Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,675 members, 7,865,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 01:00 AM

What's Killing My Car Battery? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's Killing My Car Battery? (1183 Views)

What Could Be Killing My Car Battery? / 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. / How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Killing My Car Battery? by thaqib(m): 11:21pm On Mar 11, 2017
So after my battery packed, I attempted to replace it but all the batteries keep running down after 72hours or so. 2 rewire technician dad the alternator is working well. Pls what else could b the problem? Somebody talking about kick starter, bla bla bla...

Pls help
Re: What's Killing My Car Battery? by AntiWailer: 11:27pm On Mar 11, 2017
The only suspect is the alternator.

Is the battery you replaced it with a new one ?

Are you sure the battery capacity fits the car ?
Re: What's Killing My Car Battery? by dokyOloye: 11:53pm On Mar 11, 2017
If U are sure Ur alternator is working and d batteries you have been changing are good,then check for a parasitic drain for eg a coin stuck in d cigarette lighter socket.
Also check carefully for any light,appliance that is on.
Re: What's Killing My Car Battery? by kumari089(m): 1:06am On Mar 12, 2017
Go scan the car, the codes will tell you more on whats draining your car battery
Re: What's Killing My Car Battery? by nurey(m): 7:17am On Mar 12, 2017
kumari089:
Go scan the car, the codes will tell you more on whats draining your car battery

grin this your comment is funny, I doubt if a scan will tell him what's draining his car.

@op, tell us the make of your vehicle and year so technicians who have dealt with something similar can guide you as appropriate.

There are ways of confirming if the alternator is working by a qualified rewire, then has any recent electrical work been done on the car prior to Changing the first battery?

1 Like

Re: What's Killing My Car Battery? by thaqib(m): 9:43am On Mar 12, 2017
It's a camry 2000 4 cylinder. . This last battery is a new one. Yes alternator was worked on about 4 months ago but it's not showing any sign of malfunction. The alternator light is not on. Can the kick be responsible, I often need to turn on the ignition twice, these days....
Re: What's Killing My Car Battery? by mayor2013: 11:11pm On Mar 12, 2017
If your alternator has been worked upon. Kindly go replace it
Re: What's Killing My Car Battery? by AceRoyal: 11:53pm On Mar 12, 2017
nurey:

grin this your comment is funny, I doubt if a scan will tell him what's draining his car.

@op, tell us the make of your vehicle and year so technicians who have dealt with something similar can guide you as appropriate.

There are ways of confirming if the alternator is working by a qualified rewire, then has any recent electrical work been done on the car prior to Changing the first battery?
Bro I have same problem with my 2001 Mazda protege.
I have to remove the battery terminal heads when I pa k the car cuz it'll drain it in 48hrs or less.
The alternator is working perfectly as it's been tested by 3 different rewires.
Re: What's Killing My Car Battery? by torres89: 10:10am On Mar 13, 2017
thaqib:
It's a camry 2000 4 cylinder. . This last battery is a new one. Yes alternator was worked on about 4 months ago but it's not showing any sign of malfunction. The alternator light is not on. Can the kick be responsible, I often need to turn on the ignition twice, these days....

it's called a parasitic drain

a scan tool can't show you that

u need a professional auto electrician to detect the problem

contact honmusa.
0806 116 6316
Re: What's Killing My Car Battery? by nurey(m): 10:53am On Mar 13, 2017
AceRoyal:

Bro I have same problem with my 2001 Mazda protege.
I have to remove the battery terminal heads when I pa k the car cuz it'll drain it in 48hrs or less.
The alternator is working perfectly as it's been tested by 3 different rewires.

Something is draining your battery in the car, you need to trace the culprit eg
Is your fan connected directly
Is the after market radio wiring connection done well
Is any after market lamps just installed etc
Re: What's Killing My Car Battery? by thaqib(m): 11:30am On Mar 13, 2017
nurey:

Something is draining your battery in the car, you need to trace the culprit eg
Is your fan connected directly
Is the after market radio wiring connection done well
Is any after market lamps just installed etc

Yes, my own fan is connected directly but I am not sure it's D cause. I have friends whose car are connected directly but their batteries do not run down...
Re: What's Killing My Car Battery? by nurey(m): 12:10pm On Mar 13, 2017
thaqib:

Yes, my own fan is connected directly but I am not sure it's D cause. I have friends whose car are connected directly but their batteries do not run down...

What works for Peter may not work for Paul. You need to revert back to default
Re: What's Killing My Car Battery? by AceRoyal: 3:17pm On Mar 13, 2017
nurey:

Something is draining your battery in the car, you need to trace the culprit eg Is your fan connected directly Is the after market radio wiring connection done well Is any after market lamps just installed etc
Thanks sir, will be taking the car for a thorough checkup this weekend.
Re: What's Killing My Car Battery? by thaqib(m): 8:14am On Mar 19, 2017
After all, it was a he alternator. I changed it and everything was OK. Really, the alternator may not be charging well without it showing on the dashboard. The rewire said it is called low charging.
Re: What's Killing My Car Battery? by mayor2013: 9:32am On Mar 19, 2017
So do you believe that putting that so called "diode" means next to nothing angry
Re: What's Killing My Car Battery? by honmusa(m): 10:17am On Mar 19, 2017
thaqib:
After all, it was a he alternator. I changed it and everything was OK. Really, the alternator may not be charging well without it showing on the dashboard. The rewire said it is called low charging.
Still check the car for parasitic drain .

(1) (Reply)

Symptoms That Might Indicate That Your Timing Belt Is Wearing Out - FRSC / Missouri Tornado Destroys 500 Cars At Chevrolet And Toyota Dealerships / GDI Engine Owners, How Have You Been Dealing With Carbon Build Up On Intake Valv

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.