Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know (4280 Views)

O A U Professor Gives Shocking Facts About 5G / 10 Things You Didn't Know About Covenant University: World Universities Ranking / 7 Shocking Facts About Afe Babalola University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by Nobody: 6:00pm On Mar 14, 2017
Snakes is one of the most common phobias
people have. It is quite understandable – some snakes are venomous, capable of killing us, so fearing them is actually just a matter of instinct. However, it would be unfair to think of snakes as slimy killers only. Snakes can be also viewed as amazing animals with incredible abilities. Did you
know, for example, that some snakes can fly? Or how about the snake that scares away predators by farting? To learn more about snakes, check out today’s post with 25 Shocking Facts about Snakes

25. Snakes live on every continent except
Antarctica and on most land masses.
Exceptions include some large islands,
such as Ireland, Iceland, Greenland, Hawaii, and New Zealand, as well as some small islands of the Atlantic and central Pacific Oceans.

24. Snakes range in size greatly - from the tiny, 10 cm (4 in) long thread snake to the giant reticulated python that can reach up to 7 m (23 ft) in length.

23. There are approximately 3,400 snake
species in the world, out of which only
about 600 are venomous. Out of those 600
venomous snakes, only 200 pose a serious
threat to humans.

22. Snakes have one of the highest
occurrences of polycephaly – a rare
condition of having more than one head.
There have been many cases of two-headed snakes. The heads might fight each other for food.

21. Snakes are believed to have evolved from four-legged reptilian ancestors, between 112 and 94 million years ago. Some snakes, such as pythons and boas, still have traces of back legs.

20. Snakes can live in almost any environment, ranging from jungles and deserts to lakes and mountains. Snakes have been actually found as high as 4,900 m (16,000 ft) in the Himalayas.

19. The muscles that cause a rattlesnake´s
rattle to shake are some of the fastest
known, firing 50 times per second on
average, sustained for up to 3 hours.

18. The bite of the black mamba, one of the
world´s most venomous snakes, can cause
collapse in humans within just 45 minutes.
Before antivenom was widely available, the
mortality rate from this snake´s bite was
nearly 100%.

17. Many snakes have highly mobile jaws that enable them to swallow prey much larger than their heads.

16. There is an island in Brazil, known as the
Snake Island, that arguably has the highest
occurrence of snakes in the world. It is
estimated that there is one snake on every
1 sq m (11 sq ft).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by Crownofwealth(m): 6:05pm On Mar 14, 2017
I SMELL FRONT PAGE HERE. LALASTICLALA THE SNAKE MAN.

4 Likes

Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by stewatt(m): 6:11pm On Mar 14, 2017
Is it through that looking at a snake eye for eye can make one unconscious?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by Nobody: 6:15pm On Mar 14, 2017
15. Native to tropical rainforests of South
America, the green anaconda is considered
the heaviest and largest snake in the world.
It can reportedly exceed 227 kg (500 lb) in
weight and reach almost 9 m (30 ft) in
length.

14. Also known as the western taipan, the
small-scaled snake, or the fierce snake, the
inland taipan is the most venomous snake
in the world. It is estimated that one bite
from this Australian snake possesses
enough lethality to kill at least 100 full
grown men.

13. Pit vipers, pythons, and some boas have
infrared-sensitive receptors in deep
grooves on the snout, which allows them
to "see" the radiated heat of warm-blooded
prey.

12. Venomous snakes kill about 90,000 people around the world each year. Yet, they are far from being the deadliest animals –
mosquitoes, for example, cause over a
million human deaths annually.

11. There is a genus commonly known as the
flying (or gliding) snakes. Native to
Southeast Asia, these snakes are capable
of gliding over distances as great as 100 m
(330 ft).

10. A snake’s fangs usually last only about 6–10 weeks. When a fang wears out, a new one grows in its place.

9. To accommodate their narrow bodies,
snakes' paired organs (such as kidneys)
appear one in front of the other instead of
side by side. Most snakes also have only
one functional lung.

8. When startled, frightened, or threatened,
the Sonoran coral snake (also known as the
Arizona coral snake) will hide its head
under its body and raise and tightly curl its
tail. While in this posture, it will then fart
noisily.

7. The decapitated head of a dead snake can
still bite even several hours after death. In
fact, such bites often contain large
amounts of venom.

6. Historically, snakebites were seen as a
means of execution in some cultures. In
medieval Europe, a form of capital
punishment was to throw people into
snake pits, leaving them to die from
multiple venomous bites.
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by Larryfest(m): 6:19pm On Mar 14, 2017
I hate those things with passion.....
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by teekrackz(m): 6:22pm On Mar 14, 2017
Snake trend and fp.
Our Jacob Zuma do ur work
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by Nobody: 6:23pm On Mar 14, 2017
5. Snakes do not have eyelids. Instead, they
have so called brille, a layer of transparent,
immovable disc-shaped skin or scale
covering the eyes for protection.

4. Some snakes can survive without food for
up to two years by reducing their energy
expenditure. One scientific study even
suggests that snakes can digest their own
hearts when starved for too long.

3. Most species of snakes lay eggs, and some
species are ovoviviparous (i.e. they retain
the eggs within their bodies until they are
ready to hatch), but it was recently found
out, that several species (such as the boa
constrictor and the green anaconda) are
fully viviparous (giving live births).

2. To keep from choking on large prey, a
snake will push the end of its trachea, or
windpipe, out of its mouth, similar to the
way a snorkel works.

1. All snakes are strictly carnivorous.
Depending on their size, however, their
prey differs considerably. The smallest
snakes feed on insects, snails, mice etc.,
while the largest snakes can kill and eat
anything from an antelope and a kangaroo
to a pig and even an alligator.

1 Share

Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by teekrackz(m): 6:24pm On Mar 14, 2017
Op na pics remain for u
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by DirewolfofStark(m): 6:25pm On Mar 14, 2017
The Only Thing That Matters About Snakes On Nairaland Is Lalasticlala's Love For Them

1 Like

Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by teekrackz(m): 6:28pm On Mar 14, 2017
Snake trend and fp.
Oya Jacob Zuma do ur work
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by Nobody: 6:38pm On Mar 14, 2017
stewatt:
Is it through that looking at a snake eye for eye can make one unconscious?

No.
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by Nobody: 6:40pm On Mar 14, 2017
teekrackz:
Op na pics remain for u

I have done that grin
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by squarelead(m): 6:41pm On Mar 14, 2017
Good one... But I need a job
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by decatalyst(m): 6:54pm On Mar 14, 2017
26. As scary and deadly a snake is, one individual is a fan of this creature. He can't seems to be able to grapple with their beauty enough to the extent that, snake is probably the password to his gadgets and beloved forum. He is so obsessed with snake to the extent that, snake threads makes FP more than real news on nairaland! grin grin

A person who doesn't know that snake is the password to make LALASTICLALA to come view and push your thread to FP, is that one a Nairalander? undecided

grin

2 Likes

Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by Emmanuel602(m): 7:52pm On Mar 14, 2017
Mek I book space. Since it's a snake thread, it's definitely heading to the promise land grin grin Educative though
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by lordraiden(m): 7:54pm On Mar 14, 2017
I hate snakes
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by rattlesnake(m): 7:56pm On Mar 14, 2017
My thread cheesy
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by rattlesnake(m): 7:57pm On Mar 14, 2017
lordraiden:
I hate snakes
even me?? undecided
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by illicit(m): 8:00pm On Mar 14, 2017
phobia for snake is known as OPHIDIOPHOBIA
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by chybykee(m): 8:05pm On Mar 14, 2017
the green snake is beautiful
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by Nobody: 8:24pm On Mar 14, 2017
illicit:
phobia for snake is known as OPHIDIOPHOBIA

pls can you enlighten me better... I'll like to get rid of that nonsense called..(OPHIDIOPHOBIA)

I took every courage in me to open this thrash because of (OPHIDIOPHOBIA)

tell me how to overcome it
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by Nobody: 9:03pm On Mar 14, 2017
chybykee:
the green snake is beautiful

You can have it as a pet if your want.

They might be friendly grin

1 Like

Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by yusufibrahim(m): 9:15pm On Mar 14, 2017
Snake movement iritate me.... I even hate snakes generally......... * 7. The decapitated head of a dead snake can
still bite even several hours after death. In
fact, such bites often contain large
amounts of venom.*** this really get me scared
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by mytime24(f): 9:41pm On Mar 14, 2017
Lala is dat U
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by Mortiple(m): 9:54pm On Mar 14, 2017
I hate everything called snake.

On a side note, it is a taboo to eat two species of Snake in my clan - cobra and python.
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by Kylekent59: 9:56pm On Mar 14, 2017
Fp tins
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by Nobody: 9:59pm On Mar 14, 2017
Fvck snakes
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by Nobody: 9:59pm On Mar 14, 2017
I'm scared
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by Ichel: 10:07pm On Mar 14, 2017
plot bought
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by alexov(m): 10:14pm On Mar 14, 2017
I so hate snakes. The annoying thing is they most likely will never become endangered because of how much they reproduce.
Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by Kylekent59: 10:20pm On Mar 14, 2017
The inland taipan is d most vernomous

Re: 25 Shocking Facts About Snakes That You Probably Didn't Know by 1shortblackboy: 10:25pm On Mar 14, 2017
Snake thread? Lalasticlala disapoint me for once dont send this to the front page

(1) (2) (Reply)

When Will Jupeb Result Be Released? / ABU Admission List (merit) And Direct Entry Out!!! / Post Pictures/ Profile Of Notable Nigerians Who Attended Your University.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.