Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,893 members, 7,814,017 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters (19185 Views)

Buhari Sick Again Tied With Wires And 5 Doctors / Sick Leave: Buhari Could Remain In London For 4 More Months - Sahara Reporters / Buhari Extends His Sick Leave by Unspecified Number of Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by Sanchez01: 6:24am On Mar 02, 2017
When protesters marched on Nigeria's presidential villa earlier this month to complain about a biting recession, they were not repelled by baton-wielding policemen, the usual fate for anyone arriving uninvited at the gate of the country's power center.

Instead, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, who is standing in for the country's sick leader, sent a vehicle to ferry the protest leaders to his office, where they complained about widespread corruption.

In a frank admission, Osinbajo acknowledged the government had failed to make as much progress fighting graft as it had hoped.

"We hear you loud and clear," he told the protesters.

President Muhammadu Buhari has been in London for six weeks on medical leave, raising questions over his capacity to govern Africa's largest economy.

In his absence, diplomats and business leaders say the presidency has acted with an energy rarely seen in the two years since Buhari, 74, was elected.

Civil servants say they are handling heftier workloads, while investors are praising a new, long-needed foreign exchange policy. Meanwhile, diplomats say Osinbajo's inner circle is gaining influence inside the presidency.

To be sure, Osinbajo has made clear his loyalty lies with Buhari, a retired general who has struggled to define a clear strategy to deal with Nigeria's slide into recession and stands accused by opponents of inaction.

But the 59-year-old lawyer is getting work done. He has relaxed visa rules to lure foreign investors -- a plan drawn up by Buhari but which like others got stuck in his chief of staff's office, according to diplomats.

Officials in the Aso Rock presidential complex in Abuja have seen their working hours extended to 7 p.m. when Osinbajo leaves, or later. Buhari and his aides typically close shop at 4 p.m., officials said.

"This man is a workaholic," one presidency insider said. "I wonder whether he rests at all because he even shifts some of the meetings to his official residence."

"BACK ON TRACK"

Nigeria tumbled into a full-year recession in 2016 for the first time in a quarter of a century as a slump in crude oil revenues hammered the OPEC member's public finances.

The Treasury has faced an acute shortage of hard currency that has piled pressure on the Naira, which still trades at a more-than 30 percent premium on the black market even after policymakers effectively devalued the currency for private individuals last Monday.

After stiff resistance from Buhari for a full devaluation throughout last year. With the president absent, last week's move was seen as testing the waters for a broader weakening.

The central bank's move came after the National Economic Council, an advisory body headed by the vice president, called for an urgent review.

"We believe the reform agenda is back on track," said Bismarck Rewane, CEO of Lagos consultancy Financial Derivatives. "The reform agenda has always been there but is more visible now with the vice president," he said.

The president's office has posted pictures on social media of Buhari recuperating to allay rumors his health was worse than publicly acknowledged, though none have been published for more than a week.

For now, there is no clarity on when Buhari, from the predominantly Muslim north, will return.

Osinbajo's leadership appears to have been accepted in the north, which under an informal deal with the Christian south should have its turn at the helm of power.

And he has won praise from southerners who felt neglected by Buhari, visiting both the commercial capital, Lagos, and the oil producing Niger Delta on several occasions. Buhari has visited neither as president.

Local residents say militant attacks on pipelines in the Delta have fallen since Osinbajo promised to drag the region out of poverty in a flurry of speeches.

Moreover, Osinbajo has showed himself to be swift to act.

On one trip to Lagos' international airport, he challenged officials on why the air conditioning and a luggage carousel were not working, and even inspected the toilets. The next day he fired the bosses of Nigeria's civil aviation.

Aides to Osinbajo stress that he is acting with Buhari's consent.

"President Buhari ... ensures that everyone falls in line," said Osinbajo's spokesman, Laolu Akande.

It is a message that Buhari loyalists are quick to reinforce. The president's political adviser, Babafemi Ojodu, said the two men spoke every day.

"There is nothing that has been done since the vice president started acting that is not something that started far back in the past," said Ojodu.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nigeria-politics-idUSKBN16726E

4 Likes

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:25am On Mar 02, 2017
I don't know what to say, but I have a suggestion to make...

Is It Not Better We Loan Buhari To Zulus??

102 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by Nobody: 6:26am On Mar 02, 2017
"Officials in the Aso Rock presidential complex in Abuja have seen their working hours extended to 7 p.m. when Osinbajo leaves, or later. Buhari and his aides typically close shop at 4 p.m., officials said."

"This man is a workaholic," one presidency insider said. "I wonder whether he rests at all because he even shifts some of the meetings to his official residence."

So you want Buhari to remain on leave so as to maintain the energy level? Issorait wink

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by kokosin: 6:26am On Mar 02, 2017
my shoe laughing at buhari epic dullness

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by sarrki(m): 6:28am On Mar 02, 2017
Same team

Same spirit

Pmb & Pyo

For life

10 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by rozayx5(m): 6:30am On Mar 02, 2017
true

everything will fall into place with time

even pdp admits osinbajo is different. thats the power of competence

when you dwell on chasing kanu and ipob and leave the economy to fate. your always gonna fail

education will always make a difference when the time comes. An enlightened person stepped into the seat of power and things changed.

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by Sanchez01: 6:30am On Mar 02, 2017
That the international community has come to observe a lot in the Presidency is an indication that we are moving in the right direction, though gradually.

Some might say Osinbajo's actions are ordered by the President, which I'm almost forced to believe. But if so, how come these changes have never been noticed while the President was around?

Off all thing, I pray that Osinbajo would have garnered more support from every side, such that the cabals behind the President would be pushed into a corner.

I sincerely hope Osinbajo summons the strength to wade into the Fulani Herdsmen issue which is boss has been all mum on.

If Osinbajo is fit to do the job,et the President relax and allow him do it, Osinbajo might take all the glory but history would record that the achievements were made under the Buhari-led administration.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:30am On Mar 02, 2017
Buhari killed Nigeria with his negative economic policies cool

God Bless Prof Yemi Osinbajo

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by DavSagacity(m): 6:30am On Mar 02, 2017
President is sick..he's not sick I say president is sick.... i say he's not sick Oga is not well....i say Nothing do Oga now. Toh...

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by sarrki(m): 6:32am On Mar 02, 2017
Enemies of the state are bent on causing animosity among our great leaders

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by Sanchez01: 6:32am On Mar 02, 2017
sarrki:
Same team

Same spirit

Pmb & Pyo

For life
Same team, yes, but the same spirit? Obviously not, save we want to tell lies to ourselves. Osinbajo has ushered in a positive vibe, as opposed to the depression Buhari’s dished us.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:32am On Mar 02, 2017
sarrki:
Same team

Same spirit

Pmb & Pyo

For life

Not same spirit Abeg he remains Prof Yemi Osinbajo

21 Likes

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by Firefire(m): 6:33am On Mar 02, 2017
[s]
sarrki:
Same team

Same spirit

Pmb & Pyo

For life
[/s]

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by rozayx5(m): 6:34am On Mar 02, 2017
Sanchez01:
That the international community has come to observe a lot in the Presidency is an indication that we are moving in the right direction, tho if gradually.

Some might say Osinbajo's actions are ordered by the President, which I'm almost forced to believe. But if so, how come these changes have never been noticed while the President was around?

Off all thing, I pray that Osinbajo would have garnered more support from every side, such that the cabals behind the President would be pushed into a corner.

I sincerely hope Osinbajo summons the strength to wade into the Fulani Herdsmen issue which is boss has been all mum on.

If Osinbajo is fit to do the job,et the President relax and allow him do it, Osinbajo might take all the glory but history would record that the achievements were made under the Buhari-led administration.

they are not order by any president. his boss was dull on economisc issues and matters of national security

the confirmation of cjn Onnoghen .new fx policy etc are things buhari shud have done. but decided to allow hardship kill the economy

the fact that buhari has led Nigeria into a recession twice is not a coincidence. its incompetence

68 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by naijaboy756: 6:34am On Mar 02, 2017
How can men be intentionally evil?

Buhari intentionally inflicted pains on the people who trekked for him,donated life savings etc.

How can men be so heartless? Just 6 weeks and things are getting better

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by Rilwayne001: 6:34am On Mar 02, 2017
God bless president Osinbajo.

Although i pray God heal Buhari and also that he comes back safely, however he should retire to Daura so he can go and stay with his cows, he shouldn't come back to Aso Villa for goodness sake. I think he's better with the affairs of his cows that with the affairs of Nigerians.

God bless Nigeria smiley

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by Sanchez01: 6:35am On Mar 02, 2017
sarrki:
Save you are not politically conscious, animosity is a natural phenomenon in politics. It might be managed to a certain degree but that is not to say it has never been there.

And by the way, I guess it is safe to say Reuters is an enemy of Nigeria too, going by your assertion?

Perhaps Nigerians praising Osinbajo pushed Buhari to lose his senses on the seat.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by Firefire(m): 6:35am On Mar 02, 2017
God bless President Yemi Osinbajo, Buhary please get well soon and enjoy your retirement.

Sai Barber, 84-Year Old no be joke.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by Rilwayne001: 6:37am On Mar 02, 2017
sarrki:

Shut up robotic-zombie!! That's a foreign media not a local one. Isn't it obvious that Buhari's body odour his totally affecting the country's situation ? Or are you going to tell me that you haven't felt any fresh air since he went out?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4941263_zombie_pngac69ef4533499748de62d048fe98fe75

ZOMBIE

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by naijaboy756: 6:37am On Mar 02, 2017
sarrki:
sai baba comedian...
If causing animosity among one seemingly good leader and baba recession will PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE of the masses, then i hereby INVOKE animositiesssssssssssssssss

35 Likes

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by Rilwayne001: 6:38am On Mar 02, 2017
Firefire:
God bless President Yemi Osinbajo, Buhary please get well soon and enjoy your retirement.

Sai Barber, 84-Year Old no be joke.

Nice to you again angry

Where you come enter a these while? You follow Bubu to London undecided

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by sarrki(m): 6:39am On Mar 02, 2017
Rilwayne001:

Shut up robotic-zombie!! That's a foreign media not a local one. Isn't it obvious that Buhari's body odour his totally affecting the country's situation ? Or are you going to tell me that you haven't felt any fresh air since he went out?

Guy make your point and be decorum on this platform

Wailers way Sha is to insult and lie
Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by naijaboy756: 6:39am On Mar 02, 2017
Rilwayne001:

mind u!

They have moved from robots to sai barber comedians entertaining nairaland...Madridguy,Sarki,Dropshot etc

7 Likes

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by stinggy(m): 6:40am On Mar 02, 2017
sarrki:
grin grin angry

7 Likes

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:41am On Mar 02, 2017
sarrki:
Rilwayne001:

I'm here to officiate this fight between A Repentant Zombie & An Unrepentant Zombie, stay glue with your phone as jungle matures in no distant time cool cool

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by Rilwayne001: 6:41am On Mar 02, 2017
sarrki:

Guy make your point and be decorum on this platform

Wailers way Sha is to insult and lie

Telling you to shut up is an insult ehn
And you didn't answer my question undecided

5 Likes

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by sarrki(m): 6:43am On Mar 02, 2017
Rilwayne001:

Telling you to shut up is an insult ehn
And you didn't answer my question undecided

Goodmorning high chief of the wailing wailers

Baba is Good

He will come back and shame the enemies of state
Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by Sanchez01: 6:43am On Mar 02, 2017
rozayx5:

they are not order by any president. his boss was dull on economisc issues and matters of national security

the confirmation of cjn Onnoghen .new fx policy etc are things buhari shud have done. but decided to allow hardship kill the economy

the fact that buhari has led Nigeria into a recession twice is not a coincidence. its incompetence
Very true! Buhari was and is dull on economic issues. However, I believe he is not on security matters for certain reasons. As a matter of fact, the latter is his strength. And if we are to judge with the Herdsmen's actions and the silence of the Presidency, then permit me to become a conspiracy theorist by stating that it is a grand plot of the Northern forces to muzzle out other regions, with the help of the Presidency.

It is strange that not a single Herdsman has been caught and apprehended by the FG yet they are quick to show solidarity towards countries that are nursing tragic events. Take the Paris shootings for example.

If the President doesn't come back, I honestly don't care. Mine is that IF he is to return at all, it would be to resign and not become a lettuce on that seat. Osinbajo is enough for now.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by naijaboy756: 6:44am On Mar 02, 2017
BeeBeeOoh:
I'm here to officiate this fight between A Repentant Zombie & An Unrepentant Zombie, stay glue with your phone as jungle matures in no distant time cool cool
hahahahaha.....
Sarki is still a zombie because BMC increased his allowance

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by naijaboy756: 6:45am On Mar 02, 2017
sarrki:

Goodmorning high chief of the wailing wailers

Baba is Good

He will come back and shame the enemies of state

coming straight to Daura

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters by sarrki(m): 6:45am On Mar 02, 2017
BeeBeeOoh:

Field marshal of wailers

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Nigeria Still Needs Buhari – Tinubu / 'Breakfast Was Served Very Hot’: Fintiri Jokes After Receiving Certificate / Brace Up For Protest, Strike Action – NLC, TUC Charge Rivers Workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.