Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment (19851 Views)

12 Steps To Clear A Car Through Nigeria Customs / Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars / No Duty Payment No Plate Number Issuance - Customsng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by AutoReportNG2: 12:26pm On Mar 09, 2017
In response to public complaints and suggestions, the Comptroller-General of Customs, Col. Hameed Ibrahim Ali (Rtd) has approved the adjustment of points of payment and 60% rebate across the board from 2015 downward to ease the process and encourage all motor dealers in the position of uncustomed vehicles to come forward and pay duty.

2. While the grace period remains Monday 13th March to Wednesday 12th April, the points of payments with the exception of Lagos and Port Harcourt will now be the nearest Customs Area Command.

3. Motor dealers in Lagos are to pay their duties at Zone ‘A’ Headquarters, No. 1 Harvey Road, Yaba and Federal Operations Unit, Zone ‘A’, Ikeja. While in Port Harcourt, auto duty payment will be at Zone ‘C’ Headquarters, Nigeria Ports Authority.

4. In the same vein, private vehicle owners who know that duty has not been paid on their vehicles could take advantage of this grace period to do so, therefore owners of such vehicles or their representatives are expected to go to the nearest pay-point for assessment and payment. It should however be noted that the 60% rebate applies only within the grace period.

5. For the avoidance of doubt, the decision to grant a grace period for auto duty payment was not a sudden and arbitrary one, but a product of consultations and long standing engagement with Leadership of Association of Motor Dealers of Nigeria (AMDON) who pleaded for a “window” to pay duty on all uncustomed vehicles within the Country before the ban on vehicle importation through land borders.

6. Noteworthy also is the ongoing collaboration with the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIO) and Nigeria Police Force (NPF) in the Vehicles Identification Number (VIN) Project which is another bold step by the Service to boost revenue and enhance national security. The benefit of this collaboration is that those who do not pay duty on their vehicles will not be able to obtain licence and register them in Nigeria. We believe that when all vehicles are properly registered and owners’ identities tied to them, National Security will be enhanced.

7. While expecting Motor dealers and indeed private owners of smuggled vehicles within the Country to use this grace period to pay duty, it should be noted that the Service will intensify its statutory functions of anti-smuggling operation with a view to seizing and prosecuting owners of uncustomed vehicles and other goods.

Source
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/03/nigeria-customs-releases-update-of.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by AutoReportNG2: 12:27pm On Mar 09, 2017
To all the car owners... Time to act fast.

AutoReportNG is offering free VIN, Vehicle History for first 20 people that comment on our website, please make sure you use your real name. CarFax will charge you about 20-50USD thereabout, but we will do it for free.

Check more here..

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by yusuf2(m): 12:38pm On Mar 09, 2017
This policy would never take off. Grace period would come and go and nothing would happen. Watch and see.

19 Likes

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by Tyche(m): 11:11pm On Mar 09, 2017
Hmm
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by surrogatesng: 11:17pm On Mar 09, 2017
Na wah ooo,how do i know if my car is registered or not

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by tkpoint2(m): 4:12pm On Mar 10, 2017
surrogatesng:
Na wah ooo,how do i know if my car is registered or not

same here.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by nurey(m): 9:21pm On Mar 10, 2017
Woe betide any custom officer dumb enough to stand in my way I will send him to his early grave grin

In Nigeria, things are done upside down. If I was the custom boss, I will
1. Setup an online system for Vin verification to make it easier for car owners to just input their car Vin which tell them whether their vehicle is in the system also which vehicle type the Vin is tied to incase of false/fake paper

2. Don't use a uniform payment method, rather a depreciation custom payment since the custom is responsible for allowing smuggled cars escape their radar. They should also pay for incompetence. So they collect registration data from frsc and bill custom duty on a depreciation basis. So if I registered a 2004 micra in 2010, I shouldn't pay same duty as someone who registered same 2004 micra in 2016.

3. Make a printable slip free of charge from Internet, so those who have valid documents when stopped by custom agbero can just flash their slip and the custom agbero just verify with car Vin to make checking easier and faster saves time and man hour. Those just paying will be issued the slip free along with their document.

4. Every vehicle imported will be given a certificate of custom clearance just like the Lagos State land use charge certificate, this certificate has security on it like the paper notes, this will make identifying fake custom documents easier.

89 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by veekid(m): 6:50am On Mar 11, 2017

Buhari sef

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by BabaCommander: 6:51am On Mar 11, 2017
undecided
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by Negotiate: 6:51am On Mar 11, 2017
good
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by ilokas(m): 6:52am On Mar 11, 2017
Okay
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by lonelydora: 6:53am On Mar 11, 2017
How do know if his vehicle duties wasn't paid? There are so many custom documents written in tiny form. I need answer asap.
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by AkumahTalk(m): 6:55am On Mar 11, 2017
White elephant project....just like the new tinted permit. This plane will never take off; the load too much.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by maclatunji: 6:56am On Mar 11, 2017
Let us see how they go about enforcement.
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by lonelydora: 6:56am On Mar 11, 2017
yusuf2:
This policy would never take off. Grace period would come and go and nothing would happen. Watch and see.

Customs, VIO, and Police will just use you and enrich themselves. Dey there dey talk

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by HAH: 6:59am On Mar 11, 2017
In this age and time of Internet they want people to go to their offices to pay, how would an innocent car owner know if his car has a fake duty, a car he probably bought 7 years ago and was given a duty paper which he used to register his vehicle without any complain,

I think the custom and government in general are transferring their failure and inefficiency to people, the policy should have been no authentic duty no car registration, a website should also be created where car owners will simply just use their VIN to confirm if duty has been paid on his car but as it is they want the entire country car owners to troop to their offices to check if duty has been paid first then if not paid pay, this are bottlenecks deliberately created as an avenue for corruption cos certainly some people will collect money just to check validity of duty.

Hameed Ali is daring Nigerian, he will surely see the wrath of our collective will, the guy is so arrogant. And pompous that he doesn't wear customs uniform, he was just a Lt Col in the army an equivalent of level 13 civil servant and not a senior officer, we have seen a retired general Haladu Hannaiya who was appointed head of frsc and he wore their uniform, can you imagine Hameed Ali doesn't report to the minister of finance as required by law but he by passes her to report to Buhari, this is wrong he isn't above the law and must be called to order.

29 Likes

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by madjune(m): 6:59am On Mar 11, 2017
Is this the same thing as Auto reg?
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by Flexherbal(m): 6:59am On Mar 11, 2017
AkumahTalk:
White elephant project....just like the new tinted permit. This plane will never take off; the load too much.
This may be different !
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by Btruth: 7:02am On Mar 11, 2017
nurey:
Woe betide any custom officer dumb enough to stand in my way I will send him to his early grave grin

1. Setup an online system for Vin verification to make it easier for car owners to just input their car Vin which tell them whether their vehicle is in the system also which vehicle type the Vin is tied to incase of false/fake paper

2. Don't use a uniform payment method, rather a depreciation custom payment since the custom is responsible for allowing smuggled cars escape their radar. They should also pay for incompetence. So they collect registration data from frsc and bill custom duty on a depreciation basis. So if I registered a 2004 micra in 2010, I shouldn't pay same duty as someone who registered same 2004 micra in 2016.

3. Make a printable slip free of charge from Internet, so those who have valid documents when stopped by custom agbero can just flash their slip and the custom agbero just verify with car Vin to make checking easier and faster saves time and man hour. Those just paying will be issued the slip free along with their document.

4. Every vehicle imported will be given a certificate of custom clearance just like the Lagos State land use charge certificate, this certificate has security on it like the paper notes, this will make identifying fake custom documents easier.
I honestly hope those in the higher hierarchy in the customs can reason the way you've done. But nay, all they ever reason is the ways to make money on both importation and exportation. All Nigeria security operatives know nothing at all.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by adioolayi(m): 7:03am On Mar 11, 2017
6". Noteworthy also is the ongoing collaboration with the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIO) and Nigeria Police Force (NPF) in the Vehicles Identification Number (VIN) Project which is another bold step by the Service to boost revenue and enhance national security. The benefit of this collaboration is that those who do not pay duty on their vehicles will not be able to obtain licence and register them in Nigeria. We believe that when all vehicles are properly registered and owners’ identities tied to them, National Security will be enhanced."

This is good!
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by bibiking7(m): 7:11am On Mar 11, 2017
nurey:

Nice one. Its just a pity that we have old men running the show with their archaic ideas.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by Abeyjide: 7:11am On Mar 11, 2017
this Ali abi watin be his name is messing up.were they blind when those cars came to nigeria?
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by alsudaes1(m): 7:13am On Mar 11, 2017
There should be an online means of verification
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by kayjasper(f): 7:15am On Mar 11, 2017
C-Number

There is a C-Number on your customs paper. Copy it out and take it to the nearest Customs office and have it checked.

They charge you about 3k for it though, to verify if the duty is genuine or not.
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by saintjoel(m): 7:20am On Mar 11, 2017
lonelydora:
How do know if his vehicle duties wasn't paid? There are so many custom documents written in tiny form. I need answer asap.

https://www.nairaland.com/2208157/verify-custom-duty-papers-rectify
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by saintjoel(m): 7:21am On Mar 11, 2017
kayjasper:
C-Number

There is a C-Number on your customs paper. Copy it out and take it to the nearest Customs office and have it checked.

They charge you about 3k for it though, to verify if the duty is genuine or not.

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by lonelydora: 7:22am On Mar 11, 2017
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by saintjoel(m): 7:22am On Mar 11, 2017
AutoReportNG2:
In response to public complaints and suggestions, the Comptroller-General of Customs, Col. Hameed Ibrahim Ali (Rtd) has approved the adjustment of points of payment and 60% rebate across the board from 2015 downward to ease the process and encourage all motor dealers in the position of uncustomed vehicles to come forward and pay duty.

2. While the grace period remains Monday 13th March to Wednesday 12th April, the points of payments with the exception of Lagos and Port Harcourt will now be the nearest Customs Area Command.

3. Motor dealers in Lagos are to pay their duties at Zone ‘A’ Headquarters, No. 1 Harvey Road, Yaba and Federal Operations Unit, Zone ‘A’, Ikeja. While in Port Harcourt, auto duty payment will be at Zone ‘C’ Headquarters, Nigeria Ports Authority.

4. In the same vein, private vehicle owners who know that duty has not been paid on their vehicles could take advantage of this grace period to do so, therefore owners of such vehicles or their representatives are expected to go to the nearest pay-point for assessment and payment. It should however be noted that the 60% rebate applies only within the grace period.

5. For the avoidance of doubt, the decision to grant a grace period for auto duty payment was not a sudden and arbitrary one, but a product of consultations and long standing engagement with Leadership of Association of Motor Dealers of Nigeria (AMDON) who pleaded for a “window” to pay duty on all uncustomed vehicles within the Country before the ban on vehicle importation through land borders.

6. Noteworthy also is the ongoing collaboration with the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIO) and Nigeria Police Force (NPF) in the Vehicles Identification Number (VIN) Project which is another bold step by the Service to boost revenue and enhance national security. The benefit of this collaboration is that those who do not pay duty on their vehicles will not be able to obtain licence and register them in Nigeria. We believe that when all vehicles are properly registered and owners’ identities tied to them, National Security will be enhanced.

7. While expecting Motor dealers and indeed private owners of smuggled vehicles within the Country to use this grace period to pay duty, it should be noted that the Service will intensify its statutory functions of anti-smuggling operation with a view to seizing and prosecuting owners of uncustomed vehicles and other goods.

Source

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by Blurryface(m): 7:24am On Mar 11, 2017
Time to ditch this my car and go on foot till this whole thing dies down.
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by HAH: 7:25am On Mar 11, 2017
kayjasper:
C-Number

What should be my business with import duty papers or any c number, the vin number should be OK for any verification, no two cars have same vin so why confuse people with another number.

This 3k you mentioned is an extortion and should be fought, there should be a website where everyone can verify his duty payment via his vin free of charge

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by yelinco1(m): 7:25am On Mar 11, 2017
[quote author=nurey post=54468414]Woe betide any custom officer dumb enough to stand in my way I will send him to his early grave grin

3. Make a printable slip free of charge from Internet, so those who have valid documents when stopped by custom...
"YOU GET BRAIN JOR. DEM BE OLD CARGO WITH OLD BRAIN"

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by yhemsy62(m): 7:26am On Mar 11, 2017
nurey:

How I wish our oga at the top can reason in this direction

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Is Faster Between Power Bikes And Sport Cars / This Is Ripsaw EV2,The World’s Fastest Luxury Super Civilian Tank / Mistakes To Avoid After A Car Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.