 2017
Re: Religious Tolerance: The Yoruba's Example - My Experience by bkool7(m): 5:52pm On Feb 25, 2017
Redoil:
What about osun sttate where the muric or muslims were forcing their religion on the christians

you being misinformed.
where in osun did muslims forced their religion on Christians?

what happened in osun has been happening in Lagos too.
check public schools in Lagos students go to school wearing ijab
Re: Religious Tolerance: The Yoruba's Example - My Experience by SalamRushdie: 5:56pm On Feb 25, 2017
The Yorubas of Nigeria are the most religious tolerant people on earth ..Take1 this from somebody how has travelled far and wide ..Yorubas are so religious tolerant that they are the only known human group that has been able to absorb Islam and tame it

(1) (Reply)

An Open Letter To Niger State Honourable Commissioner Of Water Resource / Benue Governor Ortom's Convoy Involve In Accident Today(photos) / Pictures Of The Newly Suv's And Trucks For Lagos State Neighborhood Safety Corps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.