Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,033 members, 7,818,047 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. - Travel (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. (493408 Views)

Canada Port of entry interview /experience / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 2:41pm On Jul 27, 2017
Mitchely:
Good Evening all, please I need some advice. Will an F1 visa holder be required to show where he will be permanently residing at POE? I plan to book a place (hotel or inn or airbnb) for just one week, and then sort out my apartment after arrival. Hope this will not be a red flag as I filled university campus on my DS-160, but had to change to an off campus residence.
I don't know much about F1 Visa but with your explanation I think getting a place for a week to sort out your accommodation is the right thing to do according to me. hopefully people will assist.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Ddarkguy: 3:49am On Jul 28, 2017
Hello Seyewest.
Thank you guys for the good work of enlightenment you do. God bless you real good.

I am a first time traveller to the US. My flight to Nashville will have a stop and lay over of about 1hr 30mins in JFK. My question is, will my POE be JFK or Nashville since the latter is also an international airport?

Thank you as I await your response
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by moonraker(m): 3:52am On Jul 28, 2017
Ddarkguy:
Hello Seyewest.
Thank you guys for the good work of enlightenment you do. God bless you real good.

I am a first time traveller to the US. My flight to Nashville will have a stop and lay over of about 1hr 30mins in JFK. My question is, will my POE be JFK or Nashville since the latter is also an international airport?

JFK

Unless your not leaving the airplane which is highly unlikely.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Ddarkguy: 3:53am On Jul 28, 2017
Hello Seyewest & Co.

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Ddarkguy: 4:04am On Jul 28, 2017
Yes. Will change airplane. My concern now is, is 1hr 30mins not too short for poe wahala and won't I miss my connecting flight? Is there a way out?

JFK

Unless your not leaving the airplane which is highly unlikely.[/quote]
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by moonraker(m): 4:05am On Jul 28, 2017
Ddarkguy:
Yes. Will change airplane. My concern now is, is 1hr 30mins not too short for poe wahala and won't I miss my connecting flight? Is there a way out?

JFK

What airline would you be using into JFK and to Nashville?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Ddarkguy: 4:09am On Jul 28, 2017
American Airlines to JFK and to Nashville but different aircrafts.
moonraker:

What airline would you be using into JFK and to Nashville?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by moonraker(m): 4:14am On Jul 28, 2017
Ddarkguy:
American Airlines to JFK and to Nashville but different aircrafts.

Huh? Guessing ur not flying in from Nigeria.

Contact the nearest American Airlines office.

If that is difficult, you can talk to the air hostess on the day of your flight

They will sort u out one way or the other.

Long story short, your in good hands.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Ddarkguy: 4:22am On Jul 28, 2017
Definitely from Lagos. Booked a BA airline with 2 stops at Heathrow and JFK. BA is changing us to AA from Heathrow to JFK and BNA.
moonraker:

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by overlord77: 4:34am On Jul 28, 2017
Ddarkguy:

JFK

Well, there wont be much wahala if you declare whatever you have correctly. The CBP officers will generally, on most times, not waste your time unless you give them reasons to. If you've got items worth looking into or otherwise, do make sure they are properly declared in the declaration card.
Also, buckle up to make a run for it. I've had a similar layover at houston to New Jersey and had to dash to catch up.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by moonraker(m): 5:21am On Jul 28, 2017
overlord77:

Well, there wont be much wahala if you declare whatever you have correctly. The CBP officers will generally, on most times, not waste your time unless you give them reasons to. If you've got items worth looking into or otherwise, do make sure they are properly declared in the declaration card.
Also, buckle up to make a run for it. I've had a similar layover at houston to New Jersey and had to dash to catch up.

What he said.

If you talk to the air hostess on the flight to JFK, the pilot will contact the ground staff. Things are much organized compared to Nigeria.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Ddarkguy: 5:41am On Jul 28, 2017
Ok. Thank you guys.
moonraker:

What he said.

If you talk to the air hostess on the flight to JFK, the pilot will contact the ground staff. Things are much organized compared to Nigeria.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Ess: 7:18am On Jul 28, 2017
smithutomi:
hello seyewest,
please I need your advice. my flight will be arriving at JFK by 3.25pm. I want to make booking for greyhound bus scheduled for either (5:15pm or 10:15pm). i don't know how long I will spend at the airport POE. so please, which of the time (5:15pm or 10:15pm) do you suggest I book for?...looking forward to your response.
Regards

If I were you I would definitely do the 5:15pm.
You can contact the company NOW to confirm if you can do a free change just in case you get delayed because mostly these buses don't get filled.

2 hours is ok if there is no delay with the flight or at the airport and also it depends on where the bus terminal is located at.
At times your flight can arrive earlier than the time specified.
So make more inquiries to make an informed decision based on these points.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by KaptainAfrika: 1:58pm On Jul 28, 2017
1. POE WILL BE JFK
2. YOU PROBABLY SHOULD GET A FLIGHT WITH A LONGER LAYOVER, IN-CASE YOU ARE DELAYED AT CBP OR IF THE TERMINAL IS LOCATED AT ANOTHER SIDE OF THE AIRPORT OR BOTH SCENARIOS.
3. IF YOU MISS YOUR FLIGHT DUE TO CBP, YOU ARE QUALIFIED FOR THE NEXT FLIGHT FREE APART FROM THE CHARGES YOU WOULD HAVE PAID FOR THE FLIGHT, CHECK TO CONFIRM THIS THOUGH.

Ddarkguy:
Hello Seyewest & Co.

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 5:33pm On Jul 28, 2017
moonraker:

Don't worry just let them know you have a short layover.. they will make arrangement for you in case you miss your next flight.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by 9jaStar: 5:08am On Jul 29, 2017
In any case, even if you end up missing your flight, they'll put you on another one

Ddarkguy:
Ok. Thank you guys.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Ddarkguy: 5:48am On Jul 29, 2017
You guys have succeeded in dousing my worry. God bless you.
9jaStar:
In any case, even if you end up missing your flight, they'll put you on another one

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Mitchely: 10:07am On Jul 29, 2017
seyewest:

I don't know much about F1 Visa but with your explanation I think getting a place for a week to sort out your accommodation is the right thing to do according to me. hopefully people will assist.
Thanks for your response.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Astonestone: 12:03pm On Jul 29, 2017
Hello
Please I need to confirm if I can take these food items to America, if not please let me know

- Chinchin
-Plantain Flour (for swallow)
-Maggi Star
-Grinded Crayfish
-Curry

Please help as I want to pack. I leave in a few days thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Osemwenoye: 8:36pm On Jul 29, 2017
Hello Everyone in the house.
I got my visa in January to visit Orlando but couldn't travel at that time for some work issues.
Now I am traveling to New York for vacation this summer. I have enough cash to sponsor my trip.
Any idea what to expect, I am traveling on Wednesday.
Thank you for your support
Pls help a sister
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by KaptainAfrika: 9:34pm On Jul 29, 2017
The Abuja VO said that once you arrive at a POE different from the one you filled, it will invite greater scrutiny. But I think, you won't have an issue if you said you were going to Orlando for vacation but now you wish to go to New York for vacation.
1. You will be asked why New York and not Orlando

Osemwenoye:
I got my visa in January to visit Orlando but couldn't travel at that time for some work issues.
Now I am traveling to New York for vacation this summer. I have enough cash to sponsor my trip.
Pls help a sister
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by yankison(m): 10:13pm On Jul 29, 2017
please i want to know if they do grant visa for group visitation , someone is trying to link me but the person is not asking me to pay nor asking me for document , just to pay visa fee .. but i make payment after i get my visa
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Tempelof: 12:43am On Jul 30, 2017
Thanks be to God, just landed in Houston, the Cbp officer only asked two questions : how long are you staying and do you have anything to declare, we said no. then welcome to the United States. I wanna thank everyone who contributed to this forum, most especially Seyewest. My advice, stick to what you filled in the form.

6 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by leyemok(m): 2:36am On Jul 30, 2017
I got visa to attend a conference taking place btw 25th and 27th sept. I filled 22nd as my arrival date on the ds160 form. The problem here is my employer booked me for another conference taking place in the same city between 9-14 august cos they feel its also very relevant and already booked a returning flight for that. They want me to attend the august conference, return back to Nigeria on 16th of august and then leave for the sept one on 22nd to return 1st Oct. I am just curious if there won't be any issues with these arrangements at POE.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Osemwenoye: 1:21pm On Jul 30, 2017
Tempelof:
Thanks be to God, just landed in Houston, the Cbp officer only asked two questions : how long are you staying and do you have anything to declare, we said no. then welcome to the United States. I wanna thank everyone who contributed to this forum, most especially Seyewest. My advice, stick to what you filled in the form.

Good to hear that. Which form are you referring to? DS160?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 6:12pm On Jul 30, 2017
Astonestone:
Hello
Please I need to confirm if I can take these food items to America, if not please let me know

- Chinchin
-Plantain Flour (for swallow)
-Maggi Star
-Grinded Crayfish
-Curry

Please help as I want to pack. I leave in a few days thanks
Are you going on a visit visa or business? How long are you staying for?
You can carry anything just declare it and they will decide on which one to take or leave with you. Meanwhile you've to becareful with traveling to U.S with foodstuffs because it will lead to automatic secondary screening.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 6:19pm On Jul 30, 2017
Osemwenoye:
Pls help a sister
I see no issue here let them know why you're visiting New York not Florida.
Safe Journey and keep us posted.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 6:27pm On Jul 30, 2017
yankison:
please i want to know if they do grant visa for group visitation , someone is trying to link me but the person is not asking me to pay nor asking me for document , just to pay visa fee .. but i make payment after i get my visa
Please this thread is for people with visa.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 6:32pm On Jul 30, 2017
Tempelof:
Great
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 6:43pm On Jul 30, 2017
leyemok:
I got visa to attend a conference taking place btw 25th and 27th sept. I filled 22nd as my arrival date on the ds160 form. The problem here is my employer booked me for another conference taking place in the same city between 9-14 august cos they feel its also very relevant and already booked a returning flight for that. They want me to attend the august conference, return back to Nigeria on 16th of august and then leave for the sept one on 22nd to return 1st Oct. I am just curious if there won't be any issues with these arrangements at POE.
You need a lot of explanation and get in touch with the August conference organizer let them know you will need letter of invitation and any other document...including hotel reservation and hold cash ooo
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Osemwenoye: 7:38pm On Jul 30, 2017
seyewest:

I see no issue here let them know why you're visiting New York not Florida.
Safe Journey and keep us posted.

Thank you Mr. Seyewest. I forgot to mention that I will be staying with a friend in New York. I mentioned his name as my U.S contact during the application.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by leyemok(m): 8:47pm On Jul 30, 2017
seyewest:

You need a lot of explanation and get in touch with the August conference organizer let them know you will need letter of invitation and any other document...including hotel reservation and hold cash ooo
I got invitation letter for the August conference and I'll be staying at the school residence. Company's budget for upkeep is $1300. I hope that's good enough? Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (145) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.