Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. - Travel (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. (493336 Views)

Canada Port of entry interview /experience / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 3:02pm On Aug 04, 2017
PHOOMI:
Pls house don't mind my too many questions, I read somewhere that the immigration officers at MMA might decide to frustrate a first time traveller even make d person miss his flight, some terrible tales. Pls is the situation still same or its better now, nd also any advice for a first time traveler on how to handle the officers. Thanks.
Our International Airport are different now... I will like to inform you that no one I mean no one will harass you at the airport especially the Uniform personnel so far you have nothing to hide or carry. if anyone disturb you alert Faan through their twitter account or whistle blowing private number.

6 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by cosade(m): 3:17pm On Aug 04, 2017
PHOOMI:
Pls house don't mind my too many questions, I read somewhere that the immigration officers at MMA might decide to frustrate a first time traveller even make d person miss his flight, some terrible tales. Pls is the situation still same or its better now, nd also any advice for a first time traveler on how to handle the officers. Thanks.

The moment you have the feeling you're being delayed unjustly, tell them so and let them know if you're delayed further you'll lodge complaint with the "appropriate authority". I have relations as young as 16 that have travelled unaccompanied out of MMIA without any harassment because I have tutored them on what to do from the time they leave home till they get to their final destination.

6 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 3:20pm On Aug 04, 2017
Amaizu:
@Seyewest. Pls what is best flight deal that I can get. Lagos to Pittsburgh, PA. I am looking at September 9th. I don't mind nearby cities once I can get domestic flights.Thanks

You will have to break down your journey in U.S I prefer you land in New York and take a domestic flight to Pittsburgh or fly directly to Boston I think it's nearer to Pittsburgh
Best deal will be by September and you may see New York for less than N390K Flight to Pittsburgh should be around $80-$125
Good luck

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Abuleoshi: 12:59am On Aug 05, 2017
PHOOMI:
Missed my flight first time I travelled to SA because of those useless Immigration people. But on my flight to Yankee, it was a breeze through. For your first time, check in early and do immigration clearance early so no matter the delay based on "first timer" , you would be through with them before your flight takes off.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by jenny2007(f): 11:10am On Aug 06, 2017
Hi everyone and a happy Sunday,
I'm grateful for all the advise that I've gotten here through the years. I have travelled to the U.S and just got back about a month ago. It was my first visit and I stayed only 3 weeks (even though I was stamped for 6 months to stay). Now I'll like to travel again in 3 months time for a visit.
My question is my visa is for multiple entries (b1/b2). Can I travel as often as I want for the duration of the visa? By the time I travel again it would have been 4 months since my last trip. Is 4 months too early to travel back again. Will that be a problem at the POE? My last travel was for a conference but now I want to go for leisure for 2 weeks. I have my own business here at home and i think I deserve some break to rest for 2 weeks to clear my head. Seyewest & Co over to you all. I applied for and got my visa through advise her (with prayers too), and entered first time through advise from here too so I eagerly await your response on this. Thanks

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Mitchely: 11:21am On Aug 06, 2017
Point of Entry Experience at Denver International Airport on 2nd August (on an F1 Visa). I was a bit scared due to the fact I had not secured an apartment before my flight and wifey insisted on me packing some foodstuff. Declared everything on the form issued, and proceeded to the interview. CPB scrutinized my documents, remarked that I came very prepared with a full kitchen, I replied with a smile that my wife made sure of that. Stamped me in after a little chit chat about when last I was in Lagos.
Thanks to this great family for all the help.....

For those traveling soon, please arrange to eat at your stopovers, I almost died of hunger on the 10hrs Lufhtensa flight from Frankfurt to Denver, meals were great, from how the other passengers were enjoying it. But for me that have been over spoilt with our Nigerian Delicacies, the instant transition to a piece of chicken in a greenish soup was just too much.

7 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by cosade(m): 12:08pm On Aug 06, 2017
jenny2007:
I'm grateful for all the advise that I've gotten here through the years. I have travelled to the U.S and just got back about a month ago. It was my first visit and I stayed only 3 weeks (even though I was stamped for 6 months to stay). Now I'll like to travel again in 3 months time for a visit.
My question is my visa is for multiple entries (b1/b2). Can I travel as often as I want for the duration of the visa? By the time I travel again it would have been 4 months since my last trip. Is 4 months too early to travel back again. Will that be a problem at the POE? My last travel was for a conference but now I want to go for leisure for 2 weeks. I have my own business here at home and i think I deserve some break to rest for 2 weeks to clear my head. Seyewest & Co over to you all. I applied for and got my visa through advise her (with prayers too), and entered first time through advise from here too so I eagerly await your response on this. Thanks

B1/B2 visas are normally issued for multiple entries, check your visa to confirm "M" is stated under "Entry".

Four months interval is not short to travel again if you can withstand the long travel time and fund it, without recourse to work in US. However, do not lose sight of the fact that you also need to do more business at home, so as to be able to fund further trips.

As a business person, do not only make your trip a pleasure one, you can use the opportunity to look for things you can buy cheaply during trip and sell here. The dollar shops are usually of interests to people doing buying and selling.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Lamakinde(m): 1:50pm On Aug 06, 2017
Travelled last year November on BA enroute to Phoenix, Arizona. Quite a long trip. All along I have been going to the UK and Dubai. Trip was to ABJ - LHR - PHL - PHX. Was like are we there yet? So pretty exhausted on arriving Philadelphia and i was the last person on the arrival queue. The following conversation ensued (first in the states)
POE(A young guy) - Hi
Me - Hello
POE - Can I have your passport?
I gave my passport
POE - First time in states?
Me - Me
POE checking and looking at my passport, said it sure look like you.
Me - replied Yes (Visibly exhausted)
POE - Final destination
Me - Phoenix Arizona
POE - Arizona! Exclaimed as if no one goes there. Why Arizona? asked
Me - Cousin stays there with his family.
POE - Hmmmm........... Ok. I will like to make this pretty fast ad possible, it's Friday night. Do you have anything to declare like meat or so?
Me - mumbled something like have some bags made of cow hide.
POE thought I said cow meat so had to explain what I meant so he passed me on through the xtrays for my bags. And that is it.
My cousin said he's pretty ready for Friday night so will not be ready to go through much stress.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by jenny2007(f): 2:14pm On Aug 06, 2017
cosade:

B1/B2 visas are normally issued for multiple entries, check your visa to confirm "M" is stated under "Entry".

Four months interval is not short to travel again if you can withstand the long travel time and fund it, without recourse to work in US. However, do not lose sight of the fact that you also need to do more business at home, so as to be able to fund further trips.

As a business person, do not only make your trip a pleasure one, you can use the opportunity to look for things you can buy cheaply during trip and sell here. The dollar shops are usually of interests to people doing buying and selling.

Thanks so much for this
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by john20177: 2:36pm On Aug 06, 2017
The US is no safe place for migrants anymore, not just Nigerians or Africans but all foreigners. It's very obvious Trump has hatred for migrants bot in his speech and actions. Just yesterday I read about the influx of migrant from US to Canada..
http://www.myafricansabroad.com/canada-opens-montreal-olympic-stadium-migrants-us/
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by john20177: 2:38pm On Aug 06, 2017
Canada have to open an Olympic Stadium to accommodate the massive large number of migrants coming from the US
Read here if you want http://www.myafricansabroad.com/canada-opens-montreal-olympic-stadium-migrants-us/
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by KaptainAfrika: 7:32pm On Aug 06, 2017
The US is not safe for ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS any-more. LEGAL IMMIGRANTS are welcomed to the US. If this was the case as you claimed, this forum will have dried up and the large crowds outside the US Embassy would have dwindled. Also, a more respectable source like AP, CNN (despite their fake news), UNITED NATIONS should be quoted not 'blogs'.

john20177:
The US is no safe place for migrants anymore, not just Nigerians or Africans but all foreigners. It's very obvious Trump has hatred for migrants bot in his speech and actions. Just yesterday I read about the influx of migrant from US to Canada..
http://www.myafricansabroad.com/canada-opens-montreal-olympic-stadium-migrants-us/
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 9:28pm On Aug 06, 2017
jenny2007:

Sure why not... You can travel as much as you want but you must have a genuine reason for your frequent travel to the U.S
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 9:30pm On Aug 06, 2017
Mitchely:
Point of Entry Experience at Denver International Airport on 2nd August (on an F1 Visa). I was a bit scared due to the fact I had not secured an apartment before my flight and wifey insisted on me packing some foodstuff. Declared everything on the form issued, and proceeded to the interview. CPB scrutinized my documents, remarked that I can very prepared with a full kitchen, I replied with a smile that my wife made sure of that. Stamped me in after a little chit chat about when last I was in Lagos.
Thanks to this great family for all the help.....

For those traveling soon, please arrange to eat at your stopovers, I almost died of hunger on the 10hrs Lufhtensa flight from Frankfurt to Denver, meals were great, from how the other passengers were enjoying it. But for me that have been over spoilt with our Nigerian Delicacies, the instant transition to a piece of chicken in a greenish soup was just too much.
Haaa sorry.. you should have informed the FA... they will arrange something edible for you...
Congrats and have a nice stay.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ladylco: 8:57am On Aug 07, 2017
Good Morning,

Please is there a train or bus service that travels from new york to Toronto? how can I go about this and which station and I have about 3 big luggages, Please I need advise.

Thank you
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 2:36pm On Aug 07, 2017
ladylco:
Good Morning,

Please is there a train or bus service that travels from new york to Toronto? how can I go about this and which station and I have about 3 big luggages, Please I need advise.

Thank you
Ha ladyco why not plane...you should check Greyhound...or train service to the border town between U.S and Canada.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Osemwenoye: 2:49pm On Aug 07, 2017
Dear Mr. Seyewest,

Thank you for all the candid advice here. I had to postpone my trip till last week in August because of work.

I ask again, will it be a problem at POE that I am changing my destination from Florida to New York? Still vacation but will be staying with a friend in New York instead of a hotel in Florida.

Thank you all!!!
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 3:40pm On Aug 07, 2017
Osemwenoye:
Dear Mr. Seyewest,

Thank you for all the candid advice here. I had to postpone my trip till last week in August because of work.

I ask again, will it be a problem at POE that I am changing my destination from Florida to New York? Still vacation but will be staying with a friend in New York instead of a hotel in Florida.

Thank you all!!!
No not at all.. just give them a good reason why you're changing your destination from Florida to New York. Also before you mention your friend at POE ask your friend about how he got to U.S it's important.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by valeria: 4:25pm On Aug 07, 2017
seyewest:

No not at all.. just give them a good reason why you're changing your destination from Florida to New York. Also before you mention your friend at POE ask your friend about how he got to U.S it's important.

Thank you very much sir. Yes i know how he got there. God bless you!
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by john20177: 6:57pm On Aug 07, 2017
KaptainAfrika:
The US is not safe for ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS any-more. LEGAL IMMIGRANTS are welcomed to the US. If this was the case as you claimed, this forum will have dried up and the large crowds outside the US Embassy would have dwindled. Also, a more respectable source like AP, CNN (despite their fake news), UNITED NATIONS should be quoted not 'blogs'.

Since you're so sure to differentiate between legal and illegal migrants, is this how Obama administration handled the immigration issues? By claiming to build a wall and Mexico will pay for it, because he's the messiah the holy book promised. And if you care to check the news, it's not just a blog, Reuters and al jazera mentioned , that's if you read real news at all since you made it obvious you engage well with fake news. Sorry I had to modify the comment since I thought that if you didn't hear or see the news, then you don't even listen to news so why tame it fake
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by asid(m): 7:15pm On Aug 07, 2017
john20177:
Since you're so sure to differentiate between legal and illegal migrants, is this how Obama administration handled the immigration issues? By claiming to build a wall and Mexico will pay for it, because he's the messiah the holy book promised. And if you care to check the news, it's not just a blog, Reuters and al jazera mentioned , that's if you read real news at all since you made it obvious you engage well with fake news. Sorry I had to modify the comment since I thought that if you didn't hear or see the news, then you don't even listen to news so why tame it fake

Posting the link to Reuter or Al would have been a better option, to your lengthy write-up, which I must say is confusing as one can't figure what message you're actually trying to pass.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by 9jaStar: 5:35am On Aug 08, 2017
Can you at least write like a 33 year old rather than a 15 year old teenager? And I say this with all due respect
What is 'Hux' or 'cox'?

Bawo4199:
Seyewest... Good morning Hux, pls I get a visa(family of 5 me my wife and 3 sons) to attend my cousins wedding for 12 August in Atlanta. I have 10000 dollars with me and I have booked my hotel. What's burdering me is that I have a baby face am 33 years old) same age with my wife) and married early Cox God is faithful to me but I look way younger like 25 years old... Hope am good to go? Also I bought 10 good jeans 5 sneakers, 10 marker and 5 belts as a gift for him Cox whn he came I. Last December he did a lot of shopping here claiming original products are expensive over there. Hope it's OK?

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by 9jaStar: 5:38am On Aug 08, 2017
And no way cheap clothes are more expensive in the USA.
If he is buying designer items in season, they are just as expensive in Nigeria if not more.
If he wants to buy them out of season and less expensive, he should try Ross or Kohl's, Burlington Coat Factory or even TJ Maxx

seyewest:

$1000 will not be enough for a family of 5 except you have no plan to do anything except eat and stay in the hotel...
About your look, is your picture in the passport data page and visa page? if it's yours why are you worried?
We all know original cloths are cheaper in U.S than Nigeria but it's your decision to buy those things for him.
Please keep us posted when you get to U.S and safe journey to U.S
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by 9jaStar: 5:47am On Aug 08, 2017
My advice to you is always try to get to the airport early. Not only do you avoid the long queues, but you also get through Immigration and Customs faster.
If anyone tries to obtain you, just smile politely and say no. They won't delay you.
On one of my return trips back to Nigeria this year, one chap was asked for 'something'. Rather than quietly say no and continue on his way, this gentleman (I get the feeling he is one of those who has lived abroad for a little while and prepped for this on his way in) started one bug drama at the airport.
He was screaming loudly about how he has nothing to give anybody, how they have been asking him since he got off the plane and this is what the problem of this country is.
Unfortunately for him, he had about 6 bags or so. The officers insisted on inspecting every single bag, and took their bloody time about it. Customs first then NDLEA.
I found out later from one of the workers at the airport that the guy was there almost till midnight while they 'inspected' his bags. By the end, he was the one begging them to 'take something' and let him go.
And then they now charged him for attempting to bribe an officer

PHOOMI:

5 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by 9jaStar: 5:51am On Aug 08, 2017
Ahhh, you're one of. those who believe that yarn Trump has been spinning?
Tell me, have you kept count of the number of times Mr Trump has actually told THE TRUTH?

KaptainAfrika:

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by moonraker(m): 5:55am On Aug 08, 2017
9jaStar:
My advice to you is always try to get to the airport early. Not only do you avoid the long queues, but you also get through Immigration and Customs faster.
If anyone tries to obtain you, just smile politely and say no. They won't delay you.
On one of my return trips back to Nigeria this year, one chap was asked for 'something'. Rather than quietly say no and continue on his way, this gentleman (I get the feeling he is one of those who has lived abroad for a little while and prepped for this on his way in) started one bug drama at the airport.
He was screaming loudly about how he has nothing to give anybody, how they have been asking him since he got off the plane and this is what the problem of this country is.
Unfortunately for him, he had about 6 bags or so. The officers insisted on inspecting every single bag, and took their bloody time about it. Customs first then NDLEA.
I found out later from one of the workers at the airport that the guy was there almost till midnight while they 'inspected' his bags. By the end, he was the one begging them to 'take something' and let him go.
And then they now charged him for attempting to bribe an officer

Aya Caramba

That's some shitty story
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by john20177: 10:12am On Aug 08, 2017
asid:

Posting the link to Reuter or Al would have been a better option, to your lengthy write-up, which I must say is confusing as one can't figure what message you're actually trying to pass.
As your news app or what? you sound dump anyway
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by asid(m): 10:30am On Aug 08, 2017
john20177:

As your news app or what? you sound dump anyway

I "sound" "dump", says all about your person.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by KaptainAfrika: 10:34am On Aug 08, 2017
CNN is fake news. How many times have they had to apologise for reporting as genuine, things that turned out to be fake. I would leave the research to you, as I would die of laughter at the 'WE WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGISE FOR EARLIER REPORTS, THE ANONYMOUS SOURCES WE QUOTED TURNED OUT TO BE FALSE.'
Heck even Wolf Blizter, a veteran journalist with CNN, ON AIR, corrected a fellow presenter on presenting unconfirmed sources, as a legitimate source. GEEZ!

9jaStar:
Ahhh, you're one of. those who believe that yarn Trump has been spinning?
Tell me, have you kept count of the number of times Mr Trump has actually told THE TRUTH?

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by KaptainAfrika: 10:37am On Aug 08, 2017
THE US WELCOMES LEGAL IMMIGRANTS, AND RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DETERMINE WHO TO LET INTO THEIR COUNTRY. I AM VERY SURE YOU HAVE A DOOR THAT LEADS INTO YOUR HOUSE, BUT I AM ALSO SURE, YOU DON'T JUST LEAVE IT WIDE OPEN FOR EVERY ADAMU, BABATUNDE AND CHINEDU TO ENTER. DO YOU?!

john20177:
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by john20177: 11:14am On Aug 08, 2017
KaptainAfrika:
THE US WELCOMES LEGAL IMMIGRANTS, AND RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DETERMINE WHO TO LET INTO THEIR COUNTRY. I AM VERY SURE YOU HAVE A DOOR THAT LEADS INTO YOUR HOUSE, BUT I AM ALSO SURE, YOU DON'T JUST LEAVE IT WIDE OPEN FOR EVERY ADAMU, BABATUNDE AND CHINEDU TO ENTER. DO YOU?!

Migration is as old as mankind. It's true everyone has different strategy of solving problems, but not in the cost of others peace. If you have sympathy, you'd prefer the Obama pattern of solving immigration issues than Trump's.
"YOU DON'T JUST LEAVE IT WIDE OPEN FOR EVERY ADAMU, BABATUNDE AND CHINEDU TO ENTER. DO YOU?!" your words.
Let me ask you, when the Westerners started flooding Africa, Asia and some part of South America for whatever reasons best not mention. Were they really invited ? Well, we choose to forget and ignore because history is violent.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by uniquema: 2:58pm On Aug 08, 2017
Hello House,

Can I travel to the US with a carton of Golden Morn.
Also will I need a transit visa if I am using British airways.

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (145) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.