Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,862 members, 7,824,590 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? (19374 Views)

Are These The Worst Paint Jobs Ever Done On Cars? / The 10 Wonders Nigerian Khaz Custom Did On Cars With Wraps (pictures) / Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Readonee35L(m): 8:28pm On Jul 10, 2017
This country is so disorganized
Is there any real way to calculate custom duty on cars in this nigeria?, because i keep getting different quotes from different agents, I don't know if i'm Paying the actual duty , or i'm getting cheated on or even underpaying the duty.

2nd issue.
what's the real calculation of the duty is it 35% or what

The custom duty quotes is very high and crazy and i tell you it's even above the cost price and shipping of the car.
Example
a clean title 2015 camry starts from $10,000
found one for 10,891
car cost - $10,891
shipping - $1100
total arrival at Lagos port is $11,991 . 11991 x 367(dollar rate) = #4,400,697
Imagine me getting a custom duty quote of 3million naira.
Which is almost 85% value of purchase and shipping of the car
Does this even make any sense??

And this is for clean title.

the salvage of this 015 Camry with little dent on bumper or broken light is sold between $5500-8000
and can be brought in as low as 2.7million,
will i still pay 3 million duty on this car, .
Duty is already above the cost and shipping of the whole car.

I feel there should be different quotes for each cars, calculated by the cost of purchase and other charges of the car.... angry angry angry angry angry

Few auto enthusiasts and dealers i can mention.
Calculusx , femmy2010 , kingreign , gazzuzz, saintjoel, oliverjiad e.t.c

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by WaleGent(m): 8:35pm On Jul 10, 2017
following
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by psucc(m): 8:38pm On Jul 10, 2017
Nigerian Customs bill is like NEPA bill. They look at your face, if it has some fat and oil, dem go also want chop wet in give you the oily face.

Dem want to discourage imports so you can buy Naija. lollsssss.
This government don't tire Tinubu sef. You no hear him again.

8 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by smartty68(m): 8:40pm On Jul 10, 2017
Guy in simple truth, you're indirectly re-buying the car from them as dokunbo. Let them kukuma place the car on a weighing scale gan sad

3 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sultaan(m): 9:04pm On Jul 10, 2017
My fellow users and Importers it been lo g overdue that we should basically stop importing for the next one year, if we decide to boycott our ports because of the corrupt practices of government officials and hostile policies things will change, but as long as you keep feeding the monster it only gets stronger and bigger

10 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 9:38pm On Jul 10, 2017
Readonee35L:
Is there any real way to calculate custom duty on cars in this nigeria?, because i keep getting different quotes from different agents, I don't know if i'm Paying the actual duty , or i'm getting cheated on or even underpaying the duty.

2nd issue.

The custom duty quotes is very high and crazy and i tell you it's even above the cost price and shipping of the car.
Example
found one for 10,891
car cost - $10,891
shipping - $1100

the salvage of this 015 Camry with little dent on bumper or broken light is sold between $5500-8000

I feel there should be different quotes for each cars, calculated by the cost of purchase and other charges of the car.... angry angry angry angry angry

IF YOU ASK ME, NA WHO I GO ASK.

i've been operating at tincan and borders for several years and the issue of duty is one that even our association has been unable to trash things out with customs.

Federal Ministry of Finance churns out the tariff and customs hand it over to us through the valuation unit . If you want me to be sincere with you, how they arrive at what we call the dollar value is even unknown to us as agents.

The day Dikko made GEJ's government know that there was free money to be made through import duty at the ports and borders was the day that they started increasing duty anyhow and it's so unfortunate that this present government is still using the same template.

If you can afford to pay it, ship it. Buy from Nigerian dealers if you can't.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by NLOwner(m): 9:42pm On Jul 10, 2017
I don position wella...

This thread go sweet!

For every car you bring into the country, just remove the shipping charges and pay customs the balance so that they can import their own too..

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by calculusx(m): 10:10pm On Jul 10, 2017
Readonee35L:

This is the pain we go through year in year out. Some NLers are so quick to abuse and call us Names for inflating Car Prices. Just assume you want to resell this Car and make profit, who will buy it for N7m?

This is the more reason why it's hard to see Clean Title of any latest Car wt legitimate full custom duty paid on it

I drive a salvage 2012 Camry that cost less than $5000 to Lagos, it cost me N1.5m to Clear it. Cost of clearing is more than cost of Purchase. So, if you ask me, na who i go ask??

@OP, Pls take heart, that is what we go through. Change we seek, Chain we see, let's enjoyed it while it last. PDP isn't any better

8 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Damolux01(m): 10:15pm On Jul 10, 2017
Only when our people understand that we have problems in this country...things will get better. For me, we Nigerians are cool with any thing that comes our way. with this notion...it will only get worse.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by oliverjiad(m): 11:58pm On Jul 10, 2017
Readonee35L:

2nd issue.

Example
found one for 10,891
car cost - $10,891
shipping - $1100

boss nice write up,in fact we need importer/ shipper platform to fight along with agent against this because we can't do it alone u guys pay the money while agent suffer the whole problemand customs go home and enjoy the money

Boss my advice is if ure not sure of the quote u getting either here or out here please kindly inform ur agent to take u to the customs valuation unit and get the real duty to avoid embarrassment so as to be rest assured

These all I can say for the now

Jaid

2 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Readonee35L(m): 12:01am On Jul 11, 2017
saintjoel:

IF YOU ASK ME, NA WHO I GO ASK.

i've been operating at tincan and port for several years and the issue of duty is one that even our association has been unable to trash things out with customs.

Federal Ministry of Finance churns out the tariff and customs hand it over to us through the valuation unit . If you want me to be sincere with you, how they arrive at what we call the dollar value is even unknown to us as agents.

The day Dikko made GEJ's government know that there was free money to be made through import duty at the ports and borders was the day that they started increasing duty anyhow and it's so unfortunate that this present government is still using the same template.

If you can afford to pay it, ship it. Buy from Nigerian dealers if you can't.
Damn.
I weep for this country.
Everything is corrupt.
So you mean the duty being paid are just random numbers thrown by the government
Is there no actual quote by the government?
A friend still plans to pay about 2.5m duty for a 2013 Avalon coming soon.
A car that wont exceed 12k USD = 4.4million .
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Readonee35L(m): 12:05am On Jul 11, 2017
calculusx:

This is the pain we go through year in year out. Some NLers are so quick to abuse and call us Names for inflating Car Prices. Just assume you want to resell this Car and make profit, who will buy it for N7m?

This is the more reason why it's hard to see Clean Title of any latest Car wt legitimate full custom duty paid on it

I drive a salvage 2012 Camry that cost less than $5000 to Lagos, it cost me N1.5m to Clear it. Cost of clearing is more than cost of Purchase. So, if you ask me, na who i go ask??

@OP, Pls take heart, that is what we go through. Change we seek, Chain we see, let's enjoyed it while it last. PDP isn't any better
Damn .....
This is wicked .
Outrageous numbers are just thrown to the citizens.
If you ask an agent about the duty of 0'12.
You hear 1.2 , 1.4 max 1.5
How do they arrive at this numbers.
How is it calculated?
What's the actual duty for the 0'12
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Readonee35L(m): 12:11am On Jul 11, 2017
oliverjiad:
boss nice write up,in fact we need importer/ shipper platform to fight along with agent against this because we can't do it alone u guys pay the money while agent suffer the whole problemand customs go home and enjoy the money

Boss my advice is if ure not sure of the quote u getting either here or out here please kindly inform ur agent to take u to the customs valuation unit and get the real duty to avoid embarrassment so as to be rest assured

These all I can say for the now

Jaid

Thank you for your swift response my Jaid.
Infact the whole setup of this duty is confusing.
If I may ask .
How do you agents arrive at your quotes .
Do you give random figures? Because you find different quote from diff agents angry

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Damolux01(m): 12:26am On Jul 11, 2017
Readonee35L:

If I may ask .
Do you give random figures? Because you find different quote from diff agents angry
Seconded...different quotes anyhow...Sometimes, i even feel agents add theirs in excess to make extra.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 5:59am On Jul 11, 2017
And the MODS would rather push all those irrelevant threads (e.g Do Men Also Get Used & Dump) to the front page instead of this very important thread.

What tha “puck” is my business if a man cannot use his brain when dealing with slay mommas, packaged oloshos or gold diggers? grin

16 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by synergybj: 8:58am On Jul 11, 2017
To calculate custom duty, your duty is calculated based on summing up surface duty (% of CIF), surcharge, administrative charge (CISS), ECOWAS Trade Liberalization Scheme (ETLS), and 5% VAT.

In your case, FOB + Freight and Insurance cost = CIF which is #4,400,000 in your case.

Surface duty @35% is 1,540,000
Surcharge @7% of surface is 107,800
ETLS @ 0.5% of CIF is 22,000
CISS @1% of FOB ($10,000) is 36,700
VAT @5% of all above is 85,325
Total duty payable is 1,791,825.

I hope this helps u.

Readonee35L:

2nd issue.

Example
found one for 10,891
car cost - $10,891
shipping - $1100

5 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sheffyUTD(m): 9:08am On Jul 11, 2017
Well, chairman so much questions on everybody's lips, too little answer.

first, you can never get same quote from agents because there's no fixed duty. What you have is range of values. Though there's a published Tariff to refer to, the quotation you get depends on what customs and your agent consider save minimum value to pay without giving headache to the end user.

Second, Nigeria Customs don't care how much you bought your vehicle . They use useless algorithm; called ex factory price. How can vehicle of 10yrs old be valued based factory price

Less fault with Customs, much blame on Ministry of finance and customs board.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 9:17am On Jul 11, 2017
synergybj:
To calculate custom duty, your duty is calculated based on summing up surface duty (% of CIF), surcharge, administrative charge (CISS), ECOWAS Trade Liberalization Scheme (ETLS), and 5% VAT.

In your case, FOB + Freight and Insurance cost = CIF which is #4,400,000 in your case.

I hope this helps u.

We agents already know this but how do you explain in n to a layman without confusing them?
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 9:29am On Jul 11, 2017
sheffyUTD:
Well, chairman so much questions on everybody's lips, too little answer.

first, you can never get same quote from agents because there's no fixed duty. What you have is range of values. Though there's a published Tariff to refer to, the quotation you get depends on what customs and your agent consider save minimum value to pay without giving headache to the end user.

Second, Nigeria Customs don't care how much you bought your vehicle . They use useless algorithm; called ex factory price. How can vehicle of 10yrs old be valued based factory price

Less fault with Customs, much blame on Ministry of finance and customs board.

Many people think it's actually the agent's or customs fault. We're all working according to a template drawn by the ministry of finance because they now believe that money generated from custom duties can be used to service the budget and other expenses,money that can never cease as long as there are ports and borders to get it from.

We can only blame customs for been greedy by collecting what we call their "table money". You want to pay N1.3m into bank for a car and customs will collect almost N650,000 or more for table money before you get the papers out.

Alhaji Shittu and other excos of ANLCA ,our parent body have been fighting it out with customs and the ministry of finance for years with no result, they've kept going to Abuja to plead for reductions in duty but it seems their plea keeps going into deaf ears. Dikko is a major culprit and I hope he lands in jail, he was the one that made politicians realise that there was money to be made from duties and when Alli resumed, he started seeing commands remiting billions to the government's pocket every month, he and adeosun decided to go on with the same template.

3 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by oliverjiad(m): 12:36pm On Jul 11, 2017
Readonee35L:

If I may ask .
sir all I can say his every importation have their own customs tariff,and every customs agent know how to go about compromise with customs all because we're trying to please client and a good service

To round it up an agent can charge for 1.5m for a Camry 012 while another would charge for #1.3m,all depends on agent rappour with the customs officer and customs command also matters,to be honest when it comes to giving out quote to u importers no steady and permanent quote,because even if u pay full duty customs would still request for endorsement fee

So the systems are corrupt

Jaid
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by sheffyUTD(m): 1:08pm On Jul 11, 2017
saintjoel:

Many people think it's actually the agent's or customs fault. We're all working according to a template drawn by the ministry of finance because they now believe that money generated from custom duties can be used to service the budget and other expenses,money that can never cease as long as there are ports and borders to get it from.

We can only blame customs for been greedy by collecting what we call their "table money". You want to pay N1.3m into bank for a car and customs will collect almost N650,000 or more for table money before you get the papers out.

Alhaji Shittu and other excos of ANLCA ,our parent body have been fighting it out with customs and the ministry of finance for years with no result, they've kept going to Abuja to plead for reductions in duty but it seems their plea keeps going into deaf ears. Dikko is a major culprit and I hope he lands in jail, he was the one that made politicians realise that there was money to be made from duties and when Alli resumed, he started seeing commands remiting billions to the government's pocket every month, he and adeosun decided to go on with the same template.

I recognize their efforts, but truth sir is that, ANLCA alone can not win the battle.
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by dokiOloye(m): 1:13pm On Jul 11, 2017
The issue of payment of different amounts on d same car is d what I would've wanted this Alli man to sort out first not useless policies like harrasing car owners for duty evasion and underpayment carried out by some unscrupulous agents in collaboration with the same customs officials.
For a start,he could liberalise d payment procedures,publish d prices online so that importers themselves can have access to what it takes and possibly do some of the processes themselves instead of going thru agents,just like drivers' licence etc are done.
I guess we're still in for a long night in this country.

2 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jul 11, 2017
dokiOloye:
The issue
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by dokiOloye(m): 1:23pm On Jul 11, 2017
[quote author=SmartChoices post=58345625][/quote]This man,how can I help U?
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 1:39pm On Jul 11, 2017
sheffyUTD:

I recognize their efforts, but truth sir is that, ANLCA alone can not win the battle.

We all know that ANLCA can't do all the work alone when an average Nigerian doesn't even complain about policies by government and their agencies. They knew what they were doing all along when they systematically increased duties and also stopped vehicle importation across the border . The association fought against all of these policies but an average Nigerian didn't bother to raise his/her voice.

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Readonee35L(m): 1:51pm On Jul 11, 2017
synergybj:

I hope this helps u.

This post of yours is very helpful.
Thank you.
With that formula above.
The duty on any car can be calculated.
So here is the thing.
If I decide to pay 1,791,825 duty on the car, as against the 2.8-3.2m quoted by agents, Am I free from the fúck customs on the road ?
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Readonee35L(m): 1:53pm On Jul 11, 2017
saintjoel:

We agents already know this but how do you explain in n to a layman without confusing them?
Mr Joel.
You're not confusing anybody.
You have to explain to your client. If they don't understand its their wish.
Just the way synergybj explained with the duty formula which is the standard for the duty.
If I decide to pay 1,791,825 duty on the car, as against the 2.8-3.2m quoted by agents, Am I free from the fúck customs on the road ?

2 Likes

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Readonee35L(m): 1:58pm On Jul 11, 2017
dokiOloye:
The issue of payment of different amounts on d same car is d what I would've wanted this Alli man to sort out first not useless policies like harrasing car owners for duty evasion and underpayment carried out by some unscrupulous agents in collaboration with the same customs officials.
For a start,he could liberalise d payment procedures,publish d prices online so that importers themselves can have access to what it takes and possibly do some of the processes themselves instead of going thru agents,just like drivers' licence etc are done.
God bless you my bro.
This are issues that are meant to be treated, citizens are loosing billions to this people everyday all in the name of duty payment. A country with no standard , where everything goes .
We still have a long way to go. And its a fight for everyone including the citizens because if we don't voice out, they will continue bringing different scams to take from the poor.

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Readonee35L(m): 2:01pm On Jul 11, 2017
oliverjiad:
sir all I can say his every importation have their own customs tariff,and every customs agent know how to go about compromise with customs all because we're trying to please client and a good service

To round it up an agent can charge for 1.5m for a Camry 012 while another would charge for #1.3m,all depends on agent rappour with the customs officer and customs command also matters,to be honest when it comes to giving out quote to u importers no steady and permanent quote,because even if u pay full duty customs would still request for endorsement fee

So the systems are corrupt

Jaid
Understood.
Bribery and Corruption is the order of the day
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by Readonee35L(m): 2:04pm On Jul 11, 2017
sultaan:
My fellow users and Importers it been lo g overdue that we should basically stop importing for the next one year, if we decide to boycott our ports because of the corrupt practices of government officials and hostile policies things will change, but as long as you keep feeding the monster it only gets stronger and bigger
This is not as easy as it seems.
Some Nigerians are just immune to suffering, will I call it too much money??
No matter how worse it gets they will still get comfortable and continue moving, a month of noise and wailing, then everything goes back to normal, the government knows this, So they continue creating means to exploit the citizens
Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 2:21pm On Jul 11, 2017
Readonee35L:

Mr Joel.
You're not confusing anybody.
You have to explain to your client. If they don't understand its their wish.
Just the way synergybj explained with the duty formula which is the standard for the duty.

How will you now explain to customs that it was this calculation that you used. Technically he was right with his calculations buy it's still based on whatever value the valuation gives you. The normal way it should've been is that the importer declares the rate the car was bought and customs issues the appropriate duty to be paid but Nigerian Customs don't operate that way. There's an assumed dollar value for a particular year of manufacture which is sent from the ministry of finance to the valuations unit and it's what is issued out to the agent when he/she presents the application for value. The assumed rate that is now gotten from the valuation unit is converted to Naira (using a template we agents use for calculations) and it'll now be divided into CIF etc.

If you now pay N1.7m when the tariff states that you must pay N2.3m, you'll have to explain to customs how you got that value when it's not in the tariff.

****** LET'S ASSUME THAT I'VE A JOB AT THE PORT, WHAT I BASICALLY DO IS THIS. IF IT'S A 2014 HONDA ACCORD, I CHECK THE TARIFF TO SEE THE RATE IT'LL PAY AS 2014 AND I ALSO SEE HOW MUCH IT'LL PAY IF DECLARED AS 2012. THEN ALL I DO IS APPLY FOR A VALUE SLIGHTLY LOWER THAN WHAT 2012 PAYS AND SEND TO VALUATION,SOMETIMES THEY MIGHT BITETHE BAIT BUT THEY WRITE ANOTHER THAT MIGHT BE AROUND THE 2012 VALUE AND THAT'S WHAT WILL BE PAID TO BANK. I'VE MANAGED TO SAVE MONEY THAT THE IMPORTER WILL HAVE SPENT AS EXTRA AND I'M STILL ON A SAFE SIDE WITH CUSTOMS.

***** YOU CAN SEE SAMPLES OF THE TARIFF BELOW.

1 Like

Re: Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars?? by saintjoel(m): 2:30pm On Jul 11, 2017
dokiOloye:

There's no country that importers pay import duties without agents. The only issue we have is just because the entire system is corrupt and government has been using it as an avenue to exploit Nigerians for years but I learnt that our duty is still okay compared to some other countries. I've clients from Ghana and Cameroon that sometimes call us to process Nigerian duty and plate numbers for their vehicles and the drive with Ecowas driver's licenses,,people even come from Republic of Benin. Our systems is just filled with loopholes and even we as agents bear the brunt because people believe we're rolling in money just because we're agents.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How To Cool An Overheated Engine (Photos) / Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident / 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.