Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language (22251 Views)

Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / Reasons Nigerian Men Are Scared Of 'calabar Women' - Brainnewsng / 3 Reasons Nigerian Men Are Scared Of Calabar Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by kstyle2(m): 8:21am On Mar 02, 2017
I really wish I could speak mine fluently but I understand almost everything.
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by wunmi590(m): 8:21am On Mar 02, 2017
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by AirstarKane(f): 8:21am On Mar 02, 2017
The hausa/Fulani tribe is one I still respect for upholding their language. You seldom find any hause child without the knowledge of their language. Thumbs up to you guys. I dey find who go teach me sef. My love for them dey grow everyday since nysc posted me to one of their states smiley

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Segadem(m): 8:21am On Mar 02, 2017
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by misteryman: 8:22am On Mar 02, 2017
Some Parents believe that once you start speaking your dialect, that you are close to Locality. grin grin grin
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by kelvee(m): 8:22am On Mar 02, 2017
I don't c how this is a big ish! angry angry undecided

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by pxjosh(m): 8:22am On Mar 02, 2017
victor247:
Would have appreciated this post if it was written in Ibo, Hausa or Yoruba.
If it was written in one language how do you expect those of other languages to understand.?
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Elder4sure(m): 8:23am On Mar 02, 2017
Op thanks for this post. Our heritage is at the brink of extinction and no-one seems to do anything about it. Look at children who can't speak their language, u just don't blame them but the parent. It's the greatest form of irresponsibility if you ask me. We need to reverse the trend.
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by DirewolfofStark(m): 8:23am On Mar 02, 2017
AirstarKane:
The hausa/Fulani tribe is one is still respect for upholding their language. You seldom find any hause child without the knowledge of their language. Thumbs up to you guys. I dey find who go teach me sef. My love for them dey grow everyday since nysc posted me to one of their states smiley

You mean those illiterates, beggars, maiguards, maishai people? You love for them will wane when you experience the first hand violence of their religious intolerance.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by enigma2007(m): 8:24am On Mar 02, 2017
I read and write my indigenous language. Will possibly learn more (Ibo & Hausa) in the future when i have the time..

P.S: I speak my language to my kids and encourage the people around me to speak the lingo to them as well... They will definitely learn English in sch..
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by eldav(m): 8:24am On Mar 02, 2017
Doesn't apply to the northerners. These guys value their Hausa language more than English. They prefer to communicate using Hausa to the point that if you don't understand their language you become the illiterate in their eyes, not the other way round.

Even some lecturers will rather use Hausa than English to teach. I feel so much pity for other tribes, especially Igbos cos I'm one, who feel speaking their dialect is a let down.

Come to the north and see clean and pretty northern girls who feel very proud to speak their language, then go to the east and see if you can, even by mistakes, see a good number of ladies conversing using Igbo,not even in their dreams.

Parents ought to teach their kids their dialect FIRST before any foreign language.
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by ifyalways(f): 8:24am On Mar 02, 2017
bentlywills:
Indigenous language is dead and buried in 9jaria

So sad!

Not in my home atleast.

My boys are fluent (speak, read and write) Igbo, Yoruba and twi.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by seunny4lif(m): 8:24am On Mar 02, 2017
Category1:
all these useless ajebo parents be spoiling their pikin with English....naija don spoil
Davido is ajebo but speak and understand Yoruba wella
Blame the poor people not the rich people

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by martineverest(m): 8:27am On Mar 02, 2017
DirewolfofStark:

You mean those illiterates, beggars, maiguards, maishai people? You love for them will wane when you experience the first hand violence of their religious intolerance.
u are just too childish for this comment...grow up
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by seunny4lif(m): 8:28am On Mar 02, 2017
Benjom:
Can't really blame the decision to embrace English language above others. It's a universal language... and so should be given that primary position. Even you, OP will prefer your child to say "Come here" rather than "Bia-neba" or "Zo mana koi".
Funny
All Germans speak as English language but will never speak with you same goes with Arab people..
I.T is in English but Japanese will tell you to speak Japanese to them if you need help
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by loveanonymity(f): 8:29am On Mar 02, 2017
My brother it is paining me, you spoke my mind. I don't understand why you will pay money for your children to learn English Language in school and your Language that they can learn for free which is a bonus and make them understand English Language more is now vernacular even in the house. I call my dad "baami", u need to see people's reactions when they first hear me call him that, but I usually stand my ground that baami is my dad in my Language and I am not ashame to call him that. My husband better not be a "modern" man because this lady will speak her Language to her children & I don't care about English Language is the universal Language.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by jtjohn(m): 8:30am On Mar 02, 2017
k
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Horlufemi(m): 8:31am On Mar 02, 2017
It's good jare , they should turn into tribal warlords
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Fernandowski(m): 8:31am On Mar 02, 2017
nowpresence:
Which papa be that?
their father
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Crowny11(f): 8:33am On Mar 02, 2017
mohciz69:
O

K

T H E N

why waste your sweet na haba
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Amarabae(f): 8:33am On Mar 02, 2017
I speak my Igbo language 55% of the time, even in my working place when I am with an easterner.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Nobody: 8:36am On Mar 02, 2017
You are clamouring for speaking of local language right, what if all Nigerians speak local language, how do we interact apart from English? Which language would be generally acceptable? Will the citizens agree to such language?

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by damseremie(m): 8:37am On Mar 02, 2017
This is a serious problem with our languages going extinct
We built an app for kids to help start in solving this problem
It's called Teseem- First Words and it's on Google Play(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.LizziesCreations.TeseemFirstWords) and the Appstore (https://itunes.apple.com/ng/app/teseem-first-words/id1182763748?mt=8)

It teaches basic words in English as well as Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba and Swahili with fun animation and a mini game

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by martineverest(m): 8:40am On Mar 02, 2017
bettercreature:
grin grin grin grin grin grin You are doom if you actually allow your children to speak native language between the age of 2-8
Their tongue will never be the same again! reason you normally see CNN translating Buharis english
ur low self esteem smells.....too childish

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by kjhova(m): 8:42am On Mar 02, 2017
LordIsaac:
In MY opinion, I think it's in order. I feel it's hypocrisy to do white wedding, eat white food, act civilised, use the white language to write exams from early kindergarten years till forever, keep our president with whites when ill, applaud Nigerians in diaspora, share testimonies in church on getting visa to climes inhabited by whites and then try to make light of the "White's language." We don't really have an identity....let's be content and grateful that we have a lingua franca that at the least, unites us!

Error! We are discussing languages here and not race. All this white this white that is a bit cringy!!
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by kjhova(m): 8:44am On Mar 02, 2017
asuustrike2009:
You are clamouring for speaking of local language right, what if all Nigerians speak local language, how do we interact apart from English? Which language would be generally acceptable? Will the citizens agree to such language?

They don't speak English in Switzerland and the country has about 4 to 6 official languages. I haven't heard that Swiss folks went broke because they couldn't communicate with each other.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by akigbemaru: 8:46am On Mar 02, 2017
Reasons!
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by victor247: 8:46am On Mar 02, 2017
pxjosh:
If it was written in one language how do you expect those of other languages to understand.?

This proves the need to embrace English as a universal language in order to remain relevant.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by CellTabRepairs: 8:48am On Mar 02, 2017
It is a sad development more prevalent among Igbos than other tribes.

**Click My Name & View That Resource You Need!**
Don't wait in perpetuity for job invitations after applying! March is here already today! The thief you harbour is PROCRASTINATION! Therefore don't wait until the whole year runs out!

Great dreamers don't stay idle at home. They take steps!
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by bentlywills(m): 8:49am On Mar 02, 2017
ifyalways:

Not in my home atleast.

My boys are fluent (speak, read and write) Igbo, Yoruba and twi.

Good for you ma'am '

Keep up the good work

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Palace Raises Alarm Over Plan To Install Hausa Traditional Ruler In Benin / The Story About River Owan In Uhonmora, Edo State / Masquerade Seen Dancing Zanku And Gbe Body(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.