Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,939 members, 7,810,610 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle (33788 Views)

Naira Gains, Dollar Crashes At Parallel Market / NAIRA WATCH: Panic Grips Forex Dealers As Naira Rises To N385/$ / As Naira Gains, Neighbouring Countries Ease Rush For Nigerian Goods (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle by longerthroat(m): 12:36pm On Mar 27, 2017
I changed #350 to $1 last Friday here in Lagos, and the BDC operator was crying cos he bought those dollars at #400. seems we are getting there gradually.

1 Like

Re: Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle by longerthroat(m): 12:37pm On Mar 27, 2017
I changed #350 to $1 last Friday here in Lagos, and the BDC operator was crying cos he bought those dollars at #400. seems we are getting there gradually.
Re: Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle by LordAdam16: 12:40pm On Mar 27, 2017
989900:

I get your angle (correct), I just felt they should know their profit margin will always be worked out, and they should know the party is ending already . . . high margin profits will be winding down from now.

No you don't get my angle.

Last week Monday, it was Gwadabe that started the propaganda that dollars will sell for 415 in the parallel market by the end of the week. At the time it was 450. By Friday, it sold for 380-400.

Why do you think he made that statement, if he is not pro-CBN.

The reward for his efforts is the loss of 130m by his members.

CBN was the one that agreed with the BDC association to peg BDC rate at 381 buying, 399 selling. Many association members did not agree, and became street traders at parallel market rate. Gwadabe leading the compliant members of the BDC association stood by the CBN and maintained the official CBN set BDC rate.

He stayed with the CBN rate even when the parallel market rate fell to 520, which is 120 above the pegged BDC rate. What is the reward for his loyalty?

CBN announced this morning to reduce Bank rate to 360. And did nothing to reduce BDC rate (at least yet).

Gwadabe and his compliant BDC members have been used and dumped (at least for the time being until the CBN reduces the rate they sell to them). And you who should know better is championing this preposterous stabbing in the back.

I could accept it from all these no-good economic illiterates loitering the forum who do not even understand exchange not to talk of rate. But from you, you should know better.

-Lord
Re: Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle by 989900: 1:12pm On Mar 27, 2017
LordAdam16:

No you don't get my angle.

Last week Monday, it was Gwadabe that started the propaganda that dollars will sell for 415 in the parallel market by the end of the week. At the time it was 450. By Friday, it sold for 380-400.

Why do you think he made that statement, if he is not pro-CBN.

The reward for his efforts is the loss of 130m by his members.

CBN was the one that agreed with the BDC association to peg BDC rate at 381 buying, 399 selling. Many association members did not agree, and became street traders at parallel market rate. Gwadabe leading the compliant members of the BDC association stood by the CBN and maintained the official CBN set BDC rate.

He stayed with the CBN rate even when the parallel market rate fell to 520, which is 120 above the pegged BDC rate. What is the reward for his loyalty?

CBN announced this morning to reduce Bank rate to 360. And did nothing to reduce BDC rate (at least yet).

Gwadabe and his compliant BDC members have been used and dumped (at least for the time being until the CBN reduces the rate they sell to them). And you who should know better is championing this preposterous stabbing in the back.

I could accept it from all these no-good economic illiterates loitering the forum who do not even understand exchange not to talk of rate. But from you, you should know better.

-Lord

They will be taken care of, it's just Monday morning . . ..
Re: Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle by LordAdam16: 3:44pm On Mar 27, 2017
989900:

They will be taken care of, it's just Monday morning . . ..

After they've lost 130m and expect to lose around 30-45m today.

And after they've been lampooned by Nigerians as enemies of progress.

U guys sure know how to give those fighting your battles a treat.

Little wonder Gwadabe mouth is silent about further drop in the value of dollar.

And let's not get started about the CBN reducing the spread of banks selling invisibles from 19% to 1% and expect them to be compliant.

I knew this policy was unsustainable, but now I'm just disappointed that the CBN is trying harder to lose than to win.

Anyway, I'm done pointing it out to you. And it's good that you've retraced your steps.

If you know anyone who needs invisibles now or before the end of next week, tell the person to rush to the bank and get dollars now that it's still cheap and the process is relatively not strenuous.

That's all I have to say. lipsrsealed

-Lord
Re: Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle by 989900: 4:21pm On Mar 27, 2017
LordAdam16:

After they've lost 130m and expect to lose around 30-45m today.

And after they've been lampooned by Nigerians as enemies of progress.

U guys sure know how to give those fighting your battles a treat.

Little wonder Gwadabe mouth is silent about further drop in the value of dollar.

And let's not get started about the CBN reducing the spread of banks selling invisibles from 19% to 1% and expect them to be compliant.

I knew this policy was unsustainable, but now I'm just disappointed that the CBN is trying harder to lose than to win.

Anyway, I'm done pointing it out to you. And it's good that you've retraced your steps.

If you know anyone who needs invisibles now or before the end of next week, tell the person to rush to the bank and get dollars now that it's still cheap and the process is relatively not strenuous.

That's all I have to say. lipsrsealed

-Lord

When they were gaining in multiples no one heard.
I like how you paint them like saints.
I won't go into their shenanigans now.
It is a busy day for me, have a nice one.
Re: Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle by LordAdam16: 4:22pm On Mar 27, 2017
989900:

When they were gaining in multiples no one heard.
I like how you paint them like saints.
I won't go into their shenanigans now.
It is a busy day for me, have a nice one.

It's a business not a charity.

Do have a nice day too.

-Lord
Re: Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle by Okuda(m): 5:13pm On Mar 27, 2017
longerthroat:

Like real crying?
Re: Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle by Okuda(m): 5:16pm On Mar 27, 2017
enairaprof:
For those who don't understand what the BDC Operators are saying, let me break it down. Let's not jump into conclusion without understanding an issue properly.

First, BDC Operators are not against the Naira gaining strength. This is the situation:

CBN sells dollar to BDC Operators at the rate of N381 and they expected them to sell to people at the rate of N399 so they gain N18 per dollar.

Meanwhile, CBN also sells same dollar to Banks, and banks sell to customers at the rate of N375. This means that CBN must have sold to banks at a cheaper rate.

The effect is that people rather go to banks to buy dollars than go to BDC.

How can you buy from CBN at N381 and your competitors sell at N375?

All they are asking for is a level playing field NOT that Naira should not gain strength. Are they not spending naira too?

Actually, someone told me this in December/January that Buhari wants to phase out BDCs and this was told to him by a BDC man.. They have been thinking of the strategy to do it and I guess this is it.
Re: Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle by DJMCOTTY(m): 6:54pm On Mar 27, 2017
jazinogold:
Good job...I pray oil price soar up so they can sustain this injection! The BDC where the cause of the dollar scarcity!

CBN rite now b like.... talk to the ass

this ass is fine sha!!
Re: Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle by kikelomojessy(f): 7:21pm On Mar 27, 2017
Most of the top people complaining own BDC too, they are not complaining to help any one but themselves. When they were enjoying the huge profit, they did not increase my salary and now they are crying. God pls let it go down to 190 overnight.

Teacher1776:
So BDC is now crying? The cabals are now showing their true faces! Who did it report to when it was making bogus profits when it wickedly jumped from 450 to 500 per dollar?
Aminu or whatever you call yourself, if you can't cope, please close your shop. The entire country cannot continue to suffer just to satisfy your greed.

2 Likes

Re: Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle by wengerman: 8:24pm On Mar 27, 2017
This Gwadabe guy is not telling the whole truth, is he turning economics on its head, how can he be selling at 385 where I don't need any paper work and I will leave him and go to a bank to buy at 399 and with a lot of paper work.
Re: Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle by bigsmoke2(m): 9:47pm On Mar 27, 2017
omenkaLives:
Someone call that scum gobbling prehistoric Senegalese monument called Reno O'mockery to come read this and tell Nigerians whom to blame. angry

Reno O'simpleton will be contemplating right now grin
Re: Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle by Deepfreezer(m): 10:51pm On Mar 27, 2017
sekem:

At 190, it's not dropping.

Rather, it's climbing. cheesy wink
thanks

1 Like

Re: Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle by 123papas(m): 11:49am On Mar 31, 2017
Good point but to deviate a bit, the BDCs were not selling at 399. The BDCs are also the Black Market.
olujastro:
So many ignorant posts here.
BDCs are different from aboki in the black market. The CBN supplies the BDCs fx legitimately at 381 and asked them to sell at a maximum of 399 when the black market was Crazily high at 500.
Now that the black has crashed below the BDC rates, they're asking the CBN to adjust their rates so they can stay in business ahead of the black market.
Re: Bureaux De Change At Risk As Naira Gains More Muscle by LordAdam16: 12:05pm On Mar 31, 2017
123papas:
Good point but to deviate a bit, the BDCs were not selling at 399. The BDCs are also the Black Market.

Some were selling at 399.

The move to accept the CBN offer to regulate BDC rate was met by opposition in some quarters of the association (as you'd expect in any business). Gwadabe led the compliant sellers, others just did whatever they liked.

-Lord

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osinbajo Announces 80% Slash For NAFDAC Registration Fee / Kings Flour Mill In Akwa Ibom In Pictures / CBN Staff Setting Value Of Naira In Lagos In 1987

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.