Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,430 members, 7,954,687 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:15 AM

Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) (998 Views)

Help!!! vanguard Site (vanguardngr.com) Don Give Me Pc Virus O! / Vanguard Finally Tops Nigeria Local & Global Traffic Rank / Vanguard Beats Nairaland To Become Most Visited Nigerian Site (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) by yawatide(f): 12:57pm On Dec 16, 2009
Many of you may have probably seen this already but I saw this today and have been elated ever since: SMS-to-web classifieds. Simply text your ad to a certain number and it shows up on their site (I assume automatically). It costs N50 per ad and runs for 24 hours. How cool is that?

This is the type of innovation I am talking about. Not to be cloning facebook and saying stuff like, "this is how zuckerberg started" or "google did it too and they are worth a billion dollars" .

Let's be original people tongue
Re: Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) by 212blaze(m): 1:12pm On Dec 16, 2009
it depends on where on their site that the ad is gonta be in. If they hide your ad in one lonely part of their site then it wont make sense
Re: Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) by yawatide(f): 3:51pm On Dec 16, 2009
I would post a url but don't want to get flagged for spam tongue

Granted I don't like the placement, it is a huge gray area on their home page. Obviously, if you text in late, you will be on the last page. the cool thing is that it is like google ads - when you click the next page, the next set of ads show in place - no refreshing.

Regardless, considering what the typical online paper charges for ads, I would take N50 for an ad for 24 hours on pretty much anywhere on their site.

This is what punch should have done, instead of charging for news cool
Re: Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) by 212blaze(m): 4:52pm On Dec 16, 2009
sharply place link now.abeg pleaseeeeeeee
Re: Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) by yawatide(f): 5:08pm On Dec 16, 2009
www dot vanguardngr dot com - search for "Vanguard SMS-to-Web Classifieds (It's on the home page. You can't miss it)"
Re: Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) by pie1ect(m): 5:36pm On Dec 16, 2009
I saw it too. Its looks good. Innovative revenue-generator right there. Not littering the site with Google Ads that are mostly not relevant to the average Vanguard reader.
Re: Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) by 212blaze(m): 11:35pm On Dec 16, 2009
Thanks yawa.i'll check it out.
Re: Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) by HC: 9:00am On Dec 17, 2009
Nice idea. Some guys did something like that a couple of months ago, unfortunately, the website just went down.

I think it was www.textoweb.com or www.text2web.com
Re: Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) by 212blaze(m): 11:44am On Dec 17, 2009
it would be fresh if nairaland starts that stuff you know.it would be more relevant and less annoying than adsense
Re: Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) by yawatide(f): 12:25pm On Dec 17, 2009
it would be fresh if nairaland starts that stuff you know.it would be more relevant and less annoying than adsense

Granted he may not make as much money, if I were Seun, I would be saying, "hmmm, nice idea" and rubbing one of the clefts on my chin at the same time cool
Re: Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) by 212blaze(m): 2:54pm On Dec 17, 2009
To me he would.if he advertises the fact that his site has that feature.
Re: Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) by TechPros(m): 1:50am On Dec 18, 2009
creativity really is money, just an idea can turn things around. i sit back and i try to imagine how many digits this will bring in for vangaurd but i still can't get a figure. i wish i can be seun for just one month
@yawa - i think this is way better than the facebook concept, what do you think?
Re: Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) by yawatide(f): 12:16pm On Dec 18, 2009
tech pros: much better cheesy

In fact, anytime i see a post that has words to the effect that, "google/facebook was like that" or "yes,my site is bad but look at google/facebook,they are billionaires", I say to myself, "here we go again".

I think it is high time we finally put one of our very own proverbs to good use - the fingers are all not the same length. Therefore, rather aspire for what, deep down, we know we shall never be (billionaires), we should strive for the best that we can be and leave the rest for God cool
Re: Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) by ogzille(m): 5:10pm On Dec 24, 2009
Its really a good idea.
Re: Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) by Afam(m): 12:10pm On Jan 18, 2010
Had discussions with 2 clients about custom SMS projects (GSM to Web & WEB to GSM) last week and I felt these could be done.

Played around with the concept and currently testing one at http://justalternativepower.com/smsnews.php

Mind you with this solution I am using my regular GSM line without any short code or 60/40% profit sharing whatsoever. Just making use of technology to solve problems.

Lesson learned

Feel free to re-invent the wheel. The phrase "There is no point re-inventing the wheel" simply don't encourage learning and innovation.
Re: Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) by netpro(m): 7:59pm On Jan 20, 2010
@ Afam
I like that of yours too, very cool. I will like details on how I can have it implemented on www. I like the concept. (ezeali @ gmail . com 08033656489)
Re: Vanguard Online's Cool Feature (imho) by itekzone: 8:46pm On Jan 25, 2010
There is a new site called eScholar. You can send adverts in via text message. It is called Tickertron

http://escholarnig.net

The site is not fully online 24/7. It will very soon

(1) (Reply)

Admins! This Forum Is In A Bot List / Webmaster Marketing Partnership: Lets Partner And Promote Our Websites Fast / <h1>learn HTML FROM Scratch</h1>

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.