Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,983 members, 7,825,063 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? (9150 Views)

Another Scamming Technique, Dont Fall For It ( Pictures ) / New Method Of Scamming, DO Not Fall Victim!!! / Smith Nnamadi Arrested For Scamming Thai Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Go Down)

Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by platinumnk(f): 8:37pm On Dec 14, 2009
It seems that MANY Nigerians have accepted or pacified the act of Scamming or "419" in our culture.

What do you think?

Is is a part of us that it becomes the norm and we cover for it?

Let me hear your thoughts. . . .  smiley
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Dec 14, 2009
Right!

So. . . . .
you know a few scammers or hang around scammers

You've been a victim of fraud.

You see and hear people in the media talk about fraudulent activities in Nigeria

. . . .  then you label Nigerian's as scammers?? Are you for real??

I am Nigerian (i think) but I haven't accepted the activities of a few as the norm.
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by platinumnk(f): 8:53pm On Dec 14, 2009
OMO IBO:

Right!

So. . . . .
you know a few scammers or hang around scammers

You've been a victim of fraud.

You see and hear people in the media talk about fraudulent activities in Nigeria

. . . .  then you label Nigerian's as scammers?? Are you for real??

I am Nigerian (i think) but I haven't accepted the activities of a few as the norm.

Please read over my post.

I read a thread earlier where a guy was upset that his gf dumped him because he was a yahoo boy.

And I was amazed by the people who were pacifying the yahoo guy situation like it was the girls fault!

It seemed to me in that thread that 419 has been embedded in our culture that no one pays no mind to it or even cares, as long as it doesn'thappen to them.

I am a Nigerian myself, and I will never support a 419r EVER. I would rather rot in the smelliest dungeonfor eternity

But some people shrug their heads and ignore it, while I'm the type[b] to blast them wherever they are[/b].

So have we accepted it as the Norm??

And to answer your question, yes I have been somewhat scammed. I will explain later.  cool

1 Like

Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by debosky(m): 8:57pm On Dec 14, 2009
SOME Nigerians have accepted it, others haven't.

You would do well to avoid generalisations.
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by platinumnk(f): 8:58pm On Dec 14, 2009
Link to Yahoo Boy Thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-40610.0.html

A Very Good Response:
texazzpete (m)

Re: She Dumped Me Because I'm A Yahoo Yahoo Boy
« #54 on: February 19, 2007, 01:45:57 AM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder how many of you guys would be so liberal if you had been robbed or scammed before.
Most of the victims of these 419 guys are retirees, old people, normal everyday people here. Yet these guys fleece them dry, destroying hopes and dreams just to get money they'd blow in the nearest night club.

419 kills! There was the old couple who got fleeced by some Nigerians (telling them they'd inherited some money). these guys sent in most of thier life savings and were duped! Winter came round, they couldnt afford their heating bills so the decided to manage without it for some time. they both froze to death.
there was the Mason in the UK who was duped of his life savings of about 60000 pounds. he hanged himself later. many many more stories like this abound, so many of these guys come to Nigeria to meet their 'business partners' only to be beaten or killed!
A softhearted person in the US is convinced to help an American stranded in Naija to cash some money orders, the guy goes to the bank and manages to cash the money and he sends it to Naija. 2 days later the guy is arrested and spends time cooling his heels in jail on suspicion of fraud. Meanwhile the naija guy shows off his new ride to his admiring pals.

these people have blood on their hands, only they just don't know it. Let's not use poverty as an excuse, what happened to plain old honesty? Why would someone come here on Nairaland to excuse the fact that someone steals, with the twisted logic that as long as its to pay his school fees, it's okay. It's Not!!

Sheesh!!
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by platinumnk(f): 9:01pm On Dec 14, 2009
debosky:

Ok I will edit to say MANY.

So if you knew someone was scamming , would you keep quiet or would you report that person to police?

Majority would keep quiet.

Example: I caught a Nairaland Scammer, and instead of blasting him, I was reccommended to keep quiet.

Does it mean we fold our hands?

Who else but US can tackle our ugly problem?
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Dec 14, 2009
See, you've been napping.
Most people do this.

Do you expect everyone to be like you?
Just because you won;t have anything to do with a yahoo guy does not mean someone else would look the other way.
You detest a yahoo boy. . . .  .someone somewhere doesn't mind.

Besides, I'd like to believe a large perfectage of people who do 'yahoo yahoo' are not proud of their actions.
In some cases they are looking for a big break before they turn a new leaf.
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by debosky(m): 9:04pm On Dec 14, 2009
platinumnk:

Ok I will edit to say MANY.

So if you knew someone was scamming , would you keep quiet or would you report that person to police?

Depends on the situation. . . in Nigeria one might be hesitant to report to the police due to the risk of being implicated by a corrupt police force.

Example: I caught a Nairaland Scammer, and instead of blasting him, I was reccommended to keep quiet.

Does it mean we fold our hands?

Who else but US can we tackle our ugly problem?

What did YOU do? Did you keep quiet or report to the admin? Scammers are not tolerated on nairaland and will be permanently banned from the forum.
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Dec 14, 2009
Criminals shouldn't be condoned. Shame the devil!!!
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by platinumnk(f): 9:11pm On Dec 14, 2009
OMO IBO:

See, you've been napping.
Most people do this.

Do you expect everyone to be like you?
Just because you won;t have anything to do with a yahoo guy does not mean someone else would look the other way.
You detest a yahoo boy. . . . .someone somewhere doesn't mind.

Besides, I'd like to believe a large perfectage of people who do 'yahoo yahoo' are not proud of their actions.
In some cases they are looking for a big break before they turn a new leaf.

Why wouldnt they mind, when they are not the victim?
This is what i call pacifying.
Plenty of people make it being honest.
So save the "need to steal" bs.

You think everybody isnt looking for a "big break"
What makes 419rs special?
Because we are enjoying the money someone else worked hard for??

cheesy
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 14, 2009
Only criminals like other criminals.
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by platinumnk(f): 9:13pm On Dec 14, 2009
debosky:

Depends on the situation. . . in Nigeria one might be hesitant to report to the police due to the risk of being implicated by a corrupt police force.

What did YOU do? Did you keep quiet or report to the admin? Scammers are not tolerated on nairaland and will be permanently banned from the forum.

About the Situation Yes  I can see that.  .  But dirty people always leaves a dirt trail. . .

I followed my Guts and reported it the Admin, and he is working on it. Thanks. smiley
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Dec 14, 2009
I haven't pacified any scammer.
I have no intention of pacifying any.

If I had my way, I'd lock all of them up in some abyss and get rid of the key.

My point is and will remain, everyone is not like you.

You may detest a 419ner and prolly snitch on him/her. Someone else somewhere will have no qualms with the fraudster's actions.
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by platinumnk(f): 9:17pm On Dec 14, 2009
michelin89:

Criminals shouldn't be condoned. Shame the devil!!!

Please Bear With me, this might be lengthy,
The Person in question is named Jacob Okpanwu Ezekiel.
He has several alias and I shall try to list them for you:
--Prince Victor Jacob- Okpanwu; Jacob Prince S. ; Jeffery Okpanwu; Jeffery Prince Okpanwu
Jeffery Prince. If I find any other names, I will let you know.

otherwise known as TheSeeker.
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by Sauron1: 9:18pm On Dec 14, 2009
debosky:

Nigerians have accepted scams?  shocked shocked shocked shocked
I don't think so. . . . . . .I think it's even more accepted in the West than in 3rd world countries like Nigeria.
What do you think will happen to a fraudster caught on the streets of Mushin compared to the one caught in Lloyds Bank in Westminster?
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by platinumnk(f): 9:19pm On Dec 14, 2009
OMO IBO:

I haven't pacified any scammer.
I have no intention of pacifying any.

If I had my way, I'd lock all of them up in some abyss and get rid of the key.

My point is and will remain, everyone is not like you.

You may detest a 419ner and prolly snitch on him/her. Someone else somewhere will have no qualms with the fraudster's actions.

But if you read the thread, most people replying seemed like that they had no qualms with the 419r.

Why is that? Have many accepted it ?
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by platinumnk(f): 9:21pm On Dec 14, 2009
~Sauron~:

Nigerians have accepted scams?  shocked shocked shocked shocked
I don't think so. . . . . . .I think it's even more accepted in the West than in 3rd world countries like Nigeria.
What do you think will happen to a fraudster caught on the streets of Mushin compared to the one caught in Lloyds Bank in Westminster?

More tolerated?? How? I went home and I used a cyber cafe, I was digusted by the amount of people who were typing up scam emails! I wanted to say something, but I got up and left.

Now I wish I would have said something.

Now I could see them, that means others could see them, does it mean that we dont care?
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Dec 14, 2009
~Sauron~:

Nigerians have accepted scams?  shocked shocked shocked shocked

Now here's someone who share's my sentiment.

I do not know of any Nigerian who has accepted fraudulent activities.

Do Nigerians do it? That's a resounding yes

Is it a part and parcel of us?? thats a resounding NO
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by Sauron1: 9:25pm On Dec 14, 2009
platinumnk:

More tolerated?? How? I went home and I used a cyber cafe, I was digusted by the amount of people who were typing up scam emails! I wanted to say something, but I got up and left.
Now I wish I would have said something.

Say something?
What would you say to those hustlers that will change their minds?
U see. . . . . .It's a complex situation. . . . .The Government let em down and most of em think the only way to make a living is to scam oblivious peops abroad.

Now I could see them, that means others could see them, does it mean that we dont care?

Nigerians don't care about stuffs to be fair.
As long as it does not affect their immediate family, they can't be bovvered.
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by 4Play(m): 9:27pm On Dec 14, 2009
OMO IBO:

Now here's someone who share's my sentiment.

I do not know of any Nigerian who has accepted fraudulent activities.

Do Nigerians do it? That's a resounding yes

Is it a part and parcel of us thats a resounding NO

So why are our youth teams who fraudulently claim to be younger than they really are get fêted by Nigerians who are fully aware something is amiss?

Why are Nigerians whose source of wealth is highly questionable lauded and given chieftaincy titles by fellow Nigerians?
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by debosky(m): 9:28pm On Dec 14, 2009
platinumnk:

--Prince Victor Jacob- Okpanwu; Jacob Prince S. ; Jeffery Okpanwu; Jeffery Prince Okpanwu

So your so called boyfriend is a scammer?  cheesy

Amazing!  grin

Can you provide any evidence of his scamming on nairaland so it can be dealt with?
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by platinumnk(f): 9:30pm On Dec 14, 2009
debosky:

So your so called boyfriend is a scammer? cheesy

Amazing! grin

Can you provide any evidence of his scamming on nairaland so it can be dealt with?

HES NOT MY BOYFRIEND . . angry angry angry

now thats thats out the way . . .

I was introduced to him in Aug, and he requested that he needed help getting bank statements to the school he wanted to attend in Baton Rouge, LA. Being nice, and sensing no ill will, I agreed and I was emailed six pages of a bank statement with the balance being appox 70,000 dollars.

The bank is under Zenith Bank Plc, Plot 84, Ajose Adeogun Street, P.O Box 75315
Name on the Account on the files I was sent : Jacob Okpanwu Ezekiel
5, Onilewura Street, Oke-odo, Osogbo, Osun State.
Account Number: CA 6010601203
Account Name: Jacob Okpanwu Ezekiel

Also in those documents was a name change paper from the Customary Court of Osun State, in the Olorunda Grade Customary Court 5 Holden at Igbona, Osogbo.
The statement changed his name from Jacob Prince S. to Prince Victor Jacob- Okpanwu

Now then I didn’t realize anything was wrong, we had previously discussed his name changing , so I expected it.
I then turned the I-20 to Baton Rouge Community College, In Baton Rouge , LA.
The school issued him an I20 based on the documents and then Jeffery Okpanwu sent me an email with UPS label to send the documents to him.
Jeffery told me that he paid for the UPS shipment and that all I needed to do was to print the shipping label and send the documents. Which I did.

Now what exposed him was two weeks ago, UPS brought a letter to my office. The letter was a bill for the shipment that Jeffery was supposed to pay for. On the bill my name was listed as the account holder and that the shipment would be billed to me. I spoke to Jeffery and he insisted that there was a mistake somewhere. But I began doing investigations on my own, and I contacted some colleagues at GTBank to do a research on the account with other banks. I received news that the bank account is fraudulent, and that the name change was to cover for whose account information he stole and there are two men that have been working on this fraud.
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by platinumnk(f): 9:31pm On Dec 14, 2009
4 Play:

So why are our youth teams who fraudulently claim to be younger than they really are get fêted by Nigerians who are fully aware something is amiss?

Why are Nigerians whose source of wealth is highly questionable lauded and given chieftaincy titles by fellow Nigerians?

^^thank you

[size=28pt]Pacifying[/size]! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by jaybee3(m): 9:32pm On Dec 14, 2009
signing in ********
r u sure plat?
i hope he has not scammed ur stuff oh grin grin
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by Sauron1: 9:35pm On Dec 14, 2009
4 Play:

This is a grey area.
Age cheats can never be considered criminals in Nigeria because it's a national phenomenon.
I know enough old men in various ministries who lied about their ages so they don't retire early. . . . . .Parents lie about the age of their kids so they can either get into school earlier than others or for whatever reasons.

It's a cultural thing synonymous to female circumcision. grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Dec 14, 2009
platinumnk:

Oh wow, this is taking a new twist.

I thought you were/are pals with TheSeeker!
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by jaybee3(m): 9:37pm On Dec 14, 2009
knew his a.ss was too good to be true.
na wa o.
dude claiming UCLA bla bla bla
another lesson for u girls
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by platinumnk(f): 9:38pm On Dec 14, 2009
Attached::

Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by debosky(m): 9:39pm On Dec 14, 2009
@ Plat

Your post has been tagged. . .please be patient for the admin to untag it.

Who asked you to keep quiet regarding the scam that was played on you?

Secondly, how can you believe that someone with $70,000 in his account will need YOUR help to get an I-20? Are you an admissions officer or some super human person with American connections? Nigerians also need to stop being gullible.  sad
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by platinumnk(f): 9:41pm On Dec 14, 2009
jay bee:

signing in ********
r u sure plat?
i hope he has not scammed your stuff oh grin grin

No he didnt get anything from me but honesty . . . which I dont regret. .

But that brings me to my topic- I was advised by friends to keep quiet . .  and I understand,  they wanna protect my frail heart.--

But to cover for a 419r HELL NO, not even for my sake.\

So it brings me to my topic, we say we havent accepted from the responses, but have we really? embarassed embarassed
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by Sauron1: 9:43pm On Dec 14, 2009
debosky:

@ Plat

Your post has been tagged. . .please be patient for the admin to untag it.

Who asked you to keep quiet regarding the scam that was played on you?

Secondly, how can you believe that someone with $70,000 in his account will need YOUR help to get an I-20? Are you an admissions officer or some super human person with American connections? Nigerians also need to stop being gullible.  sad

Shut up Debosky!!!
Where has she been gullible in this case?
Did you even peruse the letter she attached at all?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/208317_scam33_JPGc795d70ef0a4bac4669973cac4fac091

Eziokwu?
Are you sure this is true, Platinumnk??
Re: Is Scamming Part Of Our Culture? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Dec 14, 2009
platinumk,

When I was telling you all this, you did not believe me.

I do not hate you child, if you have a shoulder to cry on, you have mines.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Lagos Sends 30 Beggars To Jail / Pastor Caught Sleeping With Friend's Daughter (photos) / $9.6bn P&ID Judgment: Efcc Arraigns Director For Bribery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.