Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,758 members, 7,840,954 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars (20395 Views)

FRSC Sets Deadline For Number Plates Violation, Drivers License / Customs Import Duty Has Been Increased / Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by Harwoyeez(m): 7:59am On Mar 03, 2017
back2sender:

Its a great move by the CG. You have a months grace to check with customs.
It has alot of security benefits to the Nation apart from Revenue
I maintain my stance, its a bad move because u won't believe what will happen soon after.....do u know how many cars have been in use for years? Do u know how overzealous the officers will be and the claim of fake papers they will allege? Think about it.... Where do u think people will get money to go for customs papers in this recession within a month? U must be joking bro

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by Nobody: 8:31am On Mar 03, 2017
This is meant for cars on the high seas or borders not the cars whose duty was paid some 5 years ago.
Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 8:33am On Mar 03, 2017
back2sender:

God bless you my bro, it shows the mindset of people in Nigeria how corrupt they are. How does smuggling helps the economy?
Tomorrow this set of people will be shouting the economy is not performing

Exactly my brother, Custom should start checking on vehicles on the roads from April 12th.
Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by SBG04: 10:12am On Mar 03, 2017
grandstar:

Let the assembly plants die.

Importation of tokunbo cars provide far more jobs and livelihood for people than the assembly plants.

Utomi said something very constructive. This is coming from a former high up in the car industry.

He said Nigeria should focus on what's its good at

If its only the leather you're good at and you supply 10% of the world demand for car production, you'll go places.

If its tyres and you supply 5% of world demand, the impact would be considerable.

You don't have to kill the thriving tokunbo car industry in order to enter into the car business.
This is a blatant lie. What kind of jobs? Smugglers? People who specialize in forging customs papers for smuggled vehicles? Are those the kinds of jobs you're talking about. You prefer a government that encourages and provides jobs as car dealers, smugglers and forgers rather than one that provides thousands of jobs through Car assembly plant engineers, technicians and salesmen. That's apart from the massive boost these car assembly plants will provide to the service sector as banks will come up with car ownership schemes. Also we won't have to spend hard earned forex importing parts for "tokunbo" vehicles. The benefits are tremendous! Only economic saboteurs like yourself, who want to continue reaping at the expense of the majority, will find any fault with this policy.
Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by saintjoel(m): 10:51am On Mar 03, 2017
greggng:
If ur car was registered 5years ago this policy no concern u.

Point of correction, it's after seven years with proof of purchase.
Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by saintjoel(m): 11:04am On Mar 03, 2017
ISTANDWITHBUHAR:

Exactly my brother, Custom should start checking on vehicles on the roads from April 12th.

And they're now mandated to seize undervalued or smuggled vehicles anywhere,anyytime as anyhow. They can go into streets,car stands etc cos they've discovered that there's massive corruption even in the ports especially when it comes to short payment and false declarations. If you've a vehicle that has spent seven years or more on Nigerian soil, you're free if you've absolute proof of purchase.

https://www.nairaland.com/2208157/verify-custom-duty-papers-rectify/6
Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by chuxiano: 11:12am On Mar 03, 2017
Ogurube:
This gives the Nigerian Police, Customs, and all Tom-Dick-Harry uniformed men a blank cheque to harass and obtain from people with newer cars. For goodness sake, why is Nigeria so backward? There are modern and efficient ways of enforcing automobile laws without resorting to dark-age stop-and-check routines that causes traffic and endangers lives. By now, Nigeria should have a computerized registry, for vehicle identification, that's run by govt vehicle licensing offices and shared by all law-enforcement agencies, so that they can quickly prevent registration renewals and effect penalties/impounds for defaulters, respectively, until all red flags are cleared. But I guess that begs the question: "DO WE HAVE A RELIABLE POWER SUPPLY TO POWER THE COMPUTERIZED SYSTEM?"

You are absolutely right. The truth is that there are civil ways of enforcing the payment and verification of custom duties instead on stopping people on the highways, intimidating and possibly extorting money from people. They can even create a website were we can all verify our customs documents just like that of vehicle plate numbers. This is completely ridiculous.
Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by sultaan(m): 11:12am On Mar 03, 2017
SBG04:

This is a blatant lie. What kind of jobs? Smugglers? People who specialize in forging customs papers for smuggled vehicles? Are those the kinds of jobs you're talking about. You prefer a government that encourages and provides jobs as car dealers, smugglers and forgers rather than one that provides thousands of jobs through Car assembly plant engineers, technicians and salesmen. That's apart from the massive boost these car assembly plants will provide to the service sector as banks will come up with car ownership schemes. Also we won't have to spend hard earned forex importing parts for "tokunbo" vehicles. The benefits are tremendous! Only economic saboteurs like yourself, who want to continue reaping at the expense of the majority, will find any fault with this policy.

It is ideas like this that made Africans bottom of the human ladder,destroy what you have for the non existing, these imaginary engineers, and technicians you are talking about can't fix problem with electricity and the refineries in Nigeria.

Fix the problem you have and stop chasing dreams
Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by greggng: 11:19am On Mar 03, 2017
saintjoel:

Point of correction, it's after seven years with proof of purchase.

My nebor is a high ranged custom officer he intervened when my brothers car was siezed by customs at badagry. He reminded them that they ve no right to seize cars that ve stated 5 years and they sharply released it. Well 5 years is near 7yrs
Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by Fhowe: 11:21am On Mar 03, 2017
This man just wants to put himself on the spot hope he has started wearing the custom uniform before passing this orders
Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by saintjoel(m): 11:24am On Mar 03, 2017
greggng:

My nebor is a high ranged custom officer he intervened when my brothers car was siezed by customs at badagry. He reminded them that they ve no right to seize cars that ve stated 5 years and they sharply released it. Well 5 years is near 7yrs

OGA, I'm telling you with absolute confidence that they only released the car out of respect to his rank. Seven years is the mandatory limit for custom duty.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 11:30am On Mar 03, 2017
saintjoel:

And they're now mandated to seize undervalued or smuggled vehicles anywhere,anyytime as anyhow. They can go into streets,car stands etc cos they've discovered that there's massive corruption even in the ports especially when it comes to short payment and false declarations. If you've a vehicle that has spent seven years or more on Nigerian soil, you're free if you've absolute proof of purchase.

https://www.nairaland.com/2208157/verify-custom-duty-papers-rectify/6

Undervalued will be given chance to pay complete duty and the smuggled vehicles can also be given period to make payment..

Even if you have been using your vehicle for 20yrs you are still using it illegally and the arm of Govt can caught up with you anytime..
Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by greggng: 11:31am On Mar 03, 2017
saintjoel:

OGA, I'm telling you with absolute confidence that they only released the car out of respect to his rank. Seven years is the mandatory limit for custom duty.

By 2018 my car will be 7 years. Let me go and hide it till one more year. Will they do house to house? Lol
Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by alaskido(m): 11:44am On Mar 03, 2017
Let me educate you all. If your can was imported in 2010, you do not need to worry because customs law states that any import above 7 years will not be queried by the Post Clearance Audit section of the Nigerian customs. Most people do not know this and the officers take advantage of this to extort money on the road.

When travelling from Lagos to PHC you will pass over 20 customs check points before reaching PHC.
Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by back2sender: 12:56pm On Mar 03, 2017
ISTANDWITHBUHAR:

IT will even help to reduce traffic in Lagos. Can you imagine a family with 4 cars on the road on daily basis and alot of them in lekki axis with questionable source of wealth.
They should leave commercial buses alone as long as this buses are registered to transport unions if not they should impound them also.
No time for nonsense any longer in Nigeria, Nigeria must move forward and sacrifice has to be made

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by back2sender: 12:58pm On Mar 03, 2017
greggng:

By 2018 my car will be 7 years. Let me go and hide it till one more year. Will they do house to house? Lol
We will come to your house and arrest your car and not you lol

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 1:13pm On Mar 03, 2017
back2sender:

IT will even help to reduce traffic in Lagos. Can you imagine a family with 4 cars on the road on daily basis and alot of them in lekki axis with questionable source of wealth.
They should leave commercial buses alone as long as this buses are registered to transport unions if not they should impound them also.
No time for nonsense any longer in Nigeria, Nigeria must move forward and sacrifice has to be made

Exactly my brother, The lawless need to stop as we can't continue this way. I just wonder how some people will compose them self when they travel to other countries but be lawless when they are in Nigeria..

I have been to few countries and i see how Nigerians there obey the laws..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars by FREDUSTER: 3:47pm On Mar 03, 2017
Customs should meet up with technology

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit / How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine / What Three Things Does An Engine Need To Run?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.