Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,018 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair - Fashion (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair (98147 Views)

Tips On How To Grow Your Natural Hair Using Cooking Ingredients / 5 Tips On How To Protect Your Natural Hair This Harmattan Season / Check Out My Natural Hair 2 Years After Being Mocked About My Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 18, 2020
The draining and mixing

I drained my oil using tights. You can use a cheesecloth too. I don't advice using sieves because based on my experience and my first time sieving it in March, there were still some lavender and rosemary left in my oil.

So here are some mistakes I made, that I'm sure you can learn from. While draining the oil I advice putting, both the jar you want it drained into and jar contained the infused oil in a bowl to prevent losing any oil. As you can see based on the picture below, I just placed mine on a "pali", lol. This led to a lot of oil spilling onto the pali, if I had used a bowl, I had have still been able to use the spilled oil

My infused oil was had sort of a mint greenish colour, and once mixed with the orange oil, the colour changed into this (See pic 1. Sorry, itvs a lil bit blurred).
Not the colour imagined, but it does make sense orange + green = brown. Unfortunately, this was something, I had not really thought about.

I filled 1/4 of my oil into an applicator bottle as you can see in pic 2, the rest of the oil will be used for my butter.

I'll post about the butter tomorrow, I've been using it for about a week now and I love it! I'll also post tests I took, to see if my demands to my oil and butter were met.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Khonifer: 3:34pm On May 22, 2020
fieryy:
So should people with low porosity avoid heavy oils?

Not necessary. If you have low porosity and fine strands, yes. But if you have low porosity hair and thicker strands, heavy oils and products are your friends.
Of course, since you have low porosity hair, you still need indirect heat for your cuticles to open up and products to be absorbed in the first place, regardless of having fine or thick strands.

Khonifer, here's the detailed reply I promised. I know I'm late, but I hope I was you now understand where I'm coming from grin

Thank you!!! I actually got coconut oil added to my hair products and it’s been a few weeks since I went bald but my hair is already growing perfectly! It’s amazing how I thought adding water to your hair made it shorter grin grin grin Your thread was literally a life saver

2 Likes

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by neloyah: 1:41pm On May 29, 2020
Janettee, you're okay right?
How about your hair?
Is the clearing something personal cry
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by janettee(f): 2:14pm On May 29, 2020
neloyah:
Janettee, you're okay right?
How about your hair?
Is the clearing something personal cry

Hello, I'm okay. Nothing personal to be honest .

Thanks for asking, really appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by neloyah: 2:41pm On May 29, 2020
janettee:

Hello, I'm okay. Nothing personal to be honest .

Thanks for asking, really appreciate.

Okay.... Do take care of yourself, and your hair.. kiss love from this end♥
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by janettee(f): 3:08pm On May 29, 2020
neloyah:

Okay.... Do take care of yourself, and your hair.. kiss love from this end♥

Thank you kiss.

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:37pm On May 30, 2020
My herbal butter

This was very easy and fun to make, especially since we've already made our herbal oil.

All we need to add to our oil are solid bases, be it mango butter, cocoa butter, shea butter, avocado butter, coconut oil or babassu oil.

Here's a list according to your hair diameter

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 30, 2020
Babassu oil can be replaced with coconut oil as they are built the same way, that means have similar moleculat structure. However, babassu oil is less comedogonic and therefore less likely to cause acne or pimples. Babassu oil was one of my solid bases, due to its lauric acid properties, which aids in killing bacteria and fungi, hereby preventing and protecting the hair and scalp from dandruffs etc.

I plan on using my hair butter as a prepoo, hot oil treatment, oil rinse and as a sealant. Don't let the terms oil confuse you, as butters are just solid 'oils', due to their different molecular structure.

Since my strands are thick, I went with the thick strands recipe. I melted both shea butter and babassu oil by placing them inside hot water. Melting them is important for the butter's outcome because
1) It'll come out very fluffy
2) The solids can only thoroughly mix with the herbal oil when melted

Pic 1 : Babassu oil and shea butter
Pic 2: Boiling my water in a pot
Pic 3: Melted result
Pic 4: The result after pouring my herbal oil, melted shea butter and babassu oil in a bowl

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 30, 2020

Pic 5: Freeze overnight

Yeeeees, it needs to be SEMI frozen in order for it to be whipped to a butter

Pic 6: The frozen result
Pic 7: Whip till it 'rises' and it's extremely fluffy. I whipped for ca. 15 mins
Pic 8: Actually a gif, but this is the kind of fluffiness you want to achieve (Unfortunately unclear because I had to compress it.)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:39pm On May 30, 2020

One of my demands to my butter was fluffiness, which I definitely was able to achieve.

Another one had been wanting my butter to be penetrative/easily absorbed, so I tested it on my skin - precisely on my arm.

Pic 1 displays my arm at 8:37
Pic 2: I applied the butter immediately at 8:38
Pic 3: It started melting straightaway and after a min, it was completely melted
Pic 4: After rubbing into my arm, it got completely absorbed and left a light sheen, which had also been one of my criteria

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:39pm On May 30, 2020

Gif 1: Me applying the butter to my hair. It melted straight away onto my hair
Pic 6: Had to zoom on this one but look at the sheen after braided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:40pm On May 30, 2020
Pic 1: The final result
Pic 2: the rest AFTER the jar was full(so yes, it was definitely a lot)
Pic 3: After I closed the jar.

Store in a cool dry place

I'll make a more detailed post on how exactly implement it into my routine, after posting about my hair custard/pomade, clay mask and hair spritz.

Until then, I'd have been using the butter for ca. 2 months and will be able to give a more accurate update on the changes in my hair, but I can already tell my hair is now so much shinier.

Guys, the butter looked like ice cream. It was so fluffy!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by StubbornGENIUS: 6:41pm On May 30, 2020
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:43pm On May 30, 2020
StubbornGENIUS:
Am gonna spoil your thread today grin grin grin

Nooooooo! Chai! Why nau, you saw that I was booking space embarassed
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by StubbornGENIUS: 6:45pm On May 30, 2020
Oya beg me small make i delete this one
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 8:35pm On May 30, 2020
Oh and before I forget, I chose the whipping tool (or whatever you want to call it) on the right because I didn't want my butter to be stuck in between those 'metals'. It was just easier to work with, but of course you can use the one on the left as well

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 8:37pm On May 30, 2020
StubbornGENIUS:
Oya beg me small make i delete this one

Beg kini? The space I booked was enough grin
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by StubbornGENIUS: 8:40pm On May 30, 2020
fieryy:

Beg kini? The space I booked was enough grin
Okay nah.am following you now to spoil future bookings
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 8:49pm On May 30, 2020
StubbornGENIUS:
Okay nah.am following you now to spoil future bookings

Enemy of progress grin
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by StubbornGENIUS: 8:53pm On May 30, 2020
fieryy:

Enemy of progress grin
Beg me pls.am even begging you to beg me
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by neloyah: 2:37pm On Jun 02, 2020
fieryy:
Oh and before I forget, I chose the whipping tool (or whatever you want to call it) on the right because I didn't want my butter to be stuck in between those 'metals'. It was just easier to work with, but of course you can use the one on the left as well

Hi fieryy, thanks a lot for the the diy.

Can you mix it without a tool?
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jun 02, 2020
neloyah:

Hi fieryy, thanks a lot for the the diy.

Can you mix it without a tool?

Yes, you can but it's going to be difficult and might not come out as fluffy. Just use a big spoon and stir as fast as you can till it has a creamy consistency. Your arm might start hurting after a while though, but see it as an arm exercise cheesy
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by neloyah: 7:08pm On Jun 02, 2020
fieryy:

Yes, you can but it's going to be difficult and might not come out as fluffy. Just use a big spoon and stir as fast as you can till it has a creamy consistency. Your arm might start hurting after a while though, but see it as an arm exercise cheesy

Arm exercise? I dread that.. grin
The only mixing tool I have is manual and the friction is as good as working without a tool.
I'll try to think of shedding some arm fat as motivation for making my herbal hair butter lol.

Thanks a lot ♥♥
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jun 02, 2020
neloyah:

Arm exercise? I dread that.. grin
The only mixing tool I have is manual and the friction is as good as working without a tool.
I'll try to think of shedding some arm fat as motivation for making my herbal hair butter lol.

Thanks a lot ♥♥

Hahahahaha, you're welcome dear. You'll love it. If you don't mind, give an update on how it came out cheesy

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by neloyah: 9:36pm On Jun 02, 2020
fieryy:

Hahahahaha, you're welcome dear. You'll love it. If you don't mind, give an update on how it came out cheesy

Sure I would be excited to share cheesy cheesy kiss kiss
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:02am On Jun 03, 2020
neloyah:

Sure I would be excited to share cheesy cheesy kiss kiss

That'd be so cool cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Khonifer: 12:48am On Sep 09, 2020
Avocado oil and coconut oil available for sale. Both at a price of 4200 naira
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Princessama: 2:48pm On Oct 16, 2020
fieryy:

Pic 5: Freeze overnight

Yeeeees, it needs to be SEMI frozen in order for it to be whipped to a butter

Pic 6: The frozen result
Pic 7: Whip till it 'rises' and it's extremely fluffy. I whipped for ca. 15 mins
Pic 8: Actually a gif, but this is the kind of fluffiness you want to achieve (Unfortunately unclear because I had to compress it.)

pls can u email me your no @fierry pls my hair needs your help I have so much to ask u pls on WhatsApp
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 2:33pm On Oct 31, 2020
Clay mask

One of the reasons for incorporating more DIYS into my hair routing is due to the packaging of most natural hair products. Most are often packaged in plastic and although understandable, it is nonetheless less environmental friendly. I managed to completely stop the use of plastic, except when it comes to my hair and skin. I strongly doubt I'll be able to completely get rid of those, but my goal is to definitely reduce the usage by replacing whatever I can with more environmental friendly products.

Therefore, I've replaced my shampoo with a bar shampoo and clay mask. Owing to the fact that bar shampoos are easy to use and don't need much explanation, the following post will solely be about the implementation of clay mask in my routine.

I first started by doing my research on different types of clay: Bentonite, Rhassoul/Ghassoul and Kaolin clays. I wanted a less drying clay with a high mineral content, so Rhassoul it was.

For a more detailed clay analysis, I suggest watching these videos by GreenBeauty. She's been very helpful regarding my hair journey.

1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh2b2l1dEDo

2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihjmyUF8TN0&t=165s
Procedure

What you need:

Rhassoul clay

Aloe Vera Juice. I decided to go with Aloe Vera juice due to its moisturising properties and low pH.

Castor oil. Castor oil mainly because it's a source of ricinoleic acid - a very high fatty acid. I wanted the purest form of Castor oil and therefore went with just Castor oil instead of the famous Jamaican Black Castor oil. The difference between both is due to the color.
Black Jamiacan Castor oil is a result of roasted castor black beans before extracting. The roasting is what makes the oil have darker shade.

Your favourite essential oils: Mine are peppermint and tea tree oil

Before I forget; Castor oil STINKS! I'm not that sensitive to smells but holy sh*t castor oil, smells bad! I fixed the smell by mixing my Castor oil with a lot of peppermint oil. And avoid mixing in and with a matallic object, to prevent reactions.

After mixing all the ingredients above together, I applied directly on my hair and girl, when I tell you my curls were POPPING. Sometimes though, I apply directly on my twists because I'm too lazy to unravel them

After that I rinse, deep condition as usual, follow up with an oil rinse, moisturise my hair and twist them with the intention of leaving them for at least a month.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Brazilian Lady's Butt Explodes After Her Implants Were Infected (Graphic Photos) / G- Strings Or Granny Panties, Boxers or Briefs? / Tiniest Waist: Su Naing To Beat 1939 Guiness World Record (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.