Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,421 members, 7,815,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Nigerian Employers Should Relax Their Criteria If They Want To Get It Right - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Employers Should Relax Their Criteria If They Want To Get It Right (362 Views)

If They Want To Kill Us, Let Them Kill Us”- Nigeria Students Protest / Is It Right To Start All Over Again From 100 Level After Wasting 5 Years? / JAMB Admission Criteria To All Newly Admitted Candidates – 2016/2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Employers Should Relax Their Criteria If They Want To Get It Right by Ademolu2002(m): 5:02pm On Mar 04, 2017
It has become a growing trend for Nigeria employers to restrict their criteria for job application eligibility to some categories of applicants making other people who don't fall in such categories unable to apply and seemingly irrelevant. None of these employing companies has taken its time to embark on research to ascertain that some of their claims are real and are not due to chance factors.
Some of their claims are as follows:
(1) A graduate with 1st class honour is more intelligent than the one with 2.1 while the latter is more intelligent than those with 2.2 , 3rd class and pass.
(2.) Younger graduates are more intelligent than the older ones
(3) Experience
I will take these areas one after the other and discuss them to the best of my ability.

(1) Grade
Employers fail to realize that final grade in school does not measure the holder's intelligence because this can depend largely on :

Course of study/Department
We all know that the complexity of courses of study varies from course to course and this can have significant effect on the grade of an individual. This is because the leniency or strictness of grading vary from lecturer to lecturer and consequently from department to department.
Imagine in a department where we have seven professors,.Before you can convince them enough for them to grade you with a 'C' grade, then you try. The research has been carried out, hypothesis tested using chi-square test and confirmed that there's a significant dependence between grade of an individual and his/her course of study. Employees will just come out and restrict their eligibility to at least 2.1. This can lead to type II error.

School
It has been found out that the senatorial strictness in terms of awarding degrees varies from school to school. Although every graduate will want to claim that his/her school is the strictest but the fact remains that it varies. This can be retested using Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) technique if there's any doubt.

Category of school
This is in three categories: Private, State and Federal schools. The grades of individual also vary among these categories. This can be attributed to the comparative leniency among these categories. And this is why a graduate with a higher grade from one school will perform below expectation in school when he/she goes for Masters or PGD.

(2) Age.
Nigeria employers always limit the ages of applicants to 26 or 27 years old which i still don't understand why it is so. Does it mean that older people cannot work or what? Or have they carried out any research and found out that the older graduates cannot work? Imagine somebody in his/her 30s that is still battling with 1st degree. How do they expect such fellow to apply for a job where his/her age has been cut out? May God help us.

Experience
Some of them will be requiring for 10 years job experience. I don't know where they want a fresh graduate to get that from. If someone is not employed, how will he/she have the experience.
I stop here cos my fone dey hot

(1) (Reply)

Optional Utme-mock Examination / Trendsviva Haute Fashion School Is 10years Old....!!!!! Yeaahhh! / Meet LASU Best Graduating Students Who Wrote UTME Seven Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.