Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,094 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:12 AM

Life As A Consultant... - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Life As A Consultant... (13394 Views)

Work As A Consultant In Real Estate Industry. / Be A Consultant And Get Paid Monthly / My Life As A Teacher. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life As A Consultant... by Timmyblinks: 7:24pm On Jan 14, 2020
Okay, that's fine by me.
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Mifim: 7:51am On Jan 15, 2020
Scholar94:
Hello,

@Marxxx and others, I have been scheduled for BCG online case(bcg potential test). A practice question was attached to the invitation (med line case) but I feel I still need more materials for better preparation. I checked online, all practice questions available are for a fee and to be honest, I can't afford them.

I'm informing us so in case anyone has (or you knpw anyone that has material) to share with me. Pls kindly do share them. I will welcome tips and advice from anyone who has pass through the process too before.
Thanks

Hello,

Please how and when did you submit your application?
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Emmyshegs(m): 10:05am On Jan 20, 2020
I also need this. Kind send me a mail emmyshegs12@yahoo.com
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Emmyshegs(m): 10:06am On Jan 20, 2020
Timmyblinks:
Okay, that's fine by me.

Please I want to join the group too. Send me your number or pm.
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Nobody: 10:22am On Jan 20, 2020
Are u also writing the test
Emmyshegs:

Please I want to join the group too. Send me your number or pm.
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Emmyshegs(m): 10:42am On Jan 20, 2020
Scholar94:
Are u also writing the test
Yes bro
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Emmyshegs(m): 3:36pm On Jan 20, 2020
Emmyshegs:
I also need this. Kind send me a mail emmyshegs12@yahoo.com
Send me a message
Re: Life As A Consultant... by gentleibraheem(m): 7:29pm On Jan 21, 2020
Scholar94:
Hello Liamzzybaba...yea sure I can share them with you. They are all soft copies. DM or drop your email here

hello scholar I'd also like to have the softcopies please whatsapp +2348181515987
thank you
Re: Life As A Consultant... by ExpertNLer: 9:36pm On Jan 21, 2020
please could you share some of your prep materials with me? I will PM you now
Scholar94:
Hello Liamzzybaba...yea sure I can share them with you. They are all soft copies. DM or drop your email here
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Giftyglam: 10:09am On Jan 22, 2020
Lengthy, but very nice..
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Toyo10: 1:03pm On Feb 14, 2020
Hello BCG guys...was anyone able to get an offer
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Marxxx: 9:05am On Feb 23, 2020
jashar:

Yoooouuuuu....how are you doing? How's the treatment? How's your sis and niece? Trust you're keeping your head up smiley
I am good and you? My head is big...it will always be up
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Marxxx: 9:13am On Feb 23, 2020
Focusmind:
This type of thread will never get to front page. Some youths will run away from it because it is not what interests them.

People of intellect and those with passion for knowledge and learning will always be interested.

Kudos to you guys. Consulting was an area I was so interested in joining in my early 20s but the competition was so intense. I did countless assessments with companies in UK like Oliver Wyman, Messer, BCG.

Consulting gives you the leverage to negotiate big time if you decide to join other industries or to move to a client firm.

People that worked for less than 2 years in consulting would be offered managerial positions in other industries with mouth watering offers.

If you can and still within the age, please pursue your dream in the consulting, but if you have exceeded the age, move to another thing.

Consulting firms like catching people young.
...you know you can still find your way as an experience hire, that is if you are still interested.
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Focusmind: 10:09am On Feb 23, 2020
Marxxx:
...you know you can still find your way as an experience hire, that is if you are still interested.

You are right but it is good to join at a graduate level and grow through the ranks.

Nevertheless, I am on my own now running my own consultancy. It is not easy as you are not sure and certain of getting money unlike when I was still a full time corporate employee.

However, I am very hopeful and optimistic of my success as a solo consultant. wink
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Marxxx: 10:29am On Feb 23, 2020
Focusmind:

You are right but it is good to join at a graduate level and grow through the ranks.

Nevertheless, I am on my own now running my own consultancy. It is not easy as you are not sure and certain of getting money unlike when I was still a full time corporate employee.

However, I am very hopeful and optimistic of my success as a solo consultant. wink
starting a consultancy outfit is good but it is better when you have worked with one in the past. It gives you credibility. You are equipped with how to research clients. I once advised a chap who was creating modules and equipping people on how to ace job tests, case interviews etc I told him you can't break even on this track, you need to re-brand, research and fine tune what you deliver. Today he teaches employability and has a master class. He is a consultant! So as you go solo...come up with some extraordinary cos we are waiting to celebrate you
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Marxxx: 10:32am On Feb 23, 2020
jashar:

Lolzzz!!! If i catch you ehn!!! grin. I'm still single and minding my own business o... grin cheesy

Hope you've gotten your niece a beautiful Christmas present? smiley do you still uave hair she can plait? grin
cool
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Marxxx: 10:40am On Feb 23, 2020
LeoThaGreat:
Hello Marxxx

I've got a question for ya.

I read recently about a person getting noisily chased out from a KPMG interview (or assessment or something of that sort) because he tendered a certificate from a university in Cotonou with the lady saying "We don't rate those universities here". I am a graduate from Houdegbe North American University in Cotonou with a flair for offering operation/strategy advice, first to a friend which has been working out great, then to a manager in an organisation which I will assess in a few months time. I intend to practise consulting full-time after my service year but I'd like to know if it's true that students from Houdegbe (Cotonou generally) aren't rated in the consulting field.

Thanks
Truth be told consulting firms loves top rated universities. This is the idea, for you to be admitted into a top ranking school, you must have competed well. I will advise you chase your dreams cos I don't know KPMG standard on the choice of institution attended (university).

1 Like

Re: Life As A Consultant... by Marxxx: 10:42am On Feb 23, 2020
Scholar94:
Hello,

@Marxxx and others, I have been scheduled for BCG online case(bcg potential test). A practice question was attached to the invitation (med line case) but I feel I still need more materials for better preparation. I checked online, all practice questions available are for a fee and to be honest, I can't afford them.

I'm informing us so in case anyone has (or you knpw anyone that has material) to share with me. Pls kindly do share them. I will welcome tips and advice from anyone who has pass through the process too before.
Thanks
I trust the test was good. Success
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Focusmind: 11:16am On Feb 23, 2020
Marxxx:
starting a consultancy outfit is good but it is better when you have worked with one in the past. It gives you credibility. You are equipped with how to research clients. I once advised a chap who was creating modules and equipping people on how to ace job tests, case interviews etc I told him you can't break even on this track, you need to re-brand, research and fine tune what you deliver. Today he teaches employability and has a master class. He is a consultant! So as you go solo...come up with some extraordinary cos we are waiting to celebrate you

Good. I have been in the corporate world for close to 14 years. From telecom to banking and to energy.

I felt I have had enough and decided to go solo in 2017. So far, God has been kind.

I told myself that I would have my own business at 40 years and that is what I did exactly irrespective of the uncertainty surrounding starting one's business in Nigeria. Luckily, I don't sell tangible goods or have a brick and mortar shop, I offer intangible services and neither do I have a shop.
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Marxxx: 11:29am On Feb 23, 2020
Focusmind:

Good. I have been in the corporate world for close to 14 years. From telecom to banking and to energy.

I felt I have had enough and decided to go solo in 2017. So far, God has been kind.

I told myself that I would have my own business at 40 years and that is what I did exactly irrespective of the uncertainty surrounding starting one's business in Nigeria. Luckily, I don't sell tangible goods or have a brick and mortar shop, I offer intangible services and neither do I have a shop.
14 years is solid. Starting a new business that is scalable in Nigeria is tough. I trust you are married and you have kids too? Do have a wonderful day.
Re: Life As A Consultant... by LeoThaGreat(m): 12:52pm On Feb 23, 2020
Marxxx:
Truth be told consulting firms loves top rated universities. This is the idea, for you to be admitted into a top ranking school, you must have competed well. I will advise you chase your dreams cos I don't know KPMG standard on the choice of institution attended (university).
Thanks for your contribution.
I think additional certification from recognised bodies will suffice.
God bless
Re: Life As A Consultant... by jashar(f): 7:07pm On Mar 05, 2020
Marxxx:
cool

It's good you're ok.
Is the cancer gone? What's the status update?
Don't be a stranger...
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Marxxx: 7:04pm On Mar 25, 2020
jashar:

It's good you're ok.
Is the cancer gone? What's the status update?
Don't be a stranger...
I am giving it a good fight, there are worse periods and there are worst moments in between I am adapting.

1 Like

Re: Life As A Consultant... by jashar(f): 7:00am On Mar 28, 2020
Marxxx:
I am giving it a good fight, there are worse periods and there are worst moments in between I am adapting.

Good for you!!! Be safe out there...
Re: Life As A Consultant... by 4tunebest(f): 8:19pm On Mar 28, 2020
Marxxx:
Lucky guy... grin..the guy beside you
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Marxxx: 9:24pm On Mar 28, 2020
jashar:

Good for you!!! Be safe out there...
Hi...I trust you had a great day. I am indoors most of the time. Ensure you are safe too. Thank you
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Emmyshegs(m): 12:10pm On Apr 12, 2020
Hello Marxxx. I’m a graduate with a 2.1 that just finished my nysc. I’m looking at a career in consulting. I’ve applied to BCG, Bain, McKinsey, Kpmg, Pwc and Deloitte but I’ve been unsuccessful in all my applications at some point. I really want a wonderful career in business because I believe so much in my potentials and abilities. I don’t plan to give up on this. What other options do I have presently?
I don’t want to have to wait another year before I apply again.
How best can I go about it?

1 Like

Re: Life As A Consultant... by Marxxx: 2:27pm On Apr 12, 2020
Emmyshegs:
Hello Marxxx. I’m a graduate with a 2.1 that just finished my nysc. I’m looking at a career in consulting. I’ve applied to BCG, Bain, McKinsey, Kpmg, Pwc and Deloitte but I’ve been unsuccessful in all my applications at some point. I really want a wonderful career in business because I believe so much in my potentials and abilities. I don’t plan to give up on this. What other options do I have presently?
I don’t want to have to wait another year before I apply again.
How best can I go about it?
Everyone believes...but you have to prove you are better than the next guy. If you can't get into the accounting firms you listed there then consulting *might not be your thing. First class graduates from Harvard, Princeton, Yale bang the PST. It is not just about believe or wish you just have to be super intelligent. If at first you do not make it, join the Industry, you can give it another shot later.

2 Likes

Re: Life As A Consultant... by Emmyshegs(m): 8:03pm On Apr 12, 2020
Marxxx:
Everyone believes...but you have to prove you are better than the next guy. If you can't get into the accounting firms you listed there then consulting *might not be your thing. First class graduates from Harvard, Princeton, Yale bang the PST. It is not just about believe or wish you just have to be super intelligent. If at first you do not make it, join the Industry, you can give it another shot later.

I understand what you’re saying. I think I just didn’t prepare well enough. I will probably apply again.
What other options are viable in business career aside consulting?
Re: Life As A Consultant... by Marxxx: 7:33am On Apr 16, 2020
Emmyshegs:

I understand what you’re saying. I think I just didn’t prepare well enough. I will probably apply again.
What other options are viable in business career aside consulting?
Banking, you need to have advance excel skills, then you can apply for a business analyst position, you can also work in business performance monitoring dept in large conglomerates...

5 Likes

Re: Life As A Consultant... by jashar(f): 7:27pm On Jul 23, 2020
Marxxx:
Hi...I trust you had a great day. I am indoors most of the time. Ensure you are safe too. Thank you

Hi. Hope you're staying safe. How's your health? Stay safe and stay positive.
Re: Life As A Consultant... by CallmeX: 10:31pm On Aug 13, 2020
@Marxxx many thanks for this thread. I’m looking to get into Mckinsey, preferably this year.

I studied Business Administration in Unilag and finished with a 2:1. During my time in school I interned at KPMG in the Management Consulting Department and in the prior year I was a Programmes Management Intern at Prof. Pat Utomi’s NGO. I juggled my academics with leadership responsibilities as I was founder and president of a student association, which I established to solve the problem of the unpreparedness of undergraduates for the realities of life after school. My team and I sourced for, and linked paying members of the association with internship opportunities. I also led the organization and facilitation of career oriented seminars and workshops.

Right after school, just before the commencement of the mandatory youth service program, I worked as a Junior Facility & Engagement Manager at the 2019 Presidential Campaign Office. I served and currently work at one of the biggest Record Labels in Nigeria (as music and the business of it happens to be one of my major interests.) Currently, I’m also a contributory writer at Business Day.

From my background above, I showcase a range of versatility, and it can be deduced that I have three major interests namely;
1. Leadership/Governance
2. Music/Art
3. Management/Business

Despite the fact I just concluded my NYSC, I believe I’m a good fit for the consulting industry and I’m currently burning the midnight oil on practicing the Mckinsey PST and improving by the hour, however I need your advice on if it is better to practice the PST simultaneously with case study interviews or to focus solely on the PST till I make it past that hurdle in recruitment stages?

Keenly looking forward to your response

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Navy New Doctors Salary / House Of Representatives Intervenes In Diamond Bank Staff Retrenchment Dispute / 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.