Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,106 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes (63059 Views)

NUC Lists Universities Approved For Postgraduate Programmes / Novena University Gets NUC Approval For Law, Medical, Postgraduate Programmes / UK Universities With The Highest First Cass Degrees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by Ojimba1(m): 9:19am On Mar 10, 2017
if Uniport z nur dere who will ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by Nobody: 10:31am On Mar 10, 2017
HRHQueenPhil:

does the 1 million include accommodation? cos am taking that, feeding and miscellaneous into cognisance
Ok the hostel is currently separately charged at 120k per year(though PG Hostel is very nice), but I guess you could live outside but at the end of the day it would amount to the same cost considering transportation fare and electricity bills in ur off campus residence.
As per feeding you buy food from the PG cafeteria or the university cafeterias(whichever is cheaper or convenient). Each plate would usually sell for about 250/300 Naira. But I think it's actually better to over budget than to under budget so still work with ur two million but I believe u wouldn't spend up to that.
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by Nobody: 10:41am On Mar 10, 2017
Marcelinho:
when you post the worst also post the best so we can compare and contrast. thank you cool cool cool
cc=fratermathy
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by fratermathy(m): 10:59am On Mar 10, 2017
elhafeez:

Op i am not here to argue. we are all educated and educated people see problems and find solution. There are challenges and there is need for improvement. But ABU PG programme is not terrible.
On the people waiting for external défense for the past 8, i can say they allowed it stay that long. In ABU there is à organisational structure that is simple and straight forward (dept, Faculty, PG school and senate) when à student completes his programme for professional Masters or thesis and in case of Msc or Phd the dept send your name to thé faculty board, for approval, they meet in the month. After approval, it is forwarded Post Gradute (PG) school board they meet every second thursday of the month. The Dean of PG school presents it to the University senate. They meet every last thurday of the month. Then the PG school issues the statement of result or notification for approval. For MSc and Phd candidates the name and thé nominated 1 external supervisor and 2 internal supervisors are sent to the department. The dept can now call for the défense.
Any student can go and check at the dept, faculty or PG school to know what is happening. Some of the problems face are
1. The dept may not send your name,due to ommision. I know of dept who send the name of student very early. (Quantity surveying dept).
2. Mistake in your name or registration number. it will be sent back to the dept.
3. Must dept do not organise external defence for only one candidate some dept want at least three. I waited for 4 months because i was thé only candidate who was ready. i had to wait for approval of two other student before external defense was organised. If it is organised for each student then every week the dept has to organise external extermination and it is not sustainable.
Anybody having to wait that 8 months long, didnt ask questions or check back to see what is happening. You can walk to the office of Dean of postgraduate school and he will listen to you.
I waited 3 months after my approval for external defense came from PG school to do my external examination, because my dept wanted more candidates (5) to call the examiner to come. I went to see the HOD and spoke to him. My external defense held the next week.
ABU has à research log book to be filled by the student on anything they do and signed by supervisors . In case of any problem the university request for the log book to see who is at fault or why there is no progress in the research.
Many dept give deadline for submission of project especially in professional Masters programme like it is done in undergraduate programme, quality of research will be compromised . It is impossible in Msc and Phd because graduation dépends on thé quality of the research not quantity of student graduate.
I have quite à lot of issues with thé A.BU PG programme. A.B.U post graduate programme needs improvement but it is not terrible as you have made it look.
*am typing on my phone, pls padon my error

This is an interesting revelation. Atleast it accounts for alot. However the bureaucracies are still too much na. Haba! In some schools, the only connection the student has with PG school is clearance and result collection. Almost everything, including external defence, is done at the departmental level.

Thank you anyway for this.

3 Likes

Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by MrRosh: 12:10pm On Mar 10, 2017
Statsocial:

I think 1 million would be enough for ur MSc in CU. Am also going there and my friend currently undergoing MSc in BCH is paying 486k.

Well it may be wiser to go to better institutes pay and know you will be don in a year plus than stick to some of these so called public insitutes with repute and end up spending much more spread over years!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by babyfaceafrica: 12:13pm On Mar 10, 2017
elhafeez:

Op i am not here to argue. we are all educated and educated people see problems and find solution. There are challenges and there is need for improvement. But ABU PG programme is not terrible.
On the people waiting for external défense for the past 8, i can say they allowed it stay that long. In ABU there is à organisational structure that is simple and straight forward (dept, Faculty, PG school and senate) when à student completes his programme for professional Masters or thesis and in case of Msc or Phd the dept send your name to thé faculty board, for approval, they meet in the month. After approval, it is forwarded Post Gradute (PG) school board they meet every second thursday of the month. The Dean of PG school presents it to the University senate. They meet every last thurday of the month. Then the PG school issues the statement of result or notification for approval. For MSc and Phd candidates the name and thé nominated 1 external supervisor and 2 internal supervisors are sent to the department. The dept can now call for the défense.
Any student can go and check at the dept, faculty or PG school to know what is happening. Some of the problems face are
1. The dept may not send your name,due to ommision. I know of dept who send the name of student very early. (Quantity surveying dept).
2. Mistake in your name or registration number. it will be sent back to the dept.
3. Must dept do not organise external defence for only one candidate some dept want at least three. I waited for 4 months because i was thé only candidate who was ready. i had to wait for approval of two other student before external defense was organised. If it is organised for each student then every week the dept has to organise external extermination and it is not sustainable.
Anybody having to wait that 8 months long, didnt ask questions or check back to see what is happening. You can walk to the office of Dean of postgraduate school and he will listen to you.
I waited 3 months after my approval for external defense came from PG school to do my external examination, because my dept wanted more candidates (5) to call the examiner to come. I went to see the HOD and spoke to him. My external defense held the next week.
ABU has à research log book to be filled by the student on anything they do and signed by supervisors . In case of any problem the university request for the log book to see who is at fault or why there is no progress in the research.
Many dept give deadline for submission of project especially in professional Masters programme like it is done in undergraduate programme, quality of research will be compromised . It is impossible in Msc and Phd because graduation dépends on thé quality of the research not quantity of student graduate.
I have quite à lot of issues with thé A.BU PG programme. A.B.U post graduate programme needs improvement but it is not terrible as you have made it look.
*am typing on my phone, pls padon my error
it maybe not be terrible,it is bad..if a programme is 2,yrs let it be 2 yrs..how is it my fault if others gave not finished?....if I am the only one ready at the stipulated time...organise external defense for mW and let me move..unnecessary bureaucracies they use to delay peoples life..it doesn't happen like that abroad..pg especially PhD in Nigeria is a joke...let's say it as it is !!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by Ghost01(m): 2:24pm On Mar 10, 2017
fratermathy:

This is an interesting revelation. Atleast it accounts for alot. However the bureaucracies are still too much na. Haba! In some schools, the only connection the student has with PG school is clearance and result collection. Almost everything, including external defence, is done at the departmental level.

That's one hell of a bureaucracy! Scary, even.

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by janefrancisca(f): 2:25pm On Mar 10, 2017
fratermathy:

I don't have enough facts about this institution to justify its inclusion on this list. Is the PG programme also terrible?
The PG programme in that school is worse than terrible; I regret enrolling for a programme there. The PG school lacks coordination, the various departments, the lecturers, the staffs all feeling as if they are rendering a favour to students. The school no work I swear...I had to drop, can't continue wasting my time.

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by elhafeez(m): 2:34pm On Mar 10, 2017
fratermathy:

Thank you anyway for this. [/quot
I couldnt agréé more. Let if be de-centralised. For appointment of external supervisor it shouldnt go to the senate for approval. I lost a job opportunity because i wasted 3 months waiting for external défense. It's frustration waiting for external. God is your strength.

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by fratermathy(m): 2:57pm On Mar 10, 2017
BrutusOj:
You tried in your research, however there are some contradiction. Some schools that appeared in the top schools good for masters are also in the list of the worst 5 schools. I guess the previous research was in a hurry or so. Most people will come here to brag about their school which I always laugh at. I wonder who they think they are deceiving, I rep Uniilorin, I rep OAU, I rep ABU and Co will make them not to expose those schools for action to be taken to better the standard of their schools. Sincerely, PG programmes in naija need serious attention. Most of the lecturers who got their higher degree back in the days when things were still good through scholarships abroad now want to remain the dons alone forever making them have poor attitudes towards their job

You are right. The previous research was done two years ago and the last two entries were totally unnecessary and contradictory with this list. I sincerely apologise for that.
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by pharie(f): 7:04pm On Mar 11, 2017
Are you interested in earning while you study
Are you interested in earning to pay your fees, enjoy some good luxury as a student Or you just want to have a feel of what salary earners experience?
Project and Research Nigeria (PRN) is here to give you all these opportunities and the answers
PRN is a platform owned and run by SOUTECH VENTURES. it is a premium platform for consultancy on standard research in Undergraduate, Postgraduate (Msc, Phd), Workplace and Occupational Project Freelance Center. Its services involves bringing experts input to assist in various academic and occupational projects/assignment . we provide help for all disciplines ranging from Marketing, Finance, Medicine, Hr, Engineering etc
There are millions of term papers, projects, articles, research work, thesis, occupational documentations, drawings, paintings, intellectual properties that are being churned out of school and work places, They are dumped forever after its first use.
In PRN, we seek to add more value to these works, by helping owners make money by selling them to people around the world. People who need them for research and legitimate purposes. we also provide an array for Nigerians to sell their works legally without going through the rigour of mass production in hard copies or publishing them.
We are currently looking for Aggregators in Lagos state.
REQUIREMENTS
Must be Smart and outspoken,
Must be a 3rd year student and above currently engaged in a tertiary institution in Lagos state ( class reps,dpt presidents, faculty presidents, lecturers and owners of IT firms within the institution are most welcome and of more advantage),
must be internet savvy,
should be currently enrolled/ have presence in any ( university, polytechnic, national teachers institution NTI, art schools/ colleges,NOUN,etc)
RESPONSIBILITIES
list works (undergraduate and PG works, journals, Academic SIWES report, term papers, project research, business documents, paintings, etc) monthly.
Actively share PRN content via social media, bbm, WhatsApp etc,
write two short articles on any topic of choice monthly and sent to the state coordinator,
send summary report to state coordinator weekly.
Renumeration #65,000 per month
Interested and qualified candidates should send a short writeup of 2 paragraphs on your biodata and reasons why you want to be a PRN aggregator to faridaabdul16@gmail.com or call 09099154944 on / before Tuesday 14th of march 2017 by 12pm.
Goodluck
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by jackpot(f): 9:57pm On Apr 30, 2017
SeniorArchitect:

Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, is easily the best school in the South East. I wouldn't know your reasons for your above opinion though.
I got my MSc in Unizik and I can assure you of its quality. Department matters however, and I believe that in such cases you should be specific.

The problem with Unizik PG at the moment is the high cost which wasn't so in 2013. They imply that it is because of the TSA regime and all that.

The problem isn't with the high cost but extreme bureaucracy and PG school strict unenforcement of their calendar.
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by LadyJasper: 9:18am On Jul 06, 2017
kometpuvo:
The author skipped Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka.
What is the problem with Nnamdi Azikiwe University, please? I intend applying in the next session.
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by bfbellexce: 2:52pm On Jul 17, 2017
JusticeSeeker:
I don't know what happens in other departments at Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka but the department of computer science of that school is supposed to be number one on that list. 24 of us were given admission in 2009 and right now as I'm writing only four have graduated and it's by God's special grace.

Pls sir i'm about to pick msc form from nnamdi azikwe uni in electronic and computer dept. pls i would lik to giv u a call for som enquiries. this is my number
07035859534. thanks
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by bfbellexce: 3:07pm On Jul 17, 2017
SeniorArchitect:

Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, is easily the best school in the South East. I wouldn't know your reasons for your above opinion though.
I got my MSc in Unizik and I can assure you of its quality. Department matters however, and I believe that in such cases you should be specific.

The problem with Unizik PG at the moment is the high cost which wasn't so in 2013. They imply that it is because of the TSA regime and all that.

pls sir i wuld love to giv u a call on unizik for msc electronic and computer engineering. pls my number 07035859534
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by bfbellexce: 3:13pm On Jul 17, 2017
SeniorArchitect:

sir i would lov to giv u a call on unizik msc electronic and computer engineering. my number above quote
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by amii131(f): 11:04am On Aug 28, 2017
SeniorArchitect:

How much is their current tuition now?
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by Nobody: 7:54am On Jan 04, 2019
DLondonboiy:
Uniben is the best in Nigeria...I think.
The worst university.
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by Nobody: 7:56am On Jan 04, 2019
SeniorArchitect:

Are you implying that virtually all the department are fast?
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by Nobody: 8:00am On Jan 04, 2019
elhafeez:
OP is totally wrong. ABU being on the list is incorrect. the OP must have consulted lazy students in writing this list. Am not saying ABU is à perfect institution but it is trying. you can not make collusion based on anecdotal evidence. you have to come up with à list based on the number of PG student à university graduates compared to the number of intake.
Studies have shown that when students finish their course work they find it difficult to complete their thesis. That is why most people who travel out complete their study in good time because they have the time to study.
lastly i did my Msc in ABU and also doing my PhD. I completed my study within the stipulated time 24 months. After 4 years 60 of my class mate who have completed and passed the course work are yet to complete the study.
I dont know of other schools but based on first hand expérience i totally disagree with the OP
What op said about ABU is true. You were just lucky
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by Nobody: 8:06am On Jan 04, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
it maybe not be terrible,it is bad..if a programme is 2,yrs let it be 2 yrs..how is it my fault if others gave not finished?....if I am the only one ready at the stipulated time...organise external defense for mW and let me move..unnecessary bureaucracies they use to delay peoples life..it doesn't happen like that abroad..pg especially PhD in Nigeria is a joke...let's say it as it is !!
Envy and jealousy among lecturers is one factor responsible for this
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by Nobody: 8:13am On Jan 04, 2019
Emmynet50:
Uniben will always set the pace in character and academic excellence. Great Uniben!!!
That school has issues too. That op didn't exposed them doesn't mean they are better. University of Ibadan is better off than Uniben
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by Nobody: 8:16am On Jan 04, 2019

I think 1 million would be enough for ur MSc in CU. Am also going there and my friend currently undergoing MSc in BCH is paying 486k.
At least it better off rather than wasting time in many public universities running MSC or PhD
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by Nobody: 8:24am On Jan 04, 2019
Draxler:
Trust me I'm doing my postgraduate programme in a public uni. Yes the fee is 150 but the other excuses they'll use to take your money plus the accommodation puts it on par with private universities in terms of fees.
Correct
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by Nobody: 8:25am On Jan 04, 2019
heskeyw:

God bless u bro. Unizik na the baba for delay
Can you state the departments having delay?
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by heskeyw(m): 10:44am On Jan 04, 2019
asuustrike1:

Can you state the departments having delay?
My sis read micro biology in Ansu. She went to unizik for MSc on physical health in 2015. Since then ooo, her set never graduate. The worst thing is that they will force you to be paying school fees on those wasted years.
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by johnemanual: 11:22am On Jan 04, 2019
Thanks on your marvellous posting. I truly enjoyed reading it very informative article post. I am your big fan Law Essay Writing Service
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jan 04, 2019
heskeyw:

My sis read micro biology in Ansu. She went to unizik for MSc on physical health in 2015. Since then ooo, her set never graduate. The worst thing is that they will force you to be paying school fees on those wasted years.
Hmmmm! I learnt that unizik likes money
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by HisGrace0000001(m): 11:24pm On Jan 04, 2019
fratermathy:

This is a list for postgraduate studies not undergraduate. They may have everything that can make it one of the best in terms of undergraduate studies but trust me, the PG school has a long way to go. Indicate if you are PG student and share your experience.
I may not be a post graduate student, but I'll love it if you can just be precise about the problems.
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by Nobody: 12:48am On Feb 06, 2019
Feel free to attend Babcock and CU. PG is top notch at both Universities
Please is Babcock pg form still on sales for 2018/2019 session?
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by Nobody: 12:51am On Feb 06, 2019
fratermathy:

No public university charges more than 300k for PG programmes with the average being 150k. Even at that, some schools break down this amount into semester-by-semester payments with the average per semester being 50k.

CU and other private universities charge much higher. However, their pay is worth it in the final run because students graduate as and when due and the lecturers are very helpful. The only downside to private universities' PG education is the bias and misconception that the degrees were bought rather than worked for.
Can you explain further what you mean by the bolded text?
Are you implying that schools like CU and Babcock sell certificate since they are private?
Re: Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes by Nobody: 1:02am On Feb 06, 2019
Emmynet50:
Uniben will always set the pace in character and academic excellence. Great Uniben!!!
Uniben is not better either. Some of the problems op listed are experienced over there

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics / Why Patience Jonathan’s Security Aide Was Killed — Leadership / Abu Admission Requirements For All Courses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.