Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise (1385 Views)

Stephanie Otobo's Press Conference Outfit Is Hot (Photos) / Apostle Suleman Exposed His Private Part To Stephanie Otobo - Keyamo Chamber / Stephanie Otobo Released From Kirikiri Prison. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by jiorhemen(m): 6:11am On Mar 11, 2017
Among all the accusations Miss Stephanie Otobo has levelled against Apostle Suleiman, one of them has incessantly baffled me. I am not posting this to defend Mr Suleiman. I am only curious about what is crime in Nigeria. Miss Otobo said that she is suing Apostle Suleiman for what she called "breach of promise of marriage." Is it really a crime in Nigeria to change your mind after promising someone marriage? In the letter written by Keyamo Chambers to Mr Suleiman, they claimed that breach of promise of marriage is actionable in law, and they gave the Apostle 7 days to meet their demand for N500,000,000 as damages. I know that many people have been arrested for similar accusations, but that's because those promises were made with an intention to defraud the person that was promised marriage. For example, I recently heard that a lady reported to the police that a man promised her marriage, and then collected over a million Naira from her. Now, it's clear that the man had an intention to defraud the woman of her hard earned money by promising her marriage. That's crime. But what about if you tell someone "I'll marry you," (without using the promise as a bait to obtain money from the person), and you later decide not to marry the person again. Is that a crime? Is there any law in Nigeria that says you must marry someone after promising him or her marriage? In the Stephanie Otobo vs Apostle Suleiman case, it's the person that was purportedly promised marrige that was even getting money from the 'promiser', not that the Apostle used the promise to get money from the lady he allegedly promised marriage. Lawyers in the house, please educate us on this. If I promise a woman that I will marry her, is there any law that says I must do that?

Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by maxti: 6:12am On Mar 11, 2017
The law of the land is clear on this

MODIFIED:

If you promise to marry a person and fail to keep that promise, you can be sued at a court. However before an act of a person can amount to breach of promise to marry. There are the following prerequisites:

a) There must be evidence before the court that indeed there was a promise of statutory marriage (under the Marriage Act).

This is because the different customary laws do not provide a cause of action for breach of executor contracts such as the promise to marry.

b) There must be evidence that a party to the contract to marry failed to perform his obligations
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by jiorhemen(m): 6:29am On Mar 11, 2017
maxti:
The law of the land is clear on this
Please explain, I asked because it's an issue I don’t know much about. You said that the law of the land is clear on this. How'd you mean? Is it that the law says you must marry someone you promised marriage?

1 Like

Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by Rockyrascal(m): 6:33am On Mar 11, 2017
Did the apostle revealed to the press he promised the lady in question marriage,and to your question I really don't have an answer to that.
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by AntiWailer: 6:35am On Mar 11, 2017
No.

But he need to explain to the church why he was FKIN the girl.

His handlers are messing up. The whole saga might be politically motivated but i think Apostle and the Girl had stuffs together.

I expect his team to SHUT UP instead of the 100 childish press releases. He should have ignored the girl the COZA way and no need to order Police to arrest the girl.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by AnotherAlien: 6:35am On Mar 11, 2017
Nope.
I still dont see any crime he committed even if he slept with the girl. The entire agenda is geared at ruining his image. If I was the one that slept with her and she came on TV, would anyone care? Ofcourse not, because nobody knows who the heck I am.
Did she even mention anything about the supposed traditional marriage her dad denied knowing about in her press briefings? Nope.
Something aint right somewhere. The pastor may have some things to hide, the girl may have added a lil more.
It would be weird for the pastor's and the girl's passports to show same itinerary to the countries she mentioned and hotel booking records collaborating her story though.
But issues like this are civil cases. Nothing criminal here. F...kin aint no big deal, even animals do it on the streets. Unfortunately, some people like apostle chose to claim to be virgins and brainwash theirs to be like them.
If it happened, it happened, if it didnt, it didnt. Whats the big deal? No one was raped. Duhhh.
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by ojimbo(m): 6:39am On Mar 11, 2017
No. But he got it wrong by plotting the arrest of the said young lady. If the young lady have been blackmailing him, may be because she have gotten all the necessary proofs. Suleiman would have either call her and plead with her or be ready to apologise to his congregation. Buy trying to use police to arrest the lady was what made everything worse
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by jiorhemen(m): 6:39am On Mar 11, 2017
Rockyrascal:
Did the apostle revealed to the press he promised the lady in question marriage,and to your question I really don't have an answer to that.
My point is that even if he did promise her, is it a crime to change his mind? I asked because she said that she is suing him for breaching a promise to marry her. If he truly promised to marry her, and then changed his mind, is that a crime?

2 Likes

Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by baylord101(m): 6:43am On Mar 11, 2017
Yes, Apostle Suleiman is guilty if he actually promised her marriage and didn't honor the agreement.

2 Likes

Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by jiorhemen(m): 6:45am On Mar 11, 2017
AnotherAlien:
But issues like this are civil cases. Nothing criminal here.
Yeah, that's exacty why I have been baffled. While I agree that it's unchristian to do some of the things the girl accused Apostle Suleiman of doing, I don’t see anything criminal in this.
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by AntiWailer: 6:51am On Mar 11, 2017
jiorhemen:

Yeah, that's exacty why I have been baffled. While I agree that it's unchristian to do some of the things the girl accused Apostle Suleiman of doing, I don’t see anything criminal in this.

Nice one.

You guys are preparing for season 2.

In case the Apostle actually fcked the girl.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by Kondomatic(m): 6:51am On Mar 11, 2017
ojimbo:
No. But he got it wrong by plotting the arrest of the said young lady. If the young lady have been blackmailing him, may be because she have gotten all the necessary proofs. Suleiman would have either call her and plead with her or be ready to apologise to his congregation. Buy trying to use police to arrest the lady was what made everything worse
Maybe he don beg tire
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by jiorhemen(m): 6:54am On Mar 11, 2017
AntiWailer:
No.

Okay. I also agree that the things she accused Mr Suleiman of doing are unchristian. I am just baffled that she is suing him for what she called a breach of promise to marry her. Among all the things she accused the Apostle of doing, I am emphasizing the "breach of promise of marriage" accusation because she said at the beginning of her press conference and in the charge from Keyamo Chambers against Mr Suleiman, that she was suing him for breach of promise of marriage. It baffled me.
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by jiorhemen(m): 6:55am On Mar 11, 2017
AntiWailer:
No.

His handlers are messing up. The whole saga might be politically motivated but i think Apostle and the Girl had stuffs together.

I expect them to SHUT UP instead of 100 press releases. He should have ignored the girl the COZA way and no need to order Police to arrest the girl.
You have a point
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by Kondomatic(m): 6:56am On Mar 11, 2017
jiorhemen:

My point is that even if he did promise her, is it a crime to change his mind? I asked because she said that she is suing him for breaching a promise to marry her. If he truly promised to marry her, and then changed his mind, is that a crime?
Maybe it's a crime in one the countries she has been to but this is Nigeria, it's no crime.

How can she even prove that he promised her marriage?

I don't want to know what they both did in secret but the fact that someone was recording the whole thing is enough proof that the attention seeking lady wants to use the man's popularity to shine.
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by jiorhemen(m): 7:01am On Mar 11, 2017
baylord101:
Yes, Apostle Suleiman is guilty if he actually promised her marriage and didn't honor the agreement.
Please, would you mind telling us where it is in our law that it is a crime to change your mind after promising someone marriage. I actually haven't heard of that before. I would appreciate it if you point to the law that says that. I am not talking of a situation where you used it to obtain money from the person you promised marrige. That's clearly a crime. I am talking about just changing your mind after a promise.
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by jiorhemen(m): 7:05am On Mar 11, 2017
ojimbo:
Yes, I concur that an Apostle shouldn't do what the lady accused him of doing. However, if the girl truly tried to obtain money from him in order not to open up, sir, that's blackmail and blackmail is a crime.
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by AntiWailer: 7:18am On Mar 11, 2017
jiorhemen:

Okay. I also agree that the things she accused Mr Suleiman of doing are unchristian. I am just baffled that she is suing him for what she called a breach of promise to marry her. Among all the things she accused the Apostle of doing, I am emphasizing the "breach of promise of marriage" accusation because she said at the beginning of her press conference and in the charge from Keyamo Chambers against Mr Suleiman, that she was suing him for breach of promise of marriage. It baffled me.

He sued her. She did not sue him.

Let's get the facts right.
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by ojimbo(m): 7:19am On Mar 11, 2017
jiorhemen:

Yes, I concur that an Apostle shouldn't do what the lady accused him of doing. However, if the girl truly tried to obtain money from him in order not to open up, sir, that's blackmail and blackmail is a crime.
yes of course. It is a crime. But considering the reputation of Appostle Suleiman. If I am to be in his shoes. I will keep appologising to the lady till everything is OK. I believe that of I should make out time which may even take many years to apologise to her. She my change her mind. After all she is a human. But trying to use police to arrest the lady was where he got it wrong considering his personality
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by Rockyrascal(m): 7:21am On Mar 11, 2017
jiorhemen:

ok now I fully understand you.
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by jiorhemen(m): 7:22am On Mar 11, 2017
ojimbo:
yes of course. It is a crime. But considering the reputation of Appostle Suleiman. If I am to be in his shoes. I will keep appologising to the lady till everything is OK. I believe that of I should make out time which may even take many years to apologise to her. She my change her mind. After all she is a human. But trying to use police to arrest the lady was where he got it wrong considering his personality
Hmmmnn, complicated
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by ojimbo(m): 7:25am On Mar 11, 2017
Kondomatic:
Maybe he don beg tire
then he would have been making preparations on how to apologies to his congregation. Believe me. Nigerians are too gullible. They will acrept the apology and termed it the handwork of the Devil. But the way he handled the matter is a very wrong approach.
Fear pastors! I worked in a hotel and if I tell you what I saw as a house keeper in a hotel. You will never trust Pastors, Married men and Women
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by jiorhemen(m): 7:35am On Mar 11, 2017
AntiWailer:

He sued her. She did not sue him.

Let's get the facts right.
Yes, he did sue her for blackmail. As regards her own accusation, I was referring to the 'demand for N500,000,000 as damages for the breach of promise' to marry her. Attached below is the document. According to the document, they claimed that breach of promise to marry is actionable in the law, and they gave Suleiman 7 days to meet their demand.

Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by millik(f): 7:48am On Mar 11, 2017
baylord101:

you mean mere verbal agreement?
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by baylord101(m): 7:55am On Mar 11, 2017
millik:

you mean mere verbal agreement?
also an agreement if both parties doesn't denied
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by AntiWailer: 7:58am On Mar 11, 2017
jiorhemen:

Yes, he did sue her for blackmail. As regards her own accusation, I was referring to the 'demand for N500,000,000 as damages for the breach of promise' to marry her. Attached below is the document. According to the document, they claimed that breach of promise to marry is actionable in the law, and they gave Suleiman 7 days to meet their demand.

They only wanted to intimidate him to part with money because they know the evidence is enough to nail him.

U can imagine the way the letter was put together. The letter was for his church not court.

If you get what I mean.
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by AntiWailer: 8:02am On Mar 11, 2017
ojimbo:
then he would have been making preparations on how to apologies to his congregation. Believe me. Nigerians are too gullible. They will acrept the apology and termed it the handwork of the Devil. But the way he handled the matter is a very wrong approach.
Fear pastors! I worked in a hotel and if I tell you what I saw as a house keeper in a hotel. You will never trust Pastors, Married men and Women

U are very right but they are too proud to even accept any wrong doing.

Now the new tactics is even if he slept with the lady is there any crime committed according to the law ?
Re: Did Apostle Suleiman Commit Any Crime By Not Marrying Otobo After A Promise by maxti: 9:53am On Mar 11, 2017
jiorhemen:

Please explain, I asked because it's an issue I don’t know much about. You said that the law of the land is clear on this. How'd you mean? Is it that the law says you must marry someone you promised marriage?

If you promise to marry a person and fail to keep that promise, you can be sued at a court. However before an act of a person can amount to breach of promise to marry. There are the following prerequisites:

a) There must be evidence before the court that indeed there was a promise of statutory marriage (under the Marriage Act).

This is because the different customary laws do not provide a cause of action for breach of executor contracts such as the promise to marry.

b) There must be evidence that a party to the contract to marry failed to perform his obligations

(1) (Reply)

Why Is My Life So Awful, I'm Ashamed Please Read / When God Remembers You / How Did You Recover From Backsliding?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.