Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,263 members, 7,815,431 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft (52773 Views)

Some Commonly Confused Animals: Can You Tell Them Apart? / 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. / Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by shumuel(m): 9:54am On Mar 11, 2017
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by EdoBoy90(m): 9:57am On Mar 11, 2017
English!
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by sekem: 9:58am On Mar 11, 2017
How to easily identify educated illiterates on Nairaland: ANYONE WHO WRITES "I AM" or "I'm" as "AM".

As you can see, we just happen to have so many educated illiterates on Nairaland.

It's a pity.

1 Like

Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Ifebazz(m): 10:00am On Mar 11, 2017
KillerBeauty:

http://pulse.ng/bi/strategy/strategy-here-are-the-most-commonly-confused-words-in-the-english-language-according-to-microsoft-id6352025.html

I don't agree. The most confused words in the world and especially on social media are "Am" and "I'm". Quote me anywhere or just flip through nairaland.com you'd be amazed at how many people don't know the difference.

1 Like

Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by maxti: 10:00am On Mar 11, 2017
I didnt know i understood English this much.
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by osita76(m): 10:01am On Mar 11, 2017
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by zedman1(m): 10:01am On Mar 11, 2017
One of my biggest problems is ...and has always been this issue of advice and advise....... Wait OP which one is advisne again? See wahala again? Then the issue of preposition, sh*t doesn't have Any rule. English isn't bae, na the koko be that- Mugabe 207 AD.
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by jidxin(m): 10:11am On Mar 11, 2017
but sincerely speaking I was never at anytime confused abt dz eng....seriously I was expecting more not all dz up here
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Vickysnipe147(m): 10:12am On Mar 11, 2017
OP you did a nice job here, I have gotten some things. but I think Microsoft omitted one crucial word.
Quiet and Quite...allot of the literature section writers don't know how to use them.
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by doubleportion: 10:14am On Mar 11, 2017
May be some of you that needs accommodation may apply for this VACANCY

Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Nobody: 10:14am On Mar 11, 2017
UncleJudax:

They will tell you "since you understood what they meant to say, that's all that matters". They want the economy to be fixed, not not there English...because it is not their "mother tongue"

Laziness!

oga fix your English first

it is their not there
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by BobHIGHNESS(m): 10:19am On Mar 11, 2017
"Loose and lose, loss and lost" are among
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by ALAYORMII: 10:20am On Mar 11, 2017
Can and Can't

Lose and Loose

Afford and Avoid

Their and There

Been and Being

.etc
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by DocHMD: 10:40am On Mar 11, 2017
'renumeration', remenuration' and 'remuneration'.
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by bayocanny: 10:46am On Mar 11, 2017
debiliciousmay:
Educative and interesting, Nigerians have been making grammatical blunder from time in memorial.
Lol. Nigerians have been making grammatical blunder by spelling "immemorial" as "inmemorial"
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by sammyscholar(m): 10:46am On Mar 11, 2017
woodfrank:

There is even a mistake in your first paragraph. Data/reveal
I have wondered if singular verbs now go with DATA, a plural form of DATUM. The writer actually made the mistake twice but I was hesitant to say MISTAKE knowing full well that English language is graced with a lot of exceptions. I had felt the writer was acting within that orbit. Having said that, I must fess up that I learned something new from the write-up. Kudos!

1 Like

Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by toprealman: 10:51am On Mar 11, 2017
EbukaHades10:
They forgot "I'm and Am"
>95% of people are guilty of this mistake.

1 Like

Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by ghost3040: 10:54am On Mar 11, 2017
I swear English Hard pass Maths.. embarassed embarassed
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Psoul(m): 10:58am On Mar 11, 2017
KillerBeauty:

http://pulse.ng/bi/strategy/strategy-here-are-the-most-commonly-confused-words-in-the-english-language-according-to-microsoft-id6352025.html

You guys should give us a break about this mad language called English
This is the most confused ppl on earth over their language and i dont kw why it will be imposed on ppl.
Today, a particular sentence is correct and acceptable, in few yrs to come they come up with another sentence that will render the one we speak today invalid. Few yr to come, they will say it is no longer correct. What kind of confused ppl is this. Cant their language stand the taste of time like our African language. The same thing our great grand parents call a thing, is still what we call it today and everybody understand it. Cant they emulate us.

Bros, how are u sure that what u r teaching us today that u will not wake up tomorrow to see that they have been changed to something else? Pls when i speak and u understands, abeg leave it like dat.
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Nobody: 11:00am On Mar 11, 2017
But this is all basic foundational grammar. Education has absolutely gone to the dogs.
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by peculiar32(f): 11:07am On Mar 11, 2017
awesome
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Lecturebidz(m): 11:19am On Mar 11, 2017
I think say oyinbo no dey make mistake when dem dey blow English grin
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by professore(m): 11:25am On Mar 11, 2017
I learnt something new
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by woodfrank(m): 12:19pm On Mar 11, 2017
sammyscholar:
I have wondered if singular verbs now go with DATA, a plural form of DATUM. The writer actually made the mistake twice but I was hesitant to say MISTAKE knowing full well that English language is graced with a lot of exceptions. I had felt the writer was acting within that orbit. Having said that, I must fess up that I learned something new from the write-up. Kudos!

The exception might come for the second one. The data/comes is correct. 'The' has made it more specific. Nice one OP.
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Ceno1dItaliano: 12:35pm On Mar 11, 2017
SirWere:
For Nigerians :

1) Dat and That

2) u and You

3) @ and at

4) Lalasticlala and snake grin grin
Lol e burst my kidney
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by kennys: 12:38pm On Mar 11, 2017
OgidiOlu3:

I agree with "avoid and afford". I saw a place they wrote "Buy your kerosene at an avoidable price"
must of us ehn they miss up for this thing dem they call english. Even the oyinbos dem too they learn am no be small thing ooo. Mathematics simple pas english that na formular u dey follow.
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by CBNIM: 2:15pm On Mar 11, 2017
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by nateevs(m): 2:35pm On Mar 11, 2017
shumuel:
No 6 has being debate for years, ' I don tire sef for the mata grin ' Nice one Op

Been and being
There and their
Your and you're

These are easily top three of the most commonly confused words. I see these three even at managerial level, across many countries, even the US and the UK.
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by UncleJudax(m): 2:47pm On Mar 11, 2017
Evaberry:

oga fix your English first

it is their not there
I was going to laugh it off but then you would continue to parade your mediocrity everywhere. "Their" is called possessive pronoun, and it was correct the way I used it. Get a dictionary pleas. grin
Re: The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft by Nobody: 2:53pm On Mar 11, 2017
UncleJudax:

I was going to laugh it off. But then you would continue to parade your mediocrity . "Their" is called possessive pronoun, and it was correct the way I used it. Get a dictionary please. grin

if u say so sir

but u said "there english"

it's okay ooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. / Edward Kisuze, Ugandan Lecturer Arrested For Sexually Harassing A Student / Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.