Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,918 members, 7,814,090 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres (33329 Views)

5 Ways To Identify Bullet Proof Cars On Nigerian Roads. / Nigeria At 57: These Cars Have Rocked Nigerian Roads For The Past 57 Years / 13 Basic Driving Ethics Nigerian Drivers Don’t Practice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by SweetBoyFriend(m): 10:34pm On Feb 28, 2017
nabegibeg:

If no one in the US changes their snow tyres how come we have snow tyres pelnty plenty at ladipo

You have them because it came from salvaged cars

When a car gets into a minor accident, the owner abandon it and let the insurance company salvage the car

That's where you get your snow tyres

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by Burgerlomo: 10:41pm On Feb 28, 2017
nabegibeg:

You want to buy tire before you buy car ?

Always say no to weeds grin

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by slurryeye: 10:42pm On Feb 28, 2017
AutoJoshNG:
Winter tyres? In Nigeria??

I am sure you are currently battling with these questions at the moment.

Sure, some of us drive with winter tyres in Nigeria.. knowingly or unknowingly. The problem is, these winter tyres damage our roads as they become soft and sticky in hot weather thereby peeling the road surface quicker. Some of them even have metal studs/spikes which cause further damage to our roads. You would even hear the noise of the studs grinding on the road or the tyres sticking to the ground when the cars are driving close to you.

How many of us ever did a thorough inspection of the tyres that came with our cars from USA, Canada and Europe? Go check your car tyres right away.. ensure it does not have the M+S symbol which stands for MUD & SNOW and/or the three-peaked mountain with snowflake symbol as seen in the attached picture.

Several accidented cars are shipped to Nigeria and a reasonable chunk of those accidents are caused by snow... which means those cars may have been running on winter tyres.

By law, you are not meant to use these tyres during summer because they are bad for hot and dry pavement. Only summer tyres can give you the safety and performance you need in warm weather.

With their special compounds and tread patterns, winter tyres are designed to stay soft and flexible in cold conditions, providing traction and grip in low temperatures on wet and icy surfaces. But with the hot weather in Nigeria, they lose this advantage, grip declines and the tread starts to wear faster as the tyres become soft and sticks to the hot roads.

https://autojosh.com/how-nigerian-drivers-damage-nigerian-roads-with-winter-tyres/

Dude M+S no be winter tyre, it is all season. And it's a blatant lie that it destroys road. The difference between all season tyre and summer tyre is that all season tyres have more traction which is good for icy winter road. As the name suggest, all season tyres are good for all the seasons ie Winter, spring, summer and fall

As a matter of fact, I'm using my M+S tyres all year round, whether winter or summer, and nobody there stop me

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by Nobody: 10:42pm On Feb 28, 2017
Nicely copied and rewritten op, But WINTER tires dont damage roads. Just tell our government to build better roads. They are some old roads inside fedral low-cost estate of borno state that handled constant movement of heavy military vehicles & armored tanks for months without damage. And dis op they tell us ordnary Mud & Snow tire go damage road. Metchew

AND NO!!! I FIND YOUR RHETORICAL QUESTION ANNOYING, I AIN'T BATTLING SH#T

6 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by Nightshift(m): 10:45pm On Feb 28, 2017
Most Nigerian drivers do not know anything about winter tyres. From my findings, 95% of used winter tyres in Nigeria are imported from Europe.
Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by Nobody: 10:48pm On Feb 28, 2017
Doesnt make sense.

What you are saying, is that I am supposed to have 10 tyres this year for 1 of my cars oh. 4 Tyres for rainy season and 1 Spare, then another set of 4 tyres at dry season plus spare. What did you smoke ?

No good road can be damaged by tyre. You study basic sciences from nursery one ?

8 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by Nobody: 10:48pm On Feb 28, 2017
This is hogwash.

Any road that's damaged by tires wasn't well built.

Look for another stooge.

3 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by Nightshift(m): 10:49pm On Feb 28, 2017
I don't know about it's effect on Nigerian roads, but I believe that poor quality of asphalt and higher temperature contributes a lot to road damages in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by anonimi: 10:49pm On Feb 28, 2017
What is the role of the FRSC and the Customs in all this palaver

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by yhemster(m): 10:51pm On Feb 28, 2017
Dear Mr. Autojosh,

I will like to correct a false claim in your article. The term [M+S] definitely mean "Mud and Snow" but it's never classified as a winter tyre. Any tyre that carries the label [M+S] is called "All Season" tyre, which means its can serve both in the winter and summer. The designated winter tyres will definitely have the label "winter" written on it or have images of snowflakes. I personally have seen cars with winter tyres on them, I advised the drivers to get rid of them not because of the damage to the road but they're noisy tyres especially upwards 60mph.

I don't know if winter tyres damages Nigerian roads.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by Burgerlomo: 10:52pm On Feb 28, 2017
ALAYORMII:
Which one be winter tyre again

The winter tire is used during the snow period, and you can as well use all seasons tires which is good for all weather conditions.
Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by Nobody: 10:55pm On Feb 28, 2017
Thanks for this post.
The first time i saw a tyre with metal spikes was with a friend, sincere4u. You can imagine the sound it makes on the ground, quite different from the usual tyres.
He doesn't use that particular car often but i think he needs to read this......reason i mentoned him.
Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by InvertedHammer: 10:55pm On Feb 28, 2017
AutoJoshNG:

Sure, some of us drive with winter tyres in Nigeria.. knowingly or unknowingly. The problem is, these winter tyres damage our roads as they become soft and sticky in hot weather thereby peeling the road surface quicker. Some of them even have metal studs/spikes which cause further damage to our roads. You would even hear the noise of the studs grinding on the road or the tyres sticking to the ground when the cars are driving close to you.

How many of us ever did a thorough inspection of the tyres that came with our cars from USA, Canada and Europe? Go check your car tyres right away.. ensure it does not have the M+S symbol which stands for MUD & SNOW and/or the three-peaked mountain with snowflake symbol as seen in the attached picture.

Several accidented cars are shipped to Nigeria and a reasonable chunk of those accidents are caused by snow... which means those cars may have been running on winter tyres.

By law, you are not meant to use these tyres during summer because they are bad for hot and dry pavement. Only summer tyres can give you the safety and performance you need in warm weather.

With their special compounds and tread patterns, winter tyres are designed to stay soft and flexible in cold conditions, providing traction and grip in low temperatures on wet and icy surfaces. But with the hot weather in Nigeria, they lose this advantage, grip declines and the tread starts to wear faster as the tyres become soft and sticks to the hot roads.

https://autojosh.com/how-nigerian-drivers-damage-nigerian-roads-with-winter-tyres/

M+S is all season.

I didn't know that they have tires for snow.

What are snow chains again used for?

\

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by Nightshift(m): 10:56pm On Feb 28, 2017
In Europe, drivers change their winter tyres to summer tyres between ending of March and early May. Summer tyres are known for its smoothness on asphalt and firm grip on wet roads.
Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by Nobody: 10:57pm On Feb 28, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:

That's a lie

Stop blaming Nigerian drivers who are the best drivers in the world

The first mistake you made is by saying that M+S tyres are snow tires, You're a big joke

Dude, are you serious ?? M+S tyres are all season tyres, you can use them in spring, autumn, winter and summer

Snow tyres do not damage asphalt

Go to Maine where it snows all year round or Alaska where it snows 7 months in a year, their roads are in good condition

How do you think that an ordinary snow tyres would cause road damage ?? What then would 18 Wheeler truck tyres do to those roads ?? Use your brain

Road damages occur because of cheap materials used in road construction and poor maintenance

No one in the USA changes their snow tyres and they have good roads

Stop putting your blame on tyres

I would have proved you wrong by going around in the summer and taking pictures of cars that has snow tyres on them and then show you the road they drive it on but i don't have that time to waste on some BS

I will delete my Nairaland account because of this ignorance
wink
Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by Nobody: 10:58pm On Feb 28, 2017
AutoJoshNG:

Actually having M+S on a tyre doesn't necessarily mean it is a winter tire. It might just be all season with decent grip on snow but not for severe snow. It is only when u have the snowflake symbol that signifies snow tyres. I have a set of Bridgestone rueter rvt on my car with the M+S symbol but no snowflake. They are all season tyres.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by playboy19(m): 10:58pm On Feb 28, 2017
Well what else can I say, people have answered the op already. M+S is all season and tyres don't damage roads, it is always the other way round. Except you are driving some heavy military tanks on some poorly built road.
Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by Nobody: 11:05pm On Feb 28, 2017
`

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by DICKtator: 11:11pm On Feb 28, 2017
There are also all season tyre which works well for all seasons

But like someone mentioned, the blame game should also rest on the government that do not have a standardized procedure through its agencies( Customs and FRSC)

grin grin grin grin
Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by Nobody: 11:12pm On Feb 28, 2017
Some men have winter wife. They are only ok when the marital condition is cool but when things heat up, they start causing damage! undecided
Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by d33types: 11:12pm On Feb 28, 2017
OP... All for frontpage??
Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by nkemdi89(f): 11:18pm On Feb 28, 2017
My own tyre has iron round it, the moment I pass it informs everyone of my arrival, no thanks to IBU our continental driver who accompanied to buy it at new market. Police do stop me because of the noise and some people will be calling my attention that my tyre have picked nail.
Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by 12345baba(m): 11:23pm On Feb 28, 2017
I hate Nairaland because of it's wrong and fake News it carries but am kinda addicted to nairaland cos I enjoy bashing seun and CO. I also guess the admin are addicted to banning me
Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by slurryeye: 11:24pm On Feb 28, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:

That's a lie

The first mistake you made is by saying that M+S tyres are snow tires, You're a big joke

Dude, are you serious ?? M+S tyres are all season tyres, you can use them in spring, autumn, winter and summer

Go to Maine where it snows all year round or Alaska where it snows 7 months in a year, their roads are in good condition

How do you think that an ordinary snow tyres would cause road damage ?? What then would 18 Wheeler truck tyres do to those roads ?? Use your brain

Road damages occur because of cheap materials used in road construction and poor maintenance

I would have proved you wrong by going around in the summer and taking pictures of cars that has snow tyres on them and then show you the road they drive it on but i don't have that time to waste on some BS

You don't need to go around and take pictures, I'm a living witness, I use my M+S tyres all year round just like many people here. And our roads are potholes free
Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by chronique(m): 11:27pm On Feb 28, 2017
Lol. OP, we live in a world where anybody can get info on issues within few seconds and minutes, just with a few clicks. Try and research your topics properly before posting them. Not everything you read on the internet, is correct. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by drphantom: 11:28pm On Feb 28, 2017
yhemster:
Dear Mr. Autojosh,

I will like to correct a false claim in your article. The term [M+S] definitely mean "Mud and Snow" but it's never classified as a winter tyre. Any tyre that carries the label [M+S] is called "All Season" tyre, which means its can serve both in the winter and summer. The designated winter tyres will definitely have the label "winter" written on it or have images of snowflakes. I personally have seen cars with winter tyres on them, I advised the drivers to get rid of them not because of the damage to the road but they're noisy tyres especially upwards 60mph.

I don't know if winter tyres damages Nigerian roads.

Two gbosa for you. Took the words out of my mouth.

http://www.tirebuyer.com/education/all-season-tires-vs-winter-tires

http://tires.tirerack.com/tires/M%20S%20Rated
Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by themonk(m): 11:38pm On Feb 28, 2017
nabegibeg:

If no one in the US changes their snow tyres how come we have snow tyres pelnty plenty at ladipo
Because they have respect for expiry date of tires bro.
Are you insinuating they change their tires at the end of every winter?
Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by slurryeye: 11:38pm On Feb 28, 2017
InvertedHammer:

M+S is all season.

I didn't know that they have tires for snow.

What are snow chains again used for?

\

Snow chains are mostly used on heavy equipment or vehicles on difficult terrains to aid traction
Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by ogocology: 12:19am On Mar 01, 2017
Ignorant folks opening threads anyhow especially on topics they have no clue!
Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by sorextee(m): 12:20am On Mar 01, 2017
It seems u know a lot bout car tyres or rather cars in general.. U shld do some write ups bout them.. I go like learn.. Thanks..

SweetBoyFriend:

That's a lie

Re: How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres by OsamaB: 12:31am On Mar 01, 2017
AutoJoshNG:

The article say M+S means mud and snow. Majority of our roads are mud during the raining season now.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

11 Die, 8 Injured In Ondo Auto Crash (pictured Of The Vehicles) / Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria / Would You Buy This Almost Brand New 1985 BMW 323i For N30m? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.