Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

The Irony Of Religion - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Irony Of Religion (2909 Views)

Thank God For Slavery- A Case Of Religion Turning Blacks To Fools / Hypocrisy And Irony Of The Christian Religion / Atheists Are More Intelligent ‘because They Overcome The Instinct Of Religion' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Irony Of Religion by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:02pm On Mar 29, 2017
RosaConsidine:

While this is certainly the truth, we can't fault religion for it. Religion did not refuse to fix bad roads - people did. Religion did not refuse to fix crumbling schools - human beings did. Religion did not even ask for these shiny buildings, neither did it erect them - again, it's the product of human minds and hands.

I think why religion takes so much precedence over rational thought and hard work in this country is because, let's face it - it's much easier and we are an incredibly lazy AND hypocritical bunch. It's easier to go to church to pray that God makes our leaders do the right thing than to hit the streets and actually demand for better leadership. It's easier to ask God tp help you get good grades than to study hard and learn. It's easier to believe that God did tell that pastor to tell us to bring money for a private jet than to confront the pastor and his ostentatious lifestyle. It's easier to believe that some people in our villages our manipulating our destinies and are the reason for our failure than to admit that we've done a lot of things wrong that are causing things to go wrong in our lives. So for the average Nigerian, subconsciously, religion is the easiest option as against rational thought, planning and real hard work.

I'll finish with a little case study I've observed: some pastors in church programs I've attended would come on the pulpit and say God said that s certain number of people should bring a certain amount of money and in one week, God will return that amount to them tenfold. Of course, like MMM, people would troop out. Who doesn't want more money for doing basically no work at all. Come meet our god, the money doubler! I found it curious that of all these situations, not one of these people have come back to testify that God indeed doubled their money or returned it tenfold. Does it say God does not have the power to do that? No, but if I were God I wouldn't double their money either because I can tell that almost all of them are giving because they want huge returns without doing any actual work. Till Nigerian stop being greedy and treating religion like a ponzi scheme, these scenarios would continue to happen.
You are on point.
Even God himself said in the Bible "faith without work is dead".....

It is also easy to blame religion on the ills of the society.
Re: The Irony Of Religion by Ishilove: 8:02pm On Mar 29, 2017
joseph1832:
Shhhhhh don't tell anyone. grin
Lips sealed grin
Re: The Irony Of Religion by joseph1832(m): 8:05pm On Mar 29, 2017
Ishilove:

Lips sealed grin
Allow me to part it with my fingers, and tease the tip with my tongue. wink
Re: The Irony Of Religion by Ishilove: 8:10pm On Mar 29, 2017
joseph1832:
Joseph take several seats to the left grin
Re: The Irony Of Religion by joseph1832(m): 8:13pm On Mar 29, 2017
Ishilove:

Joseph take several seats to the left grin
If those seat will lead me to those ample bosoms of yours, I'd gladly take them.

I might bring a prophylactic though, hoping I'd get lucky and hit crude oil. wink grin
Re: The Irony Of Religion by hopefulLandlord: 8:18pm On Mar 29, 2017
hahn:

Just like you should meet ishilove smiley
does Ishi.love and I have anything in common?
Re: The Irony Of Religion by hahn(m): 10:16pm On Mar 29, 2017
Ishilove:

I'm experiencing all the reality I can handle right now.

I just think hahn is a closet romantic. A douche bag, but a romantic nonetheless. He is matchmaking me with all the douchey atheists on Nairaland.

How quaint.

I am romantic ooo

I love my wife scarra grin
Re: The Irony Of Religion by hahn(m): 10:17pm On Mar 29, 2017
joseph1832:
May be cos you need a dose of reality. Ain't that right, hahn. I know most religious folks are alien to reality. grin cheesy

Lol. She needs *in bernie mac's voice* THE DICK tongue
Re: The Irony Of Religion by hahn(m): 10:18pm On Mar 29, 2017
Ishilove:

Why are you bent on matchmaking me with all your atheist comrades? Seriously I'm curious

Oh my bad! I always confuse hardmirror and hopefullandlord

No vex

Hardmirror come ooo cheesy grin
Re: The Irony Of Religion by Ishilove: 11:38pm On Mar 29, 2017
hahn:

I am romantic ooo

I love my wife scarra grin
It is pretty obvious. You also sound like a newly wed. Congrats wink

Stop matchmaking me with Nairaland's douchebags abeg angry
Re: The Irony Of Religion by hahn(m): 11:41pm On Mar 29, 2017
Ishilove:

It is pretty obvious. You also sound like a newly wed. Congrats wink

Stop matchmaking me with Nairaland's douchebags abeg angry

4 years

I will stop smiley
Re: The Irony Of Religion by Ishilove: 11:47pm On Mar 29, 2017
hahn:

4 years

I will stop smiley
A whole 4 years and the love is still strong like this? What's the secret?
Re: The Irony Of Religion by frank317: 7:23am On Mar 30, 2017
MZLady39:

Yes that's me....I don't deal fraudently. Thank you...and He is a wonderful God. All people are fearfully & wonderfully made.

Hey u accused me of insulting you and when i asked you to show me where i did, you ran away... Perhaps you actually needed me to insult you.

Foolish woman tongue
Re: The Irony Of Religion by hopefulLandlord: 7:44am On Mar 30, 2017
frank317:

Hey u accused me of insulting you and when i asked you to show me where i did, you ran away... Perhaps you actually needed me to insult you.

Foolish woman tongue
I'm offensive and I find this religious. tongue
Re: The Irony Of Religion by Nobody: 11:28am On Mar 30, 2017
joseph1832:

Someone is fantasizing about trannies cheesy lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obsessive Atheists / See How A Pastor's Wife Expose Her Boobs Cheaply [photos] / Prophet TB Joshua Prophesy About Explosion, Crash And Death Coming Soon.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.