Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,456 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted (5304 Views)

Hurraaaaaaaaaaay!!!! James Ibori Is Coming Back Home Soon! / Al-Mustapha Discharged And Acquitted By Appeal Court / Igp Unable To Arrest James Onanefe Ibori (is Ibori Now Above The Law?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by pyramid253(m): 8:48pm On Dec 17, 2009
The Federal High Court in Asaba today discharged and acquitted the former governor of Delta State, James Ibori, of the 170-count charge of corruption filed against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The presiding judge, Marcel Awokulehin, had adjourned the judgment three times in the past before today’s ruling.

The trial of some associates of Mr. Ibori at the Southwark Crown Court in London was put on hold to allow judgment to be delivered in the case before the Asaba High court.

The London trial involves Udoamaka Onuigbo Okoronkwo, Adebimpe Foleyinmi Pogoson and Christine Ibori-Ibie, who are charged with conspiracy to defraud Delta State, as well as related money-laundering charges regarding Mr. Ibori’s alleged theft of $140 million belonging to the state.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5498444-146/story.csp
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by Depilot(m): 9:05pm On Dec 17, 2009
Ribadu is to be blamed.
If Ribadu had handled his job accordingly, sincerely and professionally, all these thieves will be in jail today; but he messed everything up and now he's on the run.
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by selingel: 9:10pm On Dec 17, 2009
When I blamed Ribadu, his worshippers nearly crucify me. I keep my mouth shut!.
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by redsun(m): 9:21pm On Dec 17, 2009
Nigerian judicial system is a rogue one just like the government.Na dem dem,the attorney general of nigeria is a prolific criminal just like obasanjo and ibori.

Anyone doubting that nigeria is a lawless country should have his or her head check for psychiatric evaluations
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by linuxuser(m): 9:43pm On Dec 17, 2009
Depilot:

Ribadu's worshippers are fools and enemies of Nigeria.

Are you sure your head does not need an examination? If do not think so, your comment betrays your level of intelligence.
selingel:

I am sure Ribadu is also resposnsible for the absence of our sickly President. Dont you think so?
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by snowdrops(m): 9:52pm On Dec 17, 2009
linuxuser:

I am sure Ribadu is also resposnsible for the absence of our sickly President. Dont you think so?
Dont mind the I-D-I-O-T-S.
They will probably blame him for climate also change

Nigeria no longer surprises me. It is confirmed a failed state no matter what the apologists say.
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by Nobody: 10:44pm On Dec 17, 2009
With aaondoaka being d agf antigraft war is dead.Haliburton case dead,vaswani stallion group courj faults their deportation
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by selingel: 11:12pm On Dec 17, 2009
linuxuser:

Are you sure your head does not need an examination? If do not think so, your comment betrays your level of intelligence.

I never knew you had been discharged from Yaba, but I hope you never go near any market, so that it does not get worse, else imbecility will join. I hope you are recovering well slowpoke!.
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by selingel: 11:13pm On Dec 17, 2009
snowdrops:

Nigeria no longer surprises me. It is confirmed a failed state no matter what the apologists say.

As for you, I hope you have not missed any dosage, because it might come back, I mean madness. I learnt it runs in your lineage, mumu!.
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by selingel: 11:23pm On Dec 17, 2009
The reason I blame Ribadu is simple; the delay he allowed while in power is what caused all the lapses, which are now being used against him, and the current EFCC's case. I keep saying it, had he prosecuted immediately, when he got the initial evidence, all these judicial acrobatic would have been history. Now, what do you expect the Supreme Court to do? Go check Soludo vs 17 others at the Supreme Court, then you will know the result of the case even before it gets there. It is not all about worshipping one man who is a coward, but analysing issues for the benefit of all. Where one does not have good argument, do not insult the other, but bow out. I am ready for the maggots above, fools!.
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by ozalogbo: 12:25am On Dec 18, 2009
There is ample evidence that many commentators are disappointed that Ibori was not convicted as they would have hoped. But the fact is that cases are not decided by popular belief or on the pages of newspaper. They are based on facts, evidence. If you allege that a man stole, the burden of prove lies with you. I BELIEVE and I KNOW are two different things.

As for the adjournment of the case three times, many do not know the circumstance that led to it. Debo Adeniran had written a petition to the Chief Justice of the Federation (CJF), Kutigi, alleging misconduct on the part of the judge. The CJF wrote to the judge, asking him to respond to the allegations. The judge then wrote back to the CJF, presenting his defence. The National Judicial Council then met and considered the judge’s response. Meanwhile, until the judge got the reaction of the NJC, he could not deliver his judgment. This was why he kept adjourning. It was just last week that the NJC met and considered the judge’s response. The petition was finally thrown away because it was baseless.

On the EFCC allegation that Ibori tried to bribe Ribadu, the Judge said that it remains a huge surprise that the only man who could have said who gave him the alleged money, and for what purpose, Andy Uba, as Ribadu, Lamorde and James Garba said in the statements to the Police that they collected the money from Uba’s house, never made a statement to the Police.

He also held that there was no report of an investigation into the matter, and that Ibori was not questioned over the allegation when he faced EFCC interrogation on 4th of July 2007, though the alleged crime was said to have been committed in April 2007.

And that worst of all, Ribadu’s statements as well as those of Lamorde and James Garba were made on December 12, after Ibori was charged to Kaduna court December 11.

I took the last two paragraphs from elombah.com to reenforce the fact that in law, judgement is not based on sentiments or belief, but on facts
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by Oboma1(m): 3:31am On Dec 18, 2009
linuxuser:

Beast!, you should have looked at the mirror first before insulting. I am not surprised by Selingel's response to you. I guess it is befitting. Stop insulting people on Nairaland. Post your own comments and leave.
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by Oboma1(m): 3:34am On Dec 18, 2009
snowdrops:

Your own case is even worse. Do not worry, I will not add to it. I will just advice; Please stop follow-follow (insulting people) and post your own comment.
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by princekevo(m): 8:58am On Dec 18, 2009
What are the signs of a land that is being cursed?
1. Their leaders and Judges has been giving over to a reprobrate mind,
2. their leaders have no conscience anymore,
3. they lost sense Judgement, as such,
(a) the(criminals) walk on the street freely, while the innocents waste behind the bars.
(b) someone with almost 170 charges can be discharged and acquiteted for lack of eveidence, even when the evidences are obviouse and not far fetched.
(c) a state criminal convicted for embezzling $21m is being fined $25,000 only for his punishment. What happened to asking him to refund the money he embezzeled?

4. the people of the land live and die in abject poverty on a daily bases, yet could not speak out.

All these are the things you can only find in Nigeria. So we are not suprised of the outcome.
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by citizenY(m): 9:15am On Dec 18, 2009
Things have really fallen apart cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by chosen04(f): 9:18am On Dec 18, 2009
Depilot:

Ribadu is to be blamed.
If Ribadu had handled his job accordingly, sincerely and professionally, all these thieves will be in jail today; but he messed everything up and now he's on the run.

ODE is talking i guess!

selingel:

SO when you congratulated WAZIRI her worshippers hailed you? Why not open your mouth and keeping following the wind?
Its obvious with ppl like you the battle is lost.

Its Ribadu that also made the court not to notice Ibori has a former convict when GANI took him to court.
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by harmeenut: 9:50am On Dec 18, 2009
Quote from: linuxuser on Yesterday at 09:43:58 PM

I am sure Ribadu is also resposnsible for the absence of our sickly President.  Dont you think so?
grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy ROTLMAO. I/m sure AGF will attribute the inability to get the halliburton french evidences translated into English to Ribadu.
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by chosen04(f): 10:00am On Dec 18, 2009
harmeenut:

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy ROTLMAO. I/m sure AGF will attribute the inability to get the halliburton french evidences translated into English to Ribadu.

Same way DEPILOT AND SELINGEL will also blame Ribadu.
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by Nobody: 10:04am On Dec 18, 2009
So Ibori still got away.

Nigeria, really is bleeped!
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by smoothine: 10:31am On Dec 18, 2009
The reason I blame Ribadu is simple; the delay he allowed while in power is what caused all the lapses, which are now being used against him, and the current EFCC's case. I keep saying it, had he prosecuted immediately, when he got the initial evidence, all these judicial acrobatic would have been history. Now, what do you expect the Supreme Court to do? Go check Soludo vs 17 others at the Supreme Court, then you will know the result of the case even before it gets there. It is not all about worshipping one man who is a coward, but analysing issues for the benefit of all. Where one does not have good argument, do not insult the other, but bow out. I am ready for the maggots above, fools!.

@selingel or whatever ,i dont blame the people who hav been bashing you .sometimes you need to think before opening your mouth. grin Was the immunity clause enjoyed by the governors not responsible for the delay in their prosecution .so how come it is ribadu's fault.
OH i forgot ribadu wrote the constitution now grin grin
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by GeorgeD1(m): 11:55am On Dec 18, 2009
i just laugh. did anyone expect anything different? a thief being tried by thieves. where will the conviction come from?! angry
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by pnettech(m): 12:03pm On Dec 18, 2009
It is well, Isn't true?
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by olisa07: 12:06pm On Dec 18, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are the signs of a land that is being cursed?
1. Their leaders and Judges has been giving over to a reprobrate mind,
2. their leaders have no conscience anymore,
3. they lost sense Judgement, as such,
   (a) the(criminals) walk on the street freely, while the innocents waste behind the bars.
   (b) someone with almost 170 charges can be discharged and acquiteted for lack of eveidence, even when the   evidences are obviouse and not far fetched.
   (c) a state criminal convicted for embezzling $21m is being fined $25,000 only for his punishment. What happened to asking him to refund the money he embezzeled?

4. the people of the land live and die in abject poverty on a daily bases, yet could not speak out.

All these are the things you can only find in Nigeria. So we are not suprised of the outcome.  

CORRUPTION is another name for NIGERIA
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by pnettech(m): 12:24pm On Dec 18, 2009
It is well, Isn't it?
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by GeorgeD1(m): 12:35pm On Dec 18, 2009
grrr!
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by ayo84(m): 12:39pm On Dec 18, 2009
i hear ibori is making a run for vice presidency or something
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by Carlosein(m): 12:42pm On Dec 18, 2009
^^^Arrangee, paddy paddy government. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by otukpo(f): 12:43pm On Dec 18, 2009
this is sad. But that is not to say dt Ibori is completely free.

One day, justice will be done and he will pay for all his atrocities.

Judiciary, una no get am right this time sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by blackasia: 12:44pm On Dec 18, 2009
ibori u too much, see as money they change thief to saint, honorable judges to praise singers. ibori 1 vs common man 0 grin
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by breathless(m): 12:47pm On Dec 18, 2009
Lets revert to d old anthem. NIGERIA WE HAIL THEE, OUR OWN THERE FATHERLAND,  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

This certainly is one of d faces of a rebranded 9ja.

Infact our slogan shld read, "9ja land of possibilities"
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by debosky(m): 12:55pm On Dec 18, 2009
Where is cre8ivity? Let her come and celebrate Farida's achievement.

Ribadu began the investigation and prosecution, was removed two weeks after filing the charges and Farida and her cronies ensure the charges are dropped by their abysmal and reprehensible attempts at prosecution. In the end all they could manage was a lame statement to pursue the matter to it's 'logical conclusion'. undecided

With this obstacle removed, the coast is clear for Ibori to vie for Vice President in 2011 alongside either Yardie (if he makes it) or some other Northern candidate.

Well done Aondoakaa, Farida and their other cohorts.
Re: Ibori Is Discharged And Acquitted by econsult(m): 1:04pm On Dec 18, 2009
I agree very much with Ozalogbo that the law is based on facts.The EFCC didn't do their homework well before approaching the court.I think Farida should be sanctioned too.In law the burden of proof lies with the litigant.Once you are not able to do that then ur case is doomed, But we never worrry,Ibori can't escape the London Hammer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gejs' Government Sends Ex-militants Abroad For Education / IGP MD Abubakar Vows To Fight Boko Haram To The End / Disputed Anambra Oil Well: ACF Joins Fray, Backs Kogi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.