Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,337 members, 7,819,182 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:22 PM

How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You (42987 Views)

Points to note before sending out your CV to a recruiter / Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter / How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by nmreports: 8:03am On Feb 26, 2017
''Can we meet you'' or "Tell Us About Yourself" for me, is one of the most important interview question ever. Its an opportunity for you to succinctly describe:

1. Who you are.
2. Your work ethics and what you stand for.
3. Your passion and possibilities on the job.
4. Most importantly, why you are the best person for the job.

Recognizing this opportunity however does not give you the ticket to start talking about your life history. You should be smart enough to speak strongly about those things that are most important in other to engage the recruiter and not bore him or her with stories of your life.

This can guide you too. How To Act At Job Interviews: http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/09/how-to-act-during-job-interviews.html

I remember the last time I went for an interview for a different role in my organization and I was asked this question. I had rehearsed the question at home many times because somehow I suspected it was going to come up.

I had prepared documents to show proof of why I was actually interested and interviewing for the role. I had gone with an arsenal of what I am currently doing to show my passion, steps taken and I ensured that I communicated it strongly to the recruiter. Leaning forward and looking into his eyes when I was asked about it.

For a new graduate, focus on your personal strength and skills. Sometimes mentioning what you are currently doing in terms of professional courses or ongoing skill development or leadership positions you have taken may help.

So something like this should be fine:

Recruiter:
''Can I meet you please?''

Confidently shift in your chair (Gestures can show the importance of what you are about to say and its fine) and say:

Candidate:
"First of all, I would like to say thank you for the opportunity".
"My name is Femi and I graduated with a second class upper division in Accounting from the University of Lagos".
"I have always been passionate about numbers and precision, hence my decision to study accounting".
"To further buttress my fascination and plan to build my career in accounting, I have just registered for ICAN and I believe that I will be done with it in 2 years".
I currently work in my churches account department as a volunteer and I have just redesigned the Spreadsheets we use to reflect filters and groupings that will make our job more efficient.
"If what you are looking for is someone who is ready to to be the best at his job, then I can assure you that you would not be disappointed".

Trust me, this should be good but the way and manner you pass this message across as well as your gestures will make a whole lot of difference.

Can someone tell us what has been successfully done with this response?

Source: www.HRtechnique.com

44 Likes 13 Shares

Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by HungerBAD: 8:03am On Feb 26, 2017
cool.

1 Like

Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by Chuknovski(m): 3:00pm On Feb 26, 2017
cool Info
Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by onward4life(m): 6:20pm On Feb 26, 2017
nmreports:
''Can we meet you'' for me, is one of the most important interview question ever. Its an opportunity for you to succinctly describe:

1. Who you are.
2. Your work ethics and what you stand for.
3. Your passion and possibilities on the job.
4. Most importantly, why you are the best person for the job.

Recognizing this opportunity however does not give you the ticket to start talking about your life history. You should be smart enough to speak strongly about those things that are most important in other to engage the recruiter and not bore him or her with stories of your life.

This can guide you too. How To Act At Job Interviews: http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/09/how-to-act-during-job-interviews.html

I remember the last time I went for an interview for a different role in my organization and I was asked this question. I had rehearsed the question at home many times because somehow I suspected it was going to come up.

I had prepared documents to show proof of why I was actually interested and interviewing for the role. I had gone with an arsenal of what I am currently doing to show my passion, steps taken and I ensured that I communicated it strongly to the recruiter. Leaning forward and looking into his eyes when I was asked about it.

For a new graduate, focus on your personal strength and skills. Sometimes mentioning what you are currently doing in terms of professional courses or ongoing skill development or leadership positions you have taken may help.

So something like this should be fine:

Trust me, this should be good but the way and manner you pass this message across as well as your gestures will make a whole lot of difference.

Can someone tell us what has been successfully done with this response?

Source: www.HRtechnique.com

Guy God bless yu I have been searching for a perfect way to over come this question but from the look of things yu have been able to help me over come that challenge. May God reward yu dearly....

Am Redeemed!!!!

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by pressplay411(m): 9:03pm On Feb 26, 2017
Once lost a very lucrative job cos I goofed at this question. It became my anthem .grin Nice one Op.

3 Likes

Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by EmpowerNg(m): 11:32pm On Feb 26, 2017
It's very simple: tell the interviewer your name and your achievement.

Don't forget to checked my link
Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by Selfhood: 7:13am On Feb 27, 2017
This is insightful.
Mynd44
Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by helphelp: 7:16am On Feb 27, 2017
Nice tips
Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by Jaytecq(m): 7:16am On Feb 27, 2017
First, start with your name, where u currently reside, den ur Qualification and hw it meets the job requirements, wat u ve been doing, den lastly ur career goal and ur ideal firm.

1 Like

Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by Nobody: 7:16am On Feb 27, 2017
ok

Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by Alasi20(m): 7:17am On Feb 27, 2017
Aiit Boss

Noted for now
Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by ychris: 7:20am On Feb 27, 2017
First of all, my name is Sarrki Saraki ( Son of senate president).

I just wanted to help ur company ministries that's why i choosed to work here.

Because i know my dad will be giving u guys contracts because of me you know? (good connection right )

And erm....

Interviewer: ok ok alright sir!

Pls can u start working here right away with immediate effect?

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by wizkidblogger(f): 7:22am On Feb 27, 2017
ohk. just use the oppportunity to hype yourself .....
Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by san316(m): 7:24am On Feb 27, 2017
What about..

"I'm a cousin to Dasuki.."

You will sure "WOW" them

2 Likes

Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by Chigorkizz(m): 7:27am On Feb 27, 2017
Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by merrijosh(m): 7:27am On Feb 27, 2017
beautiful information

1 Like

Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by idris4r83(m): 7:27am On Feb 27, 2017
Recurrent topic
Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by Benjom(m): 7:29am On Feb 27, 2017
That's good.
Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by baddosky1: 7:38am On Feb 27, 2017
I just hate interviews. Recruiters use it to play "God Role" angry angry

2 Likes

Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by Nofuckgiven: 7:46am On Feb 27, 2017
The most feared interview question. undecided
Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by nabegibeg: 7:48am On Feb 27, 2017
Make una stop all dis stereotypical answers

Answer the damn question the way it ministers to you at the freaking moment

1 Like

Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by tolustx(m): 7:48am On Feb 27, 2017
I love the way the op puts this. He did not only describe theoretically how to do it, he also explained with his own personal example.

NB: Make una no cram am sha o. I can see some people who are already cramming this. Some people fit copy so tey them to copy your name and matric number sef.lol

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by tosyne2much(m): 7:52am On Feb 27, 2017
An eye opener for us.. Thanks OP
Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by lollmaolol(m): 8:00am On Feb 27, 2017
On point!!
Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by iykofias(m): 8:04am On Feb 27, 2017
nmreports:
Recruiter:
''Can I meet you please?''

Confidently shift in your chair (Gestures can show the importance of what you are about to say and its fine) and say:

Candidate:
"First of all, I would like to say thank you for the opportunity".
"My name is Femi and I graduated with a second class upper division in Accounting from the University of Lagos".
"I have always been passionate about numbers and precision, hence my decision to study accounting".
"To further buttress my fascination and plan to build my career in accounting, I have just registered for ICAN and I believe that I will be done with it in 2 years".
I currently work in my churches account department as a volunteer and I have just redesigned the Spreadsheets we use to reflect filters and groupings that will make our job more efficient.
"If what you are looking for is someone who is ready to to be the best at his job, then I can assure you that you would not be disappointed".
0k oh
Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by jimb(m): 8:08am On Feb 27, 2017
I made 3rd class, please advice me.
Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by bigerboy200: 8:30am On Feb 27, 2017
magicminister:
I smoke weeddd and i fucccck hoes sir!!
just imagine..lol

1 Like

Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by oshe11: 8:34am On Feb 27, 2017
really grin
Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by columbus007(m): 8:35am On Feb 27, 2017
tolustx:
I love the way the op puts this. He did not only describe theoretically how to do it, he also explained with his own personal example.

NB: Make una no cram am sha o. I can see some people who are already cramming this. Some people fit copy so tey them to copy your name and matric number sef.lol
and dis got me laffing cheesy
Re: How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You by tolustx(m): 8:40am On Feb 27, 2017
columbus007:
and dis got me laffing cheesy
Yea it is funny, but sadly, true. Some people will have no clue at all what you are writing, they just copy everything, especially when they want to do it so fast that they may not be caught cheating. Imagine you cramming that and when you are asked the question, you say "My name is Femi" when your name is actually Soji.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Career Opportunity @ Nimasa / Unilorin Best Graduating Student Jobless After 6years / Funny C.v Written By A Lady Looking For A Job In A Big Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.