Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:24 AM

Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint (15915 Views)

Hondas And Other Cars With Failed Ball Joint On The Roads (Photos) / How To Avoid The Common Honda Ball Joint Problem / 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by obafemee80(m): 2:30am On Aug 01, 2017
[img]http:///a/img924/1829/uEHgWe.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///a/img924/4169/6mLnP2.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///a/img923/118/Yo9tE4.png[/img]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62bVn7E8gyk
How to Check if a Ball Joint is Bad

Ball joints are an important suspension component found on virtually all modern vehicles.They are a spherical bearing in a socket that serve as one of the main suspension pivot points connecting the control arms of the vehicle to the steering knuckles.
The front ball joints allow the front wheels and suspension to move back and forth as well as up and down when the steering wheel is turned and the vehicle is traveling over the road.
The following are some of the symptoms of a failing front ball joints that can alert the driver a problem has occurred.

1)Clunking noises coming from the front suspension
As ball joints wear out they become loose in the socket and rattle and knock as the suspension travels up and down over the road.Worn ball joints may knock or clunk when traveling on rough roads,speed bumps,or when turning.Usually,the clunking will get continuously louder as the ball joints wear,or until they eventually completely fail and break.

2)Excessive vibration from the front of the vehicle
Worn ball joints will be loose in their sockets and vibrate excessively as the vehicle is in motion.The vibration will usually start from the affected ball joint,either from the right or left sides of the vehicle.In some cases,the vibration may be felt through the steering wheel as well.

3)Steering wandering to the left or right
When the ball joints are in good condition,and the wheels are in proper alignment the steering wheel should stay mostly straight and direct in response.Worn ball joints will cause the vehicle steering to wander or drift to the left or right,which will require the driver to compensate for the issue.

Failure

[img]http:///a/img923/9126/M7v0LV.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///a/img923/1369/BlgVDw.png[/img]

Both Pics above are one of the worst things that can happen to your car when you continue to drive on a bad ball joint.
Excessively worn ball joints can break, causing the wheel to collapse and control of the vehicle to be lost. 
If a ball joint fails,the results can be dangerous as the wheel's angle becomes unconstrained, causing loss of control.Because the tire will be at an unintended angle,the vehicle will come to an abrupt halt,damaging the tires.Also, during failure,debris can damage other parts of the vehicle.

Maintaining And When To Replace Ball Joints
Ball joints should have grease added to them every time the vehicle’s oil is changed(every 3,000 miles). 
Ball joints may last 70,000 to 150,000 miles or more.Their lifespan depends on usage,road conditions and exposure to road splash and salt.If a joint is worn,it has reached the end of its service life and should be replaced.Worn ball joints can be dangerous and should be replaced by a professional mechanic.

Credits:
https://www.yourmechanic.com/
https://www.wikipedia.org
https://autojosh.com/symptoms-bad-failing-ball-joint/

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by babarazy: 2:43am On Aug 01, 2017
Op is right on No 2.

NAIRALAND Has A New Problem , The 'LIKE' Botton, is Not Working. TRY IT

13 Likes

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:57am On Aug 01, 2017

3 Likes

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by Nobody: 4:02am On Aug 01, 2017
The way Toyota fans would choke any Honda fan that tries to talk too much on this thread.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by obekediamondfuto(m): 12:40pm On Aug 01, 2017
PaperLace:
The way Toyota fans would choke any Honda fan that tries to talk too much on this thread.

Asin ehn, 70,000km. hmmmm some brands tho
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by moscobabs(m): 6:33am On Aug 02, 2017
All Honda car owners should come and learn o

Team Nissan!!!

1 Like

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by mannycrown: 6:37am On Aug 02, 2017
HONDA deserves an AWARD of EXCELLENCE for FAILING BALL JOINTS!
They're very outstanding with this shit. I think now it's no more about Nigerian roads, because even the cars used in the OP's illustrations are all HONDA!

4 Likes

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by dayleke: 6:40am On Aug 02, 2017
Nice one....
Just had mine changed recently .....
2005 VW passat...
Rugged car to badt gan...
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by dayleke: 6:41am On Aug 02, 2017
The pic up there,
Is that what is called "O ya owo?"
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by femi4: 6:41am On Aug 02, 2017
Thank God I m still alive......ball joints failed @ 60km/hr.

The challenge is getting a good replacement. We have fake/chinko ball joints in the market

3 Likes

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by jmaxjohn(m): 7:21am On Aug 02, 2017
femi4:
Thank God I m still alive......ball joints failed @ 60km/hr.

The challenge is getting a good replacement. We have fake/chinko ball joints in the market

Na honda abi grin

6 Likes

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by femi4: 7:22am On Aug 02, 2017
jmaxjohn:

Na honda abi grin
yesoo

5 Likes

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by chinoo44(m): 7:31am On Aug 02, 2017
ball joints is the only thing that scar's me away from driving Honda
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by paymentvoucher: 7:32am On Aug 02, 2017
Team TOYOTA

My Shaft make noise for exactly a month before i changed it.

If to say naa HONDA ehn

Let me start be going!!!!

1 Like

Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by otokx(m): 7:36am On Aug 02, 2017
chinoo44:
ball joints is the only thing that scar's me away from driving Honda

Newer models don't have that problem.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by Chukwujakes: 7:51am On Aug 02, 2017
Pls any good Nissan mechanic around ojodu-Lagos? Need ur help.(ball joint & alignment)
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 02, 2017
Been hearing a funny sound from my front tire (drivers side). So na suspension. How much to change am. 04 corrola
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by Harmani85: 8:04am On Aug 02, 2017
To my fellow Bitcoinners, bitcoin traded slightly lower on Tuesday as digital currency miners completed a split of the digital currency and worked to create more of the new, split-off coin called bitcoin cash.
"A Bitcoin block was just mined that's invalid for Bitcoin Cash nodes! [That] means the chain has now forked, 80% are still in support of BTC, (not BCC), my rate now is #380 per coin and I credit you within 10mins after confirmation from your network , 08034303175, my fb is Ayowale Adetifa
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by tooth4tooth: 8:54am On Aug 02, 2017
I think Honda has been able to advance the ball joint issue in their automobiles
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by Nobody: 9:22am On Aug 02, 2017
pls obafemee80 does road water effects the ball joint cus in this rainy season I drive thru water often. I just owned the car recently it used to be my mums own. I know she changes some things in d wheel sha esp at rainy seasons like this complaining that whenever its rainy season like this, the "so and so" thing gives problems and have to be changed. Now that its basically mine and i dont even drive far daily...just like 30min from home to work or school sometimes, i wanna believe I won't be changing the ball joint every rainy season yearly.

I hear some sounds now and the mechanic said its just d linkage that needs replacement (1 slim rod hanging BTW d shock absorber and the axle or so). Pls enlighten me. thanks
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by coalcoal1(m): 12:06pm On Aug 02, 2017
great info
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by donqx: 12:24pm On Aug 02, 2017
hmmm
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by scarr: 4:26pm On Aug 02, 2017
Where my fellow Honda people wink
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by richiepolymer(m): 6:10pm On Aug 02, 2017
I'm still an advocate of rear wheel drive vehicles. Why the heck is so much emphasis placed on the front wheel. Ball joint issues are seen mostly on front wheel drives. Now its no longer a Honda issue alone. I've seen Toyotas having this problem. It may be due to poor maintenance though.
Anyways, with the coming of electric cars, I don't think this problem will ever show up.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by folawalesegun: 6:45pm On Aug 02, 2017
When it comes to the issue of ball joint, no car brand is left out.
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by folawalesegun: 6:49pm On Aug 02, 2017
When it comes to the issue of ball joint, no car brand is left out
Re: Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint by dgitrader(m): 6:21pm On Mar 02, 2019
Interesting. wink

(1) (Reply)

Innoson Plans To Establish New Plant In Owerri, Produce 60,000 Units Annually / Does Your Car Turn Heads? / Is Ford Escape A Good Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.