Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,873 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists (15478 Views)

Dollar Sells For N445 As Forex Scarcity Persists / Dollar Scarcity Stops Capital Repatriation By Investors / Naira Falls As Dollar Scarcity Worsens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by dre11(m): 10:14am On Mar 02, 2017
Despite recent measures by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to ameliorate the difficulty in sourcing for dollars, the scarcity still persists.

By Abdullateef Aliyu, Lagos

Despite recent measures by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to ameliorate the difficulty in sourcing for dollars, the scarcity still persists.

Checks by Daily Trust revealed that a week after CBN directed commercial banks to open foreign exchange outlets at major airports to sell dollars and other foreign currencies to travelers, no bank has complied with the directive.

Findings by our correspondent who visited the Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA) yesterday indicated that none of such outlets exists.

Instead the scarcity persists as intending passengers are still unable to get dollars at the point of travelling.

All the Bureau De Change outlets visited by our correspondent at the international wing of the airport claimed they had run out of stock as of the time of filing this report.

Though naira has appreciated by about 12 per cent following the CBN’s measures, exchanging as at yesterday at N425 at the parallel market, the naira’s gain may be reserved because of scarcity.

For instance none of the BDC outlets like Sulah, Ibrao, NIPOST Lane, Clean Exchange, among others at the international airports had dollars to sell.

One of them, Kings Bureau De Change was ready to sell the forex at N470/$1.

Also, our correspondent checked at a commercial bank at the airport but the officials said there was no dollar, saying they had run out of stocks.

Findings at some of the roadside forex dealers within the airport showed that the US dollars exchanged for between N462- N470.

A BDC operator inside the departure hall of MMIA said, “If you look around, none of the outlets has dollars as I am talking to you. I only have pounds and Euros if you want”.

A passenger, Francis who was travelling to Dubai on Emirates yesterday said he had been sourcing for forex for the past one month preparatory to the trip.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/business/travellers-can-t-get-forex-as-dollar-scarcity-persists/187460.html

1 Like

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by ojun50(m): 10:48am On Mar 02, 2017
Nd nigerians are happy last week so it is a different story dis week, let cbn keep fooling there self

8 Likes

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by Adesiji77: 11:01am On Mar 02, 2017
This is more like "let me come and be going" angry

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by NameChecker: 12:13pm On Mar 02, 2017
ok
Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by Nobody: 12:13pm On Mar 02, 2017
GEJ should return his share of our stolen yams. It'll go a long way in boosting our external reserves lipsrsealed

12 Likes

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by obembet(f): 12:14pm On Mar 02, 2017
I knw some wicked people will this diff for people.

Selfish and wicked citizens
Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by doctokwus: 12:16pm On Mar 02, 2017
So who do we now blame,Osinbajo?
I know all of those PMB sycophants,online and in Asorock wud want to distance themselves from d current scarcity now,after initially claiming credit for d appreciation which they said was due to d combined presidential effort of an absentee pmb and an exuberant osinbajo.
Bunch of clowns!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by dman4mdmoon(m): 12:16pm On Mar 02, 2017
Nigerians! They will definitely look for one bad story to discredit every good move made by the government.

4 Likes

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by techycontents(m): 12:16pm On Mar 02, 2017
Hmm. . Nigeria
Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by WildChild00(m): 12:17pm On Mar 02, 2017
What happened to millions of fx, pumped into circulation last week by the central bank? shocked

2 Likes

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by Horlawale1(m): 12:17pm On Mar 02, 2017
We are the cause of our own problem

2 Likes

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by Nobody: 12:17pm On Mar 02, 2017
doctokwus:
So who do we now blame,Osinbajo?
I know none of those PMB sycophants wud want to say anything now,after initially claiming d appreciation was due to d combined presidency of pmb/osinbajo.
Bunch of clowns!
tell your otuoke drunk to return our yams.

7 Likes

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by teebaxy(m): 12:17pm On Mar 02, 2017
Me don't understand Economics, I have only come to read and learn from experts
Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by tinsel: 12:18pm On Mar 02, 2017
Enemies of this country are doing everything possible to see to that naira continues to depreciate instead of appreciating.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by davdjayj: 12:18pm On Mar 02, 2017
The real black-market still sells between 460-470.
I think this 425 they mentioning remains on paper only.

3 Likes

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by emi14: 12:19pm On Mar 02, 2017
One thing to issue out instructions another thing is to enforce it
Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by martineverest(m): 12:19pm On Mar 02, 2017
liars......they just want to discredit current effort
Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by abhosts(m): 12:19pm On Mar 02, 2017
Emelife Clown Really needs to Go.
Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by Aikayy: 12:19pm On Mar 02, 2017
Strengthening naira is just a mirage..... This shiit republic is still in recession.

3 Likes

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by dimeji1(m): 12:20pm On Mar 02, 2017
Sponsored Fake news by abokis. Most of the banks are selling. Travellers only have to go the Bank's head office Branch or designated branches to pick up the FX. Fcmb sells at their head office in Lagos.

11 Likes

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by pannyman(m): 12:20pm On Mar 02, 2017
I keep telling my friends that the recent appreciation of the naira is superficial and temporary because it is artificially induced by the CBN.

3 Likes

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by magoo10(m): 12:20pm On Mar 02, 2017
some people will come and blame Jonathan for this.

2 Likes

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by doctokwus: 12:21pm On Mar 02, 2017
xstry:
U must be an mpi to link me in whatever fashion to that accursed fisherman.Infact u must be M AD.
Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by Tokziby: 12:22pm On Mar 02, 2017
How i wish people knew the politics that goes on in the banking industry. The Govt needs to interfere in the affairs of the banks in Nigeria, they are also a major contributor to the recession because they control the cash flow in the economy. Whether they release it or not, the banks are unhappy with the drop in price of dollars because many of the top men (cabal) in the industry have invested millions of dollars in BDC. Hence they are trying by all means to frustrate the move in order to reduce their losses. We are sitting on a Loooog thing in this country, these greedy cabals are the ones holding the county to ransom.

8 Likes

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by Badgers14: 12:22pm On Mar 02, 2017
Dollar scarcity is all politics... For some people dollar trading is there oil well. They buy up dollars from CBN and hoard it.. Then economics kicks in... SCARCITY. Then they start selling at a higher rate.

Does anyone recall how many million of dollars was recovered from the NNPC guy... $10m in cash... We only knew about it because he got caught.. What of others unknown to us

No matter how much CBN pumps into the market... The dollar thiefs will still find their way to it and hoard it.. This was barely 48hrs CBN pumped hundreds of millions in dollars out into the market.. It is scarce again..

What a shame

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by miqos02(m): 12:23pm On Mar 02, 2017
true
Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by Nobody: 12:23pm On Mar 02, 2017
doctokwus:

U must be an mpi to link me in whatever fashion to that accursed fisherman.Infact u must be M AD.
kid
Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by MrMcJay(m): 12:24pm On Mar 02, 2017
pannyman:
I keep telling my friends that the recent appreciation of the naira is superficial and temporary because it is artificially induced by the CBN.

The appreciation was artificially induced because the depreciation was artificially induced also. Don't you know that market sentiments play a big role in the Forex business?

Banks turned themselves into speculators and were seriously involved in round-tripping. Unfortunately, the CBN governor can't do anything cos he's also a sleazy banker.

Why should banks not have dollars to sell, but northerners have? It is because it it is more profitable to sell to abokis above the official price than to sell to those who need it at the official price.

Instead of Banks to sell to you at 305, they prefer to sell to Abokis at 350, while the Aboki sells to you at 455.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by poiZon: 12:25pm On Mar 02, 2017
xstry:

yabaleft patient on the loose.

I repeat yabaleft patient on the loose!

Over n out..........

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by coalcoal1(m): 12:26pm On Mar 02, 2017
this is sponsored fake news by the cabal

1 Like

Re: Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists by janvier27(m): 12:27pm On Mar 02, 2017
I know some CBN officials are very corrupt. CBN does not have the expertise and will to effectively monitor and regulate. Many of the fx pumped into the Market will still not be used for valid purposes. When CBN eventually loses steam, black Marketers will bounce back more viciously. I hope this will not be the case.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur / How To Export Agricultural Products To Europe? / CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.