Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport (38322 Views)

World War II Plane Crashes In US Airport, Kills At Least 7 Persons / South Africa Frustrates Evacuation, Arrests Home-bound Nigerians At Airports / Nigerians At Rigasa Train Station Buy Train Tickets To Avoid Kidnappers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Shukran(f): 1:28pm On Mar 10, 2017
mzirawo:

source:http://www.eyesoflagos.com/2017/03/humiliated-and-dehumanised-struggles-of.html

I can tell you from my experience what went wrong from your story.

1. How many weeks pregnant is your wife?

2. The major problem was insufficient fund, traveling with wife and two kids to speed $3300 is not enough my dear.

And you didn't have the physical prove that you have that money. Like a hardcopy bank statement or physical cash. Next time hold your physical cash upto $10000.

3. Do you have ideal of how your relatives got migrated to USA?

Be smarter thank boarder officer

2 Likes

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by AceSkillz01: 1:34pm On Mar 10, 2017
You these people from that side, running to USA. Disgracing yourselves. I thought this govt. you voted in was good naa. Where are you running to? Shame

2 Likes

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by adesewa4uyahoo(f): 1:38pm On Mar 10, 2017
No story, pack your things and come home... We won't reject you.

1 Like

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by 360command: 1:38pm On Mar 10, 2017
chukxie:
If only Nigeria could do the same to some of the hundreds of American citizens visiting yearly. This is why I love the Chinese government. If Chinese citizens were being arbitrarily and discriminately denied entry into the U.S., the Chinese government would do the same to Americans visiting China.
Iranians are like that also.

1 Like

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by metallisc(m): 1:43pm On Mar 10, 2017
efilefun:
Imagine the poo you wrote up there mtcheeew what has he's name got to do with trump and he's immigration nonsense

you mean 'his' ...with this lack of english, you would be turned back as well!

the US border officials were like....

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by InvertedHammer: 1:44pm On Mar 10, 2017
US is going through a phase.

I will advise any intended traveller on a visa to exercise patience till June (summer time) for the air to clear on immigration policies. Why summer? That is the period when most visitors arrive the US for vacations. Things will be sorted out well by then.

/

2 Likes

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by linearity: 1:48pm On Mar 10, 2017
jidewin:
This is a big lesson for you ungrateful Nigerians who went about bad mouthing Hon. Abike Dabiri.
She sounded the alarm and warning not to proceed to US for now, even despite a valid US Visa, but you castigated her as "ordinary Special Assistant , a nobody".

Between Abike and Onyeama, who would you listen to now as a reliable authority on diasporan issues?

Hope you've learned your lessons.

You are using false flags to validate her lies. The Trump EO does not single out Nigerians specifically and there are no internal memo within the State Department that did that.

What this Nigerians faced is the new normal and Nationals of all other countries are facing the same.

A visa is not a guarantee of entry into any countries, that is the job of the immigration agents and they have lots of discretion while doing their jobs. The only difference now is, they are given wide latitude to apply that discretion.

1. It is not illegal to travel to the US to give birth, but you must have enough money to foot the bill 100%. On average a child's birth cost about 10 to 15k in a US hospital and showing up with $8k will not cut it. If friends in the US will assist you with part of the cost, ask them to send you a letter stating that ahead of time and a proof of that income, don't expect the immigration agent to believe your uncoraborated statements.

2. Book your hotel ahead of time, call on the same night before traveling that your reservations are still valid. Hotel reservations can be mistakenly cancelled, so don't assume anything and he was given an opportunity to make another hotel reservation at the airport, my guess is, he might have been allowed to proceed had that been done. Remember you can also stay with friends, just get their consents and letter stating such.

3. The first guy who said he was detained for 3/4 without knowing the reason(s) is leaving out vital information. The US immigration agent, cannot detain you without asking questions or telling you what they found fishy in your visa application, your past or proposed entry into the US. There is something he is not saying. Also, there are no daily flights between the US and Nigeria, there is usually an interval of about 3 days between flights and as such, if your visa is revolked at the airport, depending on what day of the week it is, expect to spend up to three nights in immigration cell.

4. The US immigration agent does not have the authority to revoke your visa at the airport in the US. You are on US soil and have a right to due process, which means only a judge can do it. You will be given an opportunity to be as to why you think that the immigration agent's allegations are false and be prepare to provide evidence to back your point e.g. If the agent alleges that, they called the hotel and no valid reservation was found for you, do your independent research e.g. calling the hotel yourself, the agent might have dialed the wrong number or got the wrong person at the other end or miss pronounced your name or the other person miss-heard or even the agent doesn't just like you and are lying, be prepare to proof him wrong by making your own calls, you can do this subtlety with him there or directly with the administrative judge, if you decline to sign the form to withdraw your visa application. However, you have the right to admit guilt and violation of certain US immigration laws and withdraw your visa. Hence, they give you that form to complete and since you are admitting guilt, those forms only have one answer..."If you are admitting that you do not have a hotel reservation" there is only one answer to that question. Once you have signed the form, only then can your visa be revoked because you have withdraw your application.

If you choose not to sign the form, they will send you to jail from where you will wait until a judge hears your case and will most likely side with the agent and still send you parking, and will also give you more years on your ban or make it permanent. Most people don't want to sleep in jail to await trial or face the possibility of a life ban, hence they sign the form at the airport admitting guilt, then withdraw their visa application. tongue

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by efilefun(m): 1:49pm On Mar 10, 2017
metallisc:

you mean 'his' ...with this lack of english, you would be turned back as well!

the US border officials were like....
Dude if you need help just send a pm, you might be assisted.
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Nobody: 1:55pm On Mar 10, 2017
massinola:
But wetin una de go there go find na? I been think say since Bubu came onboard, Nigeria is the best place to be. Make Trump deport every single Nigerian there in U.S. let them all come home and enjoy the chanjiiiiiu
what an uncool thing to say. Trump doesn't have the power to deport me or every other Nigerian who were born or immigrated here legally.
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Mrjo(m): 1:58pm On Mar 10, 2017
efilefun:
Imagine the poo you wrote up there mtcheeew what has he's name got to do with trump and he's immigration nonsense
bro when u hear somebody is olaniyi its means that person is waste. Lol
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by metallisc(m): 1:58pm On Mar 10, 2017
efilefun:
Dude if you need help just send a pm, you might be assisted.

help with what mate?

if you were gunning for sarcastic.... that was a very flat and misdirected attempt! sorry! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Lucasbalo(m): 2:00pm On Mar 10, 2017
ttmacoy:
Shhhhhh how dare you apply logic?

It's a lie its trump that chased them because they are Nigerians so please all students and people with straight forward stories and with proper things to do in the US cancel your trip abeg.

I wasn't going to get in the middle of the immigration debacle but one thing for sure is Trump anti immigrant policy has gotten a lot of things to do with the way some of the ICE agents at the border goes overboard to enforce the law. They have been emboldened by trump and some of this ICE agents have their own biases too. Some of them go beyond the call of duty to enforce the law.
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by easyflex: 2:21pm On Mar 10, 2017
Anybody that is well versed with basic U.S immigration and travel rules will know that both of these people mentioned in this article committed deportable offenses.

The first guy most likely had some irregularities in his travel arrangements and documents which is the reason I believe he was detained.

The second guy obviously took a heavily pregnant wife to the U.S without delivery arrangements and adequate finances.

Both incidents are deportable offenses and not arbitrary as being insinuated by most posters here.

If you have a valid visa and good travel arrangements , U.S border agents won't give you any trouble. Please let's quit being sentimental.

6 Likes

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Chijiuche: 2:37pm On Mar 10, 2017
helpee:
the reason why the two of them were denied was obvious now....1) Mr olafemi popoola was travelling with a pregnant wife with 8k without health insurance. The visa is not a medical visa . if the wife delivers by operation in USA, the cost may run into hundreds of thousands of dollars and he won't be able to pay.
2) the other man got family visa for tourism only for him to arrive alone at the border saying the wife is now busy. usually they probably told them at the embassy she would be on leave. oyinbos don't believe in vacation while your wife is in nigeria. They believe the man went ahead to prepare ground before the woman finally joins her. follow the rule of your visa and you won't have problem

Thank you...Travelling not just with the pregnant wife but with Two kids on top $8K ( To cover both hospital fees, hotel accommodation and feeding...Haba!!!). For the Visa, I know B1/B2 can still cover child birth but only on the condition you have used it initially for the purpose earlier indicated.
Also,even by telling the oyibo that incase you dey stranded, you have people back in Naija that will assist you...This has even showed the immigration officer that you are not financially capable for this trip.

For the other guy, You collected visa to travel with your wife for planned vacation, all of a sudden, your wife became busy. You ended up travelling alone, who you wan go enjoy with Even me as i dey reason am for my head, i don dey suspect something fishy already.. you have $300 and claimed you have $3000 in your Gold visa card.did you print out your statement of account as evidence? Abeg make we mercy for the Oyibos, they no be like our own immigration officers wey don excange their brain with constant depreciating naira

6 Likes

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by chukxie(m): 2:45pm On Mar 10, 2017
seguno2:

How much aids do the Chinese get from America?
What % of the Chinese are STRUGGLING to go to America by all means?

You spoke of the U.S. aids to Nigeria. Well, I must admit you have a point there. But come to think of it, doesn't America derive more from Nigeria than the miserly aids it gives? If Nigeria weren't such a corrupt country would we be needing aids from the U.S.? No, we wouldn't! And just you know, there are more Chinese folks travelling to America than Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by abbeyty(m): 2:46pm On Mar 10, 2017
the only solution is that we should stop visiting America

1 Like

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by vigasimple(m): 2:58pm On Mar 10, 2017
Charity begins at home. Until we have a government who don't market Nigerians as criminals, we are in for a long thing.

1 Like

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by yinkslinks(m): 3:11pm On Mar 10, 2017
Toks2008:

lol! I honestly don't want to try my luck with any naija based lady anymore at least not now except I have a change of mind.

I have had my experience with one and I have seen many cases. Most Nigerian ladies got no chill...they can't love you for you except for what you have to offer and I really am not game with that.
Bro better for you oooo, i have don that and i have peace being with a white woman now.
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by cosade(m): 3:14pm On Mar 10, 2017
berrystunn:

Those airline will need transit.. visa..

Turkey visa and dubai visa is easy. And airline is cheaper lol expecially Turkish lol

For more than 10 years now, if you hold a USA visa you wouldn't require a transit visa.
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by salegella: 3:19pm On Mar 10, 2017
Thank God for Trump! Only those terrorists are denied entry into US. LOL
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by akigbemaru: 3:25pm On Mar 10, 2017
jpphilips:
If You are a moslem, Trump says he doesn't want you guys, the American people voted to see it through I don't understand why you are making noise. If you are a moslem, please apply for a Saudi Arabia visa because after the UK has activated article 50, Theresa may borrow a leaf from Mr Trump. It is not about being a Nigerian, loads of Nigerians were granted free passage except the Muhammedians.
Now the chain effect of having Boko haram in our backyard has grown beyond the NE, it will give most of you sense to support the only government that understands the enormity of Dasuki's action.
Aside that, haven't you heard of medical visa before? abi your wife's pregnancy isn't a medical condition? everyday we warn you guys to have basic common sense yet you won't listen, Trump is a man of consequence management, "YOU ARE FIRED" rings a bell, you are lucky you got just 5yrs ban, you need thorough flogging to reset your dubious mind to default, meanwhile the maga is claiming he doesn't know his offence, Look inside your wife's V hole, you will surely see your offence in there, bingo!!
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by IamUdo(m): 3:37pm On Mar 10, 2017
1st case: US immigration will not revoke and ban someone without them having a case against him. If he was unlawfully detained he should file a law suit immediately.
2nd case: I'm sorry my friend but if you have $8000 and you tell them you have sources of raising money if you exhaust, that's a Big NO. Because they will assume you would look for job or depend on govt welfare.
Moral: Know your rights as a traveler, know where you are going and for what purpose, have sufficient cash. Be confident because immigration and boarder control officers are psychologically trained.
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by RaptorX: 3:51pm On Mar 10, 2017
After you have done thanksgiving in church say u don land Yankee visa and the whole church don pray for safe journey na to change church sharply on return.

1 Like

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by charlesucheh(m): 4:03pm On Mar 10, 2017
OLaniyi! Vacation abi? So u didn't see Obudu or other recreational areas in Lagos to go to abi? Must it be America Free their country for them Joor!!!!
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by jpphilips(m): 4:04pm On Mar 10, 2017
blackboy:
Continue misquoting organizing Mr Trump bad while showing.. ..it has nothing to do with Muslim. It's about making America great again. He never said he don't want. Muslims but simply put he don't want Muslims who might be a threat to the USA or are not allies to the USA neither contributing to the growth of the USA. Saudi Arabia, is not on the list. Iraq is not on the list. Syria. Iran, Somalia to mention are on the list of those banned and they are obviously not allies to the USA.

Some arguments are not worth it, as a moslem, it is wise to stay away from the US till the next 6 months, regardless what Trump promised to do and who is on the list, we know how it is playing out currently, some are lucky to pass through some are not, overall, the gamble is not worth it, they are about to start child separation at some borders while Iraq was recently recalled because the US is assisting in the battle of mosul, Im not here to tell you what to do, I am only telling you that your gamble is not worth it, this chap's story is a piece of cake compared to folks I saw on TV few days ago.
Wisdom isn't for everyone though.

2 Likes

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Folksyharry(m): 4:16pm On Mar 10, 2017
helpee:
the reason why the two of them were denied was obvious now....1) Mr olafemi popoola was travelling with a pregnant wife with 8k without health insurance. The visa is not a medical visa . if the wife delivers by operation in USA, the cost may run into hundreds of thousands of dollars and he won't be able to pay.
2) the other man got family visa for tourism only for him to arrive alone at the border saying the wife is now busy. usually they probably told them at the embassy she would be on leave. oyinbos don't believe in vacation while your wife is in nigeria. They believe the man went ahead to prepare ground before the woman finally joins her. follow the rule of your visa and you won't have problem

I'm truly surprised that all the people that commented on the first page never thought along this line. All I saw was Nigerians trying to win argument.

1 Like

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by CellTabRepairs: 4:43pm On Mar 10, 2017
These are sad stories because Nigeria is not among the list of countries the new US Immigration policy affected. But I couldn't help with laughter where one of them recounted filling a one way street form...With a box for 'yes' only. Kai grin grin

In other news, if you are still waiting on most of these industry giants to make fun of your talents with long running recruitment process stretching 1 year or more and end up selecting few...sometimes as few as 2 or 3 per role. How frustrating WAITING...waiting while life and money pass you by? No. You can still wait smartly. Moreover, destiny helpers will meet you on a job that guarantees you face to face meet ups with the men of means! #fix high end devices ...

9 months is a cycle of life. 9 months to year end. In 3 Months depending on your speed, you will command money with this resource. Yes!
Are you looking for a source of daily income stream? Look no further!. Lost your job? Retired? Tired of working for someone? Student, but need money source? Want to change business? LEARN SMARTPHONES REPAIRS Today! Very lucrative venture for anyone. Low startup capital - high RETURNS! In high demand! Your main CAPITAL IS KNOWLEDGE & SKILL! Join the winners!

Click My Name & View That Resource You Might Need! Don't wait until the whole year runs out and your hair is graying before you realise you need to take your destiny in your hands!
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Teedawg: 4:54pm On Mar 10, 2017
RaptorX:
After you have done thanksgiving in church say u don land Yankee visa and the whole church don pray for safe journey na to change church sharply on return .
grin grin coupled with the fact that they fit interview for TV and your church members see you for TV grin
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by 1009ja: 5:08pm On Mar 10, 2017
Not worth it to risk your life to have a foreign baby. IT NOR WORTH YOUR LIFE. Think about all that can happen to a near term woman who is limping to Europe, Canada or USA just to have a foreign citizen. We are still colonizing ourselves.
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by seguno2: 5:10pm On Mar 10, 2017
chukxie:
You spoke of the U.S. aids to Nigeria. Well, I must admit you have a point there. But come to think of it, doesn't America derive more from Nigeria than the miserly aids it gives?
If Nigeria weren't such a corrupt country would we be needing aids from the U.S.? No, we wouldn't! And just you know, there are more Chinese folks travelling to America than Nigerians.

Did America oblige us to allow them derive more from our country than the aids we beg from them each year?
Did America force us to be corrupt?
Did you read that I said %?
What do you gain from making excuses and blaming others for our failures?
How does that help us to get better?

1 Like

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Toks2008(m): 5:33pm On Mar 10, 2017
yinkslinks:
Bro better for you oooo, i have don that and i have peace being with a white woman now.

Good for you bro.
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Shukran(f): 5:39pm On Mar 10, 2017
linearity:

You are using false flags to validate her lies. The Trump EO does not single out Nigerians specifically and there are no internal memo within the State Department that did that.

What this Nigerians faced is the new normal and Nationals of all other countries are facing the same.

A visa is not a guarantee of entry into any countries, that is the job of the immigration agents and they have lots of discretion while doing their jobs. The only difference now is, they are given wide latitude to apply that discretion.

1. It is not illegal to travel to the US to give birth, but you must have enough money to foot the bill 100%. On average a child's birth cost about 10 to 15k in a US hospital and showing up with $8k will not cut it. If friends in the US will assist you with part of the cost, ask them to send you a letter stating that ahead of time and a proof of that income, don't expect the immigration agent to believe your uncoraborated statements.

2. Book your hotel ahead of time, call on the same night before traveling that your reservations are still valid. Hotel reservations can be mistakenly cancelled, so don't assume anything and he was given an opportunity to make another hotel reservation at the airport, my guess is, he might have been allowed to proceed had that been done. Remember you can also stay with friends, just get their consents and letter stating such.

3. The first guy who said he was detained for 3/4 without knowing the reason(s) is leaving out vital information. The US immigration agent, cannot detain you without asking questions or telling you what they found fishy in your visa application, your past or proposed entry into the US. There is something he is not saying. Also, there are no daily flights between the US and Nigeria, there is usually an interval of about 3 days between flights and as such, if your visa is revolked at the airport, depending on what day of the week it is, expect to spend up to three nights in immigration cell.

4. The US immigration agent does not have the authority to revoke your visa at the airport in the US. You are on US soil and have a right to due process, which means only a judge can do it. You will be given an opportunity to be as to why you think that the immigration agent's allegations are false and be prepare to provide evidence to back your point e.g. If the agent alleges that, they called the hotel and no valid reservation was found for you, do your independent research e.g. calling the hotel yourself, the agent might have dialed the wrong number or got the wrong person at the other end or miss pronounced your name or the other person miss-heard or even the agent doesn't just like you and are lying, be prepare to proof him wrong by making your own calls, you can do this subtlety with him there or directly with the administrative judge, if you decline to sign the form to withdraw your visa application. However, you have the right to admit guilt and violation of certain US immigration laws and withdraw your visa. Hence, they give you that form to complete and since you are admitting guilt, those forms only have one answer..."If you are admitting that you do not have a hotel reservation" there is only one answer to that question. Once you have signed the form, only then can your visa be revoked because you have withdraw your application.

If you choose not to sign the form, they will send you to jail from where you will wait until a judge hears your case and will most likely side with the agent and still send you parking, and will also give you more years on your ban or make it permanent. Most people don't want to sleep in jail to await trial or face the possibility of a life ban, hence they sign the form at the airport admitting guilt, then withdraw their visa application. tongue

Right, they come here and tell us half story to discredit USA when their are at fault. No proper documentations.

Please fellow Nigerians let's stop dragging our name in the mud.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

El-Rufai Builds Kabala Costain 230m Bridge (Kaduna Urban Renewal Project) / How A Lagos Driver Transported A Horse.. / My Visit To Air Force Base In Greece (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.