Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,445 members, 7,816,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:50 PM

5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language (22253 Views)

Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / Reasons Nigerian Men Are Scared Of 'calabar Women' - Brainnewsng / 3 Reasons Nigerian Men Are Scared Of Calabar Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by mohciz69(m): 8:23am On Mar 03, 2017
Crowny11:

why waste your sweet na
haba

Shebi its my sweet
Abi you want lick my sweet
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Crowny11(f): 9:58am On Mar 03, 2017
mohciz69:

Shebi its my sweet Abi you want lick my sweet

Nope not interested

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by mohciz69(m): 10:04am On Mar 03, 2017
Crowny11:

Nope
not interested

Lol
Give it a try
Its not that bad you know
A trial will convince you
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Crowny11(f): 1:24pm On Mar 03, 2017
mohciz69:

Lol Give it a try Its not that bad you know A trial will convince you

no way dude
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 4:01pm On Mar 03, 2017
devvland:

Word. So on point. Step out in any community in Imo, Abia, ANAMBRA (mark the emphasis) EBONYI, Enugu...and all you'll hear is IGBO. I keep wondering where the idea of extinction is coming from when a school child from these states cant manage a sentence in English.

And please check the posts on social media. If English is as they claim, how come you have to wear body amour to read what they write.

It's different for children born in multi-cultural cities, though. And mind you, pidgin is the culprit there, not English. Kids pick it up in the streets, but since parents wouldnt want that to damage their children's knowledge of English, they insist on good old British.

Young parents now speak English to their children , and not igbo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 4:03pm On Mar 03, 2017
NarnieSnyper:

That's why I don't Mingle with my cousins or uncles because they'll definitely start teasing me or when we go for occassions, they'd be like "who's this one forming for us with Asusu beke" and I'll feel so embarrassed. Seriously I feel sorry for the fact it[igbo] will soon be extinct.

By the way, u sef be "my mama say I be igbo"?

Instead of feeling sorry, learn it , so you will teach your children
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Organs(m): 10:18pm On Mar 03, 2017
loveanonymity:
My brother it is paining me, you spoke my mind. I don't understand why you will pay money for your children to learn English Language in school and your Language that they can learn for free which is a bonus and make them understand English Language more is now vernacular even in the house. I call my dad "baami", u need to see people's reactions when they first hear me call him that, but I usually stand my ground that baami is my dad in my Language and I am not ashame to call him that. My husband better not be a "modern" man because this lady will speak her Language to her children & I don't care about English Language is the universal Language.

Loveanonymity: Omo, i see say we got a lot in common. watch out oh, cos i dey contagious oh... You've been warned. I call my dad "Baba" and my mom "Momo" May God almighty bless them and accept them into Paradise, ameen, and some folks kinda find that as odd. I also eat naija "swallow" i.e Eba, Amala, p.yam all with my washed bare hands even at high-end restaurants and i get the "look" from some people but i don't really care for i just don't know how to eat "swallow" with fork and knife, i'm sorry i just don't know how to. I have distant cousins that grew up in police and army barracks and their parents speak pidgin english to them. This started from the need to converse in a language understandable in a communal living arrangement like a police barrack, then it went on and on and it became too late to change when they realized the mistake. That is why i give it to the Asians. If you enter "Air-India from london to NYC, two english speaking countries, even if 90 % of the passengers speak only english, all communication/information/announcements are in "urdu" with little translation into english.
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by mohciz69(m): 10:31pm On Mar 03, 2017
Crowny11:

no way dude
Lol
Ok
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by loveanonymity(f): 12:38am On Mar 04, 2017
Organs:

I also eat naija "swallow" i.e Eba, Amala, p.yam all with my washed bare hands even at high-end restaurants and i get the "look" from some people but i don't really care for i just don't know how to eat "swallow" with fork and knife, i'm sorry i just don't know how to.
Amin. Lol. Made me remember using my hand in one formal gathering to eat swallow, only to look back and see many people doing the same, they were initially embarrased I guess, but when they saw me not caring they left the embarrasment somewhere else.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Crowny11(f): 2:54pm On Mar 04, 2017
mohciz69:
Lol Ok

you are not good at marketing
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by mohciz69(m): 4:51pm On Mar 05, 2017
Crowny11:

you are not good at marketing

Lol
Maybe my product is so good that I don't need marketing
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Crowny11(f): 5:20pm On Mar 05, 2017
mohciz69:

Lol Maybe my product is so good that I don't need marketing
you dis person, overconfidence no go killed uuuuuu I warned u kikikikkikiki
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by mohciz69(m): 8:04pm On Mar 05, 2017
Crowny11:

you dis person, overconfidence no go killed uuuuuu
I warned u
kikikikkikiki

Lol
Naso nah
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by NarnieSnyper(m): 8:37pm On Mar 05, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Instead of feeling sorry, learn it , so you will teach your children

No doubt but it's a little too late for that but won't let my kids face same as I did while growing up
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:24pm On Mar 05, 2017
NarnieSnyper:

No doubt but it's a little too late for that but won't let my kids face same as I did while growing up

How do you intend to achieve that?
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by NarnieSnyper(m): 10:34pm On Mar 05, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

How do you intend to achieve that?

Marry a woman that's fluent in the language, take my kIds to their grand parents place to spend holidays, forbid English language when they want to communicate with either parent, Africa magic igbo will be the only TV station.....maybe after Disney channel and purchase igbo literature books for them as well.. ......and so on
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by NarnieSnyper(m): 10:40pm On Mar 05, 2017
Audrinakane:

Not just vanilla but they will also be dipping in honey. Am already blushing smiley grin

Just the way u love it, hon. Promise me our kids won't be like their dad when it come to mastering their mother tongue. Promise me smiley kiss
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Audrinakane(f): 1:10am On Mar 06, 2017
NarnieSnyper:

Just the way u love it, hon. Promise me our kids won't be like their dad when it come to mastering their mother tongue. Promise me smiley kiss

I promise you that their mother tongue will be the first language they will learn and they will master it so well. I will even teach you my husband grin
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 8:45pm On Mar 09, 2017
NarnieSnyper:

Marry a woman that's fluent in the language, take my kIds to their grand parents place to spend holidays, forbid English language when they want to communicate with either parent, Africa magic igbo will be the only TV station.....maybe after Disney channel and purchase igbo literature books for them as well.. ......and so on

Lols.
What if u fall in love with a woman who isn't from your tribe?
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by NarnieSnyper(m): 8:30am On Mar 10, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Lols.
What if u fall in love with a woman who isn't from your tribe?

#scratches head# whao, i didnt think of that

Anyways, i stick to the plan

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by jessyb: 6:13pm On Mar 10, 2017
if you are resident in Lagos and are willing to make extra money with a real estate firm, whatsapp 07084910289 for more details
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Marvinisimi: 6:19am On Apr 02, 2017
Learn Yoruba Nairaland: Check out what CultureTree are doing to change this perception.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCjjzx5WteiyGu6_t3S09jHA

http://culturetree.co.uk
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by tck2000(m): 12:49pm On Aug 31, 2019
i'm proud that i can't speak my local language.
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by bigfrancis21: 7:19pm On Sep 02, 2019
orlahtohbadt:
Thats cos u didnt try to speak the two languages to him while growing up... The baby's brain can easily assimilate things in such a way that he can even learn a hundred languages at a time... I was born into a house like yours and I can speak 3 languages,Yoruba, Igbo and English... So its really no excuse

You're right. Way back in the 40s and 50s, children born to mixed parents grew up speaking both languages fluently because both parents spoke their languages to the children and the children learned English at school. Every child's first and earliest opportunity to learn/grab a language is at home and it is unfortunate that parents do not speak the native languages anymore to newer generations. The very number one reason for this failure is from the parents. Back then, children would alternate Christmas visits between both parents' hometown as a way of assimilating into both cultures. Yoruba-Igbo mixed children would spend some Christmas visits in the east and west. For example, Davido's father and all his siblings are half-igbo and half-yoruba and they grew up speaking both languages fluently. Funmi Adams, singer of Nigeria my beloved country, was another Yoruba-Igbo mix who spoke both languages fluently. The craze for English language hadn't eaten deep into the psyche of our people back then.

To cap it all, it all begins with the parents. Today, I met a white-asian couple with kids who speak both mandarin and English languages fluently. Like someone said earlier, it all begins at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ie_GQwvcPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VeYjR3iV6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihkj0P_T3ig

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by orlahtohbadt(m): 9:00pm On Sep 02, 2019
bigfrancis21:

You're right. Way back in the 40s and 50s, children born to mixed parents grew up speaking both languages fluently because both parents spoke their languages to the children and the children learned English at school. Every child's first and earliest opportunity to learn/grab a language is at home and it is unfortunate that parents do not speak the native languages anymore to newer generations. The very number one reason for this failure is from the parents. Back then, children would alternate Christmas visits between both parents' hometown as a way of assimilating into both cultures. Yoruba-Igbo mixed children would spend some Christmas visits in the east and west. For example, Davido's father and all his siblings are half-igbo and half-yoruba and they grew up speaking both languages fluently. Funmi Adams, singer of Nigeria my beloved country, was another Yoruba-Igbo mix who spoke both languages fluently. The craze for English language hadn't eaten deep into the psyche of our people back then.

To cap it all, it all begins with the parents. Today, I met a white-asian couple with kids who speak both mandarin and English languages fluently. Like someone said earlier, it all begins at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ie_GQwvcPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VeYjR3iV6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihkj0P_T3ig
Funmi Adams added Hausa language to her list of spoken languages sef. My maternal Grandma who was Igbo spoke the 3 main Nigerian languages fluently, you'd think she's one when she speaks a particular language.
Re: 5 Reasons Nigerian Children Are Not Speaking Their Native Language by Nobody: 3:47pm On Sep 03, 2019
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Young parents now speak English to their children , and not igbo
That is true except for few ones however don't forget the environment contribute as well

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Palace Raises Alarm Over Plan To Install Hausa Traditional Ruler In Benin / The Story About River Owan In Uhonmora, Edo State / Masquerade Seen Dancing Zanku And Gbe Body(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.