Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,154 members, 7,811,315 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:07 AM

MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You (2085 Views)

Demystifying The Confusion - God, Gods God And Creator / I Can Fight With God One On One / It's Only God And Apostle Suleman's Wife That Can Condemn Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by inspire700(m): 12:56pm On Mar 09, 2017
Toward the end of Genesis, there’s a passage in the Bible where Jacob is shown wrestling with God,
“So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob’s hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. Then the man said, ‘Let me go, for it is daybreak.’ But Jacob replied, ‘I will not let you go unless you bless me.’ The man asked him, ‘What is your name?’ ‘Jacob,’ he answered. Then the man said, ‘Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.’ Jacob said, ‘Please tell me your name.’ But he replied, ‘Why do you ask my name?’ Then he blessed him there.” – Genesis 32:24-29

For a long time, these verses never made much sense to me. What was the point of wrestling with God? Why would the creator of heaven and earth even consent to such a random exercise? Of course, now that I’m older, these words have taken on new meaning for me. I’m sure the same is true for other Christians as well. How many of us can even make it through the week with wrestling with God in some shape or form?
In a guest post for The Gospel Coalition, Winfree Brisley reflects on how believers struggle with God by using her own sons as an example. Sometimes they wrestle as a way to foster friendship, but other times these games can turn into one child’s desperate attempt to get away from the other. The parallels between God and humanity are fairly striking. She writes,
“Sometimes we wrestle with the Lord as Jacob did and say, ‘I will not let go unless you bless me.’ We persist in pursuing the Lord and don’t give up until he has given us the wisdom, or peace, or contentment, or victory over sin we seek. We grow in relationship with the Lord when we bring him our questions, doubts, and fears and wrestle with him.”
“Most likely, we’ll not physically wrestle with the Lord as Jacob did—so what does our wrestling look like? We wrestle with him through prayer, talking to him about questions and concerns. We wrestle with him in his Word, searching its pages for truth that speaks to our situation, meditating on relevant passages, and memorizing verses that encourage or convict us. We wrestle with him through the wise counsel of others. As we hear the preached Word, read books and articles, and have intentional conversations, the Spirit speaks through godly people giving us truth and instruction to process and apply.”
Above all, Brisley prays her Christian readers will learn the difference between wrestling with God and wrestling against God. The distinction between the two can be sharp, but also difficult. As an example, I’d like to share about a time several years back when I was simply fed up with the Church. Following God hadn’t taken my life in the direction I had hoped. I was angry, and bitter, and I decided in that moment I was done living my life to please a community which had all but forgotten me.

To my surprise though, God would not be set aside. Like a scene from a bad comedy he kept showing up in a hundred different ways, speaking loudly even when I tried to ignore him. Finally, exhausted with it all, I remember sitting down on my bed and just asking, “What do you want from me?” The answer that came wasn’t what I expected, “Keep fighting.”

Perhaps you’re in a season of transition, but God still hasn’t shown you where to go. Maybe you’re just burnt out on Church itself, but you can still feel God pulling you back through those doors each Sunday. Wrestling with God can be draining, but as Brisley points out in her article, sometimes it’s only by wrestling with God that we are able to bond with him. So whatever you may be struggling with this week, be encouraged to step into the ring and meet God once again. We may leave the battle bruised like Jacob, but that’s a small price to pay in order to know God.

SOURCE: http://www.dailychristianhope.com/2017/03/jacob-wrestled-with-god-and-so-should.html

1 Like

Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by saintikechi(m): 1:19pm On Mar 09, 2017
God is not a man that a man can wrestle with. you guys have been deceived by that fairy tale story and many more like it, that can be found in the Bible.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by TimmyPapa(m): 1:28pm On Mar 09, 2017
saintikechi:
God is not a man that a man can wrestle with. you guys have been deceived by that fairy tale story and many more like it, that can be found in the Bible.

Well iits because U r so limited in wisdom.. God is a creator of man nd he can appear in any form he chose to.. he is omnipotent omnipresent if he likes he can com inform of human so we can behold i.e see him.. if he likes he can com inform of fire..dats our God.. NT ur god wch u cnt behold.. Bible has ben packaged b4 d birth of muhammad wu claim d bible hs bn changed..

1 Like

Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by saintikechi(m): 1:48pm On Mar 09, 2017
TimmyPapa:

Well iits because U r so limited in wisdom.. God is a creator of man nd he can appear in any form he chose to.. he is omnipotent omnipresent if he likes he can com inform of human so we can behold i.e see him.. if he likes he can com inform of fire..dats our God.. NT ur god wch u cnt behold.. Bible has ben packaged b4 d birth of muhammad wu claim d bible hs bn changed..

well..... I guess you god is completely different from mine. my God cannot be beheld by physical eyes, cannot be touched with physical hands, cannot stoop so low as to enter a human body. my God dwells in realms far away from here. his will governs the spiritual and the physical worlds, his aura will literally burn up the earth if he moves towards it. the true nature of my God cannot be comprehended by your limited intellect. continue reading fairy tales.

2 Likes

Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 09, 2017
Nice post....perseverance with God.

1 Like

Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by TimmyPapa(m): 2:11pm On Mar 09, 2017
saintikechi:

well..... I guess you god is completely different from mine. my God cannot be beheld by physical eyes, cannot be touched with physical hands, cannot stoop so low as to enter a human body. my God dwells in realms far away from here. his will governs the spiritual and the physical worlds, his aura will literally burn up the earth if he moves towards it. the true nature of my God cannot be comprehended by your limited intellect. continue reading fairy tales.

Oooh ii see.. My own God created man to be it's companion he is so loving dat he speaks to his own...although he is far away yet he made himself available in hi owns heart to guide direct nd lead dem... my own God nevr want any 1 to perish so he invited dem to himself... well u said u God's aura will burn d hrt if he moves towards it.. well I gues anothr God created the world not urs...Cus had it bn ur God he could av destroy d world aftr creation... my God is so awesome dat he can apear in any physical spiritual form.. not ur distance God..

1 Like

Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by saintikechi(m): 2:48pm On Mar 09, 2017
TimmyPapa:

Oooh ii see.. My own God created man to be it's companion he is so loving dat he speaks to his own...although he is far away yet he made himself available in hi owns heart to guide direct nd lead dem... my own God nevr want any 1 to perish so he invited dem to himself... well u said u God's aura will burn d hrt if he moves towards it.. well I gues anothr God created the world not urs...Cus had it bn ur God he could av destroy d world aftr creation... my God is so awesome dat he can apear in any physical spiritual form.. not ur distance God..
continue reading fairy tales... my God does not play with toys, he does not need you as a companion. he put the human spirit on this earth for it to grow and mature spiritually in order for it to be able to ascend the more luminous heights. in the realm of the spirits there are many a soul who are trapped and cannot move higher than the level which they find themselves because of one reason or another, be it their attachment to things around them or their beliefs (like you, believing in fairy tales and being blinded by such beliefs, you cannot see the way forward, thereby cannot receive redemption) because of my God does not desire that any soul should perish, and out of his infinite mercy, such souls are sent to this world so they mature spiritually through the lessons that life has to offer and when they rid themselves of all attachments, all impurities, false beliefs and spiritual bondages. they can now ascend to the higher realm where the purer beings dwell. this is the will of my God and his mercy endureth forever.

1 Like

Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by TimmyPapa(m): 3:01pm On Mar 09, 2017
saintikechi:
continue reading fairy tales... my God does not play with toys, he does not need you as a companion. he put the human spirit on this earth for it to grow and mature spiritually in order for it to be able to ascend the more luminous heights. in the realm of the spirits there are many a soul who are trapped and cannot move higher than the level which they find themselves because of one reason or another, be it their attachment to things around them or their beliefs (like you, believing in fairy tales and being blinded by such beliefs, you cannot see the way forward, thereby cannot receive redemption) because of my God does not desire that any soul should perish, and out of his infinite mercy, such souls are sent to this world so they mature spiritually through the lessons that life has to offer and when they rid themselves of all attachments, all impurities, false beliefs and spiritual bondages. they can now ascend to the higher realm where the purer beings dwell. this is the will of my God and his mercy endureth forever.

Hmmm
Ur god dus nt play wit toys...Cn u define d toy... nd by d way... Tell me ur unknown god...
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by saintikechi(m): 3:40pm On Mar 09, 2017
TimmyPapa:

Hmmm
Ur god dus nt play wit toys...Cn u define d toy... nd by d way... Tell me ur unknown god...
My God is not the alpha and omega.... no, no, no, no. he is bigger than that, he created the alpha and omega, my God created Jehovah, he created Allah, he created Buddha, Krishna, and olumba olumba. he even created Satan, Lucifer, hades and all that exists. my God created the creator that created the human body, my God is the breadth of life, in him every thing exists, nothing exists outside him, he is not the creator god, for he created the creator. all souls, all spirits, all beings all planets, all realms, and every other thing that your little brain can think of that exists, is only a part of my God..... my God is bigger than that. our individual souls are but sparks from the ocean of fire of God. my God is like a broad spectrum that the human intellect cannot fully comprehend.
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by Wilgrea7(m): 5:21pm On Mar 09, 2017
saintikechi:

My God is not the alpha and omega.... no, no, no, no. he is bigger than that, he created the alpha and omega, my God created Jehovah, he created Allah, he created Buddha, Krishna, and olumba olumba. he even created Satan, Lucifer, hades and all that exists. my God created the creator that created the human body, my God is the breadth of life, in him every thing exists, nothing exists outside him, he is not the creator god, for he created the creator. all souls, all spirits, all beings all planets, all realms, and every other thing that your little brain can think of that exists, is only a part of my God..... my God is bigger than that. our individual souls are but sparks from the ocean of fire of God. my God is like a broad spectrum that the human intellect cannot fully comprehend.

what's his name please
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by TimmyPapa(m): 8:48pm On Mar 09, 2017
saintikechi:

It's like U are confused...u don't even knw ur God! Tell us wu he is

1 Like

Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by Omudia11: 9:11pm On Mar 09, 2017
Well, I'm tired of waiting. Today, I made up my mind to quit. Yes I quit.

I know God is real but I can't conceive why he hasn't answered my prayers.My heart bleeds because of the pain God gave me.

2 Likes

Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by TimmyPapa(m): 9:26pm On Mar 09, 2017
Omudia11:

I know God is real but I can't conceive why he hasn't answered my prayers.My heart bleeds because of the pain God gave me.

I feel ur pain many tins can cus unaswred prayers
1. Sin
2. Prayers been delayed by principality
3. GOD gat a better plan dan wat Uv
asked
4 or better stil ur asking for d wrong tin @ d ryt time or ryt tins at d wrong time
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by Omudia11: 9:33pm On Mar 09, 2017
It used to be number 1. But trust me I've tried my best to eliminate sin.

People who are worse sinners than have it better when I who is trying too hard has been experiencing lmanner if delay and retrogression.

You're right with number 2. I see them. Yes, I see them, those wicked evil beings.

As for number 3, I don't even care about that anymore.
TimmyPapa:

I feel ur pain many tins can cus unaswred prayers
1. Sin
2. Prayers been delayed by principality
3. GOD gat a better plan dan wat Uv
asked
4 or better stil ur asking for d wrong tin @ d ryt time or ryt tins at d wrong time
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by TimmyPapa(m): 9:43pm On Mar 09, 2017
Omudia11:

People who are worse sinners than have it better when I who is trying too hard has been experiencing lmanner if delay and retrogression.

You're right with number 2. I see them. Yes, I see them, those wicked evil beings.

You can't eliminate sin wit ur strength u do dat by d power of christ whu av com to take our sins... den ur concious effort not to fall into d sin again... den after conquering sin u av power over dose evil ones... as for no 3 don't loose faith ok brother
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by TimmyPapa(m): 9:44pm On Mar 09, 2017
Omudia11:

You can't eliminate sin wit ur strength u do dat by d power of christ whu av com to take our sins... den ur concious effort not to fall into d sin again... den after conquering sin u av power over dose evil ones... as for no 3 don't loose faith ok brother
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by otemanuduno: 9:46pm On Mar 09, 2017
Wilgrea7:

what's his name please

Now Wilgrea7, you can see that it isn't only me on the planet earth who knows that God the Universe is the creator of Allah, Yahweh, Vishnu, Odin and all other religious gods. May the Light of God continue to reveal the truth to humanity, ASE!
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by TimmyPapa(m): 9:51pm On Mar 09, 2017
otemanuduno:

Now Wilgrea7, you can see that it isn't only me on the planet earth who knows that God the Universe is the creator of Allah, Yahweh, Vishnu, Odin and all other religious gods. May the Light of God continue to reveal the truth to humanity, ASE!
Like u evn don't knw ur god... if u do tell us d name
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by Omudia11: 9:53pm On Mar 09, 2017
Trust me, I've added my efforts along with the word of God in conjunction with prayers, but to no avail. I've really lost hope.I I used to have the faith that could move mountains but right now, nothing is left of it. I'm a sister.
TimmyPapa:

Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by TimmyPapa(m): 9:57pm On Mar 09, 2017
Omudia11:
Trust me, I've added my efforts along with the word of God in conjunction with prayers, but to no avail. I've really lost hope.I I used to have the faith that could move mountains but right now, nothing is left of it. I'm a sister.

Ehya can we talk on wathsapp if u don't mind wana ask som questions
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by NairalandSARS: 10:04pm On Mar 09, 2017
saintikechi:

Your God is Galactus?
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by Omudia11: 10:09pm On Mar 09, 2017
OK... I'll send you a pm.. As I don't want to leave my contact here.
TimmyPapa:

Ehya can we talk on wathsapp if u don't mind wana ask som questions
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by TimmyPapa(m): 11:40pm On Mar 09, 2017
Omudia11:
OK... I'll send you a pm.. As I don't want to leave my contact here.

Ok I ll b expecting
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by otemanuduno: 12:13am On Mar 10, 2017
TimmyPapa:

Like u evn don't knw ur god... if u do tell us d name
Who should name God? If any God is christened, then it means we humans gave birth to such god. However, God the Universe is the name I can suggest. He is the creator of all gods such as Atum, Allah, Yahweh, Eshu, Olorun, Oghene, Odin and every other gods you have ever heard of.
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by Nobody: 12:19am On Mar 10, 2017
otemanuduno:
Who should name God? If any God is christened, then it means we humans gave birth to such god. However, God the Universe is the name I can suggest. He is the creator of all gods such as Atum, Allah, Yahweh, Eshu, Olorun, Oghene, Odin and every other gods you have ever heard of.

God told Moses that His name is "I Am That I Am" when Moses was sent to Egypt to confront Ramses...(Pharoah).
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by Splinz(m): 12:32am On Mar 10, 2017
MZLady39:

God told Moses that His name is "I Am That I Am" when Moses was sent to Egypt to confront Ramses...(Pharoah).

Don't mind Otem, that's how he goes about joking.
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by Nobody: 12:40am On Mar 10, 2017
Splinz:

Don't mind Otem, that's how he goes about joking.

Hi my brother,
Oh ok...you know I have such difficulty figuring out what's a joke or real?
So how have you been?
What's going on with you and your brothers over on the other side I was shocked.
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by Splinz(m): 1:04am On Mar 10, 2017
MZLady39:

Hi my brother,
Oh ok...you know I have such difficulty figuring out what's a joke or real?
So how have you been?
What's going on with you and your brothers over on the other side I was shocked.

Oh, sorry about that... Your brothers wouldn't stop throwing tantrums for obviously being confronted with superior arguments. You're well aware of the fierce and bitter attacks dished out to me.

So, I couldn't just let them go on any longer. I had to put a stop to it, lest they think themselves wise in their own ways. But that's over now.

So, how're you doing?
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by Nobody: 1:17am On Mar 10, 2017
Splinz:

Oh, sorry about that... Your brothers wouldn't stop throwing tantrums for obviously being confronted with superior arguments. You're well aware of the fierce and bitter attacks dished out to me.

So, I couldn't just let them go on any longer. I had to put a stop to it, lest they think themselves wise in their own ways. But that's over now.

So, how're you doing?

Oh....I do get that. It's like we're Christians..but sometimes I'm like, "Jesus you stay over there in the corner while I handle this person."
My flesh likes to rise up a lot.
Being on NL is actually helping me in many ways.
I'm doing well. I was looking at the Health & Diary rooms. May create a diary...
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by Wilgrea7(m): 1:47am On Mar 10, 2017
Omudia11:

wow... so sorry to hear that... considering your personality here on nl, i didn't think you'd have any problems... pls what's the problem? if its something you can share here, please do so nd I'll give my best advice.. if its something more personal, you can send me a pm(although i don't know how that stuff works sef)
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by Wilgrea7(m): 1:51am On Mar 10, 2017
otemanuduno:

*grabs popcorn nd beer*

this should be interesting... i want to see if both of you agree on the same god
Re: MUST READ: Jacob Wrestled With God, And So Should You by otemanuduno: 4:08am On Mar 10, 2017
MZLady39:

The one that met Moussa wasn't God the Universe. That was Yeshua in disguise. God Almighty has never appeared to human being before.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Deeper Life High School Students Praying To Receive The Holy Ghost / Gettier's Problem / Is Allah Of Islam The Same As Yahweh Of Christianity?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.