Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,999 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:29 PM

A Prophet Without Honour. S. Oliseh, Nigeria's Most Knowledgeable Coach - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / A Prophet Without Honour. S. Oliseh, Nigeria's Most Knowledgeable Coach (1032 Views)

Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder / Sunday Oliseh Rejects Waasland Beveren, Belgian Coaching Job / A Prophet Without Honour In His Own Country- Emmanuel Amuneke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Prophet Without Honour. S. Oliseh, Nigeria's Most Knowledgeable Coach by otipoju(m): 10:36pm On Mar 05, 2017
http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/39166947

Sunday Oliseh

Sunday Oliseh took over as head coach of Dutch second tier side Fortuna Sittard in December 2016
The former Nigeria captain and coach, Sunday Oliseh, says he is relishing his role as head coach of Dutch club Fortuna Sittard, after a successful start at the second tier side.

Oliseh, 42, who stood down as Super Eagles coach in February 2016, previously played for Dutch giants Ajax from 1997 to 1999.

Since arriving at Fortuna Sittard two months ago, the former Nigeria coach has steered the club away from the relegation zone with only one defeat in nine games.

it's a good challenge because there is no better way to show that you're good at this job than to pick a team that is really struggling with really unknown players

Sunday Oliseh
Head coach at Fortuna Sittard
"That is great for us. And the boys keep improving. We're picking up points home and away. So I'm very pleased with the results" Oliseh told BBC Sport.

Oliseh, who also played for Juventus and Borussia Dortmund during his club career, earned 63 caps for Nigeria.

He says his biggest challenge at Fortuna Sittard has been working on the team's confidence.

"It was the psychological aspect. Trying to get the players to get a winning mentality. Trying to change the psychology and make them believe in their qualities and try to get the best out of them. That was the most difficult challenge" said Oliseh.

The Nigerian's last coaching position had been with his country. He says Fortuna Sittard posed a completely different task.

"Here, it's like I had to start from zero. We practically started everything again. How we defend, how we ball-position, how we counter-transition, how we attack. All this I had to do it from zero. And the weather didn't help me. We didn't have the facilities, like sometimes we had snow. But when I see the commitment the players have put into it, it's good."

Oliseh had also previously coached Belgian lower tier side Verviétois, and he says the Fortuna job was one he could not refuse.

"It's very close to my home. So I can come home and see my kids and my wife every day.

"And it's a good challenge because there is no better way to show that you're good at this job than to pick a team that is really struggling with really unknown players.

"And it was a big risk but I felt that if I could bring them results then it becomes clear that you know your job. And so far I'm very grateful to God that it's working out that way" explained Oliseh, who helped Nigeria win the 1994 Africa Cup of Nations and Olympic gold in 1996.

Oliseh says working abroad is important for all footballers and urged Nigerian stars to embrace opportunities in China.

Oliseh has been monitoring Nigeria's chances on the global stage and is optimistic about their chances of qualifying for the World Cup in Russia in 2018.

After leaving his post as coach of the Super Eagles, Oliseh worked at Fifa on their new technical committee. He says the door remains open for him to continue his work with football's world body.

"I tried to arrange with them that if I'm not working here and there's an event and Fifa needs my services, that I can be available. But at the same time, I love coaching. I love working with young players. I like seeing them grow and getting results, so it's good."
Re: A Prophet Without Honour. S. Oliseh, Nigeria's Most Knowledgeable Coach by Adanna205: 12:02pm On Aug 02, 2020
otipoju:
http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/39166947

Sunday Oliseh

Sunday Oliseh took over as head coach of Dutch second tier side Fortuna Sittard in December 2016
The former Nigeria captain and coach, Sunday Oliseh, says he is relishing his role as head coach of Dutch club Fortuna Sittard, after a successful start at the second tier side.

Oliseh, 42, who stood down as Super Eagles coach in February 2016, previously played for Dutch giants Ajax from 1997 to 1999.

Since arriving at Fortuna Sittard two months ago, the former Nigeria coach has steered the club away from the relegation zone with only one defeat in nine games.

it's a good challenge because there is no better way to show that you're good at this job than to pick a team that is really struggling with really unknown players

Sunday Oliseh
Head coach at Fortuna Sittard
"That is great for us. And the boys keep improving. We're picking up points home and away. So I'm very pleased with the results" Oliseh told BBC Sport.

Oliseh, who also played for Juventus and Borussia Dortmund during his club career, earned 63 caps for Nigeria.

He says his biggest challenge at Fortuna Sittard has been working on the team's confidence.

"It was the psychological aspect. Trying to get the players to get a winning mentality. Trying to change the psychology and make them believe in their qualities and try to get the best out of them. That was the most difficult challenge" said Oliseh.

The Nigerian's last coaching position had been with his country. He says Fortuna Sittard posed a completely different task.

"Here, it's like I had to start from zero. We practically started everything again. How we defend, how we ball-position, how we counter-transition, how we attack. All this I had to do it from zero. And the weather didn't help me. We didn't have the facilities, like sometimes we had snow. But when I see the commitment the players have put into it, it's good."

Oliseh had also previously coached Belgian lower tier side Verviétois, and he says the Fortuna job was one he could not refuse.

"It's very close to my home. So I can come home and see my kids and my wife every day.

"And it's a good challenge because there is no better way to show that you're good at this job than to pick a team that is really struggling with really unknown players.

"And it was a big risk but I felt that if I could bring them results then it becomes clear that you know your job. And so far I'm very grateful to God that it's working out that way" explained Oliseh, who helped Nigeria win the 1994 Africa Cup of Nations and Olympic gold in 1996.

Oliseh says working abroad is important for all footballers and urged Nigerian stars to embrace opportunities in China.

Oliseh has been monitoring Nigeria's chances on the global stage and is optimistic about their chances of qualifying for the World Cup in Russia in 2018.

After leaving his post as coach of the Super Eagles, Oliseh worked at Fifa on their new technical committee. He says the door remains open for him to continue his work with football's world body.

"I tried to arrange with them that if I'm not working here and there's an event and Fifa needs my services, that I can be available. But at the same time, I love coaching. I love working with young players. I like seeing them grow and getting results, so it's good."
Hello sir, I am sure you don't remember me but your good deed will never be forgotten.
I tried reaching you via WhatsApp but your number hasn't been active and I couldn't find your email address in my mailbox. Thanks so much for all you did for me in the past, I'm forever grateful.

(1) (Reply)

I Caused My Brother's Defeat To Anthony Joshua - Vitali Klitschkot / Barca Refuses To Pay Neymar’s €26M Loyalty Bonus / Mayweather Vs Mcgregor In A UFC Fight: Who Would Win?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.