Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,590 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes (8292 Views)

3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint / Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Brake Pads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by AutoReportNG2: 8:36pm On Mar 09, 2017
Virtually all modern vehicles that use internal combustion engines come equipped with fuel pumps. The fuel pump is the component that is responsible for delivering fuel from the gas tank to the the engine at the appropriate pressure required to meet performance demands. When the key is turned on, the fuel pump is activated and pressurized, which can be heard as a quiet whine or hum in some cars. The fuel pumps equipped on most modern vehicles are electric pumps that are mounted in the fuel tank. However, some vehicles are equipped with inline or mechanical style fuel pumps. Because the fuel pump is the component responsible for supplying the engine with the fuel required for it to run, any issues with it can cause major drivability and performance problems. Usually a bad or failing fuel pump will produce a few symptoms that alert the driver of a potential issue.

1. Whining noise from the fuel tank

One of the first symptoms of a problem with the fuel pump is a loud whining sound. An old or worn fuel pump may produce a noticeably loud whine or howl when it is running. Most fuel pumps will produce a quiet hum during their normal operation, however an excessively loud whine coming from the fuel tank is usually a sign that there is an issue.

2. Difficulty starting

Another symptom that is commonly associated with a problematic fuel pump is difficulty starting. Because of how they operate (constantly running whenever the ignition is turned on) over time fuel pumps can eventually wear out and weaken. A weak fuel pump may still pump fuel, however the vehicle may experience difficulty starting as a result of the lack in pressure. A weakened fuel pump can cause the vehicle to take more cranks to start than normal, and in more serious cases may even cause the vehicle to require multiple turns of the key before it will start.

3. Misfires and a decrease in power, acceleration, and fuel efficiency

Another symptom of a problem with the fuel pump is engine performance issues. As the fuel pump is what supplies the vehicle with the fuel required for combustion to occur, any issues with it can affect the engine’s fuel supply and cause issues. A faulty pump with low pressure will disturb the engine’s air-fuel ratio, which can cause all sorts of performance problems. Aside from hard starting, the vehicle may experience misfires, a loss in power and acceleration, a decrease in fuel efficiency, and even engine stalling.

4. Car is not starting

Another more serious symptom of an issue with the fuel pump is a no start condition. If the fuel pump fails completely, or to the point of not being able to provide enough fuel for the engine to run, the vehicle will experience a no start condition. The engine will still crank when the key is turned, however it will be unable to start due to the lack of fuel. A no start condition can also be caused by a wide variety of other issues, so having the vehicle properly diagnosed is highly recommended.

Fuel pumps are found on virtually all internal combustion engine equipped vehicles in one form or another. Most fuel pumps are built to last, however over time, as the vehicle enters high mileage, it is not uncommon for fuel pumps to require replacement. Another reason fuel pumps fail is if you regularly keep less than 1/4 of a tank of fuel in your car. If your vehicle is displaying any of the symptoms above, or you suspect that your fuel pump may be having an issue, have the vehicle inspected by a professional technician.

Source
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/03/these-maybe-symptoms-of-bad-or-failing.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by AutoReportNG2: 8:38pm On Mar 09, 2017
Do you have additional tips?

Please educate us more

Lalasticlala, Seun, Marpol

2 Likes

Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by Ekeeyhandsome(m): 6:41am On Mar 10, 2017
The person below me,please say something, cox I'm clueless here..
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by sucreblazing(m): 6:43am On Mar 10, 2017
good one
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by adigun002(m): 6:44am On Mar 10, 2017
thanks
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by realGURU(m): 6:44am On Mar 10, 2017
Gud
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by ndiko: 6:47am On Mar 10, 2017
[s]

Another symptom of a problem with the fuel pump is engine performance issues. As the fuel pump is what supplies the vehicle with the fuel required for combustion to occur, any issues with it can affect the engine’s fuel supply and cause issues. A faulty pump with low pressure will disturb the engine’s air-fuel ratio, which can cause all sorts of performance problems. Aside from hard starting, the vehicle may experience misfires, a loss in power and acceleration, a decrease in fuel efficiency, and even engine stalling.
[/s]

Bad fuel (PMO & AGO) not properly refined or not suitable for the vehicle triggers the same effect. One may think it's fuel pump. Look into this area too. FYI.

1 Like

Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by iambijo(m): 6:48am On Mar 10, 2017
Thank you op
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by Emmidu2017(m): 6:49am On Mar 10, 2017
Good one more tips but Bro
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by AdeniyiA(m): 6:51am On Mar 10, 2017
AutoReportNG2:
Do you have additional tips?

Please educate us more

Lalasticlala, Seun, Marpol
. @ topic
These are the signs/symptoms of bad fuel pump and not the causes

2 Likes

Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by SIRKAY98(m): 6:53am On Mar 10, 2017
K
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by sheffyUTD(m): 6:56am On Mar 10, 2017
ndiko:
[s]

[/s]

Bad fuel (PMO & AGO) not properly refined or not suitable for the vehicle triggers the same effect. One may think it's fuel pump. Look into this area too. FYI.

The point is valid. I have experienced it before.

1 Like

Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by Ricmayak1: 7:26am On Mar 10, 2017
ndiko:
[s]

[/s]

Why is this striked out? What is said is entirely true. Engine can be running lean or rich due to bad/incompatible fuel pump. This can cause misfires and noticeable performance issues.
I have seen this quite some number of times.

2 Likes

Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by ogundeleai(m): 7:51am On Mar 10, 2017
ndiko:
[s]

[/s]

Your comment indicates that you agree with what he/she wrote down and you provide additional clue to that effect.. My only concern is why you deleted the point you agree with
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by Nobody: 8:00am On Mar 10, 2017
Please change the topic to 'Signs' not 'Causes'.
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by abusurv(m): 8:01am On Mar 10, 2017
One of the problem that causes low power output of the engine is when the fuel filter is bad the fuel pump is made to work harder in order to supply fuel to the engine.
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by UcLloyd: 8:15am On Mar 10, 2017
My car is not starting, my mechanic is suggesting fuel pump. So we took the fuel pump for a diagnostic test and it came up 60/100. Please should I change following all I told u?
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by ndiko: 9:21am On Mar 10, 2017
Ricmayak1:

Why is this striked out? What is said is entirely true. Engine can be running lean or rich due to bad/incompatible fuel pump. This can cause misfires and noticeable performance issues.
I have seen this quite some number of times.

I agree. The strike out tool was d only tool I could find. His point is valid, no doubt.
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by Mavor: 9:30am On Mar 10, 2017
I just changed my fuel pump yesterday. Plus the fuel tank was very dirty so it had to be cleaned. All in all, plus transportation for the auto-mechanic to and from Ladipo and his workmanship, I spent almost 45k. 2nd time I'm changing fuel pump in a year. Dont know wassup with that. When I no dey pluck money from tree angry

1 Like

Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by ndiko: 9:45am On Mar 10, 2017
ogundeleai:

Your comment indicates that you agree with what he/she wrote down and you provide additional clue to that effect.. My only concern is why you deleted the point you agree with
It was struck out in error. Sir.
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by nkemdi89(f): 9:49am On Mar 10, 2017
Mavor:
I just changed my fuel pump yesterday. Plus the fuel tank was very dirty so it had to be cleaned. All in all, plus transportation for the auto-mechanic to and from Ladipo and his workmanship, I spent almost 45k. 2nd time I'm changing fuel pump in a year. Dont know wassup with that. When I no dey pluck money from tree angry
What type of car are you using? Fuel pump ranges from 2500 to 18k for Toyota products, it's really not that expensive, clean your nozzles too in case you purchase bad fuel, if your vehicle uses injector always use injector cleaner, also ensure your mechanic uses the right fuel pump for you and fix it well too.
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by UcLloyd: 10:07am On Mar 10, 2017
UcLloyd:
My car is not starting, my mechanic is suggesting fuel pump. So we took the fuel pump for a diagnostic test and it came up 60/100. Please should I change following all I told u?
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by UcLloyd: 10:08am On Mar 10, 2017
[quote author=UcLloyd post=54448083][/quote]
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by UcLloyd: 10:09am On Mar 10, 2017
UcLloyd:
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by Mavor: 10:31am On Mar 10, 2017
nkemdi89:

What type of car are you using? Fuel pump ranges from 2500 to 18k for Toyota products, it's really not that expensive, clean your nozzles too in case you purchase bad fuel, if your vehicle uses injector always use injector cleaner, also ensure your mechanic uses the right fuel pump for you and fix it well too.
i use a camry 2011 se. i went to a Total station close to my office today. I applied their fuel treatment product before filling my tank. The mechanic advised I do that like 3 times on the next tank fill.
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by nkemdi89(f): 10:40am On Mar 10, 2017
Mavor:
i use a camry 2011 se. i went to a Total station close to my office today. I applied their fuel treatment product before filling my tank. The mechanic advised I do that like 3 times on the next tank fill.
If it still give you problem the best thing is to empty the tank, remove every drop, then service the nozzles or change it, then try another filling station like nnpc, change your fuel filter too, and please you have changed fuel twice with same mechanic? Please change your mechanic, it's even the job of an auto electrician.
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by phanshark(m): 10:41am On Mar 10, 2017
AutoReportNG2:
Virtually all modern vehicles that use internal combustion engines come equipped with fuel pumps. The fuel pump is the component that is responsible for delivering fuel from the gas tank to the the engine at the appropriate pressure required to meet performance demands. When the key is turned on, the fuel pump is activated and pressurized, which can be heard as a quiet whine or hum in some cars. The fuel pumps equipped on most modern vehicles are electric pumps that are mounted in the fuel tank. However, some vehicles are equipped with inline or mechanical style fuel pumps. Because the fuel pump is the component responsible for supplying the engine with the fuel required for it to run, any issues with it can cause major drivability and performance problems. Usually a bad or failing fuel pump will produce a few symptoms that alert the driver of a potential issue.

1. Whining noise from the fuel tank

One of the first symptoms of a problem with the fuel pump is a loud whining sound. An old or worn fuel pump may produce a noticeably loud whine or howl when it is running. Most fuel pumps will produce a quiet hum during their normal operation, however an excessively loud whine coming from the fuel tank is usually a sign that there is an issue.

2. Difficulty starting

Another symptom that is commonly associated with a problematic fuel pump is difficulty starting. Because of how they operate (constantly running whenever the ignition is turned on) over time fuel pumps can eventually wear out and weaken. A weak fuel pump may still pump fuel, however the vehicle may experience difficulty starting as a result of the lack in pressure. A weakened fuel pump can cause the vehicle to take more cranks to start than normal, and in more serious cases may even cause the vehicle to require multiple turns of the key before it will start.

4. Car is not starting

Another more serious symptom of an issue with the fuel pump is a no start condition. If the fuel pump fails completely, or to the point of not being able to provide enough fuel for the engine to run, the vehicle will experience a no start condition. The engine will still crank when the key is turned, however it will be unable to start due to the lack of fuel. A no start condition can also be caused by a wide variety of other issues, so having the vehicle properly diagnosed is highly recommended.

Fuel pumps are found on virtually all internal combustion engine equipped vehicles in one form or another. Most fuel pumps are built to last, however over time, as the vehicle enters high mileage, it is not uncommon for fuel pumps to require replacement. Another reason fuel pumps fail is if you regularly keep less than 1/4 of a tank of fuel in your car. If your vehicle is displaying any of the symptoms above, or you suspect that your fuel pump may be having an issue, have the vehicle inspected by a professional technician.

Source
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/03/these-maybe-symptoms-of-bad-or-failing.html
this is my battle now,am even waiting 4 the electrician to come & fix it "Now"
Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by Mavor: 10:44am On Mar 10, 2017
nkemdi89:

If it still give you problem the best thing is to empty the tank, remove every drop, then service the nozzles or change it, then try another filling station like nnpc, change your fuel filter too, and please you have changed fuel twice with same mechanic? Please change your mechanic, it's even the job of an auto electrician.
actually, its an auto-electrician and i changed from my old mechanic to him. he changed the complete kit, fuel filter plus fuel pump. The old filter was very dirty. maybe i will stop using Total. Dont know if it's their fuel that is dirty.

1 Like

Re: Bad Or Failing Fuel Pump? These Maybe The Causes by UcLloyd: 11:10am On Mar 10, 2017
So much for advice section. I'm being ignored in the worse way. Thanks very much to u all

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

List Out Functions You'll Want New Cars To Have. / Help, My Eod Is Delays In Changing Gear / Help Me Choose Between Honda Accord 2005 (DC) And Toyotal Camry 2008 (muscle)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.