Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Customs Comptroller-General Versus Senate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Customs Comptroller-General Versus Senate (819 Views)

Senate Walks Out Hammed Ali, Customs Comptroller General For Not Wearing Uniform / EFCC Recovers 17 Vehicles From Abdullahi Dikko, Ex-Comptroller Of Customs (pics) / Hadiza Bala Usman Visits Ali, Comptroller General Of Customs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Customs Comptroller-General Versus Senate by ademasta(m): 5:02pm On Mar 13, 2017
One day one drama!
The Comptroller-General of the Nigerian Customs Service, Hameed Ali, has replied the Senate after the lawmakers ordered him to appear in “appropriate” uniform next week over the service’s planned action against owners of vehicles without duty payment.

Mr. Ali in an interview granted Television Continental, TVC, and monitored by PREMIUM TIMES on Friday, said the Senate should be more concerned about his performance, and not his uniform.

Mr. Ali, a retired colonel, was appointed Customs chief in 2015 by President Muhammadu Buhari, becoming the second to be so appointed from outside the service.

Under former military dictator, Ibrahim Babangida, Bello Haliru became the first head of Customs to be appointed from outside the service.

The Senate, Thursday, summoned Mr. Ali after Dino Melaye (APC, Kogi) told his colleagues that Mr. Ali had shown no regard to the lawmakers’ resolution that the planned clampdown on vehicles without duty payment be halted. The senators then stressed that he should appear in his full Customs uniform, which Mr. Ali has never worn.

“No, I was not appointed the Comptroller General to wear uniform,” stressed Mr. Ali. “Does the uniform work or the person behind the uniform?”

He added: “Am I doing my job or not? I think that’s what should interest the National Assembly.”

Two senators, Solomon Olamilekan (APC-Lagos) and Lanre Tejuoso (APC-Ogun), also said the Customs operatives had been “going after vehicles, lorries, imported rice”.

“If we suspect that smuggled items are brought into your own house, we have the rights to condone that house, and go in and search,” said Mr. Ali, hitting back at the senators.

The official said he was yet to receive the invitation to appear before the Senate.

He, however, said he was ready to appear before the Senate, if the invitation followed due process.

I am yet to receive formal invitation. If the proper procedures for official invitation to chief executives of government officials are followed, I will appear before the Senate.” he said.

Source: http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/225807-i-not-appointed-comptroller-general-wear-uniform-customs-hameed-ali-replies-senators.html

Watch the video below about the drama between the Customs Comptroller-General and the Senate.
https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/17184961_148152942372550_7367082408404844544_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjQxMiwicmxhIjo1MTIsInZlbmNvZGVfdGFnIjoic3ZlX3NkIn0%3D&oh=6e1a32da348c9933908dc41c591b0a60&oe=58C6DE27

Or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Y3sU4Bmzk

Re: Customs Comptroller-General Versus Senate by avadella(f): 5:06pm On Mar 13, 2017
Naija for life!
One day one drama grin

1 Like

Re: Customs Comptroller-General Versus Senate by CivilianJTF(m): 5:10pm On Mar 13, 2017
I learnt The Nigerian Customs is another arm of Nigerian paramilitary, so why wouldn't the Comptroller-General wear his uniform?

I am not understanding at all....

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Make una come see something abeg

1 Like

Re: Customs Comptroller-General Versus Senate by ademasta(m): 5:11pm On Mar 13, 2017
avadella:
Naija for life!
One day one drama grin
Seriously, this country wouldn't cease to amaze us
Re: Customs Comptroller-General Versus Senate by ademasta(m): 5:13pm On Mar 13, 2017
CivilianJTF:
I learnt The Nigerian Customs is another arm of Nigerian paramilitary, so why wouldn't the Comptroller-General wear his uniform?

I am not understanding at all....

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Make una come see something abeg
He wants to be a real democratic comptroller-general
Re: Customs Comptroller-General Versus Senate by joe4real12: 5:15pm On Mar 13, 2017
“If we suspect that smuggled items are brought into your own house, we have the rights to condone that house, and go in and search,” said Mr. Ali, hitting back at the senators.

So as dealer in rice, i now have to keep custom duties of rice bought by the importer in my warehouse because of customs grin

Ali will be better off as a comedian.
Re: Customs Comptroller-General Versus Senate by joe4real12: 5:16pm On Mar 13, 2017
ademasta:

He wants to be a real democratic comptroller-general
Democratic CG indeed grin

1 Like

Re: Customs Comptroller-General Versus Senate by ademasta(m): 5:19pm On Mar 13, 2017
joe4real12:

Democratic CG indeed grin
Democratic CG in agbada and babariga grin

1 Like

Re: Customs Comptroller-General Versus Senate by CivilianJTF(m): 5:20pm On Mar 13, 2017
joe4real12:

So as dealer in rice, i now have to keep custom duties of rice bought by the importer in my warehouse because of customs grin

Ali will be better off as a comedian.
Comic CG grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: DSS Disqualifies Magu As EFCC Chief / Autonomy For Local Govt. Will Free States From Financial Burden Gov. Amosun / APC Commends Governor Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.