Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native (2227 Views)

Which Tribe In Nigeria Do You Think Has The Best Accent When Speaking English / Which Nigerian Tribe Is The Best At speaking English? / Nigerian White Boy Speaking English And Hausa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by bilms(m): 1:32pm On Dec 17, 2009
why do u enjoy speaking english instead of ur native even with ur friends that u re sure understands ur language,

or may be u saw a lady whom u no understand ur language, so y speak english?
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by mrperfect(m): 1:42pm On Dec 17, 2009
We just see ourselves doing it.
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by ChinenyeN(m): 2:13pm On Dec 17, 2009
We are generally more fluent in the non-native language.
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by Obelomo: 6:38pm On Dec 17, 2009
Well I was born in US and So I mostly speak English, but I am trying to speak yoruba more. My yoruba cracks a lot of people up!
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by davidif: 9:17pm On Dec 17, 2009
I speak yoruba or pidgin with all my friends that understand them even in front of oyinbos.
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by eddy1977(m): 7:07pm On Dec 18, 2009
i adore my native language; i love speaking it anytime,anywhere,anyhow
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by bilms(m): 11:49am On Dec 19, 2009
housa people arereally trying here,

they keep it real,

anywhere they are, they speak there language
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by iice(f): 4:30pm On Dec 21, 2009
Depends. . .there are people who no matter what i end up speaking pidgin with, even when they keep replying in english.  Same with language. . .some people sha, i mix it all grin But when i get irritated, english comes out and it gets drier and more proper in direct proportion to my irritation.
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by ijeoma2619: 3:54am On Dec 25, 2009
I was born in the US also but u can hardly tell because i speak ibo anytime i get the opportunity to do so. I have this fear that if i dont speak it constantly i might forget majority of it, which will be a deathrow for me.
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by Cappadona123: 7:38am On Dec 25, 2009
Hausawa are different
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by chrisical(m): 8:44pm On Dec 25, 2009
Am more comfortable speaking in english
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 26, 2009
English is my first language, so comes naturally to me.
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by mamagee3(f): 11:34pm On Dec 26, 2009
English is an Official Language. wink
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by oyinda3(f): 7:13pm On Jan 02, 2010
iice:

But when i get irritated, english comes out and it gets drier and more proper in direct proportion to my irritation.

wow it's usually the opposite for most ppl. when i'm shocked, i find myself screaming Jesu Christi!!  shocked unconsciously
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by daknsmooth(m): 7:14am On Jan 04, 2010
It mostly depends on where you're located. People in Nigeria would probably interact more in native dialect compared to people abroad, mostly because they have people who understands the native language!
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by Nobody: 8:06am On Jan 04, 2010
We're more comfortable wt english - a result of years of study. If we spent all that time studying our own languages, the reverse would be the case.
@iice: same for me! If i'm mildly irritated tho, or can't vent properly, i'll speak anything in igbo or french :-)
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by Jarus(m): 12:52pm On Jan 04, 2010
bilms:

why do u enjoy speaking english instead of your native even with your friends that u re sure understands your language,

or may be u saw a lady whom u no understand your language, so y speak english?
Who told you I speak English?
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by H2O2: 8:50pm On Jan 04, 2010
I speak whatever flies with me.
In school, English all day . . . mostly proper English.
Back home, yoruba all the way with a few jaras of English.
When I'm hoopin' with the niggaz, it's all expletive-riddled English
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by sjeezy8: 4:00am On Jan 05, 2010
I speak english like amofo but also yoruba. Ive gotten so used to answering in english when people speak yoruba to me. bad habbit im tryin to kick
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by 9jii(m): 1:14pm On Jan 05, 2010
thats only in d south coz i grduat but i never speak English  for more than five minutes b\c i m in the north.
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by Jarus(m): 3:34pm On Jan 05, 2010
9jii.:

thats only in d south coz i grduat but i never speak English for more than five minutes b\c i m in the north.
grin
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by bilms(m): 11:51am On Jan 19, 2010
lol
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by tanimz(f): 11:21pm On Jan 19, 2010
I prefer speaking yoruba or pidgin to my friends, but when it comes to adults- I speak English cool cool
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by H2O2: 12:03am On Jan 20, 2010
tanimz:

I prefer speaking yoruba or pidgin to my friends, but when it comes to adults- I speak English cool cool
in what language would you communicate with me?
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by tanimz(f): 12:05am On Jan 20, 2010
^^^ How old are you wink wink
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by H2O2: 12:20am On Jan 20, 2010
tanimz:

^^^ How old are you wink wink
My age is trivial here. If I communicate with you in the language of love would you requite?
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by tanimz(f): 12:23am On Jan 20, 2010
H2O2:

My age is trivial here. If I communicate with you in the language of love would you requite?

Hmmm, Did I hear you say love grin grin Ok, on a second thought, maybe English with a scottish accent tongue tongue kiss kiss kiss
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by H2O2: 12:31am On Jan 20, 2010
tanimz:

Hmmm, Did I hear you say love grin grin Ok, on a second thought, maybe English with a scottish accent tongue tongue kiss kiss kiss
Hysterical!  The language of love does not stereotype or discriminate.  You may even speak yoruba with a blend of creole if you woud lik.
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by tanimz(f): 12:35am On Jan 20, 2010
H2O2:

Hysterical! The language of love does not stereotype. You may even speak yoruba with a blend of creole if you woud lik.

Nahh, yoruba abd creole doesn't go together tongue tongue tongue I still go with Scottish English kiss cool cool cool cool
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by H2O2: 12:36am On Jan 20, 2010
tanimz:

Nahh, yoruba abd creole doesn't go together tongue tongue tongue I still go with Scottish English kiss cool cool cool cool
In the grand scheme of things, as long as there's a tinge of communication I'll be elated wink
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by tanimz(f): 12:38am On Jan 20, 2010
H2O2:

In the grand scheme of things, as long as there's a tinge of communication I'll be elated wink

Okay, if you say so wink wink wink
Re: Why Do U Enjoy Speaking English Instead Of Ur Native by H2O2: 12:41am On Jan 20, 2010
Are you flirting with me? 'cos I don't mind. I'm just embarrassed.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Very Important!!!what Is 'aura' In Yoruba Language? / History Of Kabba In Kogi State / ?????????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.