Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,087 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

Ogun Vs Orunmila - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ogun Vs Orunmila (19982 Views)

Orunmila Jogbodo Oluwo: An Educated Babalawo (Native Doctor) Goes Viral / Orunmila And Osanyin / How Orunmila Spied On Almighty God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 8:17am On Mar 02, 2017
Demigods666:

original yoruba religion never acknowledge any supreme one diety, this are all lies introduced by the enemies to further destroy the african religion, i repeat, the african religion yoruba does not acknowledge the christian god! do not mislead people, xtianity is never part of yoruba.

olashas:

I think he meant to type "Eledumare".

Actually there is one supreme deity called Olodumare as Olashas said.

Olodumare created the 400 deities who sit in the arrangement of 200 on his right and 200 on his left with Obatala, Orunmila and Esu being the closest to him.

It is just that in Yoruba belief system, humans do not deal with Olodumare directly and neither does he deal with us directly. He is too supreme and all too powerful for us, the 400 deities are the ones we interact with and who interact with us on his behalf.

Although, Obatala owns everybody by default from birth. Each person is made and pegged to a particular diety who not only serves as their guide and stuff but as their link to Olodumare.

4 Likes

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 8:23am On Mar 02, 2017
Hanny042:
Is IFA a religion or tradition and where does christianity stand in IFA .??

They are unconnected and should be treated as separate entities.

Nonetheless, Ifa allows for the practise of other belief systems.
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by eleshin(m): 9:26am On Mar 02, 2017
I love this thread.
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Babalawos(m): 9:29am On Mar 02, 2017
Thank you

eleshin:
I love this thread.
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 9:45am On Mar 02, 2017
IranjeIdita:

You have a bright mind.

I totally forgot about the effigy with sticky substance even though I have spent years trying to recall how the 'alo apamo' was told to us as kids.

The edited version was lifted from that odu, an interesting story nonetheless.

Thanks for the compliment. smiley

Those stories made our childhood. I hope to tell my kids too. Got lots of them. Wish other young parents would do same instead of gathering around the TV watching big brother naija. angry
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Odkosh: 10:16am On Mar 02, 2017
Demigods666:

Are you the only one who saw this comment? People who mind their business live longer.
story for the devil.
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 02, 2017
Ioannes:

Thanks for the compliment. smiley

Those stories made our childhood. I hope to tell my kids too. Got lots of them. Wish other young parents would do same instead of gathering around the TV watching big brother naija. angry

I won't lie, I grew up seeing some of the earlier series of the mind-fnck of a show. I questioned what exactly I have derived from the episodes I have religiously followed while younger but I could not pin point one thing and well the new ones just piss me off when I see or hear news/word about it.

Indeed, those stories made our childhood (alo apamo & alo apagbe). Mum, Grandma and uncles would always serenade us with these stories back then and we grew up thinking tortoise was a very bright animal until the first time I saw tortoise and I was like undecided.

I'll definitely begin to refresh my the record of these stories memory so I can probably write them for keeps for my children when they are here or at least have them handly to narrate every night but I already expect them, like the millennials to think of such things as archaic. grin
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 10:25am On Mar 02, 2017
IranjeIdita:

I won't lie, I grew up seeing some of the earlier series of the mind-fnck of a show. I questioned what exactly I have derived from the episodes I have religiously followed while younger but I could not pin point one thing and well the new ones just piss me off when I see or hear news/word about it.

Indeed, those stories made our childhood (alo apamo & alo apagbe). Mum, Grandma and uncles would always serenade us with these stories back then and we grew up thinking tortoise was a very bright animal until the first time I saw tortoise and I was like undecided.

I'll definitely begin to refresh my the record of these stories memory so I can probably write them for keeps for my children when they are here or at least have them handly to narrate every night but I already expect them, like the millennials to think of such things as archaic. grin

grin grin so true!
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by mcseun1(m): 11:35am On Mar 02, 2017
Nice piece
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Babalawos(m): 1:24pm On Mar 02, 2017
Thank you

mcseun1:
Nice piece
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Omotayor123(f): 3:49pm On Mar 02, 2017
Babalawos:
You are welcome and I hope you learnt somethings from this esoteric story?

sure I did. The write up was superb.& captivatingcheesy

Are you d original writer?
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Raintaker(m): 9:11pm On Mar 02, 2017
Ioannes:

Hmmmmm... I remember this story as one my mom would tell us when we were kids.

But I remember the ending differently though.

The ending went something like this;

An effigy made in the form of a man painted with dripping sticky black tar and planted in the middle of the market.

When he had succeeded in driving away the marketers again as usual, he came out to pack all the foodstuffs. As he was making the rounds from some market stall to the other, packing food, he noticed the effigy and thought it was a man! shocked

He was first shocked, then he proceeded to harass the man. He did his usual dance and sang his usual song, but of course the effigy wouldn't bulge. sad

The tortoise was furious, angry he dropped his load and moved closer. After a little of of cussing at the "man" and some threats as to how he, the tortoise would beat him to a pulp, he landed a dirty slap on the cheek of the effigy. His hand became stuck to the tar! shocked shocked

Tortoise was furious, with the other free hand he landed another slap. A kick here and a kick there, he became glued to the effigy. shocked

The following morning the market men and women came to the market expecting their goods to have been carted away as usual, but were shocked when they saw Ijapa, tortoise hanging from the effigy. cheesy cheesy cheesy

They mocked him from sunrise to sunset, making fun of him, throwing insults as well as stones at him. embarassed

The king sentenced him to death and the people decided to burn him with the effigy since he was stuck and couldn't be pulled off.

So, in the evening, they mounted the effigy bearing the tortoise on a pile of wood and set fire to it and they all retired for the night. cry

The heat started licking the bumbum of Mr tortoise as the fire grew. But as the fire grew, the tar melted, until Mr tortoise finally found himself free and unharmed. He escaped blah blah blah... Fill in the rest yourselves... Ayam tired. angry

No
You must continue sir

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Raintaker(m): 9:14pm On Mar 02, 2017
IranjeIdita:

They are unconnected and should be treated as separate entities.

Nonetheless, Ifa allows for the practise of other belief systems.
Is this true?
How so?
I thought Ifa is a belief system on itz own, although I noticed some science around it.
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 10:49pm On Mar 02, 2017
Raintaker:
No
You must continue sir

Lol. Don't let me derail the gentleman's thread. smiley

1 Like

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 11:08pm On Mar 02, 2017
Raintaker:
Is this true?
How so?
I thought Ifa is a belief system on itz own, although I noticed some science around it.

It is but it permits for involvement in other belief systems.

You could be a pastor or imam or buddhist and still get initiated into ifa & have your ifa at home you pray through/to, feed & divinate with.
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by darkhorizon: 4:18am On Mar 03, 2017
terrezo2002:
Nice fictional write up. Good for comprehension passages, but the story about Jesus Christ remains the truth in our hearts.

shut up fool serving a white god
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by darkhorizon: 4:20am On Mar 03, 2017
wapadunk:
One Old Grand Grand ..........Grand Man actually cooked this super story to entertain his children. Now see people has turned it to RELIGION.

like your belief in jesus or whatever was not cooked up abi? pot calling kettle black.hypocrite slave.
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Ishilove: 8:10am On Mar 03, 2017
Ioannes:
Hmmmmm... Very nice. Thanks OP, this is deeply appreciated. I was able to draw some parallel in this story with some Christian truths too. God does not take back the power he has already given to beings.

He didn't take back the power he already blessed Ogun with just as he didn't take back the power he gave to Satan as a fallen angel.

I'll be following for more...

By the way, I've always wondered why Sango the Yoruba god of thunder and Thor the Norse god of thunder both carry a hammer?

This to me is most puzzling and it seems to lend credence to the existence of these demi-gods.

Yorubas call Sango's hammer "Ose Sango" pronounced as "oshe".

Please OP, where can i get a full and comprehensive detail on the Yoruba pantheon of gods.

I'm writing a book and I'd be grateful if you can point me in that direction. Thanks.
Very poignant indeed. I totally agree with you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by anonimi: 8:25am On Mar 03, 2017
Ioannes:
Hmmmmm... Very nice. Thanks OP, this is deeply appreciated. I was able to draw some parallel in this story with some Christian truths too. God does not take back the power he has already given to beings.

He didn't take back the power he already blessed Ogun with just as he didn't take back the power he gave to Satan as a fallen angel.

By the way, I've always wondered why Sango the Yoruba god of thunder and Thor the Norse god of thunder both carry a hammer?

This to me is most puzzling and it seems to lend credence to the existence of these demi-gods.

Please OP, where can i get a full and comprehensive detail on the Yoruba pantheon of gods.

I'm writing a book and I'd be grateful if you can point me in that direction. Thanks.

The Yoruba religion and its myths have many parallels with the Jewish myths and stories recorded in the Bible and Koran.
I remember vaguely some of the Ifa stories dramatised on Ifa Olokun Asoro d'ayo on NTA Ibadan back then with Araba Yemi Elebuibon. It is however more CONVENIENT to reference the Bible stories as one has been taught those ones repeatedly from childhood and the Bible is easily available for cross-checking when fake pastors try their scamming swaggers.

1 Like

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 8:37am On Mar 03, 2017
anonimi:

The Yoruba religion and its myths have many parallels with the Jewish myths and stories recorded in the Bible and Koran.
I remember vaguely some of the Ifa stories dramatised on Ifa Olokun Asoro d'ayo on NTA Ibadan back then with Araba Yemi Elebuibon. It is however more CONVENIENT to reference the Bible stories as one has been taught those ones repeatedly from childhood and the Bible is easily available for cross-checking when fake pastors try their scamming swaggers.

You're actually right. Though Judaism and Christianity are both different religions now, but the former is the foundation for the latter.

We know so little of our tradition and religion, but so much about the foreign religions of Christianity and Islam.

Yet those who know so much about our tradition and religion know so little about these foreign religions.

I'm wondering if there's someone who knows so much of both, maybe he could draw many parallels between the Yoruba and the Christian religions.

For instance, we Catholics believe in approaching saints who are already dead and we believe they are in heaven with God to pray and intercede for us.

In Yoruba religion, our ancestors who have died are asked to intercede for us with Eledumare, the Almighty, the Creator of all. Even these so-called gods also intercede on our behalf to Eledumare/Olu Orun, Lord of Heaven. Yet some of these "gods" were mortal beings once, like Sango, the god of fire, lightning and thunder. He was once an Alaafin of Oyo. So also were his wives, Osun and Oba, oloris or queens in the palace, now goddesses venerated in Yoruba religion.

So yes I agree with your premise. There's a lot of similarities between Yoruba religion and Christianity and probably Judaism.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by anonimi: 8:52am On Mar 03, 2017
Ioannes:
You're actually right. Though Judaism and Christianity are both different religions now, but the former is the foundation for the latter.

We know so little of our tradition and religion, but so much about the foreign religions of Christianity and Islam.

Yet those who know so much about our tradition and religion know so little about these foreign religions.

I'm wondering if there's someone who knows so much of both, maybe he could draw many parallels between the Yoruba and the Christian religions.

For instance, we Catholics believe in approaching saints who are already dead and we believe they are in heaven with God to pray and intercede for us.

In Yoruba religion, our ancestors who have died are asked to intercede for us with Eledumare, the Almighty, the Creator of all. Even these so-called gods also intercede on our behalf to Eledumare/Olu Orun, Lord of Heaven. Yet some of these "gods" were mortal beings once, like Sango, the god of fire, lightning and thunder. He was once an Alaafin of Oyo. So also were his wives, Osun and Oba, oloris or queens in the palace, now goddesses venerated in Yoruba religion.

So yes I agree with your premise. There's a lot of similarities between Yoruba religion and Christianity and probably Judaism.

I believe that there is a field of studies called comparative religions in some universities but mostly limited to the main INTERNATIONAL religions.
We need to be more interested in our own religious studies as part of our cultural heritage linked to tourism and EMPLOYMENT instead of going abroad to be under-employed.
This should not be driven by government alone but by private investors who can thoughtfully fashion out a holistic approach to all the elements for synergistic opportunities for making more wealth.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2851343_screenshot201509122155001_jpegbfa7784d893218beec7bbaa410aae3d9

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855782_imaginationwallpaper10708146_jpeg8ab611433e315906637ee14df7014eeb

2 Likes

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Nobody: 9:04am On Mar 03, 2017
anonimi:

I believe that there is a field of studies called comparative religions in some universities but mostly limited to the main INTERNATIONAL religions.
We need to be more interested in our own religious studies as part of our cultural heritage linked to tourism and EMPLOYMENT instead of going abroad to be under-employed.
This should not be driven by government alone but by private investors who can thoughtfully fashion out a holistic approach to all the elements for synergistic opportunities for making more wealth.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2851343_screenshot201509122155001_jpegbfa7784d893218beec7bbaa410aae3d9

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855782_imaginationwallpaper10708146_jpeg8ab611433e315906637ee14df7014eeb

Hmmm... Very well said.

1 Like

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by loomer: 7:41pm On Mar 04, 2017
Canme4u:
God bless you sir.

Permission to share it on my blog sir with your profile and a link pointing to this thread as a source?

U get blog and u no tell me. Na wa to u o

1 Like

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Canme4u(m): 10:53am On Mar 05, 2017
loomer:

U get blog and u no tell me. Na wa to u o

I abandoned it a long time ago, I just wanna revive it.

I don't mind if you are gonna be posting content on it, any topic at all.

BTW, me no dey see you on whatsapp abi you don change contact?
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by loomer: 10:57am On Mar 05, 2017
Canme4u:

I abandoned it a long time ago, I just wanna revive it.

I don't mind if you are gonna be posting content on it, any topic at all.

BTW, me no dey see you on whatsapp abi you don change contact?

I dey WhatsApp o. Na work just press me down.

I don change work, and now I dey even work on some weekends
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Haoqi24: 12:20am On Mar 06, 2017
Ioannes:

Natural spirituality is the same, the slight differences are the influences caused by different culture but the root IS the same.
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Haoqi24: 12:28am On Mar 06, 2017
Ioannes:

The reason the Catholic is similar is simply because they integrated the natural spirituality which is called paganism with the new found fate. A move by emperor Constantine

1 Like

Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by Canme4u(m): 12:34am On Mar 06, 2017
loomer:

I dey WhatsApp o. Na work just press me down.

I don change work, and now I dey even work on some weekends
It is well my brother
Re: Ogun Vs Orunmila by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:22pm On Mar 17, 2017
ikorodureporta:
Is PAGAN9JA still on nl?

Yes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Prayer Points For The Rescue Of Nigeria - Dr Oyedepo / Alcohol Is Medicinal - Rev Fr Oluoma / Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.