Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,702 members, 7,831,192 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? (5849 Views)

Construction Of Ibaka Super Highway Leading To Ibom Deep Seaport Begins / President Buhari, Amaechi And El-Rufai At The Dry Land Seaport In Kaduna / Governor Dickson Pays Army N400m For Seaport Survey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by ovoP(m): 11:37am On Mar 13, 2017
paschu:
I was actually fooled into thinking that you created this thread with purely good intention. But, going by your incoherent rant below, now I know better. I wish well to those who are championing the so called SuperSouth coalition. I seriously hope and pray they succeed. But I am doubtful that it will be so when there are still some delusional folks who feel and reason the way you do.

#Kwontinu.

M Sorry pls u pple should forgive forget what i said please
Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by nonsobaba: 11:38am On Mar 13, 2017
Onitsha river port ofcourse. That is why I despised Jonathan for abandoning the River Niger dredging that Yar' Adua started.

3 Likes

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Nobody: 11:44am On Mar 13, 2017
ovoP:
M sorry forgive me 4 dissing d ibos

broh sorry too for getting back at you, the problem is, you are barking the wrong tree, every Igbo man wants our southern and riverine brothers to progress and use what God gave them to develop their areas, and as we are discussing the seaport, if any of them starts working at maximum capacity, all of us will enjoy it, easy movement upward and downwards of our goods, and our people will start investing more at home, cus there is a seaport nearer to home.

3 Likes

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Adiola(f): 11:55am On Mar 13, 2017
ovoP:
Sorry please forgive my one sidedness
you have exposed ur intention already

3 Likes

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by cheruv: 11:55am On Mar 13, 2017
Opharhe:
Yes it's a beautiful River. I think the place is called Uruakwu or so(not sure) in Abia. That place will be good for a River Port because it's linked directly to Bonny on the Atlantic in Rivers State.

But from the pictures I've seen, that place will be good for a river tourism park.
Directly to opobo not bonny...

Bonny lies at the mouth of the bonny river while opobo lies at the mouth of the Imo river(also called opobo river too)

1 Like

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by ovoP(m): 12:05pm On Mar 13, 2017
NormalCodes:

broh sorry too for getting back at you, the problem is, you are barking the wrong tree, every Igbo man wants our southern and riverine brothers to progress and use what God gave them to develop their areas, and as we are discussing the seaport, if any of them starts working at maximum capacity, all of us will enjoy it, easy movement upward and downwards of our goods, and our people will start investing more at home, cus there is a seaport nearer to home.
Thanks i get it nw

1 Like

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Blue3k(m): 12:06pm On Mar 13, 2017
signz:

I've not heard anything about the sea port for quite sometime now.

Has the construction started?

Not yet they are at that stage. Construction is slated for 2018. Then done 2020.

2 Likes

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by ovoP(m): 12:10pm On Mar 13, 2017
Adiola:
you have exposed ur intention already
sorry i was trying to stop tribalism in this thread but i ended up been on been one sided
Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Blue3k(m): 12:20pm On Mar 13, 2017
consensus says Ibom Deep Seaport and Onitsha port. Now I'm wondering how well do SS and SE connect. Akwa Ibom has highway to Abia then future coastal train has stop from Uyo to Aba.

I assume mostly by truck we'll move most goods.

1 Like

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Mar 13, 2017
Blue3k:
Contentious says Ibom Deep Seaport and Onitsha port. Now I'm wondering how well do SS and SE connect. Akwa Ibom has highway to Abia then future coastal train has stop from Uyo to Aba.

I assure you if that seaport is done, all the highways connecting Abia to Akwa Ibom will receive enough political will to be expanded and rebuilt...
I believe the two states will work together in this aspect.

1 Like

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by ImperialYoruba: 1:42pm On Mar 13, 2017
The OP was correct in observing that Ibos arn't united. If I were him I would not change my position nor apologize.

Anambra people hate that Imo or Aba should have a port and transform into the commercial nerve center for Biafra, their sense of entitlement is calling for Onitsha port to be the flag bearer.

I know you lack capacity for visioning but let me use my Afonja and amala and ewedu brain to tease you small and bring out recognition of imminent dangers. grin

The gully erosion you suffer from is pervasive in all your states but most devastating in Anambra. This is so because you are developing on lands that is suspended on a very high water table and your soil type is also not in your favor. Commercial oil activities in the delta is creating increase in sedimentation density and forcing subterranean soil structure to collapse at fault points. This is why roads that carry heavy traffic volume and load are easily the ones to sink. Do you get it so far?

All your states are in forest belt, giving you high volume of rainfall. You suffer from poor urban planning, surface water have poor drainage, resulting in flood. If you dredge Onitsha and create depth you will equally increase sedimentation density and further weaken the sub soil. Is this what you want?

Yoruba dont want this for you. Clearly we are tired of receiving any more refugees escaping calamity in East. You will anger us if you dredge that river. You do not want to make us upset.

Stop any further discussion about dredging Onitsha port, its a calamity! Do sedimentation study ad subsoil study and find which of your states on a river mouth is best positioned for a commercial port without any of the attendant problems of grounds caving in underneath you.

OP is not Ibo but look at how he pulled out a very critical point with plenty values and is helping to open your eyes to what you were blind to. Instead of bringing a young Ibo virgin to gift him you are beating him up. You are your own enemy.

Left to me I would, and you all should think critically about this...the port should be located in Imo State. I cant tell you why..thats your gaddem job to find out.

Yeye!
Signed by Afonja.

2 Likes

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by signz: 2:00pm On Mar 13, 2017
Blue3k:

Not yet they are at that stage. Construction is slated for 2018. Then done 2020.

Beautiful.

I thought it has been abandoned.

Thank you very much
Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by signz: 2:08pm On Mar 13, 2017
Blue3k:
Contentious says Ibom Deep Seaport and Onitsha port. Now I'm wondering how well do SS and SE connect. Akwa Ibom has highway to Abia then future coastal train has stop from Uyo to Aba.

We're already moving our goods from Lagos to the East. We'll do same if Ibom port starts, atleast till our leaders sees a need to build inter regional rail lines.

Meanwhile there's already a functional rail line linking Enugu to Abia State PH - Maidugari rail line passed connects both states.

I just thank God the project as not been abandoned.

2 Likes

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Danhumprey: 3:19pm On Mar 13, 2017
ITbomb:

I take God beg you leave the thread as e be, serious minds are discussing.
Find another name calling thread on the front page and continue your Afonja vs Flatheadds rant
LMAO.....grin grin
Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 13, 2017
ImperialYoruba:
The OP was correct in observing that Ibos arn't united. If I were him I would not change my position nor apologize.

Anambra people hate that Imo or Aba should have a port and transform into the commercial nerve center for Biafra, their sense of entitlement is calling for Onitsha port to be the flag bearer.

I know you lack capacity for visioning but let me use my Afonja and amala and ewedu brain to tease you small and bring out recognition of imminent dangers. grin

The gully erosion you suffer from is pervasive in all your states but most devastating in Anambra. This is so because you are developing on lands that is suspended on a very high water table and your soil type is also not in your favor. Commercial oil activities in the delta is creating increase in sedimentation density and forcing subterranean soil structure to collapse at fault points. This is why roads that carry heavy traffic volume and load are easily the ones to sink. Do you get it so far?

All your states are in forest belt, giving you high volume of rainfall. You suffer from poor urban planning, surface water have poor drainage, resulting in flood. If you dredge Onitsha and create depth you will equally increase sedimentation density and further weaken the sub soil. Is this what you want?

Yoruba dont want this for you. Clearly we are tired of receiving any more refugees escaping calamity in East. You will anger us if you dredge that river. You do not want to make us upset.

Stop any further discussion about dredging Onitsha port, its a calamity! Do sedimentation study ad subsoil study and find which of your states on a river mouth is best positioned for a commercial port without any of the attendant problems of grounds caving in underneath you.

OP is not Ibo but look at how he pulled out a very critical point with plenty values and is helping to open your eyes to what you were blind to. Instead of bringing a young Ibo virgin to gift him you are beating him up. You are your own enemy.

Left to me I would, and you all should think critically about this...the port should be located in Imo State. I cant tell you why..thats your gaddem job to find out.

Yeye!
Signed by Afonja.
Your comments are so transparent.
Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by nonsobaba: 5:56pm On Mar 13, 2017
igbodefender:
Your comments are so transparent.
Which transparent? All that trash he said does not hold water because that dredging would have also come with shoreline protection that would mitigate against any coastal erosion. Even d Imo state he is talking about has no direct access to river Niger. The guy is just an APC clown. By their stupid reasoning, you shall know them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Blue3k(m): 6:50pm On Mar 13, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

Putting a port of any kind in Onitsha will create ecological imbalance for water life and plants upstream. The resulting imbalance can have many adverse outcomes far outweighing derivable and commercial benefit of the intending port.

I hope you know that many upstream communities depend on seasonal rain and swollen tide for subsistence living and agriculture, whether its farming, fishing or herding.

These population are at risk if you disturb the balance of life in the water or reduce its capacity for farm irrigation or if the streams and channels that feed into it should dry up and empty out water holes in arid areas.

Please do not discuss anything called Onitsha port dredging.

Find other ways to transport goods from Onne to Biafra.

I would like to know the study your referencing. I think a potential port would be more beneficial to that community than continued subsistence farming. I would like it better if the arent displaced but I think irrigation technology better. You did say the place has high water table. Please enlighten us with articles.
Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by explorer250(m): 7:13pm On Mar 13, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

Yeye!
Signed by Afonja.

this is the first time of liking an afonja post in my 3yrs of being a registered member on this forum because you made "some partial sense"

but don't be mischievous next time because you will be bashed
Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by explorer250(m): 7:16pm On Mar 13, 2017
nonsobaba:
Which transparent? All that trash he said does not hold water because that dredging would have also come with shoreline protection that would mitigate against any coastal erosion. Even d Imo state he is talking about has no direct access to river Niger. The guy is just an APC clown. By their stupid reasoning, you shall know them.

I think Igbo unity should be Paramount to you. states are artificial creations
Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by explorer250(m): 7:20pm On Mar 13, 2017
mynd44 lalasticlala please do judgement to this thread by moving it to front page since they are enlightening and void of tribal pollution
Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Mar 13, 2017
nonsobaba:
You are preaching to the converted. I am totally in suport of dredging the Onitsha Port.

1 Like

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by CzarChris(m): 11:10pm On Mar 13, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

Yeye!
Signed by Afonja.
I have to say I am impressed with your level of knowledge of sedimentation, it shows you are a good "theoretical" geologist.
1st of all, you mentioned that we have a high water level in the south east, so that is one of the reasons for the gully erosion ravaging our cities. The Anambra basin is does not have a high water level, compared to the south south and coastal areas of Nigeria. If it was as a result of the aquifer being close to land then what will you say about Lagos, Ondo, Delta, Rivers that are not passing through this gully erosion issue.

2. The soil in the south east is mainly lateritic in nature and has the tendency to flow because of the low cohesive nature of those soils and the high percentage of clay content in the soils in that area.

3. The major causes of erosion in some the areas I studied and made publications about are
i) massive development of rural area without proper planning for drainage(years of government neglecting the south east caused this so we do our own developments ourselves much to the disbelief of people like you and there is only so much an individual can do).
ii) Our soil type has a large percentage of clay in it so it flows when rain water reaches its liquid limit.( Go and study atterberg limits and shear strength of soils for better understanding).

4. So how those this affect a proposed port in Onticha? When even if what you are saying is true, simple shoreline protection can be done to prevent what you said above(by the way, the still conduct EIA before such a project is undertaken).

5. If we have an island port in Anambra, Imo and Abịa, is anything wrong with that? Considering that Onitcha has the largest market in West Africa, so them having an inland port is not out of the ordinary.

6. I am from Imo State, true we have issues with the Anambra people, but even twin brothers fight and settle amicably. Then who the flying f**K are you to interfere, is it your fight?

7. Good to know that the Yoruba don't want Igbo 'refugees". Then stop systematically killing the seaports in other states, let them grow and compete favourably and believe me we will leave your God forsaken land in a hurry.

Yeye dey smell,
Proudly 5%

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by HiddenShadow: 11:26pm On Mar 13, 2017
CzarChris:
I have to say I am impressed with your level of knowledge of sedimentation, it shows you are a good "theoretical" geologist.
1st of all, you mentioned that we have a high water level in the south east, so that is one of the reasons for the gully erosion ravaging our cities. The Anambra basin is does not have a high water level, compared to the south south and coastal areas of Nigeria. If it was as a result of the aquifer being close to land then what will you say about Lagos, Ondo, Delta, Rivers that are not passing through this gully erosion issue.

2. The soil in the south east is mainly lateritic in nature and has the tendency to flow because of the low cohesive nature of those soils and the high percentage of clay content in the soils in that area.

3. The major causes of erosion in some the areas I studied and made publications about are
i) massive development of rural area without proper planning for drainage(years of government neglecting the south east caused this so we do our own developments ourselves much to the disbelief of people like you and there is only so much an individual can do).
ii) Our soil type has a large percentage of clay in it so it flows when rain water reaches its liquid limit.( Go and study atterberg limits and shear strength of soils for better understanding).

4. So how those this affect a proposed port in Onticha? When even if what you are saying is true, simple shoreline protection can be done to prevent what you said above(by the way, the still conduct EIA before such a project is undertaken).

5. If we have an island port in Anambra, Imo and Abịa, is anything wrong with that? Considering that Onitcha has the largest market in West Africa, so them having an inland port is not out of the ordinary.

6. I am from Imo State, true we have issues with the Anambra people, but even twin brothers fight and settle amicably. Then who the flying f**K are you to interfere, is it your fight?

7. Good to know that the Yoruba don't want Igbo 'refugees". Then stop systematically killing the seaports in other states, let them grow and compete favourably and believe me we will leave your God forsaken land in a hurry.

Yeye dey smell,
Proudly 5%

You have murdered an Afonja

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by gtrust: 11:27pm On Mar 13, 2017
If approved and completed, Ibaka can receive super-heavy vessel!
No dredging required
Opens straight into ocean
Better than Cotonou and far far better than all Lagos combined!!!

Could double as Navy & Commercial Hub.
Could service West, East & North

It's strategic for Nigeria and it can only be delayed never DENIED!
It WILL happen!!!!

ovoP:
reasons pls?

1 Like

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Opharhe: 12:29am On Mar 14, 2017
cheruv:

Directly to opobo not bonny...

Bonny lies at the mouth of the bonny river while opobo lies at the mouth of the Imo river(also called opobo river too)
Oh yes, you're correct.
Thanks.
Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by TRUSTEDPAY: 6:40am On Mar 14, 2017
CzarChris:

Yeye dey smell,
Proudly 5%

BRAVO & KUDOS YOU HAVE DECIMATED THE SWIN.E CUM AFONJA!!!
Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by CzarChris(m): 12:31pm On Mar 14, 2017
TRUSTEDPAY:

BRAVO & KUDOS YOU HAVE DECIMATED THE SWIN.E CUM AFONJA!!!
HiddenShadow:

You have murdered an Afonja
Make una no mind am, na only im go school.
Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by 9jabull: 1:30pm On Mar 14, 2017
Is it a taboo for us to have many see ports & river ports in the zone.
South East as a people who are good in business which always lead to competition between business men don't need one port but as many as posibble.

I propose ibaka, onne, calaber and portharcout wharf are ok.
On sea port I propose Onitsha, Oguta and azummri in Aba.

We need as many as possible to force down cost because their will be competition among them and to reduce heavy traffic jam on our highways also avoid frequent damage of roads.

Ala Igbo ga adiriri mma.
Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Blue3k(m): 1:42pm On Mar 14, 2017
9jabull:
Is it a taboo for us to have many see ports & river ports in the zone.
South East as a people who are good in business which always lead to competition between business men don't need one port but as many as posibble.

I propose ibaka, onne, calaber and portharcout wharf are ok.
On sea port I propose Onitsha, Oguta and azummri in Aba.

We need as many as possible to force down cost because their will be competition among them and to reduce heavy traffic jam on our highways also avoid frequent damage of roads.

Ala Igbo ga adiriri mma.

I don't think anyone aguring against your point. In Texas there's many ports besides Houston and Galveston. Theres actually 23 in Texas. The same should Nigeria. The issue is money. We don't have money to do them all at ounce. So you choose best and fund.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

After Oyigbo Killing See What An IPOB Member Did On Facebook PHOTOS / Look At These Two Photographs Of Our Troops And Tell Me What You Think / "This Is Port Harcourt Not Asokoro"- Wike's Magic Wand In Action: Pics & Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.