Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,832 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

APO 6 JUDGEMENT: Reject Unlawful Orders, Group Tell Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APO 6 JUDGEMENT: Reject Unlawful Orders, Group Tell Police (737 Views)

Apo Six: Nigeria Police Reinstates Officer Who Killed Igbo Traders / Nigeria Is Sinking - Apc Support Group Tell Tinubu And Buhari / VP Osinbajo Blasts Nigerian Police, Judges For Unlawful Detention Of Suspects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

APO 6 JUDGEMENT: Reject Unlawful Orders, Group Tell Police by mrrights: 9:47pm On Mar 09, 2017
Reject unlawful orders, group tell Police

A Federal Capital Territory High Court on Thursday found two police
officers, Ezekiel Acheneje and Baba Emmanuel, guilty of extra judicial
killing of six traders in 2005.

The court presided over by Justice Ishaq Bello convicted the two
police officers to death for culpable homicide. Although, the two
officers claimed they were ordered to carry out the killing by
superior officer Danjuma Ibrahim, who was then a deputy Commissioner
of Police, the court however freed Danjuma and two others due to lack
of evidence against them.

We at the Foundation for Peace Professionals welcome this judgment
with open arm, even though we feel bad about the prospect of losing
two fellow human beings. We do not want anyone being killed, but when
police officers, saddled with the responsibility to protect, assault,
violate and extra-judicially kill defenseless citizens, nothing can be
expected as judgment, other than serving them back in like sum.

On regular basis, we hear of police assault and brutality against
defenseless citizens, we also read of extra- judicial killings,
torture and other illegal activities being carried out by the police,
but officers must understand that being a police is not a license to
violate others and commit crime.

What we desire is a peaceful and violation free police force, in which
officers treat citizens with high regard, taking into account their
rights and responsibility and we hope that this judgment will serve as
a lesson to all officers.

From this judgment, it should be clear to all police officers that
they are not above the law. It should also be clear that the
fundamental human rights of all citizens cannot be violated without
consequences. If officers’ act beyond their lawful authority as
contained in the police act, the law will catch up with them, no
matter how long.

The law doesn’t permit officers to carry out unlawful orders, even if
it is ordered by the Inspector General of police. More importantly,
the law forbade officers from violating basic rights of citizens, no
matter how much they are provoked.

As seen clearly in this judgment, each officer will be held
accountable to their own deeds, irrespective of who ordered it. To be
on the safe side, officers must learn to reject unlawful orders made
by their superiors, because if they are dragged before the law, only
those who carried out such unlawful orders will face the music.

We therefore call on all Police Officers to learn to act responsibly
and within the ambit of law, while carrying out their duties of
enforcing the law.

AMB. Abdulrazaq O Hamzat
President, Foundation for Peace Professionals
Discus4now@gmail.com
Re: APO 6 JUDGEMENT: Reject Unlawful Orders, Group Tell Police by reyscrub(m): 10:21pm On Mar 09, 2017
Though I feel so sorry for the two officers to be executed soon on the ground of taking citizens life illegally, nevertheless I like the judgement which will serve as deterrent to other law enforcement agency.

Truly this is new Nigeria where judges themselves are facing trial, where past governors are being sent to jail of 5 years without bail option, where law enforcement agency are being imprison and executed for abuse of power and where president transfer full power to the VP without hitch.

Intact I start to be loving this country gradually and I believed that God will help us through the rest huddles soon.

God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: APO 6 JUDGEMENT: Reject Unlawful Orders, Group Tell Police by Jlow2: 10:46pm On Mar 09, 2017
sorry to say, but this kind of judgement would not have been passed during pdp s led federal government, they have fustrated the case since 2005,i urge every right thinking person though we might be hungry as citizens now, but nigeria has no future if pdp gets power again,am not a member of any political party, i want a country wer innocent and defenceless citizens get justice from brutality of security operatives whom re supposed to serve and protect it citizens.

1 Like

Re: APO 6 JUDGEMENT: Reject Unlawful Orders, Group Tell Police by Mekus68: 10:55pm On Mar 09, 2017
reyscrub:
Though I feel so sorry for the two officers to be executed soon on the ground of taking citizens life illegally, nevertheless I like the judgement which will serve as deterrent to other law enforcement agency.

Truly this is new Nigeria where judges themselves are facing trial, where past governors are being sent to jail of 5 years without bail option, where law enforcement agency are being imprison and executed for abuse of power and where president transfer full power to the VP without hitch.

Intact I start to be loving this country gradually and I believed that God will help us through the rest huddles soon.

God bless Nigeria

Oga at the top, you have the right to love this zoo of a country because of what you wrote up there, but don't cry when Fulani herdsmen invade your village, kill and maim your people and go away unchallenged nor be arrested by the law enforcement agencies.
Re: APO 6 JUDGEMENT: Reject Unlawful Orders, Group Tell Police by daben1(m): 10:55pm On Mar 09, 2017
reyscrub:

God bless Nigeria
i'll love this country more, if Buhari returns not!
Re: APO 6 JUDGEMENT: Reject Unlawful Orders, Group Tell Police by mrrights: 8:05pm On Mar 10, 2017
Hum
Re: APO 6 JUDGEMENT: Reject Unlawful Orders, Group Tell Police by dokyOloye: 9:14pm On Mar 10, 2017
The other police officers charged with them are Danjuma Ibrahim, Othman Abdulsalami,Sadiq Salami.
They have sacrificed the christians among them.
Same way Murtala Nyako looted for 7yrs and has a case with EFCC,but d person that took over after his impeachment and looted for just 1yr was quickly convicted and Nyako is still walking about free.
And guess what,d name is 'James'.

1 Like

Re: APO 6 JUDGEMENT: Reject Unlawful Orders, Group Tell Police by mrrights: 10:07pm On Mar 10, 2017
dokyOloye:
The other police officers charged with them are Danjuma Ibrahim, Othman Abdulsalami,Sadiq Salami.
They have sacrificed the christians among them.
Same way Murtala Nyako looted for 7yrs and has a case with EFCC,but d person that took over after his impeachment and looted for just 1yr was quickly convicted and Nyako is still walking about free.
And guess what,d name is 'James'.
Are you Alright at all?
Re: APO 6 JUDGEMENT: Reject Unlawful Orders, Group Tell Police by dokyOloye: 10:30pm On Mar 10, 2017
mrrights:
Are you Alright at all?
Bia,this islamist,don't ever in your life quote me again.
Is Ur brain paining U?
Are U a child or U don't know d facts of d case?
FYI,trouble started when this same Danjuma policeman,a DPO at that time, made amorous advances towards d only girl among the 6 in a club and she rejected his advances.
He then monitored them till they left the club and quickly moved to to d checkpoint at d street and ordered the junior officers manning d checkpoint to open fire on their car that they were armed robbers.
Why on earth should he be acquitted if not for foul play.
Don quote me again and say rubbish or I go pour shit on U.
Re: APO 6 JUDGEMENT: Reject Unlawful Orders, Group Tell Police by mrrights: 10:44pm On Mar 10, 2017
dokyOloye:
Bia,this islamist,don't ever in your life quote me again.
Is Ur brain paining U?
Don't worry, maybe the next time a police officer shoot, it's you that's going to be killed. Then when the officer is sentenced to death, we would say it's tribalism.
Re: APO 6 JUDGEMENT: Reject Unlawful Orders, Group Tell Police by dokyOloye: 10:48pm On Mar 10, 2017
mrrights:
Don't worry, maybe the next time a police officer shoot, it's you that's going to be killed. Then when the officer is sentenced to death, we would say it's tribalism.
Ur father is going to be killed,terrorist idiot.Thunder fire U and Ur fellow islamic terrorists,idiota

(1) (Reply)

NNPC Supports The Legalisation Of Illegal Refineries / Imo Pensioners Drag Okorocha To Court / Germany Deports ISIS Suspect To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.