Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,486 members, 7,836,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

The “a" And “an" Dilemma - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The “a" And “an" Dilemma (313 Views)

Pls Advice Me On My Dilemma With My Female Neighbor (pic Attached) / My Dilemma With A Married Woman I Encountered In My Office / Linda Ikeji: The Dilemma Nigerian / Nairaland Feminists Face Right Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The “a" And “an" Dilemma by JhyMedex: 2:07pm On Mar 19, 2017
The Rule
Use “a” when the following word begins with a consonant
sound; use “an” when the following word begins with a vowel sound . What matters is how the following word is pronounced, not what it looks like. In the example sentence, “MNC” begins with a consonant, but it begins with the sound of the vowel “e,” since we would pronounce it as “em en see.”

Extra Credit
Some people, especially those who are trying extra hard to sound erudite, will use “an” before a word that begins with the letter “h,” such as “an historical artifact.” In the United States, this usage is incorrect. Instead, we write, “a historical artifact.”

Source :https://www.englishrules.com/writing/2005/a-versus-an-the-indefinite-article/..
Helpful I hope...

(1) (Reply)

Off / Cannabis(weed)patch That Heals Fibromyalgia And Diabetic Nerve Pain / Waiting Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 4
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.