Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,809 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 (2572 Views)

The New 2019 Mercedes Benz Cls-class Is Very Impressive And Classy. (photos) / Leaked Photos Of The 2018 Benz CLS / How Good Is BENZ CLS 500 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by alabiyemmy(m): 11:19am On Mar 09, 2017
I need help please. My car wont change gear again and its stuck in Gear 1 when driving. I have checked the oil level and it seems to be ok. My mechanic is out of his wits and not sure what to do, almost 4 months with him. HELP.
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by arsenic33(m): 11:20am On Mar 09, 2017
Wish I could help
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by mejai(m): 11:38am On Mar 09, 2017
gearbox wahala loading. have it scanned
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by nurey(m): 11:47am On Mar 09, 2017
alabiyemmy:
I need help please. My car wont change gear again and its stuck in Gear 1 when driving. I have checked the oil level and it seems to be ok. My mechanic is out of his wits and not sure what to do, almost 4 months with him. HELP.

this car is not a car you just give to any technician, you need someone verse in Benz to work on it. Well if you need help, lets have your query and then we can assist
1. What year is the CLS500
2. What was done prior to the gear issue poping up
3. Have you scanned the gear to know the error its throwing
4. Did you drain or topup the gear fluid, if yes, what fluid was used

lets start from here first

1 Like

Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by king406(m): 6:43pm On Mar 09, 2017
Ive seen this issue on a w211 E500. Is it hard to remove the gear from park and into drive?
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by alabiyemmy(m): 8:26am On Mar 10, 2017
nurey:

this car is not a car you just give to any technician, you need someone verse in Benz to work on it. Well if you need help, lets have your query and then we can assist
1. What year is the CLS500
2. What was done prior to the gear issue poping up
3. Have you scanned the gear to know the error its throwing
4. Did you drain or topup the gear fluid, if yes, what fluid was used

lets start from here first

It's a 2006 cls 500 which I acquired in 2009, so I am not new to it and it has been serviced by mechanics who know their worth.

Prior to the problem, the fluid drained out due to a leaking pipe and this was fixed and everything was ok and I drove it for a while. I used star gear oil from M Benz.

I don't have the obd scanner but a couple of times before parking it with the mechanic, it has been scanned and it was saying valve body, but after buying and changing the valve body, the trouble continues.
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by nurey(m): 9:20am On Mar 10, 2017
alabiyemmy:

It's a 2006 cls 500 which I acquired in 2009, so I am not new to it and it has been serviced by mechanics who know their worth.

Prior to the problem, the fluid drained out due to a leaking pipe and this was fixed and everything was ok and I drove it for a while. I used star gear oil from M Benz.

I don't have the obd scanner but a couple of times before parking it with the mechanic, it has been scanned and it was saying valve body, but after buying and changing the valve body, the trouble continues.

ok good, the expert you need on nairaland now is Kashif. He is the gear guru, i have mentioned him, i hope he will assist you in unraveling your gear mystery.

you can also contact him personally
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by alabiyemmy(m): 9:30am On Mar 10, 2017
king406:
Ive seen this issue on a w211 E500. Is it hard to remove the gear from park and into drive?

Not at all. It just wont Select gear when on the move, it just stay in gear 1.
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by Kashif(m): 6:26pm On Mar 10, 2017
alabiyemmy:

NAG2! You may have a major repair on your hands. One thing with this transmission is that most times, you will need to reflash the TCM after repair/rebuild. It is possible that the oil shortage starved your clutches/brakes of cooling and application pressure, and toasted them.

Is it that upper gears are not being commanded, or you have flare when commanded? Do you remember the code(s) you had? Since a valvebody replacement did not solve the problem, you need to put your original valvebody back. The sump was updated in 2010, though I am not really sure why. ATF was also updated.

You need to know what the computer is telling the box.
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by mejai(m): 8:35pm On Mar 10, 2017
bros OP, d day i experienced such transmission wahala (2006 R350 4matic), d gears wouldn't select. A kazeem dealt with me by changing d gear oil. Lo and behold, d exhaust system were pushing out smoke like a rocket on lift off. grin
fast forward, d gearbox was later condemned and changed by Benz place at lekki. D amount no be here with an epistles of faults stored in der system.

look for a competent person to handle it.
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by alabiyemmy(m): 1:57pm On Mar 11, 2017
Kashif:

NAG2! You may have a major repair on your hands. One thing with this transmission is that most times, you will need to reflash the TCM after repair/rebuild. It is possible that the oil shortage starved your clutches/brakes of cooling and application pressure, and toasted them.

Is it that upper gears are not being commanded, or you have flare when commanded? Do you remember the code(s) you had? Since a valvebody replacement did not solve the problem, you need to put your original valvebody back. The sump was updated in 2010, though I am not really sure why. ATF was also updated.

You need to know what the computer is telling the box.

not sure until i see the mechanic next week.
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by ican2020: 5:02pm On Mar 11, 2017
My E230, 2001 model is having similar issue, though a little different.
The gear will get to 3 and at times gear 4, without getting to gear 5.
Note: At times when driving, the gear will enter neutral, I will then park, off the engine, before moving again.
For now, the car is parked, till I know that exact step to take.
I was told to change the "Gear Brainbox"
Will this solve the problem?
Do I go for computer scan before taken any step?
Experts here should help, please.
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by Denn(m): 9:59pm On Mar 11, 2017
alabiyemmy:

I don't think the codes will just say 'Valve Body'. There are many components on the valve body.

Secondly, you seem to have a 722.9 tranny and a valve body swap alone is not the repair process.

It is evident you need a new technician for your car's tranny problem.

You can visit my workshop for a proper diagnosis and repair. Location is Abule Egba, Lagos

NB: fixing a 722.9 tranny is not cheap. Diagnosis, coding, flashing, relearning etc would cost you at least 60k to 100k and this does not include cost of hardware components like the TCM,Valve Body or the complete transmission as a whole (depending on damage). Genuine Star oil costs over 4,000 per litre and you would need 8 litres average plus a new OEM filter.
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by mayor2013: 1:10am On Mar 12, 2017
am sorry @ op. You need to change your gearbox and stop wasting money around. A client of mine had same issue on brnz c240 2004 and it happened the oil leaked out basically because the connection from the radiator to the gearbox was weak. In the end we had the almighty fault error "incorrect gear ratio" though d benz terminology is different. Came up with almost all sensors and switches being bad when scanned. Immediately I told him to have the gear box changed and he did and has been using it, have your car scanned first
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by alabiyemmy(m): 8:50pm On Mar 12, 2017
Denn:

I don't think the codes will just say 'Valve Body'. There are many components on the valve body.

Secondly, you seem to have a 722.9 tranny and a valve body swap alone is not the repair process.

It is evident you need a new technician for your car's tranny problem.

You can visit my workshop for a proper diagnosis and repair. Location is Abule Egba, Lagos

NB: fixing a 722.9 tranny is not cheap. Diagnosis, coding, flashing, relearning etc would cost you at least 60k to 100k and this does not include cost of hardware components like the TCM,Valve Body or the complete transmission as a whole (depending on damage). Genuine Star oil costs over 4,000 per litre and you would need 8 litres average plus a new OEM filter.

Unfortunately the car is in Abuja as I don't live in Lagos.
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by alabiyemmy(m): 8:54pm On Mar 12, 2017
ican2020:
My E230, 2001 model is having similar issue, though a little different.
The gear will get to 3 and at times gear 4, without getting to gear 5.
Note: At times when driving, the gear will enter neutral, I will then park, off the engine, before moving again.
For now, the car is parked, till I know that exact step to take.
I was told to change the "Gear Brainbox"
Will this solve the problem?
Do I go for computer scan before taken any step?
Experts here should help, please.

Yes brother. An initial scan is always helpful.
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by alabiyemmy(m): 8:55pm On Mar 12, 2017
mayor2013:
am sorry @ op. You need to change your gearbox and stop wasting money around. A client of mine had same issue on brnz c240 2004 and it happened the oil leaked out basically because the connection from the radiator to the gearbox was weak. In the end we had the almighty fault error "incorrect gear ratio" though d benz terminology is different. Came up with almost all sensors and switches being bad when scanned. Immediately I told him to have the gear box changed and he did and has been using it, have your car scanned first

Good talk.
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by alabiyemmy(m): 8:57pm On Mar 12, 2017
mejai:
bros OP, d day i experienced such transmission wahala (2006 R350 4matic), d gears wouldn't select. A kazeem dealt with me by changing d gear oil. Lo and behold, d exhaust system were pushing out smoke like a rocket on lift off. grin
fast forward, d gearbox was later condemned and changed by Benz place at lekki. D amount no be here with an epistles of faults stored in der system.

look for a competent person to handle it.

Maybe take it to Mercedes Benz in Abuja?
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by Nobody: 3:26am On Mar 13, 2017
I wish that this thread can be stickered.

It's a perfect example why a simple vehicle is what is needed by most in Nigeria.

Don't buy these high caliber vehicles because they are cheap to buy, it's the TCO that's important.
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by alabiyemmy(m): 11:29am On Mar 13, 2017
EgunMogaji:
I wish that this thread can be stickered.

It's a perfect example why a simple vehicle is what is needed by most in Nigeria.

Don't buy these high caliber vehicles because they are cheap to buy, it's the TCO that's important.

I completely dis agree with your assertion. I have used and maintained this car since 2009 without complain, I should have let it go for another model since, but for the love i have for it. It is a mechanical machine, so faults are expected. i have no regret, even if i cant fix it ever, I have used my money from it. Anybody who love them, and can afford to buy them and maintain, continue to buy them please.

2 Likes

Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by Nobody: 2:52pm On Mar 13, 2017
alabiyemmy:

I completely dis agree with your assertion. I have used and maintained this car since 2009 without complain, I should have let it go for another model since, but for the love i have for it. It is a mechanical machine, so faults are expected. i have no regret, even if i cant fix it ever, I have used my money from it. Anybody who love them, and can afford to buy them and maintain, continue to buy them please.

It's okay to disagree but the cognitive amongst the readership will notice that I did not say no one should buy them.

With an estimated 20 or so various Mercedes that's passed through my stable I know a thing or two about the brand.

My thesis wasn't to bash the brand and I suspect that you know that.
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by BOUNTYDOG(m): 3:15pm On Mar 13, 2017
alabiyemmy:

Nice one
Your problem might not be gear,
You have to run a comprehensive scan on the car and correct all errors to conclude its the gear

it could be speed sensors
ABS issues causing the car to limp mode
fix the little things 1st before u can dabble the tranny,and if u must do tranny better do a total replacement rather than the valve body
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by alabiyemmy(m): 4:52pm On Mar 13, 2017
EgunMogaji:

It's okay to disagree but the cognitive amongst the readership will notice that I did not say no one should buy them.

With an estimated 20 or so various Mercedes that's passed through my stable I know a thing or two about the brand.

My thesis wasn't to bash the brand and I suspect that you know that.

I do brother
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by alabiyemmy(m): 4:53pm On Mar 13, 2017
BOUNTYDOG:

Nice one
Your problem might not be gear,
You have to run a comprehensive scan on the car and correct all errors to conclude its the gear

it could be speed sensors
ABS issues causing the car to limp mode
fix the little things 1st before u can dabble the tranny,and if u must do tranny better do a total replacement rather than the valve body

The speed sensor was also a suspect.
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by alabiyemmy(m): 3:32pm On Apr 18, 2017
Just an update on the issue with my car. It happened to be an electrical issue somewhere. It's now sorted. Thanks all.
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by ironheart(m): 6:16pm On Apr 18, 2017
alabiyemmy:
Just an update on the issue with my car. It happened to be an electrical issue somewhere. It's now sorted. Thanks all.
.am here to pull your ear, NEVER ALLOW ANYONE MESSUP YOUR ELECTRICAL. U where saved from spending unnecessary money before getting fedup
. Never allow anyone di cut and join wire in ur car. Wishing u a jolly good driving smiley
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by alabiyemmy(m): 10:35am On Apr 19, 2017
ironheart:
.am here to pull your ear, NEVER ALLOW ANYONE MESSUP YOUR ELECTRICAL. U where saved from spending unnecessary money before getting fedup
. Never allow anyone di cut and join wire in ur car. Wishing u a jolly good driving smiley

ok o. i don hear.....Thanks mate.
Re: My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 by bissalla: 4:09pm On Apr 19, 2017
Your problem is likely a transmission control unit problem. I am currently fixing same problem for my GLK 350. After all assessments, we thought it was the gear box, until the electrical experts looked at it and concluded its the TCU. If you are in Abuja let me know so I can refer you to the guys fixing my car.

(1) (Reply)

Witnessed Skidding/180 Degree Spin On The Highway! / Please Help Between Lexus GS350 2015, Lexus Is350 2015 And The Lexus ES350 2015 / Nissan Altima Issue - P1777

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.