Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,074 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:25 AM

Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? (5808 Views)

Construction Of Ibaka Super Highway Leading To Ibom Deep Seaport Begins / President Buhari, Amaechi And El-Rufai At The Dry Land Seaport In Kaduna / Governor Dickson Pays Army N400m For Seaport Survey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by ovoP(m): 9:36pm On Mar 12, 2017
We all know we have a seaport in lagos used to ship in goods in an out of the country but this has nt been d most favourable in terms of distance. Fact still remains that one or more of the port in the south east or niger delta should be fully functional as it will be able to serve for trade in this part of the country.However, if a port is to be drenched and be made fully functional 'politics' will be involved as a lot of politicians will like to see such development in his or her state. The question is which seaport will best serve this region....4rm d available ones like onne port,warri port,bayelsa,onitsha,calabar e.t.c

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by gtrust: 11:08pm On Mar 12, 2017
Ibaka Seaport in Akwa-Ibom state

If approved and completed, Ibaka can receive super-heavy vessels!!!
No dredging required
Opens straight into ocean
Better than Cotonou and far far better than all Lagos combined!!!

Could double as Navy & Commercial Hub.
Could service West, East & North

It's strategic for Nigeria and it can only be delayed never DENIED!
It WILL happen!!!!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by ovoP(m): 11:11pm On Mar 12, 2017
gtrust:
Ibaka Seaport in Akwa-Ibom state
reasons pls?

1 Like

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by dragonking3: 11:13pm On Mar 12, 2017
ovoP:
We all know we have a seaport in lagos used to ship in goods in an out of the country but this has nt been d most favourable in terms of distance. Fact still remains that one or more of the port in the south east or niger delta should be fully functional as it will be able to serve for trade in this part of the country.However, if a port is to be drenched and be made fully functional 'politics' will be involved as a lot of politicians will like to see such development in his or her state. The question is which seaport will best serve this region....4rm d available ones like onne port,warri port,bayelsa,onitsha,calabar e.t.c
Either Warri or Calabar

2 Likes

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by ozoebuka1(m): 11:13pm On Mar 12, 2017
considering that main market onitsha is the biggest market in the whole of west Africa, any sincere mind will agree with me that a seaport in onitsha will be more feasible.

14 Likes

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Ra88: 11:13pm On Mar 12, 2017
Anyone from SS
Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Mar 12, 2017
A/Ibom, because its at the centre of SE and SS.

9 Likes

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by omenkaLives(m): 11:15pm On Mar 12, 2017
Afonja trying to cause division between brothers. cheesy cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by LoveMachine(m): 11:18pm On Mar 12, 2017
ozoebuka1:
considering that main market onitsha is the biggest market in the whole of west Africa, any sincere mind will agree with me that a seaport in onitsha will be more feasible.

Couple that with Anambra being the most restive & security conscious in the SE/SS Region.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by ovoP(m): 11:26pm On Mar 12, 2017
dragonking3:
Either Warri or Calabar
Reasons please
Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Blue3k(m): 12:13am On Mar 13, 2017
ovoP:

I don't know which one is the current best. I haven't shipped anything or work in industry. I won't answer that. I'll just assume which ever one is most used is the best. Port authority has stats if you care to know that.

To talk I future tense. I would assume Ibom Deep Seaport will be the best. Then you have to factor In Ibom industrial city with Free trade zone status. It has it own gas wells to sustain power. The private sector is what Akwa Ibom is banking on to make port successful. It won't just be annother big government elephant project.

● The Ibom superhighway will be a 12 lane ultramodern thoroughfare with 6 lanes on either side of the divide. 4 of the lanes will be medial speed lanes and will have a toll gate while the other 2 lanes on either side will be to service exits into surrounding communities.

● the project will be funded through a Public Private Partnership (PPP) model, and is expected to be completed within 24 months.

● First segment of the rail line: Calabar – Uyo – Aba – Port-Harcourt will be ready within two years with a possible future link to the Ibom Deep Sea Port and Ibom Industrial City

● Uyo airport to move goods.

● Berth depth of 14m - 16m

● naval secruity

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by SIRmanjar(m): 12:57am On Mar 13, 2017
Onitcha will be the best place cos itz a commercial area like lagos.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by PapaBrowne(m): 1:57am On Mar 13, 2017
ozoebuka1:

There is no sea in Onitsha so there can't be a seaport there. What you can have is a river port that can have small vessels transferring goods to a seaport.

The most central is Onne. It is a maximum 3hrs from all the states in the SuperSouth(SE+SS).

Plus there is already on going activity there.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Nobody: 2:10am On Mar 13, 2017
PapaBrowne:

There is no sea in Onitsha so there can't be a seaport there. What you can have is a river port that can have small vessels transferring goods to a seaport.

The most central is Onne. It is a maximum 3hrs from all the states in the SuperSouth(SE+SS).

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by ImperialYoruba: 5:31am On Mar 13, 2017
PapaBrowne:

Putting a port of any kind in Onitsha will create ecological imbalance for water life and plants upstream. The resulting imbalance can have many adverse outcomes far outweighing derivable and commercial benefit of the intending port.

I hope you know that many upstream communities depend on seasonal rain and swollen tide for subsistence living and agriculture, whether its farming, fishing or herding.

These population are at risk if you disturb the balance of life in the water or reduce its capacity for farm irrigation or if the streams and channels that feed into it should dry up and empty out water holes in arid areas.

Please do not discuss anything called Onitsha port dredging.

Find other ways to transport goods from Onne to Biafra.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by omenkaLives(m): 6:05am On Mar 13, 2017
LoveMachine:

Couple that with Anambra being the most restive & security conscious in the SE/SS Region.
Oh my days! Ignorance na terrible thing.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by REDshouse(m): 6:08am On Mar 13, 2017
ibaka seaport cos akwa ibom is the most peaceful states in south south and south east....also it has a deep enough to accommodate large vessel compare to the rivers in the east

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Nobody: 6:16am On Mar 13, 2017
Ibaka (when completed) for reasons blue3k has stated above.

Ordinarily, it should be Onne (Port Harcourt) Federal policy has made sure commercial import/export through it is not beneficial to small businesses. It is also not deep enough, large oceanliners must berth at Bonny.

Calabar is neglected because of Cameroun harrassing ships coming here.

Warri seaport is also not deep enough.

3 Likes

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by mrvitalis(m): 6:27am On Mar 13, 2017
Let's be reasonable... This the reason we igbos want south south as part of Biafra (access to the sea )...

Onne or ibaka should feed aba and they should be connected by road and rail with a land Port at aba

Onitcha should be feed through warrior port by road and rail system with a land Port too

Calabar should be kinked to Enugu by roads and rail

Port Harcourt and owerri should work

2 Likes

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by raker300: 6:34am On Mar 13, 2017
The only reason we get insulted for investing in southwest (lagos) is because of the sea port there.

Anambra State sea port is already there, dredge the river so that ships will come in and go out directly from the east and watch how igbos will abandon Lagos.

Anambra already has the highest indigenous companies in Nigeria, in a spirit to grow Nigerian local market, this should be a way to go.

The state is also over the top security conscious..with development at an alarming rate. Just seems fair

Below:
1. Onitsha sea port

2. Onitsha industrial estate close to sea port

3 Likes

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by raker300: 6:54am On Mar 13, 2017
mrvitalis:
Let's be reasonable... This the reason we igbos want south south as part of Biafra (access to the sea )...

Onne or ibaka should feed aba and they should be connected by road and rail with a land Port at aba

Onitcha should be feed through warrior port by road and rail system with a land Port too

Calabar should be kinked to Enugu by roads and rail

Port Harcourt and owerri should work
you're not fooling anyone mr.

8 Likes

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Blue3k(m): 6:55am On Mar 13, 2017
raker300:

Anambra State sea port is already there, dredge the river so that ships will come in and go out directly from the east and watch how igbos will abandon Lagos.

There seems to plan to dredge up inland ports. In Nigeria hopefully Anambra is considered.

•Dredge 1,000km of inland waterways and reinforce riverbanks to increase the capacity of inland waterways

Pg 79. Economic recovery plan

1 Like

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by ovoP(m): 6:56am On Mar 13, 2017
Cc; lalasticlala mynd44
Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by raker300: 6:58am On Mar 13, 2017
PapaBrowne:

we're talking of serving ss and se not the whole of Nigeria. Also Onitsha already has the market for those things why play politics..with the large concentration of markets and industries in onitsha, that should be a wiser option

2 Likes

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Maduawuchukwu(m): 7:08am On Mar 13, 2017
Nice thread Oga Ovo p. Please no tribal or ethnic insults on this thread.I dont have a very good knowledge of Seaports and their operations but I heard that the Ibaka area is the best for hosting a seaport and it seems well connected to the South-south and south east so I kind of support Ibaka.
Onitsha is a river-port and not a sea-port so I don't see it going there as it is on the Niger.
Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by HiddenShadow: 7:13am On Mar 13, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

Putting a port of any kind in Onitsha will create ecological imbalance for water life and plants upstream. The resulting imbalance can have many adverse outcomes far outweighing derivable and commercial benefit of the intending port.

I hope you know that many upstream communities depend on seasonal rain and swollen tide for subsistence living and agriculture, whether its farming, fishing or herding.

These population are at risk if you disturb the balance of life in the water or reduce its capacity for farm irrigation or if the streams and channels that feed into it should dry up and empty out water holes in arid areas.

Please do not discuss anything called Onitsha port dredging.

Find other ways to transport goods from Onne to Biafra.

Afonjas and their demonic advice

No wonder their ancestor was thrown out of heaven

Onitsha river port will stand whether Afonjas like it or not angry

8 Likes

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by HiddenShadow: 7:24am On Mar 13, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:
Nice thread Oga Ovo p. Please no tribal or ethnic insults on this thread.I dont have a very good knowledge of Seaports and their operations but I heard that the Ibaka area is the best for hosting a seaport and it seems well connected to the South-south and south east so I kind of support Ibaka.
Onitsha is a river-port and not a sea-port so I don't see it going there as it is on the Niger.

There are 2 ports needed by the SS and SE,

1) Ibaka

2) Onitsha

Ibaka will serve Akwa Ibom Cross River and Southern Igbo region
Imo, Abia and Ebonyi axis

Onitsha will serve Western and Northern Igbo region
Delta ,Anambra and Enugu axis

From these points, goods will easily get to any part of SE and SS

Edo, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers and Cross River should have international seaports since they are close to the Ocean

Lokoja should have a river port that can serve the entire Northern Nigeria. cool

Blue3k

Raker300

Papabrowne

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by ImperialYoruba: 7:26am On Mar 13, 2017
HiddenShadow:

Afonjas and their demonic advice

No wonder their ancestor was thrown out of heaven

Onitsha river port will stand whether Afonjas like it or not angry

Make certain you do not dredge the river bed. Please I beg you, otherwise 67 @$$ whipping at Ore will be a child's play compared with the anger and demolition we will bring along to invade you.

I beg you, if you know whats good for you, leave that port in Onitsha the way it is now, and distance yourself from any whisper or talk about dredging the bed of River Niger at the Onitsha point. That's a political catastrophy waiting to unload. Do you know what River Niger is? I bet you dont have a clue. Dredge that river bed, you will find out. angry

1 Like

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by HiddenShadow: 7:37am On Mar 13, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

Make certain you do not dredge the river bed. Please I beg you, otherwise 67 @$$ whipping at Ore will be a child's play compared with the anger and demolition we will bring along to invade you.

I beg you, if you know whats good for you, leave that port in Onitsha the way it is now, and distance yourself from any whisper or talk about dredging the bed of River Niger at the Onitsha point. That's a political catastrophy waiting to unload. Do you know what River Niger is? I bet you dont have a clue. Dredge that river bed, you will find out. angry

Pls arm more zombies because that river will be dredged as we await you cowards from the land the women of Fon defeated years ago.

2 Likes

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by Nobody: 7:46am On Mar 13, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

Ibaka is 7 hours away from Delta State, 5 from Bayelsa.

I think Onne would be better cos cos PH is closer to Onitsha, Aba, Delta state, Enugu than Akwa Ibom

1 Like

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by HiddenShadow: 7:52am On Mar 13, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

Ibaka is 7 hours away from Delta State, 5 from Bayelsa.

I think Onne would be better cos cos PH is closer to Onitsha, Aba, Delta state, Enugu than Akwa Ibom

Akwa Ibom people are more friendly than the Riverine people when it comes to doing business

Ibaka port should complement Onitsha port

Onitsha port will serve Delta Anambra and Enugu

Ibaka will serve Imo Abia and Ebonyi

2 Likes

Re: Which Seaport Is Best To Serve The South South & South East? by ovoP(m): 7:53am On Mar 13, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

Yorubas n ibos pls stop fighting

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

COVID-19: The True Story Of The 15 Chinese Doctors That Came To Nigeria Exposed / Compare This Burna Boy And Sowore Pictures - You Decided / Full List Of Pasts And Present Nigeria Civilian State Governors & Their Deputies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.