Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,153 members, 7,811,306 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:51 AM

Reason Why The Letters On A Computer Keyboard Are Not In Alphabetical Order - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Reason Why The Letters On A Computer Keyboard Are Not In Alphabetical Order (2878 Views)

Reason Why The Letters On A Computer Keyboard Are Not In Alphabetical Order / Common Uses Of Function Keys F1 To F12 On Your Computer Keyboard / Functions Of F Keys "F1 - F12" In A Computer Keyboard And They Works When Press (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reason Why The Letters On A Computer Keyboard Are Not In Alphabetical Order by GoodyOG: 9:05pm On Mar 12, 2017
Why The Letters On Computer Keyboard Are NOT In Alphabetical Order?
You are reading thus article now because you want to know the reason why the letters on the keyboard are not in alphabetical order.Well, am gonna exlain it to you.

[img]https://3.bp..com/-EvqikiE9wCY/WMWnB7RNyKI/AAAAAAAABBs/8rvG2gCShwwVez32vo6RzYHnNQ4Dlw5ugCLcB/s1600/306327-logitech-k810-bluetooth-illuminated-keyboard.jpeg[/img]

The modern keyboard which we are using is called as QWERTY keyboard which is the first 6 letters of the keyboard. The word is used just because the starting characters of the keyboard is in QWERTY order. This is been used in mobile phones before it was used in Typewriters.

ALSO SEE: The Reason ATM Has Only Four Digit Personal Identification Number(PIN) Code

Who Created this keyboard and Why He didn’t arranged the letters in Alphabetical order?
The first keyboard was invented by Christopher Latham Sholes and it was the birth of the keyboard and he arranged the words in alphabetical order. Later on because of some issues it was changed.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-okPqdNPJrPo/WMWmrcfM47I/AAAAAAAABBk/ZuHRDiWej58FuQZXtD3Oc_oI3jrztjbgwCLcB/s1600/Ever-Wondered-Why-The-Letters-On-A-Computer-Keyboard-Are-NOT-In-Alphabetical-Order-3.jpg[/img]

Then the arrangement changed of the keyboard and they thought to add the key in the different order. Then afterwards the keyboard was looking like the given image below. It was looking weird isn’t it? This was the second time when the arrangement was changed.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-G4FQEVRr_S8/WMWm10HcoVI/AAAAAAAABBo/bYLlu_LkVKsuLoiSokiBnhTO-9jR82raQCLcB/s1600/Ever-Wondered-Why-The-Letters-On-A-Computer-Keyboard-Are-NOT-In-Alphabetical-Order-2.jpg[/img]

Afterwards it was also changed just because old typewriters were getting jammed and it was really difficult for the users to type correctly.

When the typewriters types too fast the key gets jammed and when it gets jammed they need to remove the old paper and unjammed the key and which was difficult for them because whatever they have written is of waste. Then they need to wash their hands. This was the issues which were taken place. Then they need to insert new sheet and start working again.

Then Christopher Latham Sholes and his partners sold the design of the keyboard to Remington & Sons , later on they created the first typewriters and then arranged the letters in the QWERTY form. Then this layout was the default layout.

The QWERTY keyboard helps you to type in such as way that the type writers also don’t gets jammed and it makes difficult for peoples to type fast in this keyboard.

The amazing fact is that you will find the word TYPEWRITER in the first line of keyboard which is really amazing.

SOURCE: GoodiesTechs Blog

2 Likes

Re: Reason Why The Letters On A Computer Keyboard Are Not In Alphabetical Order by GoodyOG: 9:16pm On Mar 12, 2017
Cc:
lalasticlala
Maleeq
skydancer
Re: Reason Why The Letters On A Computer Keyboard Are Not In Alphabetical Order by dotuna3(m): 9:24pm On Mar 12, 2017
Cool
Re: Reason Why The Letters On A Computer Keyboard Are Not In Alphabetical Order by newyorks(m): 9:27pm On Mar 12, 2017
tnx for satifying my long time curiousity.nairaland is amazing.
Re: Reason Why The Letters On A Computer Keyboard Are Not In Alphabetical Order by kingin55(m): 9:36am On Mar 13, 2017
good
Re: Reason Why The Letters On A Computer Keyboard Are Not In Alphabetical Order by talk2uwem(m): 1:24pm On Mar 20, 2017
good write up
Re: Reason Why The Letters On A Computer Keyboard Are Not In Alphabetical Order by Nobody: 1:47pm On Mar 21, 2017
angry
Re: Reason Why The Letters On A Computer Keyboard Are Not In Alphabetical Order by Zerisin(m): 1:56am On Dec 29, 2020
This is a good thing to know, I was wondering about this a few times and finally found the answer. Sometimes the most obvious solutions aren't the best and most practical. Most of the things which we use today are a result of evolution and continuous improvement in order to get a better result. Look, for example, at this list of the best programming, keyboards https://teleshoppr.com/best-programming-keyboards/. I am using one of these, very qualitative and perfect for my job, and all of this thanks to the people who dedicated their time to make these amazing keyboards.

1 Like

Re: Reason Why The Letters On A Computer Keyboard Are Not In Alphabetical Order by Sanerid(m): 7:34pm On Jan 04, 2021
Zerisin:
This is a good thing to know, I was wondering about this a few times and finally found the answer. Sometimes the most obvious solutions aren't the best and most practical. Most of the things which we use today are a result of evolution and continuous improvement in order to get a better result. Look, for example, at this list of the best programming, keyboards https://teleshoppr.com/best-programming-keyboards/. I am using one of these, very qualitative and perfect for my job, and all of this thanks to the people who dedicated their time to make these amazing keyboards.
My friend was just looking for this information. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Help Black Ink On My Laptop Screen / Itunes , Winamp and/or Windows Media Player 11 / How To Repair Your Crashed Windows Vista Sidebar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.