Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,134 members, 7,814,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft (52770 Views)

Some Commonly Confused Animals: Can You Tell Them Apart? / 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. / Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Nobody: 8:55am On Mar 11, 2017
I'm and am, been confusing folks since 1983!
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by burkingx(f): 8:55am On Mar 11, 2017
RichDad1:
Ipob and sense lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Run outta thread wink

Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by eph12(m): 8:56am On Mar 11, 2017
I'm always confused about the usage of advice and advise
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by martineverest(m): 8:56am On Mar 11, 2017
datola:
When did Microsoft become English language expert
online data collection...read the post
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by UncleJudax(m): 8:56am On Mar 11, 2017
Opakan2:
I'm or "I am' and Am

I so hate to see this.. why write "Am coming" instead of "I am coming" or "I'm coming"
Even graduates make this mistake and it's bad
They will tell you "since you understood what they meant to say, that's all that matters". They want the economy to be fixed, not not their English...because it is not their "mother tongue"

Laziness!
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by AmaechiLinus(m): 8:56am On Mar 11, 2017
Good one but simple

I thought is going to be something else
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by martineverest(m): 8:57am On Mar 11, 2017
EbukaHades10:
They forgot "I'm and Am"
thats common among nigerians,not other part of the world
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by BossOluwendy(m): 8:58am On Mar 11, 2017
Your and you're

Loose and loosen.
Most people say : I want to “loose” my hair instead of saying “ I want to loosen my hair”

1 Like

Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by d33types: 8:59am On Mar 11, 2017
martineverest:
online data collection...read the post

I read the original post yesterday on http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-data-the-most-confusing-words-in-english-2017-3.

I mean, how many persons subscribe to Microsoft services?the data was sourced from those who subscribed to Microsoft cloud.
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by mcyemite(m): 8:59am On Mar 11, 2017
*enquiry and inquiry*
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by kalu61(m): 8:59am On Mar 11, 2017
avadicash 50% return in 10days. see FB
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by debiliciousmay(f): 9:00am On Mar 11, 2017
Educative and interesting, Nigerians have been making grammatical blunder from time in memorial.
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Nobody: 9:00am On Mar 11, 2017
Educating.
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Truepee(m): 9:03am On Mar 11, 2017
AnotherAlien:
OP, why does you start a thread like this in dis biurifu monin?
Now alot of larned Nairalanders like ma humbu sef will be scarred of typing anything so i don revill eny miztaken gramatica eror to ma humbu fanns out der.

Dilit this tred abeg, leds stat afrech. Duhhhh!

Waitin on macrosoft to cum an corret my inglish. Na only dem waka cum?
You need to have sense bephor I lyk ur post athink u know bah
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Tenplet(m): 9:03am On Mar 11, 2017
Am impressed
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by ObiOrji1: 9:09am On Mar 11, 2017
Thin tall Tony romanced bisola's body really hard regardless of Kemen eviction video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adgsLa0vBJM
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Mpanyi: 9:10am On Mar 11, 2017
...so take my advise is definitely one of them. Should be: so take my advice
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by PatrickOkunima(m): 9:10am On Mar 11, 2017
Loose and lose top the list here in Nigeria.
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by TheAziz: 9:11am On Mar 11, 2017
informative!!
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Nobody: 9:12am On Mar 11, 2017
dejt4u:
Avoid and afford confuse and convince I'm and am
This one is mostly by Nigerians. esp our ladies grin
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by shinebabe(f): 9:12am On Mar 11, 2017
The no 6 though. My rule (and it's the correct rule) is if the first syllable sounds like a vowel, use "an"; but if it sounds like a consonant, use 'a'.

E.g. 'A University'; A unanimous decision' [b]'a hospital'[/b]etc
' an accountant' etc
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Madamkilljoy(f): 9:12am On Mar 11, 2017
burkingx:
embarassed
This got me LOL. grin
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by buckdudebuck: 9:14am On Mar 11, 2017
These are simple things I learnt primary school. Buy the book Mastering English, that book will lay bare everything about English.
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by woodfrank(m): 9:15am On Mar 11, 2017

1 Like

Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Ruby234(f): 9:18am On Mar 11, 2017
Your and you're
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by hope4life: 9:20am On Mar 11, 2017
dejt4u:
Avoid and afford
confuse and convince
I'm and am

Avoid-keep away from something or someone that may be dangerous or cause problem. Why are you avoiding me? Afford-what you can pay for. How much can you afford? I'm is the contracted form of I-subject pronoun and am-primary verb. So I'm is the same as I am. am is just a primary verb and should never be used to start a sentence. What confuses people between I'm and am is that they sound alike in pronunciation. I'm coming correct am coming wrong.Confuse is to set a person at loss mentally while convince is to persuade a person to agree with your view or opinion. I'm not an English Teacher. Hope I tried a little

2 Likes

Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Albedo27(m): 9:22am On Mar 11, 2017
Nunber 1 and 9 have always been my problems.

Thanks to Google and OP for this clarification.

Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by KunleSteel: 9:22am On Mar 11, 2017
I'll be at your place in a while to stay for awhile.

Correct?

1 Like

Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Nobody: 9:27am On Mar 11, 2017
stationary and stationery,appendices and appendixes.English na wa o.
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Tamzblaze(m): 9:28am On Mar 11, 2017
Nice one. Also people are fond of interchanging YOU'RE and YOUR.
E.g (Instead of) I think you're(u're) right.
It now becomes... I think your(ur) right.
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by ikorodureporta: 9:35am On Mar 11, 2017
Fork & fvk
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by God2man(m): 9:47am On Mar 11, 2017
Inconsistencies

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. / Edward Kisuze, Ugandan Lecturer Arrested For Sexually Harassing A Student / Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.