Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,917 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

Ogun Vs Orunmila - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ogun Vs Orunmila (19980 Views)

Orunmila Jogbodo Oluwo: An Educated Babalawo (Native Doctor) Goes Viral / Orunmila And Osanyin / How Orunmila Spied On Almighty God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Odkosh: 11:53pm On Mar 01, 2017
Demigods666:

original yoruba religion never acknowledge any supreme one diety, this are all lies introduced by the enemies to further destroy the african religion, i repeat, the african religion yoruba does not acknowledge the christian god! do not mislead people, xtianity is never part of yoruba.
who now ask your for sermon?
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 11:55pm On Mar 01, 2017
Babalawos:
You are welcome and I hope you learnt somethings from this esoteric story?

THANKS A LOT Mr. Babalawo.

I think we should pay more attention to our local culture than what those who enslaved us bequeathed.

It's a shame we speak a whiteman's language better than ours (Obasanjo said this on radio)

My children would speak the local language at home, English outside. A lot of Nigerians feel it's fashionable for kids to speak English all the time

A girl once told me i speak English with a Yoruba accent. I asked if should speak with a London accent when i have never been there

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Adek15(m): 11:57pm On Mar 01, 2017
OP, can I share this story on my Facebook page please?
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Canme4u(m): 12:09am On Mar 02, 2017
God bless you sir.

Permission to share it on my blog sir with your profile and a link pointing to this thread as a source?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 12:30am On Mar 02, 2017
Zoharariel:

Tell me, when is Jesus coming back? In another 2000years time? grin cheesy grin
Buhahahahahahah

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Babalawos(m): 12:33am On Mar 02, 2017
Permission granted

Canme4u:
God bless you sir.

Permission to share it on my blog sir with your profile and a link pointing to this thread as a source?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Hanny042: 12:33am On Mar 02, 2017
Is IFA a religion or tradition and where does christianity stand in IFA .??
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 12:33am On Mar 02, 2017
Odkosh:
who now ask your for sermon?

Are you the only one who saw this comment? People who mind their business live longer.

1 Like

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Babalawos(m): 12:34am On Mar 02, 2017
Permission granted

Adek15:
OP, can I share this story on my Facebook page please?
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 12:38am On Mar 02, 2017
Babalawos, permit me to share unrelated odu texts in order that we keep the thread alive.

How tortoise became sacrificial requirement for Osanyin, the god of medicine/herbs.

“When the palm kernel oil maker is not at home, crows live in his work shop” was the one who cast Ifa for Tortoise, the Miser, when he was trading at Toku.

Two pigeons, seven pence two oninis, and a cock was the sacrifice so that his secret would not be disclosed. Tortoise offered the two pigeons and the seven pence two oninis, but he did not offer the cock with the rest of the sacrifice.

Long, long ago there was a famine on earth and in heaven. Tortoise sought a way to get something to eat, and he tried to find a clever trick. He got ready and went to the edge of the market where there was a hollow palm tree, and he hid inside it.

When market day‘ arrived and people came to market, Tortoise began to sing:

“The palm tree dances, the one that has palm leaves; Dance, I dance; “The palm tree staggers about, oh; Dance, I dance; “The palm tree staggers about; Dance, I dance. “The palm tree flits about the market; Dance, I dance; “The palm tree twists and turns through the market; Dance, I dance." When Tortoise began to sing in this way, and the people in the market heard him and saw the palm tree walking about the market, the whole market broke up.

Then Tortoise came out from the hollow of the palm tree and began to gather the traders’ goods and things to eat. Tortoise was doing this every market day and gathering all the food that came to his hand each market day.

When the people saw what was happening, they told the king, and the king sent the God of Iron to the market to bring him whatever was doing this kind of a thing. But when the God of Iron heard the song and saw the palm tree walking, he ran into the forest.

Thus the king sent all the Four Hundred Deities, and they went there but were not able to capture the thing that was breaking up the market.

Then Eshu said that he would capture it. When he went he tied 200 small medicine calabashes on his body, but when he reached the market and the market people assembled, and he heard the song and saw the palm tree walking, he ran into the forest with the others. The calabashes of medicine that he had tied on his body fell off, except for two, and these two began to say: “Pekelepe, gbagidari" “What is this? gbagidari”

When Eshu could not capture the thing, the king sent the God of Medicine to go and bring it to him. When the God of Medicine went, he took a burning iron with him, and he sat down next to the fire of those who sold bean fritters, and he put the, burning iron into the fire.

After a little while he began to hear the song and to see the palm tree walking. When the market people scattered, the God of Medicine remained seated and did not leave the market; he did not run away with the market people. When Tortoise saw that the market had scattered, he came out and began to gather up the goods, but when he came to the place where bean fritters were sold, he wanted to eat bean fritters. And as he reached out his hand to take a bean fritter, the God of Medicine pulled the burning iron out of the fire and pressed it against Tortoise's body. Tortoise cried out, promising that both Tortoise and Snail would become slaves of the God of Medicine. The God of Medicine said he would take only Tortoise as his slave and that he would not take Snail.

From that day on, we have been using Tortoise to sacrifice to the God of Medicine until this very day.

When this odu is cast for someone, Ifa says someone should make a sacrifice lest the thing he wants to do in secret be revealed and cover him with shame. Ifa says someone wants to do something, but shame will come to him if he does not make a very fine sacrifice.

2 Likes

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by AkinPhysicist: 12:52am On Mar 02, 2017
cheesy
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Jaymaestro(m): 1:48am On Mar 02, 2017
Yorubas have pretty interesting culture and history . I find the deities very fascinating. It reminds me of Greek/Roman gods pantheon

2 Likes

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Babalawos(m): 3:38am On Mar 02, 2017
Permission granted

IranjeIdita:
Babalawos, permit me to share unrelated odu texts in order that we keep the thread alive.

How tortoise became sacrificial requirement for Osanyin, the god of medicine/herbs.

“When the palm kernel oil maker is not at home, crows live in his work shop” was the one who cast Ifa for Tortoise, the Miser, when he was trading at Toku.

Two pigeons, seven pence two oninis, and a cock was the sacrifice so that his secret would not be disclosed. Tortoise offered the two pigeons and the seven pence two oninis, but he did not offer the cock with the rest of the sacrifice.

Long, long ago there was a famine on earth and in heaven. Tortoise sought a way to get something to eat, and he tried to find a clever trick. He got ready and went to the edge of the market where there was a hollow palm tree, and he hid inside it.

When market day‘ arrived and people came to market, Tortoise began to sing:

“The palm tree dances, the one that has palm leaves; Dance, I dance; “The palm tree staggers about, oh; Dance, I dance; “The palm tree staggers about; Dance, I dance. “The palm tree flits about the market; Dance, I dance; “The palm tree twists and turns through the market; Dance, I dance." When Tortoise began to sing in this way, and the people in the market heard him and saw the palm tree walking about the market, the whole market broke up.

Then Tortoise came out from the hollow of the palm tree and began to gather the traders’ goods and things to eat. Tortoise was doing this every market day and gathering all the food that came to his hand each market day.

When the people saw what was happening, they told the king, and the king sent the God of Iron to the market to bring him whatever was doing this kind of a thing. But when the God of Iron heard the song and saw the palm tree walking, he ran into the forest.

Thus the king sent all the Four Hundred Deities, and they went there but were not able to capture the thing that was breaking up the market.

Then Eshu said that he would capture it. When he went he tied 200 small medicine calabashes on his body, but when he reached the market and the market people assembled, and he heard the song and saw the palm tree walking, he ran into the forest with the others. The calabashes of medicine that he had tied on his body fell off, except for two, and these two began to say: “Pekelepe, gbagidari" “What is this? gbagidari”

When Eshu could not capture the thing, the king sent the God of Medicine to go and bring it to him. When the God of Medicine went, he took a burning iron with him, and he sat down next to the fire of those who sold bean fritters, and he put the, burning iron into the fire.

After a little while he began to hear the song and to see the palm tree walking. When the market people scattered, the God of Medicine remained seated and did not leave the market; he did not run away with the market people. When Tortoise saw that the market had scattered, he came out and began to gather up the goods, but when he came to the place where bean fritters were sold, he wanted to eat bean fritters. And as he reached out his hand to take a bean fritter, the God of Medicine pulled the burning iron out of the fire and pressed it against Tortoise's body. Tortoise cried out, promising that both Tortoise and Snail would become slaves of the God of Medicine. The God of Medicine said he would take only Tortoise as his slave and that he would not take Snail.

From that day on, we have been using Tortoise to sacrifice to the God of Medicine until this very day.

When this odu is cast for someone, Ifa says someone should make a sacrifice lest the thing he wants to do in secret be revealed and cover him with shame. Ifa says someone wants to do something, but shame will come to him if he does not make a very fine sacrifice.

2 Likes

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Babalawos(m): 3:39am On Mar 02, 2017
Àború, àboyè, àbosise Hanny042

Odo to ba gbagbe orison o ma gbe ni: "The spring that forgets its origin will run dry."

Ẹni t'ó bá f'ẹyin t'ọ̀pẹ̀ ní gbọ́ ohun Olodumare: “Those who rest their backs against the palm tree (symbolizing Ifa) will hear the voice of Olodumare.”

Bi owe, bi owe nIfa sọrọ: “Like proverbs, like proverbs is how Ifa speaks.”

“I will practise the custom of my house (ọrọ ile mi). Christianity will not stop me, Islam will not stop me from practising my traditional rites.”

Ifa philosophy is one of the oldest forms of knowledge revealed to mankind.

Unfortunately, the revelations of Orunmila have since the beginning of time been shrouded in utter secrecy and those who could afford the time and leisure to acquire it had no means of leaving any records behind them. Whatever we know of Ifa today has been handed down from generation to generation.

Alot of what people know about Ifa is also revealed even to this day by Orunmila himself because he constantly appears to his adherents in dreams to teach them what they ought to know about him and his works.

Knowledge of Ifa has mainly survived by Oral tradition from one Ifa priest to another and even the Ifa priests themselves are often reluctant to part with their knowledge for fear that if the knowledge becomes public property, the mystical facade behind which they operate will be destroyed.

This is not entirely their fault because it takes at least 21 years of indentured servitude to produce a proficient Ifa priest.

The body of knowledge called Ifa is endless, ageless and eternal.

Orunmila although the youngest of all the divinities created by God was actually Gods own witness when he began to create other organic and inorganic substances.

That is why he is referred to as "Eleri Upin." He alone knows the true nature and origin of all animate and inanimate objects created by God.

This knowledge has given him such unparalleled powers that make him the most effective of all divinities.

His followers like myself who are able to acquire some of the knowledge therefore wield tremendous powers which have often baffled many into calling it magick or juju.

Ifa encompasses the revelations, ways of life and religion taught by Orunmila.

That is why it is often said that Orunmila is the divinity but Ifa is his word.

The Ifa priest is the mouth piece of Orunmila and until recently, he was the axis around which daily life revolved in the community.

Babalawo

Hanny042:
Is IFA a religion or tradition and where does christianity stand in IFA .??

7 Likes

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by ElectGINeer(m): 3:52am On Mar 02, 2017
Please Babalawos, I want to ask if Yoruba have the concept of heaven and hell.
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by mrikay: 4:28am On Mar 02, 2017
you have talent as a writer... Please Contact me.
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by AlBaqir(m): 6:19am On Mar 02, 2017
bi0nics:

Tales by the moonlight. .

Nice Fiction anyways.. Would make a great nollywood blockbuster

Exactly. The story is nothing but fiction, tale among several Yoruba mythical tales.
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Hanibal(m): 6:29am On Mar 02, 2017
I'm enjoying this write up... But the "k" you put in supposedly yoruba names is an eyesore.
There is no "k" in Apetebi, iralepo.
Please I beg you edit and remove the "k" s it's annoying to the eye

4 Likes

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 6:29am On Mar 02, 2017
Hmmmmm... Very nice. Thanks OP, this is deeply appreciated. I was able to draw some parallel in this story with some Christian truths too. God does not take back the power he has already given to beings.

He didn't take back the power he already blessed Ogun with just as he didn't take back the power he gave to Satan as a fallen angel.

I'll be following for more...

By the way, I've always wondered why Sango the Yoruba god of thunder and Thor the Norse god of thunder both carry a hammer?

This to me is most puzzling and it seems to lend credence to the existence of these demi-gods.

Yorubas call Sango's hammer "Ose Sango" pronounced as "oshe".

Please OP, where can i get a full and comprehensive detail on the Yoruba pantheon of gods.

I'm writing a book and I'd be grateful if you can point me in that direction. Thanks.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by seunmsg(m): 6:33am On Mar 02, 2017
AlBaqir:

Exactly. The story is nothing but fiction, tale among several Yoruba mythical tales.

The same way your Bible and Quran stories are fiction and mythical tales of the Jews and Arabs.

As a proper Yoruba man, I will rather believe Yoruba mythology than believe that of the Jews or Arabs.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 6:34am On Mar 02, 2017
Jaymaestro:
Yorubas have pretty interesting culture and history . I find the deities very fascinating. It reminds me of Greek/Roman gods pantheon

That's true. It reminds one of the rich Greco Roman gods. I'm sure if we dig deeper, there will be lots of interesting parallels between both.

2 Likes

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Andrewabba(m): 6:51am On Mar 02, 2017
nice one
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 6:53am On Mar 02, 2017
IranjeIdita:

Hmmmmm... I remember this story as one my mom would tell us when we were kids.

But I remember the ending differently though.

The ending went something like this;

An effigy made in the form of a man painted with dripping sticky black tar was planted in the middle of the market.

When he had succeeded in driving away the marketers again as usual, he came out to pack all the foodstuffs. As he was making the rounds from one market stall to the other, packing food, he noticed the effigy and thought it was a man! shocked

He was first shocked, then he proceeded to harass the man. He did his usual dance and sang his usual song, but of course the effigy wouldn't budge. sad

The tortoise was furious, angry he dropped his load and moved closer. After a little cussing at the "man" and some threats as to how he, the tortoise would beat him to a pulp, he landed a dirty slap on the cheek of the effigy. His hand became stuck to the tar! shocked shocked

Tortoise was furious, with the other free hand he landed another slap. A kick here and a kick there, he became glued to the effigy. shocked

The following morning the market men and women came to the market expecting their goods to have been carted away as usual, but were shocked when they saw Mr. Ijapa, the tortoise hanging from the effigy. cheesy cheesy cheesy

They mocked him from sunrise to sunset, making fun of him, throwing insults as well as stones at him. embarassed

The king sentenced him to death and the people decided to burn him with the effigy since he was stuck and couldn't be pulled off.

So, in the evening, they mounted the effigy bearing the tortoise on a pile of wood and set fire to it and they all retired for the night. cry

The heat started licking the bumbum of Mr tortoise as the fire grew. But as the fire grew, the tar melted, until Mr tortoise finally found himself free and unharmed. He escaped blah blah blah... Fill in the rest yourselves... Ayam tired. angry

4 Likes

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by lasdas100(m): 7:03am On Mar 02, 2017
Babalawo please this story.
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by omolayomi06: 7:25am On Mar 02, 2017
Babalawos:
OGUN VS ORUNMILA
According to lwori-Ogunda, God admonished Ogun when he fell from grace otter contriving the assassination of Orunmila.
Ogun was very poor and his guardian spirit advised him to request Orunmila to prepare lfa for him. Orunmila refused on the ground that Ogun would try to kill him in an ultimate show of ingratitude.
Ogun begged Orunmila several times but on each occasion, the latter refused to oblige.
Eventually, Ogun reported the matter to the Divine Council of God where all present accused Orunmila of being uncharacteristically hard-hearted.
In his verdict, God Commanded Orunmila to prepare Ifa for Ogun.
Orunmila agreed to carry out the injunction but predicted that God would Himself be a witness to the ultimate manifestation of Ogun's ingratitude.
Orunmila proceeded to perform the ceremony which lasted seven days. Before finalizing the ceremonies, war broke out between llakporo (Hadlmand Aminikun (Ere bus) on the sixth day and being the divinity of war, Ogun had to leave for battle before completing his lfa ceremonies.
He fought both sides into submission and returned home with over 600 prisoners of war, all carrying the spoils and loots of war.

On getting home, Ogun began to ponder over the hidden powers that Orunmila wielded.
He thought to himself that if the ceremony performed by Orunmila could so efficaciously transform his lot from penury to affluence, what would such a fellow-divinity do to him the day he decided to dare him.
Ogun then contrived a strategy for the elimination of Orunmila.
He invited his soldiers and gave them detailed instructions to go to Orunmila' s house in the night not only to set it on fire but also to kill anyone trying to escape from the blazing inferno.
Traditionally, Orunmila's house is next to God's in heaven, which-is why he Is called Ajiborisha Kpero - meaning: "the divinity who goes to greet God first thing in the morning."
God's house is all white with a white flag in front of it. On the other hand, Orunmila' s house Is painted with black dyestuff with a palm frond In front of it.
Ogun told his followers to bum the dark coloured house without telling them who owned or lived in it.
Meanwhile at his usual morning divination, Ifa revealed to orunmlla that war was imminent and that he should without delay offer a he-goat, white native chalk, charcoal, white cloth and palm-frond to Esu.
He quickly sent Akpetebi to the market to fetch the materials and he made the sacrifice without any delay.
Late in the night. when everyone had Slept. Esu got to do the work for which food had been given to him. He turned the colour of Orunmila's house to white and inserted a white flag in front of it. At the same time, he turned the colour of God's house from white to black and Inserted a palm-frond in front of it.
At this point, it is important to recall the proclamation of Esu that although he has no creative powers, he can nonetheless mutilate whatever God has created or designed.
After everyone had slept. Ogun's soldiers moved in to attack. They had no difficulty in locating the black house with the palm frond In front of it. They instantly set it on fire and took position to attack whoever would come out of it.
When God saw that His house was on fire, He commanded the fire to extinguish because. "it is forbidden to do any damage in the house of God - "Aikoro lule Orisa." The fire was instantly extinguished.
God then asked Ogun 's soldiers what it was all about and they explained that they were acting on Ogun's instructions. He asked which house they were instructed to set on fire and they further explained that it was the dark-coloured house with palm-frond in front of it.
God immediately realized what had happened and used Divine Telephonic Telepathy to invite Ogun and Orunmila to His Divine Chamber.............. to be continued
Babalawo
you have start with unfinished story again
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Canme4u(m): 7:38am On Mar 02, 2017
Babalawos:
Permission granted

Thanks.
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Canme4u(m): 7:39am On Mar 02, 2017
omolayomi06:
you have start with unfinished story again

The second part is the at the first page.
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by barajo1(m): 7:42am On Mar 02, 2017
Lovegisty:
Orisirisi.... Receive Christ Today!!!

Receive sense!

2 Likes

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 8:05am On Mar 02, 2017
Ioannes:

Hmmmmm... I remember this story as one my mom would tell us when we were kids.

But I remember the ending differently though.

The ending went something like this;

An effigy made in the form of a man painted with dripping sticky black tar and planted in the middle of the market.

When he had succeeded in driving away the marketers again as usual, he came out to pack all the foodstuffs. As he was making the rounds from some market stall to the other, packing food, he noticed the effigy and thought it was a man! shocked

He was first shocked, then he proceeded to harass the man. He did his usual dance and sang his usual song, but of course the effigy wouldn't bulge. sad

The tortoise was furious, angry he dropped his load and moved closer. After a little of of cussing at the "man" and some threats as to how he, the tortoise would beat him to a pulp, he landed a dirty slap on the cheek of the effigy. His hand became stuck to the tar! shocked shocked

Tortoise was furious, with the other free hand he landed another slap. A kick here and a kick there, he became glued to the effigy. shocked

The following morning the market men and women came to the market expecting their goods to have been carted away as usual, but were shocked when they saw Ijapa, tortoise hanging from the effigy. cheesy cheesy cheesy

They mocked him from sunrise to sunset, making fun of him, throwing insults as well as stones at him. embarassed

The king sentenced him to death and the people decided to burn him with the effigy since he was stuck and couldn't be pulled off.

So, in the evening, they mounted the effigy bearing the tortoise on a pile of wood and set fire to it and they all retired for the night. cry

The heat started licking the bumbum of Mr tortoise as the fire grew. But as the fire grew, the tar melted, until Mr tortoise finally found himself free and unharmed. He escaped blah blah blah... Fill in the rest yourselves... Ayam tired. angry

You have a bright mind.

I totally forgot about the effigy with sticky substance even though I have spent years trying to recall how the 'alo apamo' was told to us as kids.

The edited version was lifted from that odu, an interesting story nonetheless.

2 Likes

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by olashas(f): 8:10am On Mar 02, 2017
Demigods666:

original yoruba religion never acknowledge any supreme one diety, this are all lies introduced by the enemies to further destroy the african religion, i repeat, the african religion yoruba does not acknowledge the christian god! do not mislead people, xtianity is never part of yoruba.
I think he meant to type "Eledumare".

1 Like

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 8:11am On Mar 02, 2017
ElectGINeer:
Please Babalawos, I want to ask if Yoruba have the concept of heaven and hell.

No.

It is continuous re-incarnation till it all ends.

You get what do you on this earth; your deeds in a previous life determines your life & status when you re-incarnate again.

Judgement for a good or evil life is here on earth.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Is There So Much Hate For Islam ? / Prayer Points For The Rescue Of Nigeria - Dr Oyedepo / Are Those Speaking Bad Of Jesus Christ Cursed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.