Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,065 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport (38319 Views)

World War II Plane Crashes In US Airport, Kills At Least 7 Persons / South Africa Frustrates Evacuation, Arrests Home-bound Nigerians At Airports / Nigerians At Rigasa Train Station Buy Train Tickets To Avoid Kidnappers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by berrystunn(m): 5:53pm On Mar 10, 2017
cosade:

For more than 10 years now, if you hold a USA visa you wouldn't require a transit visa.

I don't know how they row
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Mikeiron78(m): 6:02pm On Mar 10, 2017
A MADE UP STORY. NOT TRUE.
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Mikeiron78(m): 6:04pm On Mar 10, 2017
THOSE ARE MADE-UP STORIES.

linearity:

You are using false flags to validate her lies. The Trump EO does not single out Nigerians specifically and there are no internal memo within the State Department that did that.

What this Nigerians faced is the new normal and Nationals of all other countries are facing the same.

A visa is not a guarantee of entry into any countries, that is the job of the immigration agents and they have lots of discretion while doing their jobs. The only difference now is, they are given wide latitude to apply that discretion.

1. It is not illegal to travel to the US to give birth, but you must have enough money to foot the bill 100%. On average a child's birth cost about 10 to 15k in a US hospital and showing up with $8k will not cut it. If friends in the US will assist you with part of the cost, ask them to send you a letter stating that ahead of time and a proof of that income, don't expect the immigration agent to believe your uncoraborated statements.

2. Book your hotel ahead of time, call on the same night before traveling that your reservations are still valid. Hotel reservations can be mistakenly cancelled, so don't assume anything and he was given an opportunity to make another hotel reservation at the airport, my guess is, he might have been allowed to proceed had that been done. Remember you can also stay with friends, just get their consents and letter stating such.

3. The first guy who said he was detained for 3/4 without knowing the reason(s) is leaving out vital information. The US immigration agent, cannot detain you without asking questions or telling you what they found fishy in your visa application, your past or proposed entry into the US. There is something he is not saying. Also, there are no daily flights between the US and Nigeria, there is usually an interval of about 3 days between flights and as such, if your visa is revolked at the airport, depending on what day of the week it is, expect to spend up to three nights in immigration cell.

4. The US immigration agent does not have the authority to revoke your visa at the airport in the US. You are on US soil and have a right to due process, which means only a judge can do it. You will be given an opportunity to be as to why you think that the immigration agent's allegations are false and be prepare to provide evidence to back your point e.g. If the agent alleges that, they called the hotel and no valid reservation was found for you, do your independent research e.g. calling the hotel yourself, the agent might have dialed the wrong number or got the wrong person at the other end or miss pronounced your name or the other person miss-heard or even the agent doesn't just like you and are lying, be prepare to proof him wrong by making your own calls, you can do this subtlety with him there or directly with the administrative judge, if you decline to sign the form to withdraw your visa application. However, you have the right to admit guilt and violation of certain US immigration laws and withdraw your visa. Hence, they give you that form to complete and since you are admitting guilt, those forms only have one answer..."If you are admitting that you do not have a hotel reservation" there is only one answer to that question. Once you have signed the form, only then can your visa be revoked because you have withdraw your application.

If you choose not to sign the form, they will send you to jail from where you will wait until a judge hears your case and will most likely side with the agent and still send you parking, and will also give you more years on your ban or make it permanent. Most people don't want to sleep in jail to await trial or face the possibility of a life ban, hence they sign the form at the airport admitting guilt, then withdraw their visa application. tongue
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by lebete3000: 6:05pm On Mar 10, 2017
chukxie:
If only Nigeria could do the same to some of the hundreds of American citizens visiting yearly. This is why I love the Chinese government. If Chinese citizens were being arbitrarily and discriminately denied entry into the U.S., the Chinese government would do the same to Americans visiting China.

China is a Nation, Nigeria is a Country. Wisdom to discern between the two I pray for you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by ttmacoy: 8:15pm On Mar 10, 2017
How have you been?

I do agree the inmigration officials may have been emboldened since trump came in but emboldened to do their job. I still have not see any proof Nigerians are targeted as Dabiri or some here are claiming. Even during and before Obama Nigerians as well other nationals have been turned back or pulled aside for further questions of deemed necessary and some of the cases people are putting up do not pass scrutiny in my opinion.

Look at below post from someone who got turned back and he too will claim it's because of trump but his story in from of the border official doesn't even hold up.

Dear VO
I had a terrible experience in new York airport. I was refused entry. Reason been my relative address had changed from when I applied for the visa. I was supposed to stay for 13 days. The officer tried to contact the number and address on the form without success. My uncle had told me his wife will receive me. The number he gave me was that of the girlfriend in new York and I think that's where the problem started. The reason for this I guess its because of the wife's attitude problem. But the officer new she was not exactly the wife. When he went tru my uncles status he was able to get his wife number
At that time the wife was already trying to reach me. The wife was in california and she told the cbp officer that she will buy me a ticket to LA. But at that point the guys mind was made up. I had to withdraw my visas voluntarily so as not to be forced out and banned. The officer said i can contact the VO in Nigeria. My questions

Can I explain what happened to the Vo and still be able to apply in the future. If yes how do I go about it. I was only made to know i was refused entry. I don't know if I was banned.

If I still want to attend the visit coz am currently on 4wks leave wish just started. How do I go about it. This was my first trip outside Nigeria and I had boasted about in the office. Just don't know how to face that. Lol.

I also want the record set straight as I will be eligible for secondment overseas in my firm next year. It might be in our USA office. I don't want it to affect me when the opportunity comes.

Need your advice please

Lucasbalo:
I wasn't going to get in the middle of the immigration debacle but one thing for sure is Trump anti immigrant policy has gotten a lot of things to do with the way some of the ICE agents at the border goes overboard to enforce the law. They have been emboldened by trump and some of this ICE agents have their own biases too. Some of them go beyond the call of duty to enforce the law.
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Lucasbalo(m): 8:23pm On Mar 10, 2017
ttmacoy:
How have you been?

I do agree the inmigration officials may have been emboldened since trump came in but emboldened to do their job. I still have not see any proof Nigerians are targeted as Dabiri or some here are claiming. Even during and before Obama Nigerians as well other nationals have been turned back or pulled aside for further questions of deemed necessary and some of the cases people are putting up do not pass scrutiny in my opinion.

Look at below post from someone who got turned back and he too will claim it's because of trump but his story in from of the border official doesn't even hold up.

Dear VO
I had a terrible experience in new York airport. I was refused entry. Reason been my relative address had changed from when I applied for the visa. I was supposed to stay for 13 days. The officer tried to contact the number and address on the form without success. My uncle had told me his wife will receive me. The number he gave me was that of the girlfriend in new York and I think that's where the problem started. The reason for this I guess its because of the wife's attitude problem. But the officer new she was not exactly the wife. When he went tru my uncles status he was able to get his wife number
At that time the wife was already trying to reach me. The wife was in california and she told the cbp officer that she will buy me a ticket to LA. But at that point the guys mind was made up. I had to withdraw my visas voluntarily so as not to be forced out and banned. The officer said i can contact the VO in Nigeria. My questions

Can I explain what happened to the Vo and still be able to apply in the future. If yes how do I go about it. I was only made to know i was refused entry. I don't know if I was banned.

If I still want to attend the visit coz am currently on 4wks leave wish just started. How do I go about it. This was my first trip outside Nigeria and I had boasted about in the office. Just don't know how to face that. Lol.

I also want the record set straight as I will be eligible for secondment overseas in my firm next year. It might be in our USA office. I don't want it to affect me when the opportunity comes.

Need your advice please

You are absolutely correct. I traveled often because of my job and I visit my parents every Xmas, you will be shocked at the kind of questions these ICE throw at you even though I have been using Blue all my life. Some of them are just on ego trip being boosted by Trump anti immigration stance.

3 Likes

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by erico2k2(m): 9:13pm On Mar 10, 2017
Lucasbalo:
You are absolutely correct. I traveled often because of my job and I visit my parents every Xmas, you will be shocked at the kind of questions these ICE throw at you even though I have been using Blue all my life. Some of them are just on ego trip being boosted by Trump anti immigration stance.
WHen ever you have the upper hand plz blast them, ie make them look xtreemly stupid, this is what I always do to them lot at our own Airport.I travel with my green passport and they always like to be funny, I always put them where they belong.
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by manny4life(m): 9:39pm On Mar 10, 2017
Many of you were celebrating Trump's victory, it has even started and many are complaining. Welcome to the new America.
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by tealaw(m): 10:14pm On Mar 10, 2017
Nigerians think say charisma go get dem into yankee. Stop invading other ppl's country. U think say immigration officer na mumu. Him no knw ur intentions?

1 Like

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by amanikondo: 10:49pm On Mar 10, 2017
Your crime is what you have on your phone. I have always told my people before coming. Clean any incriminating discussions on your phone. I have up to 10 cases of this.

2 Likes

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by chukxie(m): 12:06am On Mar 11, 2017
seguno2:

Did America oblige us to allow them derive more from our country than the aids we beg from them each year?
Did America force us to be corrupt?
Did you read that I said %?
What do you gain from making excuses and blaming others for our failures?
How does that help us to get better?

I was actually on the same page with you, mate. Read my post again.

1 Like

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by seguno2: 1:12am On Mar 11, 2017
chukxie:
I was actually on the same page with you, mate. Read my post again.

Okay.
Thanks for the correction.
Cheers
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by iukpe: 4:41am On Mar 11, 2017
America must go!
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by chukxie(m): 5:50am On Mar 11, 2017
seguno2:

Okay.
Thanks for the correction.
Cheers

You re welcome, mate! Have a glorious weekend!

1 Like

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by chukxie(m): 5:53am On Mar 11, 2017
lebete3000:

China is a Nation, Nigeria is a Country. Wisdom to discern between the two I pray for you.

Mr. Discernment: Could you lecture me on the difference between a nation and a country?
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by lebete3000: 9:00am On Mar 11, 2017
chukxie:

Mr. Discernment: Could you lecture me on the difference between a nation and a country?

A Nation is an "association" of people dat are happy and interested in being 2geda thereby working in concerted effort with an aim 2 bring success and honour to the association which each member in turn enjoys e.g USA and most developed countries.

A Country on the other hand is a "group" of people with no interest in being together and are governed by people with selfish interest with no concern in d betterment of the association but each man just trying to chop his own e.g Nigeria and most African countries.
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by chukxie(m): 11:03am On Mar 11, 2017
lebete3000:

A Nation is an "association" of people dat are happy and interested in being 2geda thereby working in concerted effort with an aim 2 bring success and honour to the association which each member in turn enjoys e.g USA and most developed countries.

A Country on the other hand is a "group" of people with no interest in being together and are governed by people with selfish interest with no concern in d betterment of the association but each man just trying to chop his own e.g Nigeria and most African countries.

I like your humour. Made me laugh.

1 Like

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by iukpe: 11:16am On Mar 11, 2017
lebete3000:

shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed so Nigeria follow? Abeg what is the meaning of ZOO?
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by lebete3000: 11:34am On Mar 11, 2017
iukpe:

shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed so Nigeria follow? Abeg what is the meaning of ZOO?

A Zoo is where anything goes. Corruption in all strata of the government and anyone with power can do as he/she likes. Conniving & Brutalizing ppl to achieve their devious whims and caprice.

It's no difference with life in d Jungle where the only thing a Lion thinks on seeing a Zebra is to eat it up.
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by ilymoa: 11:29am On Mar 17, 2017
Note that there is Delta in Nigeria and it flies directly to Atlanta. Not New York. Only Arik use to fly directly to new York. United was the airline that pulled out of Nigeria and they only use to fly to Houston, Texas. Let's endeavour to get our facts right before posting online.
berrystunn:

You are right.. They said next time fly direct to NY,
It's only one airline that can fly direct to NY Delta airline

But no delta airline in Nigeria.. Because of Buhari body
odor.

To risk airfrance or klm.. It's cost 900k. Tickets

1600 euro

1 Like

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by ilymoa: 11:38am On Mar 17, 2017
Note that a valid U.S visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. Infact, the main interview is that one at the Point of Entry (POE). Also, if there are inconsistencies in your story or something does not add up, you can be sent back.

I do not think these cases are tied to the Trump temporary ban on certain countries. Check out the ratio of Nigerians travelling to those denied entry. We will see that it is not that high. Hundreds if not thousands of Nigerians are on a flight more that 5 - 6 days a week going to the US and about 4-6 get denied entry which has been happening since forever and all of a sudden we think it's because of the temporary ban?

Endeavour to get your papers intact and be consistent in your plans so that you will have no issues.

2 Likes

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Nobody: 5:08am On Mar 18, 2017
chukxie:
If only Nigeria could do the same to some of the hundreds of American citizens visiting yearly. This is why I love the Chinese government. If Chinese citizens were being arbitrarily and discriminately denied entry into the U.S., the Chinese government would do the same to Americans visiting China.

Keep stroking yourself.
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Nobody: 5:09am On Mar 18, 2017
ilymoa:
Note that a valid U.S visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. Infact, the main interview is that one at the Point of Entry (POE). Also, if there are inconsistencies in your story or something does not add up, you can be sent back.

I do not think these cases are tied to the Trump temporary ban on certain countries. Check out the ratio of Nigerians travelling to those denied entry. We will see that it is not that high. Hundreds if not thousands of Nigerians are on a flight more that 5 - 6 days a week going to the US and about 4-6 get denied entry which has been happening since forever and all of a sudden we think it's because of the temporary ban?

Endeavour to get your papers intact and be consistent in your plans so that you will have no issues.

Spot on.

Our people like to do wayowayo.
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by chukxie(m): 4:30pm On Mar 18, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Keep stroking yourself.

Is that what your do to yourself?
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Nobody: 6:22pm On Mar 18, 2017
chukxie:

Is that what your do to yourself?

My posts on Nairaland are grounded in reality. Yours on the other hand shows infantilism.
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by chukxie(m): 12:09am On Mar 19, 2017
EgunMogaji:

My posts on Nairaland are grounded in reality. Yours on the other hand shows infantilism.

Whatever. Have a nice day!
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Nobody: 12:15am On Mar 19, 2017
chukxie:

Whatever. Have a nice day!

I'll have a very nice day for sure, I don't need your wishes wink
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by chukxie(m): 12:49am On Mar 19, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I'll have a very nice day for sure, I don't need your wishes wink

Whatever, mate!
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Nobody: 2:11am On Mar 19, 2017
chukxie:

Whatever, mate!

Not your mate, shoe get size grin

1 Like

Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by chukxie(m): 6:33am On Mar 19, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Not your mate, show get size grin

You meant 'shoe', yeah?
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by Nobody: 6:36am On Mar 19, 2017
chukxie:

You meant 'shoe', yeah?

That too wink
Re: Struggles Of Two Nigerians At A US Airport by chukxie(m): 7:46am On Mar 19, 2017
EgunMogaji:

That too wink

The spelling is easy!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

El-Rufai Builds Kabala Costain 230m Bridge (Kaduna Urban Renewal Project) / How A Lagos Driver Transported A Horse.. / My Visit To Air Force Base In Greece (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.