Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,081 members, 7,818,238 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up (1359 Views)

3 Better Ways To Tell A Co-worker “you Screwed Up” / My Interview Fright And Lesson Learnt / I Am Fed Up, How I Missed My Interview Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by kateskitty(f): 4:38pm On Mar 08, 2017
I just had an interesting job interview today and every thing was going really well until they asked that much dreadful question cry

How much do we pay you?
No matter how many times I hear that question or rehears my answer, I always find a way to Fu?k up my answer.

Before I say anything further, this role is for someone with experience which I have, so why on earth will I be calling 70k for an experienced position. Even some entry level position pay 6 figures, now I'm afraid they wouldn't call me back because they think I'm a joke to have said 70k.
And if you are wondering what happened that I said 70k that's because when I was asked that question, I was thinking about something else the number 70 was the first number that popped into my head
Sh!t
Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by DLondonboiy: 4:42pm On Mar 08, 2017
70k? Weekly? They would call you... angry

1 Like

Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by OgidiOlu3(m): 4:44pm On Mar 08, 2017
It's alright dear. You'll be fine smiley . If you answered their questions well and confidently, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't call you.
Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by MathsChic(f): 4:47pm On Mar 08, 2017
kateskitty:
I just had an interesting job interview today and every thing was going really well until they asked that much dreadful question cry

How much do we pay you?
No matter how many times I hear that question or rehears my answer, I always find a way to Fu?k up my answer.

Before I say anything further, this role is for someone with experience which I have, so why on earth will I be calling 70k for an experienced position. Even some entry level position pay 6 figures, now I'm afraid they wouldn't call me back because they think I'm a joke to have said 70k.
And if you are wondering what happened that I said 70k that's because when I was asked that question, I was thinking about something else the number 70 was the first number that popped into my head
Sh!t
Since the question has always bothered you, you'd have done well to prepare a ready answer for all your interviews na. The key is to not say a number as this either overestimates or underestimates you.

2 Likes

Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by TITOBIGZ(m): 4:49pm On Mar 08, 2017
kateskitty:

How much do we pay you?

Sh!t
So you are even fellow a nairalander. gringrin

2 Likes

Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by chiefololade: 5:01pm On Mar 08, 2017
TITOBIGZ:

Lol
Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by ephi123(f): 5:04pm On Mar 08, 2017
kateskitty:

How much do we pay you?

Sh!t

Don't panic. Although you stated that figure, it does not necessarily mean that is what they will pay you. Just be calm about it, there is no point beating yourself up over something you can't change.

1 Like

Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by dhantey324(m): 5:15pm On Mar 08, 2017
Try not to bother yourself much... Learn your lesson, do your investigations on d pay and be focused next time.
Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by sholay2011(m): 8:28pm On Mar 08, 2017
TITOBIGZ:

Lmao
Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by Originalsly: 5:54am On Mar 09, 2017
What's the problem?..... if a beginner gets like 100k... then 300K shouldn't be bad for you. They asked how much.... didn't say salary. You said 70K.... didn't say salary. Let them know it was a misunderstanding..... your figure was per week..not month.
Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by deejerrydee: 7:47am On Mar 09, 2017
grin grin Abeg, no give the lady HBP.
She'd say to herself "So, they're even here...I'm finished". grin

TITOBIGZ:

2 Likes

Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by deejerrydee: 7:47am On Mar 09, 2017
grin grin Abeg, no give the lady HBP.
She'd say to herself "So, they're even here...I'm finished". grin

TITOBIGZ:

3 Likes

Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by 1forall: 12:50pm On Mar 09, 2017
kateskitty:

How much do we pay you?

Sh!t

The deed's done so just keep your fingers crossed and send in a follow up email/call on Monday to know status.
Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by himkers2: 1:52pm On Mar 09, 2017
what sort of job is that? now tell us.. cheesy
Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by yemmight(m): 4:50pm On Mar 09, 2017
That question is a standard and regular any recruiter set out to ask. It is very important for anyone to place a price on oneself. You need to know your worth. Don’t over price and don’t under price yourself. Clearly, if your performance at the interview was fantastic, irrespective of the salary you requested for, an offer will still be presented to you and you can either reject or accept such.

1 Like

Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by kateskitty(f): 5:45pm On Mar 09, 2017
yemmight:
That question is a standard and regular any recruiter set out to ask. It is very important for anyone to place a price on oneself. You need to know your worth. Don’t over price and don’t under price yourself. Clearly, if your performance at the interview was fantastic, irrespective of the salary you requested for, an offer will still be presented to you and you can either reject or accept such.
But this is a private company, what are the odds that they will make an offer higher than my quote.
Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by yemmight(m): 12:06pm On Mar 10, 2017
kateskitty:

But this is a private company, what are the odds that they will make an offer higher than my quote.

There is always a structure. If u under price yourself, structure will put you in the right salary scale.
Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by Laird(m): 9:40pm On May 21, 2017
Rule in job interview I learnt: Never tell Your past salaries...just tell the Interviewers that Job Salaries are Confidential and private but reflect a fair value if Your skill and contribution to the Organisation

Also when asked how much You want to be paid, NEVER MENTION A FIGURE; ALWAYS JUST SAY THAT THE ORGANISATION SHOULD PAY YOU WHAT REPRESENTS A FAIR MARKET VALUE OF YOUR SKILLS AND CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE ORGANISATION...... ( NEVER MENTION A FIGURE NO MATTER HOW PERSISTENT THE INTERVIEWER ASKS)

The employer already knows the Salary they are ready to pay so don't say Your opinion.....if You get the job and the salary is not to your taste, You can decline the job
Re: My Interview Today And I Think I Screwed Up by fannybaby(f): 2:39am On May 22, 2017
wink

(1) (Reply)

I Am Going For Civil Engineering. Any Advice? / Study These Courses In University Of Calabar Without Jamb / Bsc Nursing Or Bsc Computer Science?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.