Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,187 members, 7,835,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut (26654 Views)

Naira Rises To N389/$ As Banks Buy 29% Of Cbn’s Dollar Offer / Naira Shortage Forces Banks To Boycott CBN Dollar Sale / Naira Strengthens Against The Dollar As Bdc Intervention Goes On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by Boss13: 10:36am On Feb 28, 2017
ferking:
God bless Nigeria,these is good news oh,i pray for naira to gain strength and for our economy to be stronger above every other economy because we are really suffering oh.God help our government abeg.

It is not a matter of prayer, it's a matter of working. If CBN keeps supplying the market with dollars, the naira will appreciate. If the CBN doesn't, naira will fall. Prayer has nothing to do with it.

On the other hand, dollar supply from CBN is dependent on various factors such as continuous production and supply of oil and capital dollar inflow. If the Niger delta militants blow up any pipeline - guess what naira value will fall.

1 Like

Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by Nobody: 10:41am On Feb 28, 2017
One step forward...Ten Thousand steps backward... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by Boss13: 10:41am On Feb 28, 2017
uchealo:
190 or 150 will be a good stand of naira to a dollar, if we could get even 100 I will still be happy.

This is possible and like I previously stated - N150/$ is the real value of the naira. That is the value that will make Nigerian product, especially crude oil, very expensive to buy. At that value, foreigners will begin to make economic decisions except the Nigerian product is a necessity.

But do we have what it takes to get it to N150 - NO. It requires that our balance of trade with many countries exceed what they offer us. It means we are working and producing very hard. In my opinion, I think it's disgusting that we consider ourselves as giant of Africa, yet we can sell our products to other Africa countries

3 Likes

Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by Josephamstrong1(m): 10:43am On Feb 28, 2017
Josephamstrong1:
smiley
Just watching...
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by Nobody: 11:19am On Feb 28, 2017
That is the whole idea of the new policy... to force the dollar hoarders (and round trippers) to release their dollars into the market... as long as exports sales don't plummet below current levels, FG should be able to sustain this intervention.

BabaCommander:

Get where? You think FG can sustain the intervention? Truth is that they can't folks are doing panic selling that's the reason for the steady fall.

1 Like

Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by abbeyty(m): 11:22am On Feb 28, 2017
Boss13:

This is possible and like I previously stated - N150/$ is the real value of the naira. That is the value that will make Nigerian product, especially crude oil, very expensive to buy. At that value, foreigners will begin to make economic decisions except the Nigerian product is a necessity.

But do we have what it takes to get it to N150 - NO. It requires that our balance of trade with many countries exceed what they offer us. It means we are working and producing very hard. In my opinion, I think it's disgusting that we consider ourselves as giant of Africa, yet we can sell our products to other Africa countries

we sell religion to other countries...there is no country you go to in this world that you wont find at least a Nigeria church

1 Like

Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by bitcoininvesto(m): 11:26am On Feb 28, 2017
dayus444:
Well, time will tell if this can be sustained. I hope the naira will not make another monumental fall soon.
An irresponsible comment like this is counterproductive
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by BabaCommander: 11:27am On Feb 28, 2017
NubiLove:
That is the whole idea of the new policy... to force the dollar hoarders (and round trippers) to release their dollars into the market... as long as exports sales don't plummet below current levels, FG should be able to sustain this intervention.

Well just watch as importation will start in a fury. I have already been booked to help pay for some goods weLloyd over $100,000 for just one person, do you know how many big time importers will millions of dollars are cashing in on this?
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by dokyOloye: 11:32am On Feb 28, 2017
HungerBAD:
Good.

We predicted it, and i will repeat it again here. Things will get tough/hard first before becoming better. The good days are starting to come back to Nigeria.

Those praying for the downfall of Nigeria, should move to Niger Republic.

Gradually we will get there.
Use Ur head.
Can U tell me what will happen when d govt stops pumping in dollars as they are said to be doing now?
Treating d symptoms rather than d disease as usual.
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 28, 2017
Yes... it is likely to happen but FG may counter it by increasing custom import duty on some items to discourage indiscriminate importation and you know the restriction on banks' visa and mastercard still holds (GTB, UBA and Access are still the only banks allowing dollar transactions on Naira cards).

And FG could likely place outright ban on some items to prevent this.

BabaCommander:
Well just watch as importaction will start in a fury. I have already been booked to help pay for some goods weLloyd over $100,000 for just one person, do you know how many big time importers will millions of dollars are cashing in on this?

2 Likes

Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by haulforte123: 11:33am On Feb 28, 2017
The Difference Between Freight and Cargo.

The Confusion.

There had been a mix-up in what is called "freight or cargo".
Well, it normal. Any one can make such mistakes.

This mix-up comes as a result of their similarities.
In other words, the common factor between the two is that
"it refers to the transportation of goods from on place to another".

However there is a major difference between the two.

Here Is The Major Difference.

When you hear people talking about "Freight", this means they are
referring to the movement of their goods to different places through
trucks and trains.

However, Cargo refers to making use of ships or Cargo planes to move
goods to different points.

Hence the major difference is the means of transporting the goods.

Now the difference is clear and we hope you found it helpful.

To use our Shipment and Clearing services, contact us at:

info@haulforte.com
www.haulforte.com
+234 812 136 2702
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by Trybes(m): 11:35am On Feb 28, 2017
Slowly slowly let it be N50 to $.
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by BabaCommander: 11:37am On Feb 28, 2017
NubiLove:
Yes... it is likely to happen but FG may counter it by increasing custom import duty on some items to discourage indiscriminate importation and you know the restriction on banks' visa and mastercard still holds (GTB, UBA and Access are still the only banks allowing dollar transactions on Naira cards).

And FG could likely place outright ban on some items to prevent this.

Okay. Let's wait and see. But as someone who's into the import game, I know folks will be going for revenge to recover perceived loses. Let's just wait and see what happens in 3 months time.
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by Nobody: 11:46am On Feb 28, 2017
Yes, a lot of importers will come with that mindset but don't forget that FG can come up with all sorts of policies to reduce what they term as "unnecessary imports" like fruit juice, soft drinks etc... look at when they banned importation of used cars by land borders.

And look at how GTB, Access and UBA has banned paypal transactions, facebook adverts and Google play purchases with their Naira card.

BabaCommander:
Okay. Let's wait and see. But as someone who's into the import game, I know folks will be going for revenge to recover perceived loses. Let's just wait and see what happens in 3 months time.
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by MrGerald(m): 11:53am On Feb 28, 2017
HungerBAD:
Good.

We predicted it, and i will repeat it again here. Things will get tough/hard first before becoming better. The good days are starting to come back to Nigeria.

Those praying for the downfall of Nigeria, should move to Niger Republic.

Gradually we will get there.
Wait until bubu returns and all will scatter again
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by Trexnemesis(m): 12:27pm On Feb 28, 2017
Proverbs 29:2 When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by OAKSFIVEFARMS: 12:53pm On Feb 28, 2017
A lot of money is going out of the economy because of tourism and that money is not coming back, imagine how many students we have abroad, all of them paying exorbitant school fees, multiply that and you realize that is a great avenue for capital flight, a lot of Nigerians go for medical tourism, that is another avenue where money leaves our economy, vacations etc. While this money is leaving, there is no commensurate return. How many international students come to study in Nigeria, despite that, the rates we charge for school fees from them is much smaller than the rates Nigerians pay overseas. How many people are coming into Nigeria to get treated for ailments in our hospitals. So you have almost no money coming in at the rate it's going out. We depend on outsiders for everything, exchanging our hard earned naira for foreign dollars in order to be able to import all these things. This recipe spells disaster for our country, because no matter how much money you have, as long as you are spending more than you are receiving, you will go broke one day. So far, our leaders, in beimg disconnected from the masses and reality, are not guarding against these. Pray, Nigeria must wake up before that day where we wake up one morning and find out we are finally broke.
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by donsteady(m): 1:07pm On Feb 28, 2017
Clone2020:
If you are in the US or have relatives in the US trying to send money to naija, I will exchange the funds at 400/$, simply deposit into my US bank account and receive instant funding into your Nigerian account. Don't bother with western Union and co, they exchange at 375/$ with fees and the exchange rate drops to around 345/$.

See my contact below.

please check your whatsapp
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by femifaith(m): 1:53pm On Feb 28, 2017

1 Like

Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by MrKM: 2:07pm On Feb 28, 2017
donsteady, kindly send me email on faithkuf@yahoo.com
donsteady:

please check your whatsapp
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by donsteady(m): 2:18pm On Feb 28, 2017
MrKM:
donsteady, kindly send me email on faithkuf@yahoo.com
I should email you? On what basis?
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by k199192: 2:26pm On Feb 28, 2017
amanikondo:
Nothing new. It won't last. grin grin
don't you think it's good news... Above every other thing... It's a good news.. If the dollar can miraculously get back to 250naira or even 200naira don't you stand to gain more... Don't be blinded by hate...
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by k199192: 2:31pm On Feb 28, 2017
OAKSFIVEFARMS:
A lot of money is going out of the economy because of tourism and that money is not coming back, imagine how many students we have abroad, all of them paying exorbitant school fees, multiply that and you realize that is a great avenue for capital flight, a lot of Nigerians go for medical tourism, that is another avenue where money leaves our economy, vacations etc. While this money is leaving, there is no commensurate return. How many international students come to study in Nigeria, despite that, the rates we charge for school fees from them is much smaller than the rates Nigerians pay overseas. How many people are coming into Nigeria to get treated for ailments in our hospitals. So you have almost no money coming in at the rate it's going out. We depend on outsiders for everything, exchanging our hard earned naira for foreign dollars in order to be able to import all these things. This recipe spells disaster for our country, because no matter how much money you have, as long as you are spending more than you are receiving, you will go broke one day. So far, our leaders, in beimg disconnected from the masses and reality, are not guarding against these. Pray, Nigeria must wake up before that day where we wake up one morning and find out we are finally broke.
oga if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything... So if I want a better education for myself I should not go and get it because you think it's going to impoverish Nigeria... Dumb argument... Mind you so many nationalities leave their various countries to get better education somewhere else and you wonder why nobody comes to Nigeria... The best university in Africa is not even in Nigeria... It's in Ghana... Think before you come to public and expose your ignorance...
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by OAKSFIVEFARMS: 3:22pm On Feb 28, 2017
k199192:
oga if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything... So if I want a better education for myself I should not go and get it because you think it's going to impoverish Nigeria... Dumb argument... Mind you so many nationalities leave their various countries to get better education somewhere else and you wonder why nobody comes to Nigeria... The best university in Africa is not even in Nigeria... It's in Ghana... Think before you come to public and expose your ignorance...
I haven't said nobody should travel, neither have i said nobody should import. I have only highlighted the reasons why dollars are so expensive. Saying I'm ignorant means you think you are oh so smart. Use your smartness wisely, resist the urge to insult people who have differing views, especially if you don't have a point, it reeks of terrible upbringing.
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by abbeyty(m): 5:55pm On Feb 28, 2017
OAKSFIVEFARMS:

I haven't said nobody should travel, neither have i said nobody should import. I have only highlighted the reasons why dollars are so expensive. Saying I'm ignorant means you think you are oh so smart. Use your smartness wisely, resist the urge to insult people who have differing views, especially if you don't have a point, it reeks of terrible upbringing.

Brother your got valid point, just ignore that one who could not comprehend a post that is less than 100 words
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by k199192: 6:11pm On Feb 28, 2017
OAKSFIVEFARMS:

I still think your reasons are not relevant... Even America imports from China. Even UK imports from China... It doesn't weaken their currency.. What the Naira needs is less corrupt politicians and civil servants... Imagine where a person steals and houses 9.8million dollars "cash" .. Don't you think that amount of money if injected into the Nigerian economy would make the Naira stronger, that's if it used with zero corruption? I am not trying to be smart... Forgive my choice of words too it's just that you talking about restricting education to one's home country is sickening... Better Education should be encouraged.. Because it's from getting a better education that Nigeria stands a chance to be better... Emir Sanusi is celebrated today because of his learning, Okonjo as well and this new UN deputy Secretary, Amina and so many countless Nigerians.... If one can afford a foreign education I don't think it's luxury, it's a necessity. Please don't make such arguments again... It's your opinion though... And your mouth and your mb. Once again.. I apologize for using those words initially...
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by OAKSFIVEFARMS: 6:25pm On Feb 28, 2017
abbeyty:

Brother your got valid point, just ignore that one who could not comprehend a post that is less than 100 words
Lol, he is back again sef.
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by OAKSFIVEFARMS: 6:38pm On Feb 28, 2017
k199192:
I still think your reasons are not relevant... Even America imports from China. Even UK imports from China... It doesn't weaken their currency.. What the Naira needs is less corrupt politicians and civil servants... Imagine where a person steals and houses 9.8million dollars "cash" .. Don't you think that amount of money if injected into the Nigerian economy would make the Naira stronger, that's if it used with zero corruption? I am not trying to be smart... Forgive my choice of words too it's just that you talking about restricting education to one's home country is sickening... Better Education should be encouraged.. Because it's from getting a better education that Nigeria stands a chance to be better... Emir Sanusi is celebrated today because of his learning, Okonjo as well and this new UN deputy Secretary, Amina and so many countless Nigerians.... If one can afford a foreign education I don't think it's luxury, it's a necessity. Please don't make such arguments again... It's your opinion though... And your mouth and your mb. Once again.. I apologize for using those words initially...
Once again, whoever wants to travel should travel, i have no grouse with that, infact, had you bothered to read the submission, you would immediately realise that no where in that whole post did i say people should not do anything they so pleased . I am saying there should be a balance. What is wrong with strengthening our own education, our own health care facilities, what is wrong with reviving out own tourism industry, which is dead as is. Last year, our Ministry of Culture and Tourism made a paltry 600,000 from tourism. My point is, listen closely please, when dollars leave the economy, there should be a commensurate return. Once again, I have not said anybody should not travel nor seek for education abroad, I have only said we should find a way to encourage those dollars to come back. Let's broaden our horizons.
Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by amanikondo: 7:12pm On Feb 28, 2017
k199192:
don't you think it's good news... Above every other thing... It's a good news.. If the dollar can miraculously get back to 250naira or even 200naira don't you stand to gain more... Don't be blinded by hate...

Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by amanikondo: 7:12pm On Feb 28, 2017
adblack10:
u c ur life

You need to be caned.

Re: Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut by omejeo: 11:03am On Mar 01, 2017
wickyyolo:
Buhari knew this but didnt allow this policy to go on, instead he left his cabal to buy dollars at N3= $1.

I dont want Buhari to die. He should just extend his vacation until 2019.
pls sir do help me with ur strategy poampearl@gmail.com thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

World's 100 Richest Men. I Call The Ladies Men / A Bank Is Frustrating Our Efforts To Recover Our Late Dad's Money. Help!!! / CBN Revises Timelines For Dispense Errors, Refund Complaints

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.