Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,590 members, 7,823,565 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due (4818 Views)

10 Patients Go Blind After Injection In A Kaduna Hospital / Rhogam / Little Girl Takes An Injection From A Nurse And This Happens To Her (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by rollykotex: 10:49am On Mar 11, 2017
seasoned doctors onboard,I need all the help and exposure I can get on an injection called RHOGAM. I am rh negative while my hubby is positive.I had a miscarriage sometimes in 2013. I wasn't well informed about this blood group palava so I didn't get a rhogam shot. I conceived again last year and I was hale and hearty all through the pregnancy,only to wake up one morning with a dead baby at 25 weeks. I was devastated and Doctors are of the opinion that my blood group could have killed the baby because there's every tendency that the first pregnancy miscarried was positive and a mixture of blood must have occurred during the process,leading to my body revolting against future pregnancies. Tho I took the rhogam injection now but some doctors are of the opinion that It can't work again since I have been sensitized from the first pregnancy. Now my question is,is there no remedy for this condition and will I keep losing pregnancy like this? please don't hold back your knowledge as I'll available to answer all questions. ignore all typo errors .Thanks
Re: What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by suremum: 3:52am On Mar 15, 2017
rollykotex:
seasoned doctors onboard,I need all the help and exposure I can get on an injection called RHOGAM. I am rh negative while my hubby is positive.I had a miscarriage sometimes in 2013. I wasn't well informed about this blood group palava so I didn't get a rhogam shot. I conceived again last year and I was hale and hearty all through the pregnancy,only to wake up one morning with a dead baby at 25 weeks. I was devastated and Doctors are of the opinion that my blood group could have killed the baby because there's every tendency that the first pregnancy miscarried was positive and a mixture of blood must have occurred during the process,leading to my body revolting against future pregnancies. Tho I took the rhogam injection now but some doctors are of the opinion that It can't work again since I have been sensitized from the first pregnancy. Now my question is,is there no remedy for this condition and will I keep losing pregnancy like this? please don't hold back your knowledge as I'll available to answer all questions. ignore all typo errors .Thanks
How are u sure your bĺood group caused your babys death at 25weeks? Was your blood taken and tested for sensitivity while pregnant with d baby u lost? If yes, was ur blood already sensitized due to your previous miscarriage or not? There are so many reasons one can loose a pregnancy so dont conclude yet.
Re: What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by mydeporch(f): 12:40pm On May 26, 2017
Rollykotex. Sorry about ur loss. Saw ur update on d pregnancy thread. What suremum was asking is very important. Dis u get tested and they said u are already sensitized. D sensitization is even measured in level. I already experienced same loss at dt stage b4 and am B negative. Though not sensitized. At wat week was ur first mc? One just need adequate monitoring wt good oby/gyn .Sorry u r going thru all this. Be strong. It is well with u nd everything will work out fine.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by Okwuy09(m): 12:52pm On May 26, 2017
People should absence from self medication from[url]www.mavelnews.com/self medication [/url]
Re: What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by ChelseaDr(m): 7:25pm On May 26, 2017
Hi Op, it is a possibility that you had already been sensitised following the miscarriage and it is also possible you are not. Like someone said above, there are other things that may cause miscarriage at 25 weeks.

What the doctor told you is right, if you had been sensitized, because RHOGAM does not work where sensitization had already occurred.
It is possible you are not sensitized.

I will suggest to see an Obstetrician who will carry out Indirect Coomb's Test (ICT) or more specific test like RHESUS ANTIBODY TITRE to determine if you are sensitized or not and then look for the cause of your repeat miscarriage

The link below may be of help:

https://www.nairaland.com/2429829/rhesus-negative-blood-group-pregnancy
Re: What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by richu89: 8:23pm On May 26, 2017
Sorry for your loss dear...Got preg at first with no idea abt dis blood group of a thing...d preg was terminated without d rhogam shot....got preg d second time nd had a missed miscarriage at 8 weeks...went for test,indirect coombs test, clothing factor etc d result of d test shows am not sensitised nd evryother tin was normal and i was given d rhogam shot. Am currently 4weeks preg again nd am hoping for d best. Am B negative

1 Like

Re: What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by mydeporch(f): 8:47pm On May 27, 2017
@richu89 . I experienced same but since no sensitization. In my casr after 1st mc at 8wks and 2nd at 26wks. Next time i was placed on duphaston tablet to help supprt pregnancy and prevent contraction.....at 15wks scan dy detected cervix funneling and dy did cerclage. Thank God everything worked out fine. I pray everything goes smoothly for u this time around.

I was also taking baby aspirin like as some1 adviced. But i reduced it to once in 2days sibce it was not part of my hosp prescription.just in 1st trim because i stopped later. I was not taking ut dt much sef. Dey believe ot help in circulation of blood by thinning blood dy flows. They always say to ask ones doc if one can take it.
Have faith its all going to work out well dis time around.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by richu89: 2:15pm On May 28, 2017
[quote author=mydeporch post=56939068]@richu89 . I experienced same but since no sensitization. In my casr after 1st mc at 8wks and 2nd at 26wks. Next time i was placed on duphaston tablet to help supprt pregnancy and prevent contraction.....at 15wks scan dy detected cervix funneling and dy did cerclage. Thank God everything worked out fine. I pray everything goes smoothly for u this time around.

I was also taking baby aspirin like as some1 adviced. But i reduced it to once in 2days sibce it was not part of my hosp prescription.just in 1st trim because i stopped later. I was not taking ut dt much sef. Dey believe ot help in circulation of blood by thinning blood dy flows. They always say to ask ones doc if one can take it.
Have faith its all going to work out well dis time around.[/quote
Ur miscarriages were they missed or spontaneous?
Thank you dear
Re: What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by rollykotex: 7:57pm On May 29, 2017
mydeporch:
@richu89 . I experienced same but since no sensitization. In my casr after 1st mc at 8wks and 2nd at 26wks. Next time i was placed on duphaston tablet to help supprt pregnancy and prevent contraction.....at 15wks scan dy detected cervix funneling and dy did cerclage. Thank God everything worked out fine. I pray everything goes smoothly for u this time around.

Have faith its all going to work out well dis time around.
sweety are u presently pregnant or u have had ur baby...ur contribution is so educative. thanks momma i would like to keep in touch with u when i get preg again . you seem so experienced. God bless u
Re: What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by rollykotex: 8:03pm On May 29, 2017
richu89:
Sorry for your loss dear...Got preg at first with no idea abt dis blood group of a thing...d preg was terminated without d rhogam shot....got preg d second time nd had a missed miscarriage at 8 weeks...went for test,indirect coombs test, clothing factor etc d result of d test shows am not sensitised nd evryother tin was normal and i was given d rhogam shot. Am currently 4weeks preg again nd am hoping for d best. Am B negative
thanks ma'am ur contribution is highly appreciated. you'll carry this to term IJN. bless u i have done the ICT Test thank God it came out negative
Re: What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by rollykotex: 8:12pm On May 29, 2017
ChelseaDr:
Hi Op, it is a possibility that you had already been sensitised following the miscarriage and it is also possible you are not. Like someone said above, there are other things that may cause miscarriage at 25 weeks.

What the doctor told you is right, if you had been sensitized, because RHOGAM does not work where sensitization had already occurred.
It is possible you are not sensitized.

I will suggest to see an Obstetrician who will carry out Indirect Coomb's Test (ICT) or more specific test like RHESUS ANTIBODY TITRE to determine if you are sensitized or not and then look for the cause of your repeat miscarriage

The link below may be of help:

https://www.nairaland.com/2429829/rhesus-negative-blood-group-pregnancy
Thanks Dr im very grateful for your contribution. i have done the ICT Test thank God it came out fine ie Negative. i also carried out some other tests like sugar level. though its a bit high so the Dr said gestational diabetes may have caused it. i just hope all is well.
Re: What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by mydeporch(f): 9:17pm On May 29, 2017
rollykotex:

sweety are u presently pregnant or u have had ur baby...ur contribution is so educative. thanks momma i would like to keep in touch with u when i get preg again . you seem so experienced. God bless u
Av had my baby. He wil be 6mnths on sunday. Like dy always say experience is d best teacher. No worries. We can always keep in touch.send me a pm anytime. I pray evertthing goes well next time. Just relax and be positive that everything is going to be fine. Amen nd God bless u too and perfect all that concerns u.
My dear, dont give chance to depression or worry but enjoy urself now and have a nice time with ur husband because when ur baby is here, to have time to urself gan .......hmnbnnn. dont let anybodys words, actions get to u. ii understand u cant wait to hold urs too. Av been there. When ur miracle is here. U will understand better. Just my piece of advice. Ur perfect timing will soon be here. Awaiting ur good news.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by mydeporch(f): 9:47pm On May 29, 2017
[quote author=richu89 post=56956623][/quote]
@richu89.
First was missed mc and second one - cant say specifically cos i embarked on a journey (flight) and went for checkup a day to d journey.just blood pressure dt was always high then. Innocent me then didnt know to wait till 7th month to travel and didnt realize our body are different. Saw symptoms of water leaking few days after i arrived but d doctor i went to see didnt take it serious. I started having contraction which i didnt know much abt then . Eventually,water has been leaking and baby has died and d day i felt d baby last, i was saying maybe its one of those quiet days.
Sometimes dy will be saying its our rhesus blood causing it whereas dia mighr be some other factors responsible . I wish u a smooth and healthy 9months. U csn start taking vitamin d or d2. Was given that too. One tab daily
Re: What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by richu89: 10:13pm On May 29, 2017
mydeporch:

@richu89.
First was missed mc and second one - cant say specifically cos i embarked on a journey (flight) and went for checkup a day to d journey.just blood pressure dt was always high then. Innocent me then didnt know to wait till 7th month to travel and didnt realize our body are different. Saw symptoms of water leaking few days after i arrived but d doctor i went to see didnt take it serious. I started having contraction which i didnt know much abt then . Eventually,water has been leaking and baby has died and d day i felt d baby last, i was saying maybe its one of those quiet days.
Sometimes dy will be saying its our rhesus blood causing it whereas dia mighr be some other factors responsible . I wish u a smooth and healthy 9months. U csn start taking vitamin d or d2. Was given that too. One tab daily
thank you dear...i app your response
Re: What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by richu89: 10:18pm On May 29, 2017
rollykotex:

thanks ma'am ur contribution is highly appreciated. you'll carry this to term IJN. bless u i have done the ICT Test thank God it came out negative
thank you dear... Dnt worry u will get preggy again nd give birth without any complication
Re: What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by Oliran(f): 8:45pm On Jan 23, 2018
Good evening mamas, I traced this thread from pregnancy thread, I'm 10weeks pregnant and I'm B-Negative while hubby is positive, I had a miscarriage in the past and I wasn't aware of rhesus incompatibility, I did indirect coombs test 2 weeks ago and tested negative. My question is Do I have to repeat the test as the journey continues?
when do I need to take the Rhogam injection?
Thank you mamas and I'm so sorry for taking you back.
God bless you
Cc rollykotex
Mydeporch
richu89
Re: What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by mydeporch(f): 9:23pm On Jan 23, 2018
Oliran:
Good evening mamas, I traced this thread from pregnancy thread, I'm 10weeks pregnant and I'm B-Negative while hubby is positive, I had a miscarriage in the past and I wasn't aware of rhesus incompatibility, I did indirect coombs test 2 weeks ago and tested negative. My question is Do I have to repeat the test as the journey continues?
when do I need to take the Rhogam injection?
Thank you mamas and I'm so sorry for taking you back.
God bless you
Cc rollykotex
Mydeporch
richu89
Congrats
No, no need to repeat d test. U just follow ur gynaecplogist advice. U take rhogham at 28wks and after delivery depending on ur doc.
Watch ur diet to avoid gest. Diabetes. Drink lots of water. As we av said b4....if u read back our discussion by typing our monik to d search button...i was on duphaston till 20wks but most people stop by 12weeks ...talk wt ur gyn..tKe all ur drugs very well...u will be fine.
Re: What Are The Harms Involved In Not Getting A Rhogam Injection When Due by Oliran(f): 10:40pm On Jan 23, 2018
mydeporch:

Congrats
No, no need to repeat d test. U just follow ur gynaecplogist advice. U take rhogham at 28wks and after delivery depending on ur doc.
Watch ur diet to avoid gest. Diabetes. Drink lots of water. As we av said b4....if u read back our discussion by typing our monik to d search button...i was on duphaston till 20wks but most people stop by 12weeks ...talk wt ur gyn..tKe all ur drugs very well...u will be fine.
Thank you so much ma, I really appreciate.

(1) (Reply)

S / Revolutionize Your Health, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar For Healthy Living / Kano Records 23 New COVID-19 Cases, Discharges 1, Confirms 2 Deaths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.