Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? (6526 Views)

Drone Shot Of Adeleke University At Night And In The Day Time (photos) / Cherubim And Seraphim Church To Establish University At Omu Aran Kwara / Azubuike Ezenwoke Appointed As Registrar In Landmark University At Age Of 32 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by haneetram: 5:34am On Mar 17, 2017
Hello everyone. Our educational sector is a major sector in Nigeria and improving it should be important. I am happy that some private bodies are also assisting the government in improving the sector by providing books, and other school supplies for students. But something bothers me. Is there a change in Nigerian education system Or most Nigerian kids are now geniuses that no longer need to go through high school before entering a University? If true, that is good news but if not, please can someone explain?
Some schools abroad have started denying very young students admission due to experiences of these students not being able to cater for themselves and a lot of them are Nigerians. If it is now possible to be a graduate from high school at that age, them some extra classes should be created to groom students to be mature enough and ready for what is ahead.

I try to help in ways I can. I am a medical student in china with love for education and helping people who have difficulties in school. From experience I try to share study tips, how to be productive, memorization tips and more.
You can check out my YouTube channel: Teenahs Lounge . Thank you.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-y7zm6hRNcNTLIT4qBEyNg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtlPzhCRK5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTj3yW4zepw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_8bEKuk-bE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6DFCMnCnkw

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by bbm2016(m): 5:46am On Mar 17, 2017
They are considering the effect of the next ASUU strike
Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by ikp120(m): 6:38am On Mar 17, 2017
Age is just a number! angry angry

History has proven that true over and over again. Experience? Did experience suddenly pop up in your head as you dey grow up? No be as you do things when experience dey come? Age doesn't guarantee experience; exposure and mental awareness do! cool cool cool

Extra classes? To make kids mature? Jeez! sad sad

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by Nobody: 6:41am On Mar 17, 2017
If I got you correctly, you're referring to under age right? They don't need to be groomed but experience would teach them.When they experience some things in life,they will be groomed naturally

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by Neddstark: 6:50am On Mar 17, 2017
Reminds me of a 24 year old guy that was dating a 16year old girl he met in the university. When the parents discovered she was sexually active, they called the cops on the poor guy. The guy's family, doing very ok, defended their son. The question was, you know shes ineligible to date. Why enroll her in the university?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by feran15(m): 6:53am On Mar 17, 2017
If they can pass the same exam an 18 year old can pass, why deny them?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by feran15(m): 6:55am On Mar 17, 2017
Neddstark:
Reminds me of a 24 year old guy that was dating a 16year old girl he met in the university. When the parents discovered she was sexually active, they called the cops on the poor guy. The guy's family, doing very ok, defended their son. The question was, you know shes ineligible to date. Why enroll her in the university?

Lol because the purpose of establishing a university is so that people can have sex

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by ednut1(m): 7:44am On Mar 17, 2017
Most times its the cost of education that drives parents to rush thier wards
Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by seunlly(m): 7:55am On Mar 17, 2017
Most of them is a private schools student.
Public school will never allow sss1 student to sit down for ssce even if his brilliant or not

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by Neddstark: 8:45am On Mar 17, 2017
feran15:

Lol because the purpose of establishing a university is so that people can have sex

Lowminds like you are probably a product of those glorified secondary schools tagged as a university.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by hardbody: 9:08am On Mar 17, 2017
haneetram:
Hello everyone. Our educational sector is a major sector in Nigeria and improving it should be important. I am happy that some private bodies are also assisting the government in improving the sector by providing books, and other school supplies for students. But something bothers me. Is there a change in Nigerian education system Or most Nigerian kids are now geniuses that no longer need to go through high school before entering a University? If true, that is good news but if not, please can someone explain?
Some schools abroad have started denying very young students admission due to experiences of these students not being able to cater for themselves and a lot of them are Nigerians. If it is now possible to be a graduate from high school at that age, them some extra classes should be created to groom students to be mature enough and ready for what is ahead.

I try to help in ways I can. I am a medical student in china with love for education and helping people who have difficulties in school. From experience I try to share study tips, how to be productive, memorization tips and more.

I honestly feel you. There was this girl that came to my company as an IT student. She will be graduating from the Polytechnic later this year at age 20. When she first came to the Company and was introduced to me as my IT hand, i asked her age, she said she was 17 going to 18. I rationalized that she had already done 2 or 3 years in school?

And you need to see the kids in my former secondary school. Very tiny tots and I am wondering what really changed. Anyways, I can't blame them, with employers of labour reducing age qualification to 20 years post graduation before you can write job qualifying tests

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by Nobody: 9:33am On Mar 17, 2017
haneetram:

Remember that most kids these days start school much earlier than back in the day.

And yes, most private schools' curricula seem to be on steroids.

It's more of a trend

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by YOUNGrapha(m): 10:15am On Mar 17, 2017
yes I believe they do that in order to start any business of their own after that useless thing called university

for we that got admission by eighteenth before we could finished we are tweenty eighth then no job we had no choice than to start learning business trade for four years........had I known I should ve start business and forget about this crap called university maybe by now I would have been competing with the likes of dangote and bill gates

WALAHI I REGRET GOING TO UNI......SEE AS BUSINESS DEY SWEET
Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by Toniwirelex: 10:16am On Mar 17, 2017
I remember vividly wen I was doing online registration and clicking accommodation for 100level students a while back, after successfully clicking accommodation for one of the students that came along with his father, the father returned to tell me that I should click another room for his son, I asked why, he said his son was too young to be climbing stairs, that his son wont cope with the stress..
out of curiosity I searched for the boy's name to check how old he was, it was to a high level of dismay I got to know that he was just 13...
there were so many other students within that age range when I did some more searching..
parents should stop forcing their children into higher institutions at a very tender age, ages when their gullibility is at its highest.
You may not like what they become at the end of their programs.. No be who first start dey first make am in life..

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by Nobody: 11:18am On Mar 17, 2017
This kind public university grammar grin
seunlly:
Most of them is a private schools student.
Public school will never allow sss1 student to sit down for ssce even if his brilliant or not

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by sirfit: 11:35am On Mar 17, 2017
Design your own networking site at a cheap rate
Buy networking scripts at a cheap rate
Whatsapp 09071512992
Hurry now
Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by Nobody: 11:48am On Mar 17, 2017
feran15:

I just tire.
Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by Tazdroid(m): 12:07pm On Mar 17, 2017
bbm2016:
They are considering the effect of the next ASUU strike
grin grin strike fit happen anytime unless na final year them post the students go

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by tripoli007(m): 12:11pm On Mar 17, 2017
feran15:

and how many people go through a university,where you have little or no watch at all and don't have sex ?even the almighty private schools
Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by feran15(m): 12:38pm On Mar 17, 2017
Neddstark:

Lowminds like you are probably a product of those glorified secondary schools tagged as a university.

But why does it hurt you so much?

Its even illegal for a 24 year old to have sex with a 16 year old. How can a federal school student not know that. The guy is even an idiot

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by Tazdroid(m): 12:47pm On Mar 17, 2017
It varies from person to person. Some kids are super smart these days. After assessing their capabilities and limits, one would ask whether it's still necessary to make them pass through secondary school and delay their rise to prominence and greatness.

It'll be a novel practice in Nigeria but the teenagers should be properly assessed before posting them to tertiary institutions because sometimes, things are not done properly in this country

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by mercytripletz: 3:22pm On Mar 17, 2017
Seriously, Kids these days are very brilliant and they grow faster than their ages too.
My brilliant neighbour clocked 15 last week and she in the University. I can say she is the smartest in my neighbourhood.
Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Mar 17, 2017
Kids these days are really good in terms of academics.

I got admitted to a university at 14,but turned it down as it wasn't what I wanted that was in 2015;and also,my mom was against me going to a tertiary institution untill I turn 17.
Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by Neddstark: 3:50pm On Mar 17, 2017
feran15:

But why does it hurt you so much?

Its even illegal for a 24 year old to have sex with a 16 year old. How can a federal school student not know that. The guy is even an idiot

Not just about sex. What about other vices. Alcohol, cultism. If i entered the university younger than 18 and i was been intimidated, there's a high probability I would have been a cultist.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by braine(m): 4:28pm On Mar 17, 2017
They grow fast and the advent of technology has made everything simple.
Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by Demayour: 4:57pm On Mar 17, 2017
We are in an age called the 'jet age' where everything is super-fast. Even maturity that seems to be lacking these days among young people is even missing among the elderly. Perhaps Nigeria need to get it right by considering a curriculum like that of India where it us mandatory for every kid to pass through technical school as normal educational curriculum and by 18, they can go on for university education. India has the highest number of smart kids in the world.
It is also degrading that though we think kids are more smarter than their age cohorts back in the days, yet achievement level in terms of long lasting contributions to the national development has reduced.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by BrutusOj(m): 5:38pm On Mar 17, 2017
Toniwirelex:
I remember vividly wen I was doing online registration and clicking accommodation for 100level students a while back, after successfully clicking accommodation for one of the students that came along with his father, the father returned to tell me that I should click another room for his son, I asked why, he said his son was too young to be climbing stairs, that his son wont cope with the stress..
out of curiosity I searched for the boy's name to check how old he was, it was to a high level of dismay I got to know that he was just 13...
there were so many other students within that age range when I did some more searching..
parents should stop forcing their children into higher institutions at a very tender age, ages when their gullibility is at its highest.
You may not like what they become at the end of their programs.. No be who first start dey first make am in life..
well said, one of the reasons why we have high moral decadence everywhere now. Most of those kids suffer in the hands of the bad guys on campus as they are easily deceived into joining bad gangs. Tell me if that little kid mentioned above won't have a school father on campus? what decision can that one take on his own at that tender age?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by Shadowy: 6:06pm On Mar 17, 2017
Agreed there are a few smart young ones out there, I recently had a chat with a 13 year old and I was really surprised when he made reasonable contributions and then his wide knowledge about politics, culture, etc..Yet most of them aren't prepared for the rigour of higher institutions.

And I've also met others(13-15yrs), sadly, bunch of dunderheads who kept jumping classes till they got out of sec at 13/14, of course thanks to the parents. They don't learn what they're supposed to learn. I don't get the rush.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by greenmonk: 6:46pm On Mar 17, 2017
Shadowy:
Agreed there are a few smart young ones out there, I recently had a chat with a 13 year old and I was really surprised when he made reasonable contributions and then his wide knowledge about politics, culture, etc..Yet most of them aren't prepared for the rigour of higher institutions.

And I've also met others(13-15yrs), sadly, bunch of dunderheads who keeps jumping classes till they're out of sec at 13/14, of course thanks to the parents. They don't learn what they're supposed to learn. I don't get the rush.

I had one in my neighborhood who a primary 2 pupil was thrashing in English language & dictation but was moved from primary 3 to secondary school. I was flabbergasted.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by AgbenuAnna(f): 7:28pm On Mar 17, 2017
when you go for interview and they ask you for 6 years experience and you are just 24 how do u get d experience if not by going to school early?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Entering University At 14 Years? What Is Going On? by fineyemi(m): 7:50pm On Mar 17, 2017
what a nice topic. am following..

(1) (2) (Reply)

ASCI Holds Inter-School Quiz Competition To Mark Day of The African Child / Nairaland Interschool Debate Third Edition Elimination Stage Best Essays / "Global Wealth University: Accredited By The Ministry Of Higher Education And Re

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.